Male HQ

What is a massive red flag about a new workplace?

Guest Carrot

I think when a company has a high turnover rate, it is a massive red flag that something is wrong. The fallacy with companies who think that there is nothing wrong with high turnover is making a big mistake. They waste time and resources training  new hires, and there is a lack of loyalty or pride in the work, resulting in lower productivity. 

When employees spend more time bitching than working, it is another red flag. Companies like this need to reevaluate what the problems are, and fix it. 

Love. 

Guest mouse
On 3/13/2019 at 9:45 PM, doncoin said:

I think when a company has a high turnover rate, it is a massive red flag that something is wrong. The fallacy with companies who think that there is nothing wrong with high turnover is making a big mistake. They waste time and resources training  new hires, and there is a lack of loyalty or pride in the work, resulting in lower productivity. 

When employees spend more time bitching than working, it is another red flag. Companies like this need to reevaluate what the problems are, and fix it. 

So true. 

There’s a version of this situation that I’ve observed before. When you join a company and soon discover there’s a group of dinosaurs who’ve remained at the company since the jurassic era, but new employees rarely stay on and flee as soon as they realise what’s going on. Basically the dinosaurs view any new coworker as a potential threat, so from day one they start playing their petty mind games and politics. They’re more interested in playing the new ‘competition’ than in collaborating on the actual work at hand. If someone is deemed a real threat, they try to needle that person until he or she can’t stand it anymore and leave. If the person isn’t considered a real threat, they still play their games just to feel some pitiable scraps of superiority. The worst is when the dinosaurs are genuinely incompetent in some way regarding the real work and they know it deep down, then they’re particularly vicious because they feel defensive and entitled to protect the precious turf they’ve staked out for themselves at a company where they can thrive (whereas at other less dysfunctional workplaces they wouldn’t be able to cut it).

A sympathetic coworker at one of these places once described it to me as a bad apple poisoning the whole barrel – once there are enough poisoned apples in the barrel, no good ones will stick around. 

The sad thing is you won’t be able to know this about the company unless you have inside information from someone who already works there. HR will never let on that there’s anything wrong with their company. Instead, the ‘good apples’ who leave will vindictively be branded as ‘job hoppers’. As though anyone would choose to quit a good job or company!

Guest mouse
On 3/10/2019 at 12:24 PM, Guest Carrot said:

I don't think there are offices without politics? As long as there is more than 1 person in the office, there will always be politics.

As long as there are differences of values and opinions among coworkers, there will be the potential for ‘politics’. But in well-functioning workplaces, coworkers possess enough professionalism and pride in their work to rise above it rather than to go low, people who are more motivated to do their work than to jockey for position/snipe personal attacks/form Survivor-style tribes and indulge in other petty behaviour. Office politics is worst when people see their real job as ‘managing’/manipulating the people around them.

• 2 weeks later...

My man can't clear his annual leave....yet his company won't allow encashing of leave...it is expected to forfeit the leave because they r so short staff ..but his department always get praised for productivity. But everyone work like mad....any advice about rights n law

Guest mirror
On 3/15/2019 at 8:00 PM, Guest mouse said:

As long as there are differences of values and opinions among coworkers, there will be the potential for ‘politics’. But in well-functioning workplaces, coworkers possess enough professionalism and pride in their work to rise above it rather than to go low, people who are more motivated to do their work than to jockey for position/snipe personal attacks/form Survivor-style tribes and indulge in other petty behaviour. Office politics is worst when people see their real job as ‘managing’/manipulating the people around them.

there are bitches who like to manipulate people to do their job. this cant do, that dont want to do, those guys job, these very tired to do cause she's a lady.  in the end what are they really doing? but still they see nothing wrong with it and blame people for playing politic. I really dont understand. like my senior said, then retain them in the company for what?

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Delay salary for 2 months now.

Breach of employment contract already. Supposed to be able to call MOM for help. But you know la... MOM will side with companies instead. 

Guest Adele Fat Ass
On 3/26/2019 at 6:41 PM, Guest mirror said:

there are bitches who like to manipulate people to do their job. this cant do, that dont want to do, those guys job, these very tired to do cause she's a lady.  in the end what are they really doing? but still they see nothing wrong with it and blame people for playing politic. I really dont understand. like my senior said, then retain them in the company for what?

Lazy cows who expect to get paid sitting on their bums.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.