Male HQ

How many willing to live in 1 or 2 room Flat after 55

Guest Worry

Guest disclosed yourself
On 3/7/2019 at 4:49 PM, Guest Guest said:

Thats the government's job to ensure houses for senior's houses are well taken care off. All you need is 1 person doing 1 hr per flat per day. That will take 1 staff doing 8 flats every day  this will also employ a pool of singaporeans as singaporeans desprately need jobs. Its killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

That's my response to this statement that "a pool of Singaporeans desperately "needs jobs.

https://stats.mom.gov.sg/Pages/Unemployment-Summary-Table.aspx

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahakoa he iti kete, he iti nā te aroha.

On 3/8/2019 at 3:28 PM, tomcat said:

Yes, I am looking forward to downsize the home at 50-55. That would be the age for semi or full retirement if all goes well.
The plan would be to travel a few months a year, but still have a small studio in Singapore as a homebase.

To be honest, I am already living a pretty domestic life with my life partner and pets. So the only thing that would change is that our extended family would be older by then, maybe parents either elderly or passed, with siblings and nieces and nephews for regular meets.

Probably, we will still continue living a simple life, exercise, tend to plants, (maybe a home garden if we get good sunlight!), not much will change, just that our jobs wont be the major preoccupation anymore. 

But observing post retirement elderly, it's very important to keep one active, in both mind and body. I don't mind taking some classes, and doing some freelancing online work also. We intend to keep active and travelling until our 70s or later, just like most senior travellers that we have met.

So keeping a smaller apartment that is just nice for 1 or 2 as a homebase sounds perfect actually. It will be really sad though once either one of us goes first. 
Sad reality of life - making each day count.

i like your ideas, pm me to share more thought about it

Guest disclosed yourself
21 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

huh?
seemed like Firday would help him do up an interior design proposal for Tomcat & his beloved partner

It's Singapore Design Week....

But maybe he wants to do the homesitting when tomcat is traveling overseas and feed his cats n dogs during that time.... oh, and water the home garden...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He tangata takahi manuhiri, he marae puehu.

30 minutes ago, Firday said:

i start to go HDB but with less fruitful event,

HDB ask me to wait for May allotment, but 3 spot not ideally also above 173k.

Will try again.

And that is just 1-2rm flat???

Guest Hosting

Wondering if someone here knows. If we have a foreign relative or visitor staying a month or so, is there any problem, or any legalities like report to local authorities?

Guest disclosed yourself
18 minutes ago, Guest Hosting said:

Wondering if someone here knows. If we have a foreign relative or visitor staying a month or so, is there any problem, or any legalities like report to local authorities?

No problem, as long as they have a social visit pass (and if you don't take money for allowing them to sleep at your place).

Therefore, your sweet boy from Batam can visit you for a month...  but make sure he received a Visit Pass for 1 month.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He wha tawhara ki uta, he kiko tamure ki tai.

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Guest Hosting said:

Why stay for a month? Holiday in singapore so long? Please do not encourage ft to stay in sg for so long! Our mrt is up to breaking point! Everywhere is too crowded! Stay 2 to 3 days, i am fine but stay 1 month is too much!come here look for job is it?

Guest You think what.
4 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Why stay for a month? Holiday in singapore so long? Please do not encourage ft to stay in sg for so long! Our mrt is up to breaking point! Everywhere is too crowded! Stay 2 to 3 days, i am fine but stay 1 month is too much!come here look for job is it?

According to my experience, most foreigners try to stay for 1 month in the hope to land a job and than get a working pass.  You think I don't know issit?

Guest disclosed yourself
1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Because of 1 guy more the MRT is breaking down? Overcrowded? I m laughing now.

If it his cousin, a Chinese Malaysian you would say , not to look for job here too? Many Malaysian convert to Singaporean. The culture is quite the same, in most cases they are even friendlier.

Have you taken the MRT at 3pm? It is quite empty.

I had an expat friend from my visit in Europe some years back, he was staying in my place 2 months, just relaxing, traveling a bit to Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia.

He wasn't looking for a job.

you really have serious problems....

Give the guy some distraction too. Maybe his friend is a nice Thai boy, after work he is coming home, opens the door, you can smell the Tom Yam, he will say:

"Oh you back home now, Come here I make you happy happy. Go sofa first I giving you good massage". You will enjoying my food. Later I giving you nice dessert too.  Because you liking sticky rice...."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He kakariki kai ata.

On 3/11/2019 at 12:11 PM, Firday said:

i start to go HDB but with less fruitful event,

HDB ask me to wait for May allotment, but 3 spot not ideally also above 173k.

Will try again.

Try their Sale of Balance Flat, those unsold flats or those back out after successful ballot.  Some are good facing units.

Don't read and response to guests' post

2 minutes ago, LeanMature said:

Try their Sale of Balance Flat, those unsold flats or those back out after successful ballot.  Some are good facing units.

but usu good location or good units are highly in demand, might be tons of pp snatching for a unit

if not members wont be facing such an issue

Guest Gay Hub

Most likely the whole block of 2-room flexi apart will become a gay hub, if all the single gays stayed in the same block.  Every gay pride day, the block can become a gay event point.  

Guest disclosed yourself
32 minutes ago, Guest Gay Hub said:

Most likely the whole block of 2-room flexi apart will become a gay hub, if all the single gays stayed in the same block.  Every gay pride day, the block can become a gay event point.  

and on national day put up the rainbow flag next to the Majulah Singapura?

--------------------------------------------------------

Hohonu kakii, papaku uaua.

6 hours ago, LeanMature said:

the hdb staff never tell me..but show me the website to wait for may intake.

kns...i been to chin swee and sengkang branch, all since to be heck care attitude. Maybe i should go to HQ at toa payoh instead.

those hdb branch sibei useless bochap staff.

14 hours ago, Firday said:

the hdb staff never tell me..but show me the website to wait for may intake.

kns...i been to chin swee and sengkang branch, all since to be heck care attitude. Maybe i should go to HQ at toa payoh instead.

those hdb branch sibei useless bochap staff.

The modus operandi is HDB made announcement in the press for upcoming BTO cum SBF and interested applicants are to find out details on website and apply onlines .  They don't give priority to enquiry over the counter which are usually mean to serve successful applicants who had balloted a flat.

On 3/10/2019 at 12:36 PM, Firday said:

i like your ideas, pm me to share more thought about it

On 3/10/2019 at 1:06 PM, -Ignored- said:

huh?
seemed like Firday would help him do up an interior design proposal for Tomcat & his beloved partner

Haha, just saw this. Sorry, I tend to have a short computer & social media fast every weekend - spend time living IRL. Sometimes, it spills over until midweek, lol.

Hmm what else to share? Apart from maybe cannot keep so many pets/plants anymore if intending to do long travel. Plants are actually harder than pets. As long as petsitter comes every other day, they are ok. But plants require a bit of test and usually only the owners will know when to water and how much. 

We have planned our future (around 70% to 80% ) and left the rest to unforeseen circumstances. The remaining 20% - 30%, we will have to assess and react in-situ. As long as we get to play out the major components of our planning (payouts, Insurance or CPF, passive incomes, housing), we are quite happy already.

Another thing we are exploring is the possibility of vanlife - converting a van for extended roadtrips up Malaysia, Thailand and beyond! 

The bottomline we realised is that no country will treat you as good as your own, so as much as its a love-hate relationship we have with Singapore, we do foresee that SG will still be our homebase, especially for later years healthcare (Medisave, Subsidies etc). 

Learning from the mistakes of others who have uprooted completely, it is hard to receive healthcare in SG if you have already fled the country. In another person's country, even if you are naturalised, you are still a second rate citizen. Not all rights and civilities are extended to you, to your liking. And even if you return for whatever reason, it is not cheap to have temporary housing or accommodation in SG. In fact, I feel bad for tourists coming here, lol. They pay up to SGD200/night for a lousy tiny room. No way. 

So we intend to benefit from having a homebase and travelling around - with homestay programs like AirBNB, it's possible to stay rooted in a foreign country for a few months & live like a local. No need to fuss with overseas mortgage or renting etc. I know a lot of Singaporeans have fled, setting up roots in thailand, malaysia, taiwan, but the property scene is a whole different animal compared to ours, with factors like build quality, infrastructure, maintenance, bill payment, foreigner charges etc.

We feel that keeping a small & fully paid off unit in SG, paired with "AirBNB-style" of travelling offers maximum enjoyment for the least amount of commitment. Just go wherever our hearts desire and stay for a while before moving on somewhere else, or returning home to SG for a while. On a more practical note, it also offers the best exit strategy. No matter what happen in overseas country (political, war, natural disaster etc), we just need to pack up and come home.

I know of friends whose businesses and housing is affected almost every year in Taiwan due to typhoon, and also other friends' businesses affected by tsunamis etc. But all their resources have been placed there, and due to bad luck or just impractical planning, they are trapped to face the consequence. 

As my partner's unit was bought under his name, I intend to reserve my first-time homeowner privilege to buy the elderly studio. I know a lot of people feel it is so sad that my first home bought under my name is my final "death" home, haha, but I have no issues with that.

The liquidated sum takes care of fully paying off the studio, while the first-time homeowner privilege allows some leniency and placement preferences. Whatever leftover amount after liquidation can use to top up CPF to achieve annuity or Invest, see what options are best.

Since Singapore is not legalising gay marriage anytime soon, quit whining and work the loopholes within the system instead. First-time homeowner privilege is something that will continue to be upheld in a country like Singapore, so I will only use it advantageously.

Feel free to ask any other questions, but please be respectful and kind - as someone mentioned, it is all for sharing and learning. 

Edited by tomcat

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Guest disclosed yourself
33 minutes ago, tomcat said:

Haha, just saw this. Sorry, I tend to have a short computer & social media fast every weekend - spend time living IRL. Sometimes, it spills over until midweek, lol.

Hmm what else to share? Apart from maybe cannot keep so many pets/plants anymore if intending to do long travel. Plants are actually harder than pets, cos as long as our pet sitter comes every other day, they are ok. But plants require a bit of touch and feel, and usually only the owners will know when to water and how much.

We have planned our lives/future extensively (around 70% to 80% ) and left the rest to circumstances which cannot be anticipated. The remaining 20% - 30%, we will have to assess and react in-situ, within the resources available to us at the time. As long as we get to play out the major components of our planning, like payouts (Insurance or CPF), passive incomes, and housing, we are quite happy already.

Another thing we are exploring is the possibility of vanlife - converting a van for extended roadtrips up Malaysia, Thailand and beyond! 

Whatever the case, the bottomline is that no country will treat you as good as your own, so as much as its a love-hate relationship we have with Singapore, we do foresee that Singapore will still be our homebase, at least for healthcare purposes especially in later years (Medisave, Subsidies etc).  Learning from the mistakes of others who have uprooted completely, it is hard to receive healthcare in Singapore if you have already fled the country. In another person's country, even if you are naturalised, you are still a second rate citizen, and not all rights and civilities are extended to you, and to your liking. And even if you return for whatever reason, it is not cheap to have temporary housing or accommodation here in Singapore. In fact, I feel bad for tourists coming here, lol. They pay up to SGD200/night for a lousy tiny room. No way. 

So we intend to benefit from having a homebase and travelling around - with homestay programs like AirBNB, it's possible to stay rooted in a foreign country for a few months, and have a local experience. And not be tied down to overseas mortgage or renting etc. I know a lot of Singaporeans have fled, setting up roots in thailand, malaysia, taiwan, but the whole property scene is different compared to ours, with varying factors like build quality, maintenance, payment, foreigner charges etc. It is a headache, and frankly I have no interest to do that much homework. 

We feel that keeping a small unit in SG that is fully paid of and takes up minimal resources, paired with AirBNB style of travelling is the best combination to ensure maximum enjoyment for the least amount of overseas commitment. Just go wherever our hearts desire and stay for a while before moving on somewhere else, or returning home to SG for a while.

Because his unit was bought under his name, I intend to reserve my first time homeowner privilege to buy the elderly studio. I know a lot of people feel it is so sad that my first home bought under my name is my final "death" home, haha, but I have no issues with that. Once we liquidate his house, that amount can use to top up CPF to achieve annuity, most probably. or Invest, see what options are available. 

Since Singapore is not legalising gay marriage anytime soon, quit whining and work the loopholes within the system instead. He has his own house under his name now, and I will use my name to buy our elderly studio aka forever home. First time homeowner privilege is something that will continue to be upheld in a country like Singapore, so I will only use it advantageously.

Feel free to ask any other questions, but please be respectful and kind - as someone mentioned, it is all for sharing and learning. 

Watch out if Airbnb is legal. Many countries start blocking off Airbnb (and the competitors). In Spain they arrested some visitors, who didn't even know it is illegal. I heard that in Malaysia a lot of scams on renting out units which don't exist.

In Thailand mostly some "serviced apartments" are quite cheap compared to normal hotel rates. Just need to check and book in time. I had a really amazing room, 150 sqm with a luxury bath tub... at just 55 SGD per night, 5 mins walk from BTR  at Ploen Chit with daily cleaning and a huge pool, which even had a bar.

You are right to buy your own flat.

In a van for traveling I wouldn't feel safe, even in Malaysia. Probably would not sleep the whole night.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ko taku reo taku ohooho, ko taku reo taku mapihi mauria.

8 minutes ago, Guest disclosed yourself said:

Watch out if Airbnb is legal. Many countries start blocking off Airbnb (and the competitors). In Spain they arrested some visitors, who didn't even know it is illegal. I heard that in Malaysia a lot of scams on renting out units which don't exist.

In Thailand mostly some "serviced apartments" are quite cheap compared to normal hotel rates...

The way to circumvent AirBNB legality is to stay the minimum number of days, usually it is stipulated to be 30 days depending on country. So unless they scrap AirBNB completely, it won't be an issue to stay longer. I think another factor is also the style of travel. We have stayed at some pretty sketch places, that are probably not 100% legal, even though advertised, but we rarely look like tourists ourselves and just try to blend in.

We either travel with one single backpack each or a small rolling case. We are quiet like ninjas, and polite to the neighbours.

Legality is one thing not within your control, but whether you are caught while staying there actually is. Japan was hit pretty bad by AirBNB crackdown and we booked a beautiful apartment that was de-listed 3 weeks after we booked, the owner was upfront but we took the risk. It was obvious that maybe the neighbours also complained, but we were so quiet, we only met 1 neighbour and we introduced ourselves and gifted him Bak-Kwa and other things, which we often buy in case we need to give as gifts. 

Whether or not bbq pork slices saved us from getting reported is not certain but our stay was smooth with no problem. During that time, we also saw live updates of de-listed apartments, and wondered what happened to the people who booked them..

In Malaysia, it is so cheap we will probably skip AirBNB entirely, unless the listing/location cannot be beat. Thailand too. The value for money in this two country cannot be beaten.  As for vanlife, I am so tempted, I think conversion of the van is a challenge I look forward to, and I am not worried about the people honestly. Good vibes only - we take regular roadtrips far far up Malaysia as it is with no issues. 

Just need to practice logic, consideration, safety and humility. The most unsafe place in Malaysia is actually Johor, because they target SG cars. After that, nobody really cares. 

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

16 minutes ago, tomcat said:

The way to circumvent AirBNB legality is to stay the minimum number of days, usually it is stipulated to be 30 days depending on country. So unless they scrap AirBNB completely, it won't be an issue to stay longer. I think another factor is also the style of travel. We have stayed at some pretty sketch places, that are probably not 100% legal, even though advertised, but we rarely look like tourists ourselves and just try to blend in.

We either travel with one single backpack each or a small rolling case. We are quiet like ninjas, and polite to the neighbours.

Legality is one thing not within your control, but whether you are caught while staying there actually is. Japan was hit pretty bad by AirBNB crackdown and we booked a beautiful apartment that was de-listed 3 weeks after we booked, the owner was upfront but we took the risk. It was obvious that maybe the neighbours also complained, but we were so quiet, we only met 1 neighbour and we introduced ourselves and gifted him Bak-Kwa and other things, which we often buy in case we need to give as gifts. 

Whether or not bbq pork slices saved us from getting reported is not certain but our stay was smooth with no problem. During that time, we also saw live updates of de-listed apartments, and wondered what happened to the people who booked them..

In Malaysia, it is so cheap we will probably skip AirBNB entirely, unless the listing/location cannot be beat. Thailand too. The value for money in this two country cannot be beaten.  As for vanlife, I am so tempted, I think conversion of the van is a challenge I look forward to, and I am not worried about the people honestly. Good vibes only - we take regular roadtrips far far up Malaysia as it is with no issues. 

Just need to practice logic, consideration, safety and humility. The most unsafe place in Malaysia is actually Johor, because they target SG cars. After that, nobody really cares. 

Right.  You can negotiate with the hostels for long term stay that can offer you very good rate comparable to ABnB.  Location wise is also better.

On 3/6/2019 at 2:44 PM, Guest Worry said:

How many willing to live in 1 or 2 room Flat after 55, selling your current flat etc ?

I oredi staying in my 2-room resale flat, more than 2 years liao.

Dreamed, dreamed, about selling it from En-Bloc and getting a new flat, but then it'll be a NEW 2-RM flat/condo that I'll be spending the rest of my life.

Barring that, I don't forsee myself moving out/shifting/buying new flat anytime soon.

Some more my location quite good. Central and near MRT.

So, unless my new flat is near/around my current location, I'd probably not be shifting my butt anytime soon.

all of u knew that for renting a HDB flat, it has to be at least a 6mth lease
for a condo/apartment , at least a 3mth

for AirB&B it is grey in sg

for Japan, it is more than grey , by the way and it is advised in many jp grps/thread, though i dont know how AirB&B came into this thread

Tks for sharing 

only a worldwide coverage ensures a policies covers overseas as well

Why is it related to hosiing??!

This is really needless! But since it s shared:

read the deep ans , nt the short one:

only if they return to Singapore for treatment. Moreover, Singaporeans and PRs living overseas could only be going for short-term stints, and when they return to Singapore, they continue to be covered regardless of any health conditions they may have developed.

needless to mention, how would a usa hosp knws how to administr for a sg insurance coverage (even though that insur co. Has foothold worldwide)

Singaporeans who are never going to benefit from MediShield Life, this group of people can apply for a suspension of MediShield Life premium collection. To be granted a suspension of premium collection, Singaporeans and PRs must meet all the following eligibility criteria:

• Singapore Citizen
  • Living outside Singapore permanently with no intention to reside in Singapore

Just rem if your insur/coverage is bought in sg , it is usu nt covered elsewhere(unless a travel insur or one ie expensively bought w worldwide coverage)

On 3/14/2019 at 7:24 PM, Nipoet said:

I oredi staying in my 2-room resale flat, more than 2 years liao.

Dreamed, dreamed, about selling it from En-Bloc and getting a new flat, but then it'll be a NEW 2-RM flat/condo that I'll be spending the rest of my life.

Barring that, I don't forsee myself moving out/shifting/buying new flat anytime soon.

Some more my location quite good. Central and near MRT.

So, unless my new flat is near/around my current location, I'd probably not be shifting my butt anytime soon.

If you are eligible to buy 2-room BTO, why settle for a 2-room resale ?  Unless it is going enbloc, almost no chance to shake it off, even you have found a good location new flat.

Bto in non mature est, is nt avail for singles! By the way, i will knock my head onto the wall of a flat if one force me to reside in a non-city location
and not all r willing to wait for a 3year BTO

Any area beyond bugis, orch, redhill is comsidered highly far to me,

nt just far

many comfort themselves by thinkg that living at woodlands is cheap cos near to

jb for groceries and cheap stuff- this is self-consoling

we dont live in a world on our own, even if u  have alrdy cut off relationship w families/relatives and do not have friends

One also has to thk where is the nearest affordable hospital too? Dont narrowly plan thkg about living comfortably for urself 

Only recently prev5yrs:

Singles can only buy 2-room BTO flats in non mature estates from HDB if they apply under the SSC or the JSS. Applicants looking to buy flats with their parents under the Public Scheme can purchase any flat type.

https://www.gov.sg/factually/content/can-singles-only-buy-hdb-flats-from-the-resale-market

w parents, then the abv doesnt apply

Edited by lovehandle

Guest Complicated
2 hours ago, LeanMature said:

If you are eligible to buy 2-room BTO, why settle for a 2-room resale ?  Unless it is going enbloc, almost no chance to shake it off, even you have found a good location new flat.

Is enbloc really generous?  I heard you still need to service the loan of your new flat allocated to you and they pay you some  cash to do renovations on your own right?  I wonder what is the whole procedure like for enblocking - from selection, to shifting, to receiving cash to new location, renovations, loan servicing, CPF grant...etc 

3 hours ago, LeanMature said:

I wanted to move out of my parents' house ASAP, didn't want to wait 3 years for the BTO.

My 2nd brother did tho, but he also just moved out this year.

No intention of shaking off this one lah, just day-dreaming that it may one day be en-bloc only. I know the chances of that not high also.

I am contented with spending the next 60+ yrs in AMK tho. :D

46 minutes ago, Guest Complicated said:

Is enbloc really generous?  I heard you still need to service the loan of your new flat allocated to you and they pay you some  cash to do renovations on your own right?  I wonder what is the whole procedure like for enblocking - from selection, to shifting, to receiving cash to new location, renovations, loan servicing, CPF grant...etc 

For my case, HDB offered a choice location, in addition to a special grant.  There is also a renovation grant of $30k. You will also get to stay around with familiar neighbours in the same enbloc exercise. 

14 minutes ago, Nipoet said:

I wanted to move out of my parents' house ASAP, didn't want to wait 3 years for the BTO.

My 2nd brother did tho, but he also just moved out this year.

No intention of shaking off this one lah, just day-dreaming that it may one day be en-bloc only. I know the chances of that not high also.

I am contented with spending the next 60+ yrs in AMK tho. :D

Right, AMK has a huge 24/7 NTUC Fairprice. Lol

Guest Nostalgia
1 hour ago, LeanMature said:

For my case, HDB offered a choice location, in addition to a special grant.  There is also a renovation grant of $30k. You will also get to stay around with familiar neighbours in the same enbloc exercise. 

Right, AMK has a huge 24/7 NTUC Fairprice. Lol

Stay with familiar neighbour NEAR the SAME location (within proximity of similar neighbour) or far far away? If far far away, same neighbour also no use.   I prefer same neighbourbood area because familiar with route, eatery, childhood memories..etc.  Did you really "earned" from the enbloc or was it a hype just to ensure you get a new flat without much monetary profit unless you decided to sell the new flat eventually?

enbloc is extremely impt especially for single as this is the only chance that we can get a new 3 room flat in a matured estate...

sometime just wonder how big is spore? Or are we really a bunch of spoilt kids that cannot walk more than 10 mins from mrt station?

Perhaps is time for govt to consider how to land each mrt directly into the hdb block.

5 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

enbloc is extremely impt especially for single as this is the only chance that we can get a new 3 room flat in a matured estate...

sometime just wonder how big is spore? Or are we really a bunch of spoilt kids that cannot walk more than 10 mins from mrt station?

Perhaps is time for govt to consider how to land each mrt directly into the hdb block.

LTA claimed that by 2030, every housing estate will be within 10 mins walk to the MRT station.  They are planning the blueprint after the completion of the Thomson LINE and Cross country LINE. There will be linkage between Punggol and Woodland.

2 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

10 mins walk is too far by sg standard...got to be like this...

downloadfile.thumb.jpeg.dcd5bbf675ed17c1e06faa6d3143b258.jpeg

Lol.

I had this image in mind when I read your post without the image at the new unread page.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

On 3/20/2019 at 3:14 PM, lonelyglobe said:

10 mins walk is too far by sg standard...got to be like this...

downloadfile.thumb.jpeg.dcd5bbf675ed17c1e06faa6d3143b258.jpeg

wow! which ctry is this ?China?

yes, i agree w u that sg is small, hence 10mins is horrendous

many been self-praising that punngol is a water way or water park but it is  far from the nearest MRT station, by the time one cross over to use the LRT is another round of wastages
it is rather far to walk to those chunks of flats at punggol (not those right beside)
and we count using an average speed of a senior citizen walking speed (as sg is facing an ageing population)

Guest I Don't Want!!!

My humble small HDB house is surrounded by trees.  Don't want to go anywhere new and than surrounded by many concrete walls whether the flat is new or enbloc.

Guest disclosed yourself
3 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

wow! which ctry is this ?China?

yes, i agree w u that sg is small, hence 10mins is horrendous

many been self-praising that punngol is a water way or water park but it is  far from the nearest MRT station, by the time one cross over to use the LRT is another round of wastages
it is rather far to walk to those chunks of flats at punggol (not those right beside)
and we count using an average speed of a senior citizen walking speed (as sg is facing an ageing population)

First a tip:

Hey guys, you can delete out the photo, when you quote an earlier post. No need for everyone to post the photo 50 times....

Just some tip!

-----------------

Are you ironic?

It would be more important to get rid of all those overpasses. That is killing the old people in Singapore. I always feel pity for those old seniors to walk up the stairs on those overpasses.

Should start to make more traffic lights.

On the MRT. if underground it is ok. but the mrt can be quite noisy if it runs outside.

On one side you all run to the gyms and then you write here that walking 10 mins is too far. Hm Hm.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He maroro kokati ihu waka.

17 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

It's the trade off for preserving a lot of the nature elements as well as the built park connector structures.

im not sure if it could be better integrated, probably, but at least there is the LRT. can you imagine if it was just the bus feeding to the mrt station like in the 90s? the first LRT in Bukit Panjang was the perfect size and coverage, i do find the Punggol / Seng Kang LRT is too extensive, like twin networks that are close but not connected. it's a bit WTF if one is not familiar, can go around around he whole thing like a very very slow amusement park ride, hahaha. i know some china and indian people in the neighbourhood do this, because they are so amazed, lol.

Luckily, I live just 5 mins walk away from the MRT Station - the benefits of being early adopter, I remember when the punggol and sengkang area had NOTHING. not an understatement but there has been a 180 degree change, some are good, some not so good.

But for the proximity to these network and structures, Punggol and Sengkang still manages to retain its spaciousness and calm. Tampines is the worst of the lot, that one even got more self-praise as like a satellite city or business district (huh?). Having to go there and navigate the mess makes me want to kill myself. I have a friend who purposefully rents a place in Sengkang, because her family home in Tampines/Simei is just too congested and too much activity all the time.

First time, she visited our home and neighbourhood, she was just gobsmacked how quiet and tranquil it was. Even those flats on the outskirts, next to TPE and expressways are placed far enough with many trees to act as sound barriers and visual partitioning. They also used space much differently, to allow the traffic noise to be diffused above and through the nearby park connectors, instead of echoing and bouncing around the nearby flats.

All ithings considered, Punggol and Sengkang has been well designed, the past mistakes suffered by other towns have been addressed and rectified.  I have lived in CCK, Bt Panjang, Redhill, Woodlands, Sengkang. And Sengkang is in my top 3. 

Edited by tomcat

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Got ur point

yes sg has alot of things that doesnt connect! Eg the circle line

from hfront mrt to dhoby ghaut, they r not connected and in fact they r not far from one another line - yes i knw they will only connect them after many yrs later from now

and it is then called truly a  circle line

wow!!! Tc, U live very far!!!!!

we ordered food in a friend’s house after a long discussion, we were famished but the mcdonald delivery took so long to arrive!!! He must have found the punngol flat a real challenge to reach!!!!!

tampines is out! of course, the only consolation now is towns like what jurong/boonlay has malls that replicates a mini orch road.......

else, there is no magic in such area

for those getting/changg/dwngrading a smaller flat , pls make a right decision

btw, i dont gym, i dont even jog or ex./swim in my neighbourhood

i m quite surprise w some comments abv using me as his reply

2 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

wow!!! Tc, U live very far!!!!!

we ordered food in a friend’s house after a long discussion, we were famished but the mcdonald delivery took so long to arrive!!! He must have found the punngol flat a real challenge to reach!!!!!

I think Redhill is a good place due to its central location, but over the years, I've also avoided going to town. I think the last time I properly walked down Orchard was probably 5 or 6 years ago. So while I enjoyed the area in my younger days, (mmm delta pool), now there is not much attraction for me. Plus too close to town also got spillover of weird weird characters, local and foreign.

Sengkang, Punggol, Hougang are now all interconnected. I see a lot of youngsters and those on e-scooters zipping around, no longer taking buses between these three towns. Even for my partner and I, with our bicycles we can go along the connectors, go for late movie at Seletar Mall or Waterway Point and cycle back, or go to Coney Island or further down the marina or beachside to picnic. Jalan Kayu and The Punggol Settlement are forever popular with the makan crowd, that they come from other parts of Singapore. 

For longer cycles, we even use Coney Island as a bridge and connect to Pasir Ris, which allows us to access Downtown East area - waterpark, cinema and just generally a place that feels more recreational. The overall vibe is already nice, sometimes we leave work early during midweek, come here and have an evening near the coastline. It does wonders to overall stress, a s mini de-stress. Further down, is Changi Village, also a popular makan area. 

So these are the pros of life in the ulu-ulu North East, haha. 

There is definitely a bit more "living space" that is close to real nature, not just small man made parks. So for those who like this functional duality, these 3 towns are good for that. For elderly, it's also good as they just opened Sengkang General Hospital, it's just 5 mins walk also. I have two aunts who have gotten their studios, one in sengkang and another in buangkok. These would be their retirement homes.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Guest Guest
16 hours ago, Guest disclosed yourself said:

First a tip:

Hey guys, you can delete out the photo, when you quote an earlier post. No need for everyone to post the photo 50 times....

Just some tip!

-----------------

Are you ironic?

It would be more important to get rid of all those overpasses. That is killing the old people in Singapore. I always feel pity for those old seniors to walk up the stairs on those overpasses.

Should start to make more traffic lights.

On the MRT. if underground it is ok. but the mrt can be quite noisy if it runs outside.

On one side you all run to the gyms and then you write here that walking 10 mins is too far. Hm Hm.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He maroro kokati ihu waka.

Who cares for your tip? Nobody posted the photo 50 times. And even if it is a few times of reposting the photo, it still serves as a quick reference for the readers. If there's anyting wasting bandwidth and space here, it is your post. 

On your note of the "stairs of the overpasses", are you even local here? This really shows that you are a foreigner in this land. We call them BRIDGES here! And there are more and more bridges that comes with lifts attached nowadays. 

8 minutes ago, tomcat said:

I think Redhill is a good place due to its central location, but over the years, I've also avoided going to town. I think the last time I properly walked down Orchard was probably 5 or 6 years ago. So while I enjoyed the area in my younger days, (mmm delta pool), now there is not much attraction for me. Plus too close to town also got spillover of weird weird characters, local and foreign.

Sengkang, Punggol, Hougang are now all interconnected. I see a lot of youngsters and those on e-scooters zipping around, no longer taking buses between these three towns. Even for my partner and I, with our bicycles we can go along the connectors, go for late movie at Seletar Mall or Waterway Point and cycle back, or go to Coney Island or further down the marina or beachside to picnic. Jalan Kayu and The Punggol Settlement are forever popular with the makan crowd, that they come from other parts of Singapore. 

For longer cycles, we even use Coney Island as a bridge and connect to Pasir Ris, which allows us to access Downtown East area - waterpark, cinema and just generally a place that feels more recreational. The overall vibe is already nice, sometimes we leave work early during midweek, come here and have an evening near the coastline. It does wonders to overall stress, a s mini de-stress. Further down, is Changi Village, also a popular makan area. 

So these are the pros of life in the ulu-ulu North East, haha. 

There is definitely a bit more "living space" that is close to real nature, not just small man made parks. So for those who like this functional duality, these 3 towns are good for that. For elderly, it's also good as they just opened Sengkang General Hospital, it's just 5 mins walk also. I have two aunts who have gotten their studios, one in sengkang and another in buangkok. These would be their retirement homes.

Redhill still is.  It is far less crowded than the satellite towns.  I never have problem finding a table at the food centre at dinner time.

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Latte said:

Punggol and Sengkang are badly affected by the air pollution from Pasir Gudang, Johor. I can't wait to get out of there on MOP :(

What HDB didn’t tell you about Punggol (and Pasir Gudang): 

https://www.99.co/blog/singapore/hdb-punggol-pasir-gudang/

There are more threads on this in hardwarezone edmw.

A true gay fashionista will never be caught in punggol or sengkang baby. Everyone knows the real fashionista stay in holland road, tanglin or clementi.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.