Male HQ

Starting Gym to Gain Muscle at 50yo

Guest SlimGuy

Guest SlimGuy

Hi guys... I am 50yo slim guy seldom exercise and wish to gain weight and muscle through weight training, does anyone have any ideas where and how to start (not expensive fitness center and trainer). All advice and recommendation is appreciated. Thank you.

Guest Guest

You can start of with active sg gym aka ssc  gyms.. Cheaper too, first... There are lots of starters beginners there. 

Watch YouTube channels for proper forms and execution techniques  for beginners etc.  

On 3/8/2019 at 8:42 AM, Guest SlimGuy said:

Hi guys... I am 50yo slim guy seldom exercise and wish to gain weight and muscle through weight training, does anyone have any ideas where and how to start (not expensive fitness center and trainer). All advice and recommendation is appreciated. Thank you.

At 50, slim and with little prior exercise,  you have an ideal situation to start now and progress consistently  ( I was going to write "fast",  but it is better to not expect fast results). At 50 it is too early to worry about diminished capacity, lack of testosterone which will increase with the exercise.  You don't need special equipment except perhaps some sets of dumbbells.  If you are in good health, you don't need medical consultation, personal trainer.  Exercise slowly with increasing weight and use common sense to not overdo it.

One of the biggest muscles to exercise are the quadriceps. Without any special equipment, you can start doing stationary lunges ( look this up on the internet). Ten of these with each foot forwards, wide spaced (to minimize effort on knees) and with just the body weight.  With time, start increasing the load by holding weight in your hands.  These can be dumbbells, or simply buckets filled with water.  Standing on a piece of wood and holding onto a door frame, start doing calf presses with increasing weight (in hand) and repetitions.  And to complete the leg and butt exercises, do stiff-legged deadlifts for your lower back and butt  WITH GOOD FORM.   You will find plenty of videos about these exercises on the internet.

The lower body is the most important to exercise (we don't walk with our hands).   Upper body exercises can be introduced with time,  some to do with just the body weight, others helped by useful rubber bands.  Maybe by the time you start with these you may be already motivated to find and use a gym that is neither fancy nor too expensive.

Edited by Steve5380

• 2 weeks later...

my gym has a hot daddy aged 63, but he's gymming his whole life.

i think u know your body best, just start light though and then push it a little each time till ur body says gimme a break.

at 50, i guess u may be more prone to joint injuries, so may be good to get someone at your gym to spot for you.

:thumb:

YES. And this guy is one of the leading goldies in this arena. His videos are mostly talking but there is a lot of info and knowledge there. He covers all the queries and concerns highlighted in this thread, from diet, to frequency of workout, to recovery and preventive/additive supplementation.

he gives me hope that when i am 50, i am able to maintain and improve my body.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 12:26 PM, auri said:

Ha ha... For a slim guy, a 6 pack is no big deal (no market value).... I am sure I read it somewhere :D

Thats not true, there are many people like me love to touch those slim/lean guys with 6 packs. I love to move my fingers through their ab lining but sadly gay population is already low and to have the chance to be able to play with such hunks is lesser chance. So i constantly try to maintain my fitness try to be like them and join their bandwagon lol

diet is 80% while gym is 20%.

Gene is 80% while effort is 20%.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

On 3/28/2019 at 3:38 PM, Sharon said:

Age does NOT matter. The Spirit does. You need to a companion to constant cheer and support your mission impossible goal. Besides that you have to control your diet like no beer, no fatty meat and etc... Kall me.

ed7gb1svayiarmipwq9mbfnbchewmi4dbexr72yj1ujb3ni31c8swdqvv95kjvj4-.jpg

Yes, age does not matter and its the spirit that is important. Add some hyperactive to the personality if needed. Most important is enjoy the process. I believe exercise with a group of friends and have some different exercise events is the best way to go forward.

On 4/4/2019 at 5:24 PM, tomcat said:

YES. And this guy is one of the leading goldies in this arena. His videos are mostly talking but there is a lot of info and knowledge there. He covers all the queries and concerns highlighted in this thread, from diet, to frequency of workout, to recovery and preventive/additive supplementation.

he gives me hope that when i am 50, i am able to maintain and improve my body.

Our local celebrity Zheng Geping and the Hong Kong celebrity Donnie Yen also pass the age of 50 and both also can be lean fit with 6 packs. I am nearing mid 40s and i still can maintain some fitness so i guess a few years down the road wont make any difference lol

19 hours ago, yoyo74 said:

Thats not true, there are many people like me love to touch those slim/lean guys with 6 packs. I love to move my fingers through their ab lining but sadly gay population is already low and to have the chance to be able to play with such hunks is lesser chance. So i constantly try to maintain my fitness try to be like them and join their bandwagon lol

Maybe your definition of lean/slim is different to mine, ha ha ha...

Skinny to me definitely cannot be considered hunky, ha ha

On 4/14/2019 at 2:51 PM, auri said:

Maybe your definition of lean/slim is different to mine, ha ha ha...

Well hunky need to have some muscle defination indeed. I know there are some skinny guys when u touch their abdominal area u dont even feel any meat and totally soft. Those are the type that dont like to exercise and are not hunky ones.

On 4/13/2019 at 7:06 PM, yoyo74 said:

Zheng Geping and the Hong Kong celebrity Donnie Yen

I think they are lean fit with definition at best, not really muscular.
Seen ZGP a few times in my gym also, he looks very dry/lean. and recently, never even see him work out at all.

Notice the thread title is about gaining muscle, for an overall hunky aesthetic.

On 4/14/2019 at 2:51 PM, auri said:

Yes, same here. Lean fit is not really the definition of hunky. 
The root word of "hunk" means a big piece, alluding to big thick muscle type.

So skinny with some definition here and there, I don't think this is what we are talking about here.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

12 hours ago, tomcat said:

I think they are lean fit with definition at best, not really muscular.
Seen ZGP a few times in my gym also, he looks very dry/lean. and recently, never even see him work out at all.

Notice the thread title is about gaining muscle, for an overall hunky aesthetic.

Yes, same here. Lean fit is not really the definition of hunky. 
The root word of "hunk" means a big piece, alluding to big thick muscle type.

So skinny with some definition here and there, I don't think this is what we are talking about here.

I just did a google for the word hunky and it means large, strong, and sexually attractive. As for sexually attractive to me needed to be lean fit and some muscle defination. For those thick muscle body builders i wont think they are sexually attractive at all. Bloating muscle looks horrible to me lol. So i guess different people will have their own set of hunky or hot body in mind.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.