Male HQ

Malaysian = Lousy English ?!

Guest disclosed yourself
26 minutes ago, Guest bottom said:

again assuming that only immigrants in UK doesnt speak english well and that the supposedly native speakers can speak good english. 

Did you see the word "mostly" in my paragraph? I never said "only immigrants".

Prior to start word twisting read things appropriately.

I said that in nowadays Britain there are immigrants who have no intention to integrate, learn English but live in their own "societies" speaking their mother tongues.

Sure there will English people who dropped out of schools or might due to other reasons never learnt any proper English.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ka kai kopu, ka iri whata, kei te uaua te kore.

Guest 莲帮轮

Malaysian english of the chinois sexducated is like Frankenstein -  roughly sawed up and stitched together in a hurry and GREEN with fermentation - 萌萌哒 to those with acquired taste and Jiu Hu kia fetish!

Instead of discussing Malaysians level of English as intended by TS, this thread has evolved into bashing Singaporeans by apparently a few foreigners.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest laughing
1 hour ago, Guest 莲帮沦 said:

Malaysia is one of the nations that has most successfully BUTCHERED the english language, right before China!

Why? got halal version?

Guest Guest
17 hours ago, Guest disclosed yourself said:

I shifted the culture to inform my inferior staff:

In this very topic talking about lousy English, I really don't know if the above quoted phrase is LOUSY ENGLISH, or just plain ARROGANCE. And this came from the same person who can claim that he prefers to motivate "UP" people to take some effort (and learn proper English) ... Are the staff really "inferior"? Or is this Guest disclosed himself the very one who is in need to get motivated "UP" to learn proper English? 

18 hours ago, Guest disclosed yourself said:

I prefer to motivate up people to take some effort (and learn proper English)

facepalm with a facepalm i made a reaction gif

Guest good English
inferior
/ɪnˈfɪərɪə/
adjective
adjective: inferior
  1. 1.
    lower in rank, status, or quality.
    "schooling in inner-city areas was inferior to that in the rest of the country"
    synonyms: lower in status, lesser, second-class, second-fiddle, minor, subservient, lowly, humble, menial, not very important, not so important, below someone, beneath someone, under someone's heel; More
    lower-ranking, lower in rank, subordinate, junior, secondary, subsidiary, ancillary
    "they are regarded as inferior by other staff"
    antonyms: superior, senior
    • of low standard or quality.
      "inferior goods"
      synonyms: second-rate, substandard, low-quality, low-grade, downmarket, indifferent, mediocre, unsatisfactory, shoddy, shabby, deficient, flawed, imperfect, unsound; More
      poor, bad, awful, dreadful, disagreeable, deplorable, wretched, leaving much to be desired;
      informalgrotty, crummy, dire, rotten, lousy, poxy, third-rate, godawful, not up to much, not up to snuff, the pits;
      informalduff, rubbish, ropy, pants, a load of pants
      "I had to put up with inferior accommodation"
      antonyms: first-rate, high quality
    • Law
      (of a court or tribunal) susceptible to having its decisions overturned by a higher court.
    • Economics
      denoting goods or services which are in greater demand during a recession than in a boom, for example second-hand clothes.
  2. 2.
    Anatomy
    low or lower in position.
    "ulcers located in the inferior and posterior wall of the duodenum"
    • Botany
      (of the ovary of a flower) situated below the sepals and enclosed in the receptacle.
  3. 3.
    Printing
    (of a letter, figure, or symbol) written or printed below the line.
noun
noun: inferior; plural noun: inferiors
  1. 1.
    a person lower than another in rank, status, or ability.
    "her social and intellectual inferiors"
    synonyms: subordinate, junior, underling, minion, menial;
    informalbitch
    "how dare she treat him as an inferior?"

Guest Ploppel English
1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

In this very topic talking about lousy English, I really don't know if the above quoted phrase is LOUSY ENGLISH, or just plain ARROGANCE. And this came from the same person who can claim that he prefers to motivate "UP" people to take some effort (and learn proper English) ... Are the staff really "inferior"? Or is this Guest disclosed himself the very one who is in need to get motivated "UP" to learn proper English? 

Are Is the staff really "inferior"?

Singaporeans looking down on other countries' level of English .... lol the irony!

"I off the light"

"I shifted house"

"I make a move first"

"I go JB"

"I stay in Bishan"

"How you know?"

etc etc the list goes on

Guest Guest
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:05 AM, Guest Ploppel English said:

Yes Daddy!

To the Threadstarter: correction was well meant. never learn never improve. We all start in small steps...

To the Threadstarter: , the corrections was  were well-meant. One who never learns will never improve. We all start in with small steps.

• 3 years later...
Guest Crevice
On 3/18/2019 at 8:12 PM, auscent said:

I once worked in a project in Australia. A Spore girl shouted out "how long more". The whites giggled. They told me it should have been "how much longer".

Dont overestimate our ability.

LOL. Singlish is a funny version of english

On 4/10/2022 at 10:38 PM, Guest Crevice said:

In my experience most of Singlish is a direct transfer of Chinese into English. 

Take:

Can can 可以可以

or 

Can not. 不 可以

Or: 

Do you have Kaya spread?

Answer from shopowner at Mamak shop:

"Not have!" 没有

Or

How is the food at this stall?

Patron: 

No good , 不好

It is using Chinese "grammar" or sentence structure but with the English words. 

Sure, there are Malay or Hokkien flavours. 

Ex 1.: You makan or cannot tahan ?

Ex 2:

"This neighbour so kay poh, always ask question bout my wife"

Guest Guest

its true, there's one particular local bank who likes to hire msians for their retail bank segment,

i recently applied for a credit card and received a few auto reply emails.

the emails contain grammatical errors and weird sentence structure typical of many msians.

e.g. "we are look forward" instead of 'we are looking forward' or just 'we look forward'.

this is just one example.

i know the auto reply emails are written by msians cos i have come across similar errors many times.

when you correct them nicely, some of them will be unhappy and don't bother to learn. so the mistake continues.

My msian friend said his msian Chinese educated friend with only sec 2 highest qualification says, do you want going? 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest 章 绘 妹
On 3/19/2019 at 1:35 PM, Guest jay said:

Singaporeans looking down on other countries' level of English .... lol the irony!

"I off the light"

"I shifted house"

"I make a move first"

"I go JB"

"I stay in Bishan"

"How you know?"

etc etc the list goes on

On 4/10/2022 at 10:38 PM, Guest Crevice said:

On 4/11/2022 at 8:38 AM, singalion said:

In my experience most of Singlish is a direct transfer of Chinese into English. 

Take:

Can can 可以可以

or 

Can not. 不 可以

Or: 

Do you have Kaya spread?

Answer from shopowner at Mamak shop:

"Not have!" 没有

Or

How is the food at this stall?

Patron: 

No good , 不好

It is using Chinese "grammar" or sentence structure but with the English words. 

Sure, there are Malay or Hokkien flavours. 

Ex 1.: You makan or cannot tahan ?

Ex 2:

"This neighbour so kay poh, always ask question bout my wife"

新加坡的部分 人口 , 仗势欺人 , 说了满口 新加坡式英文会话,  还不知 行 情, 对周边 邻国 的 人口 ,  来个  五十步笑百步。

不知天高地厚 , 

连老李

在黄泉 , 也 摇头 , 叹气, 皮酸

On 4/11/2022 at 5:19 PM, fab said:

My msian friend said his msian Chinese educated friend with only sec 2 highest qualification says, do you want going? 

I don't think it is appropriate to mock Malaysians for their lack in command of English:

a) Standard English is not much better in Singapore at levels with lower education, also up to middle management. 

b) Malaysian Chinese are mostly trained in Chinese schools or in Bahasa Malaysia at school. Their chances to pick up good English are more limited than for Singaporeans. 

c) Only in presence of an English speaker Malaysian need to talk in English, in the daily routine they just converse in Chinese at home or with friends and in Bahasa Malaysia for daily life outside those family/friends circles. 

d) Singapore still has even people at Minister or CEO level who's English is not in top form. 

In fact, after English is taught in Singapore at such an early stage, I m often surprised command of acceptable English remains at such low level here. 

Let's face the situation here first before mocking the low standards of English in Malaysia. 

Edited by singalion

Guest Kimchi

If you go YouTube and see. You'll see Hong Kong and China English is much better than Singapore. 

Their students learning from native ang moh teacher. They also sound like ang moh. 

Singapore one abit cmi. 

Guest Guest

Asked a malaysian colleague to do up a report and almost vomit blood. Its so bad I had to redo everything. Never again. They are good in taking orders for bubble tea though and taking extended breaks.

At my office I felt Malaysian Chinese quite hardworking and willing to go an extra mile. 

Also most of our Malaysian Chinese colleagues invited me to their places for dinner and they offered to visit their home towns. 

Due to above had the chance to stay at a nice country house at an palm  oil farm in Negeri Sembilan. Driving with a jeep through the wilderness was a one time experience. 

My request climbing a famous mountain which I did while need to admit, I climbed the last part alone as the family preferred to rest half way. 

Walking this forrest trail was amazing, the jungle noises, birds etc and the fantastic view from top of the mountain! 

The home cooking from the wife of the house was also fantastic. 

I visited them regularly since then. Once even carrying a big mandarin tree as a gift from Singapore. 

I can't complain much about Malaysian Chinese. 

I had wished being once invited to a Singaporean Chinese home, but...

Edited by singalion

I read a few posts and noticed the comments on malaysian pronunciation but hey, the french do not pronounce English the way brits or americans do, they don't get penalised. I find Malaysian pronunciation endearing, and has a lot of kairacter! 😙

On 4/12/2022 at 7:47 PM, singalion said:

At my office I felt Malaysian Chinese quite hardworking and willing to go an extra mile. 

Also most of our Malaysian Chinese colleagues invited me to their places for dinner and they offered to visit their home towns. 

Due to above had the chance to stay at a nice country house at an palm  oil farm in Negeri Sembilan. Driving with a jeep through the wilderness was a one time experience. 

My request climbing a famous mountain which I did while need to admit, I climbed the last part alone as the family preferred to rest half way. 

Walking this forrest trail was amazing, the jungle noises, birds etc and the fantastic view from top of the mountain! 

The home cooking from the wife of the house was also fantastic. 

I visited them regularly since then. Once even carrying a big mandarin tree as a gift from Singapore. 

I can't complain much about Malaysian Chinese. 

I had wished being once invited to a Singaporean Chinese home, but...

why are you not staying in Malaysia then?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.