Male HQ

Recommendations for Home Appliances for New Home (compiled)

Guest electrolux

Guest electrolux

I noticed now there are condo without an outdoor place to hang your clothes to dry. They are equipped with clothes dryer. Does clothes dryer consume a lot of electricity? I used the dryer before. It is quite convenience actually when you want a quick dry or when you are washing your bedsheet or blanket. But I noticed that my underwear torn apart quite fast especially around the waistband area.

of course, for good quality undies, we will handwash and dpending on its fabric

As for dryer, it is not just damage on bedsheet
How long have u been using that bedsheet  (let's say u have two sheets to rotate only)?

many live in a condo here

i used the dryers at a 24hrs laundromat at the foot of the block where i am renting a room.. i used the dryers every once a week.

come on.. bedsheets cost u only S$10.00.. and a box of male underwear cost u what S$14.00 for 5-6 pieces in a set..so what's the issue.. it is how u control the usage of the dryer only.

Guest electrolux
3 minutes ago, Zackling said:

i used the dryers at a 24hrs laundromat at the foot of the block where i am renting a room.. i used the dryers every once a week.

come on.. bedsheets cost u only S$10.00.. and a box of male underwear cost u what S$14.00 for 5-6 pieces in a set..so what's the issue.. it is how u control the usage of the dryer only.

I found that using dryer when we have ample of sunlight is abit wasting the energy with some exception. 

If you absolutely do not have the option to hang it, I would suggest a giant portable and foldable clothes rack as dryers actually consume a crap ton of energy, generally speaking. 

Clothes rack is everywhere; they're cheap. But you should definitely research what kind do you need to best suit your clothes. 

Also, every underwear may be made of different materials. This is also the same for any piece of clothing you wear, whether it's pants or shirts or berms or tee shirt. Check the laundry label before chucking it into the dryer; not all underwear can withstand high heat due to the mixture of material. 

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

I swear by the dryer; everything goes in except my clothes for work, jeans, and polo tees. It cut down my laundry time by A LOT (I admit I don't have the patience to hang the clothes up one-by-one in my stuffy yard). Condo dweller here so I don't have the luxury of hanging clothes out in the sun because my yard doesn't have sunlight streaming in.

As for the energy usage, just have to get used to it, lor. According to SP, my electricity bill is higher than the average of my household size but I guess I'm more or less used to it. Time is money so I'm quite happy to pay for it.

Guest guest
2 minutes ago, BriefsGuy said:

is gas dryer more dangerous due to possible gas leak and should the burner spoil but gas turned on?

dont worry , got buy house fire insurance, will cover for 80% of fire damage,

gas dryer faulty is the responsibility of city gas company that sold you that appliance,

any little fault , quickly call and inform them to repair,

if they dont come and repair and house catch fire, you can sue them for neglect and derrliction of duties and responsibilties,and damages.

but the best is to air dry using fan if stay in apt or falt that cannot sun dry, best even if wash everyday and fan dry and sun dry then no use gas dryer.

Driers are a huge consumer of electrical and gas energy and contributes to global warming, you are actually making the earth hotter with excess heat release just to  dry your clothes .

Use sun and wind its free, if not use fan , if not roll clothes in dry towel and wrap it up tightly , use your body heat ot dry the wet clothes, the most energy efficient way

Dryers, no doubt help to dry the clothes fast. It is also at high temperature that the fabric tends to "breaks", thus clothing are not able to last longer, as compared to normal drying.

Correct me if I am wrong -There are 2 types of gas dryers currently by Citygas.

https://www.citygas.com.sg/product-category/homes/condominium/drying-condominium/

It is the same for both HDB and Condos.

Rinnai has indication but website under construction. :D

Happy drying!

1 hour ago, BriefsGuy said:

is gas dryer more dangerous due to possible gas leak and should the burner spoil but gas turned on?

Briefly, it is not at all dangerous

if it is, my family and many who installed gas water heater (as most may choose to bathe at least twice per day)& dryer would have alrdy appeared on the news

i hve not heard of heater explode by gas in sg.

phone explode -yes

we didnt buy the gas and insurance so that we can fall back on someone

we knew it was safe

it is silly to buy a travel insurance cos u know your plane gonna explode in air

it shd b wise to use another form of trpt or nt to go

yes, there're some house owners / condo owners that do own a dryer.. some even have 2 washing machines & 2 dryers as far as i knew. if you really have the heart & the itch to buy a dryer.. go ahead. just be prepared to pay for whatever u used. yes sg maybe sunny & hot at all times.. the place where i rent the room.. imagine when the landlord has only got 2 bamboo poles.. u got to go buy ur own. and yes u got to waste time & effort to hang up ur laundry piece by piece.. yes u might have to wait for 3 days at least to dry indoors if u're not at home all day.. (esp most of us work thru out the day & only be home somewhere near midnight) 

And u gonna tell urself, tmr, u will take down the laundry.. the tmr will never come till u ran down to the last piece of underwear in ur drawer. so make up ur mind & buy whatever u want.

yes, some folks will hang their underwear & certain clothes.. the rest goes into the dryer.. it is really up to individual.

i believed that answer ur question.

Guest dry by day
1 hour ago, Zackling said:

yes, there're some house owners / condo owners that do own a dryer.. some even have 2 washing machines & 2 dryers as far as i knew. if you really have the heart & the itch to buy a dryer.. go ahead. just be prepared to pay for whatever u used. yes sg maybe sunny & hot at all times.. the place where i rent the room.. imagine when the landlord has only got 2 bamboo poles.. u got to go buy ur own. and yes u got to waste time & effort to hang up ur laundry piece by piece.. yes u might have to wait for 3 days at least to dry indoors if u're not at home all day.. (esp most of us work thru out the day & only be home somewhere near midnight) 

And u gonna tell urself, tmr, u will take down the laundry.. the tmr will never come till u ran down to the last piece of underwear in ur drawer. so make up ur mind & buy whatever u want.

yes, some folks will hang their underwear & certain clothes.. the rest goes into the dryer.. it is really up to individual.

i believed that answer ur question.

You need a loving and scolding bf to get your housechores properly done!!!

Staying in condo , had a dryer but never used it.

I prefer to hang dry. have a backyard with morning sun and a balcony. but mostly dry clothes at living room.

Mostly in 1 day all is dry. Only during rainy season it can take a bit longer.

Guest Willie

Finally I moved out from my parents home to my 4 room condo after 27 years. So happy to have my own crib. I need your advice for the best brand of washing machine and dryer. I prefer the units to be separated. I have a large laundry anyway. Thanks in advance.

Congrats on your own place!

I am using an Electrolux dryer but it's an ageing unit that's about 7 years old... my previous washer was an Electrolux unit that went kaput at the 5th year, while the dryer door cracked and broke around that time too. I repaired the dryer door since it was a relatively cheap fix but threw out the washer for a Samsung front loader with the EcoBubble wash system.

I've been using the Samsung for more than 2 years now and I'm very happy with the cleaning results. The Electrolux dryer is an old and no-frills unit that does its job and nothing more.

I opine Electrolux products aren't very durable so once the dryer gives up the ghost I'll probably try one from Bosch.

• G_M changed the title to Recommendations for Home Appliances for New Home (compiled)
Guest guest

you should not expect appliances to last beyong heir stated gurantee period.

its 1 to 2 years for most appliances , and they bowadays konk out on the exact day guarantee ends. 

On 3/19/2019 at 6:53 PM, Guest electrolux said:

I noticed now there are condo without an outdoor place to hang your clothes to dry. They are equipped with clothes dryer. Does clothes dryer consume a lot of electricity? I used the dryer before. It is quite convenience actually when you want a quick dry or when you are washing your bedsheet or blanket. But I noticed that my underwear torn apart quite fast especially around the waistband area.

My laundry load isn't that much, and my kitchen does not have a outdoor place to hang also. Mine is the old-school "put clothes on bamboo poles and stick them outside" kind. Since you don't have space to hang dry outside, then how about inside? Only issue with hanging inside is the type of detergent you using could cause some smells, and if you're cooking while your clothes are drying in the kitchen...Good luck. xD

All my appliances use electricity, other than my water heater (Electricity AND water :P). My electric bills are usually 2.5x to 3x higher compared to same hdb types. My washing machine is a 10kg-load one because I still got 2 cycles of NS haven't finish; need the extra load for my No.4's. xD That means I don't have space for the dryer anyway.

I've thought about getting one though. I'm just concerned whether the laundry will crease while being dried in the dryer. That would mean more work via ironing. At it stands, hanging the clothes out to dry makes them a bit straight since they're hanging down vertically. 

Oh wells, just my 2 cents.

Guest guest

JUst to send to laundry shop , then they will do everything for you, problem solved, 

pay some money and help the other lower income people.

sometimes , its worth paying for the convenience for less headache.

On 3/23/2019 at 5:46 AM, -Ignored- said:

Is it true that dryers at home dont work as well as those at the landromat??

https://www.facebook.com/groups/jpntravel/permalink/10158392663843625?sfns=mo

no, those dryers are part of the two-in-one machines where the washer and dryer is combined into one cube. Those dryers that are part of the two-in-ones take a very long time to dry clothes because they use the condensation technique rather than normal tumble dryers.

https://www.samsung.com/nz/support/home-appliances/my-washing-is-still-damp-after-drying/

3 minutes ago, zyjd said:

no, those dryers are part of the two-in-one machines where the washer and dryer is combined into one cube. Those dryers that are part of the two-in-ones take a very long time to dry clothes because they use the condensation technique rather than normal tumble dryers.

https://www.samsung.com/nz/support/home-appliances/my-washing-is-still-damp-after-drying/

My sis has a dryer as a dryer

and below it 

is another washing machine- 2 separate items

Guest guest

if u live 1 -3 persons good to invest in a small counter top dishwasher,  it uses less water than handwashing and saves your hand from harsh detergents and free up time for resting and kissing and foreplay.

I don’t use a dryer for 1) tend to cause my linens to worn out quite fast. It either looks old or gets torn 2) it will shrink the clothing 3) high electricity bill. 

As I don’t have an outdoor place to hang my wet  laundry, I will hang it indoor but use an air circulator fan to blow try it for few hours. Normally I will on fan the before I go to bed & switch it off the next morning when I wake up.

PS: If anyone says bedlinen is $10 & underwear is $14 for 5-6 pieces, I can only say if one can afford, treat yourself better

On 3/19/2019 at 6:53 PM, Guest electrolux said:

Yes, dryer consumed electricity as much as aircon.  It also generated alot of heat especially in an enclosed space like the kitchen. 

Don't read and response to guests' post

Guest Guest

If you like clothes hanging type, you can always look into some of these electric clothes hangers like the one below. Some even comes with hot air blowing and UV light shining ..

automatic-ceiling-cloth-hanger-drying-rack-cyclone-fan-lg968a-cincaibuy-1308-19-CincaiBuy@4.jpg

Guest Guest

I live in a hdb and my place hv got sunshine most of the time. Though me and my bf still decided to get a dryer which is convenient during those rainy day, or when we both don't hv time to hang the laundry out to sun as we both working. Our chance to sun dry the laundry only available on weekend.

What we normally do is we hand laundry after washing in door. Then we throw the laundry into dryer after 2 days of air dry. As the clothes r almost dry already so we don't hv to on the heater for too long. This saves a lot of electric too.

Drying clothes in heater is good way to kill whatever bacteria that survive the washing.

Guest guest
23 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

I live in a hdb and my place hv got sunshine most of the time. Though me and my bf still decided to get a dryer which is convenient during those rainy day, or when we both don't hv time to hang the laundry out to sun as we both working. Our chance to sun dry the laundry only available on weekend.

What we normally do is we hand laundry after washing in door. Then we throw the laundry into dryer after 2 days of air dry. As the clothes r almost dry already so we don't hv to on the heater for too long. This saves a lot of electric too.

Drying clothes in heater is good way to kill whatever bacteria that survive the washing.

I also do what you do, use dryer for the last 5 % of remaining moisture after air drying for 1.5 days, then use dryer or iron the clothes and then it will smell fresh like sun dried.

one of the down sides of sun drying is the strong UV rays in equatorial Singapore can fade the color of my dark work pants and also damage fibers of expensive clothes with good fabric so I air dry my precious clothes then iron dry or use stream iron for delicate fabrics and try to buy gentler clothes detergent.

On 3/20/2019 at 11:17 PM, Guest dry by day said:

You need a loving and scolding bf to get your housechores properly done!!!

Staying in condo , had a dryer but never used it.

I prefer to hang dry. have a backyard with morning sun and a balcony. but mostly dry clothes at living room.

Mostly in 1 day all is dry. Only during rainy season it can take a bit longer.

oh i never had a loving bf.. maybe u can recommend me one.. lol 

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Ahseng_ said:

Same, using bucket system to spin till is dry enough so that the clothes will not be dripping with water when it hang out to dry

Like that ah...? Tiring leh ....

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

As a busy professional with a hectic travel schedule, I couldn't totally rely on drying clothes outside on a pole. 

So I've been using a clothes dryer for many years. 

I have been using gas for my home central water heater and my clothes dryer that I got as a package from city gas... very cheap, as I did not want to expend electricity for this purpose and to be more environmentally friendly.

The Gas Clothes Dryer from Rennai has 4 program settings from the hot ( for towels and regular cotton).... to delicate low heat (for your better items or to refresh your jackets)

On a nice sunny day, I would hang my bedsheets outside to dry, otherwise the dryer does a good fast job ... and my towels come out nice and fluffy and most importantly dust free!

As for my expensive undies, I'll place it inside a dryer bag so it does not snag or rub on other clothes, so it stays good .

Go online and check out their products, it will save you money on utilities.

Cheers, Mike 

Guest Pleasure laundry

I enjoy drying my gay underwear outisde HDB area.  It dries fast due to strong sunlight and my handsome neighbour get to see them when he dries his laundry.  There is no better subtle way of showing  him that he has a gay neighbour?

Guest Guest
On 3/19/2019 at 7:10 PM, lovehandle said:

of course, for good quality undies, we will handwash and dpending on its fabric

As for dryer, it is not just damage on bedsheet
How long have u been using that bedsheet  (let's say u have two sheets to rotate only)?

many live in a condo here

Please do not assume many live in condo...isnt most singaporeans poor?

On 3/25/2019 at 9:00 PM, Guest Fan Tong said:

Related image

I like this idea to dry clothes,  and if there is low humidity indoors due to having air conditioning,

this should dry the clothes even faster, without having to use the blow dryers.

Edited by Steve5380

• 7 months later...
Guest Terence29
On 7/9/2019 at 2:11 AM, Steve5380 said:

I like this idea to dry clothes,  and if there is low humidity indoors due to having air conditioning,

this should dry the clothes even faster, without having to use the blow dryers.

That is ingenious. I tried it before and it really works.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.