Male HQ

Menu advice - quasi cooking in school for one

LeGrad

Hi there awesome peeps from BW,

I would like to ask you guys for pro tips/advice/etc. So i've been trying out to eat healthier cos reasons, and since i'm about to finish my thesis i'm kinda stuck to living in hall/school. So here's what i do have -

1. Access to a fridge
2. An electric lunch box that's surprisingly effective in steaming stuff (which includes cooking rice)
3. A small toaster oven which can cook fish / chicken breast
4. A microwave

I've been quite successful in cooking things like hot pot stuff (egg noodles, with mushroom, brocolli, hot dogs), pasta (microwaving the pasta in the microwave while cooking the sauce in electric lunch box, and roasting stuff like pumpkin and eggplants (awesome combo btw), but i'm kinda running out of ideas.

So TLDR, poor grad student wants advice on what to cook in school. Cheap cheap and healthy is good! :)

Thank you in advance, and pls dun troll me! (pls pls pls)

6 minutes ago, NtuLad15 said:

I would like to ask you guys for pro tips/advice/etc. So i've been trying out to eat healthier cos reasons, and since i'm about to finish my thesis i'm kinda stuck to living in hall/school. So here's what i do have -

1. Access to a fridge
2. An electric lunch box that's surprisingly effective in steaming stuff (which includes cooking rice)
3. A small toaster oven which can cook fish / chicken breast
4. A microwave

I've been quite successful in cooking things like hot pot stuff (egg noodles, with mushroom, brocolli, hot dogs), pasta (microwaving the pasta in the microwave while cooking the sauce in electric lunch box, and roasting stuff like pumpkin and eggplants (awesome combo btw), but i'm kinda running out of ideas.

So TLDR, poor grad student wants advice on what to cook in school. Cheap cheap and healthy is good! :)

Thank you in advance, and pls dun troll me! (pls pls pls)

i used to use the electric steamer to cook rice plus veg plus meat plus dried mushroom together. first you soak the mushroom and then cut into halves. cook the rice first, midway then u add everything else in plus veg oyster sauce (aka mushroom sauce). once done you have a tasty meal. 

never cook egg solely in the metallic bowl.. the bowl sure gg. 

Edited by firefight

1 minute ago, firefight said:

i used to use the electric steamer to cook rice plus veg plus meat plus dried mushroom together. first you soak the mushroom and then cut into halves. cook the rice first, midway then u add everything else in plus veg oyster sauce (aka mushroom sauce). once done you have a tasty meal. 

never cook egg solely in the metallic bowl.. the bowl sure gg. 

ooo thanks for the pro tip! i should get oyster sauce. Currently i have teriyaki and sukiyaki sauce.

42 minutes ago, NtuLad15 said:

ooo thanks for the pro tip! i should get oyster sauce. Currently i have teriyaki and sukiyaki sauce.

teriyaki is used for anything to grill or microwave in your case. sukiyaki is for soups but watch the sodium regardless of whatever sauce used. i usually spam black pepper flakes and obtain the flavours from the foods i cook rather than add sauces.

Edited by firefight

On 1/28/2019 at 10:11 PM, NtuLad15 said:

Yay, I just wanna reply so that I can be awesome! xD

Anyway, microwaves are not for cooking, so wouldn't advise using that other than heating things up.

Since you have a fridge, you can buy in bulk for cheaper and store it for the whole week's consumption. Eggs are cheap and good. I suggest stocking up on eggs everytime. They're versatile and can go well with anything.

@firefight's suggestion is good! That's the most economic way to cook stuff if you're short of space/cooking utensils. 

I'm recently into porridge though; trying to lose weight. xD

You could cook your rice until it starts to boil, then lower down the heat so that the water doesn't dry up. Then you can just chuck stuff inside to make a thick porridge thingie with your other ingredients, or you can makan it plain with other ingredients that you've baked/cooked.

Can I assume you're not local if you're staying back in school even after your thesis is done?

8 hours ago, Nipoet said:

Yay, I just wanna reply so that I can be awesome! xD

Anyway, microwaves are not for cooking, so wouldn't advise using that other than heating things up.

Since you have a fridge, you can buy in bulk for cheaper and store it for the whole week's consumption. Eggs are cheap and good. I suggest stocking up on eggs everytime. They're versatile and can go well with anything.

@firefight's suggestion is good! That's the most economic way to cook stuff if you're short of space/cooking utensils. 

I'm recently into porridge though; trying to lose weight. xD

You could cook your rice until it starts to boil, then lower down the heat so that the water doesn't dry up. Then you can just chuck stuff inside to make a thick porridge thingie with your other ingredients, or you can makan it plain with other ingredients that you've baked/cooked.

Can I assume you're not local if you're staying back in school even after your thesis is done?

Hahaha, you’re awesome regardless @Nipoet

I’m trying to replace rice tho. Partially also because I don’t have place to store it.

• 3 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.