Male HQ

What is the daily routine you MUST do?

thorzguy

Hi!

I was just wondering if anyone of you here have a daily routine or habit that you must do - regardless if is a work day or days that you have no intention of getting out of the house.

Not just about basic hygiene or religious point of view.

I have some friends who, for example:

1) Mr C - must smell good with cologne, and neatly styled hair.

2) Mr A - an ex colleague of mine, in his late 50s (straight and typical Uncle type) but ensure he's properly dressed (shirt and pants).

3) Ms L - have her contact lenses on and make up (do not wish to be seen with her glasses, even by her neighbors).

The reasons they gave were - ready to step out of the house, anytime and also to be seen as well dressed.

As for myself -  I must shave daily else I look like rather unkempt by evening. Messy hair is fine, so long I am at home.  :lol:

4 hours ago, cloxk said:

My dad, when i was growing up, once said that 'habits build characters'. I think he quoted Ovid, a Roman poet (correct me if I am wrong). 

So, I started to inculcate some habits where I must do every day, regardless how busy, how bad mood, how sick I am. 

1st, I must read. At least a few pages of non-fictional and a few pages of fictional book. Currently I am reading Break by Marian Keyes and Case Closed! Neuroanatomy by Warren Berger. 

2nd, I must call my family (I reside in KL now and my family is in JB). 

so intellectual of u and very family-oriented!

58 minutes ago, blowmenow said:

so intellectual of u and very family-oriented!

i am the only child in family, if i am not the one 'orienting' myself to my parents, i am not blessed with any siblings as their backup. 

56 minutes ago, blowmenow said:

the first thing i do in the morning is check my weight on weighing scale

and take my antioxidant supplement

wow sounds very health conscious. 

Why are you taking an antioxidant supplement? Do you have any medical diagnosis which is caused by your body having too much toxins? 

If it is to combat free radicals, if your body doesnt have too much of them, they can even be to a certain extent, good for you. The nearest area that i can think of is in terms of fitness. Our body produces the free radicals when we exercise, and in fact, these free radicals are the ones that actually trigger our muscle cells for muscular hypertrophy (which is what anyone who works out aim for). And the production of these free radicals will trigger our body to produce antioxidants. 

There is this thing called a respiratory burst or oxidative burst. This is another area in which free radicals can be good for our body. Because, at the crux of it, this burst is when our immune cells (phagocytes) release those free radicals to shoo all those microorganisms (bacteria and virus) away from our body. So, if your body doesnt have a super high free radicals, and you keep taking your antioxidant supplement, you might be putting ur immune system in danger. 

And another possible danger of taking that supplement is that at high concentration, it can be a 'pro-oxidant'. Lemme try to simplify it. If the supplement is a vit C supplement or consisting of a high concentration of that, you need to know that vit c does not only react with free radicals but also other things. And the reaction may cause this thing called Fenton Reaction, where the vit C reaction will then produce extra free radicals (i am sure you dont want this). This backfire will harm you cuz it has been shown that antioxidant supplements are ineffective in stopping the production of free radicals. 

Another thing is that if your supplement contains a high level of beta-carotene (this is the compound that gives the yellow/orange color on carrots, and some other fruits and veges), it can be harmful to you if you smoke cause it can actually increase your risk of getting cancer. 

Beta-carotene is converted to retinol (vitamin A), and a high dose of vit A is harmful as it can be toxic. Some of the symptoms of overdose are your skin turning yellow-orange (but this is mostly nothing to worry), and it can cause headache, nausea, even coma! And, it is so toxic it can even cause birth defects in pregnant women. 

On that note, to remember the toxicity of overdose of vitamins, always remember the higher the alphabetical order, the less toxic it is. Thus, the toxicity of vitamin A and all classes of vitamin B are the highest. Remember as well that vitamin B are so powerful it can even be used to cure cancer!

You can always verify the information i gave here, or just ignore them altogether. Merely positing my take on it. 

I am not dispensing nutritional advice or anything. Just giving you facts to consider, if you want. Perhaps you can ask your general physician. 

Thanks for reading

Edited by cloxk

17 hours ago, cloxk said:

My dad, when i was growing up, once said that 'habits build characters'. I think he quoted Ovid, a Roman poet (correct me if I am wrong). 

So, I started to inculcate some habits where I must do every day, regardless how busy, how bad mood, how sick I am. 

1st, I must read. At least a few pages of non-fictional and a few pages of fictional book. Currently I am reading Break by Marian Keyes and Case Closed! Neuroanatomy by Warren Berger. 

Reading is an excellent habit.

And nothing beats filial piety! Keep those calls going. :thumb:

13 hours ago, blowmenow said:

Monitoring your weight is good, just don't be overly obsessed with the numbers, unless you have a health condition to watch out for. 

Whatever supplement you are on, be sure to drink enough water.

3 cents thought. :)

1 hour ago, thorzguy said:

Reading is an excellent habit.

And nothing beats filial piety! Keep those calls going. :thumb:

It is an excellent habit for sure...but more importantly it makes me happy

yeah about those calls...there will come a time when I wont be able to call them anymore...and when that time comes...i dont wanna look back and realise that i havent done my best to spare them my time

18 hours ago, cloxk said:

i am the only child in family, if i am not the one 'orienting' myself to my parents, i am not blessed with any siblings as their backup. 

wow sounds very health conscious. 

Why are you taking an antioxidant supplement? Do you have any medical diagnosis which is caused by your body having too much toxins? 

If it is to combat free radicals, if your body doesnt have too much of them, they can even be to a certain extent, good for you. The nearest area that i can think of is in terms of fitness. Our body produces the free radicals when we exercise, and in fact, these free radicals are the ones that actually trigger our muscle cells for muscular hypertrophy (which is what anyone who works out aim for). And the production of these free radicals will trigger our body to produce antioxidants. 

There is this thing called a respiratory burst or oxidative burst. This is another area in which free radicals can be good for our body. Because, at the crux of it, this burst is when our immune cells (phagocytes) release those free radicals to shoo all those microorganisms (bacteria and virus) away from our body. So, if your body doesnt have a super high free radicals, and you keep taking your antioxidant supplement, you might be putting ur immune system in danger. 

And another possible danger of taking that supplement is that at high concentration, it can be a 'pro-oxidant'. Lemme try to simplify it. If the supplement is a vit C supplement or consisting of a high concentration of that, you need to know that vit c does not only react with free radicals but also other things. And the reaction may cause this thing called Fenton Reaction, where the vit C reaction will then produce extra free radicals (i am sure you dont want this). This backfire will harm you cuz it has been shown that antioxidant supplements are ineffective in stopping the production of free radicals. 

Another thing is that if your supplement contains a high level of beta-carotene (this is the compound that gives the yellow/orange color on carrots, and some other fruits and veges), it can be harmful to you if you smoke cause it can actually increase your risk of getting cancer. 

Beta-carotene is converted to retinol (vitamin A), and a high dose of vit A is harmful as it can be toxic. Some of the symptoms of overdose are your skin turning yellow-orange (but this is mostly nothing to worry), and it can cause headache, nausea, even coma! And, it is so toxic it can even cause birth defects in pregnant women. 

On that note, to remember the toxicity of overdose of vitamins, always remember the higher the alphabetical order, the less toxic it is. Thus, the toxicity of vitamin A and all classes of vitamin B are the highest. Remember as well that vitamin B are so powerful it can even be used to cure cancer!

You can always verify the information i gave here, or just ignore them altogether. Merely positing my take on it. 

I am not dispensing nutritional advice or anything. Just giving you facts to consider, if you want. Perhaps you can ask your general physician. 

Thanks for reading

Thank you so much for writing in great length... i read with keen interest... my thought was antioxidant is all good to anti-ageing, anti cancer and all good stuff only... little did i know antioxidant overdose can backfire and i know nothing about the Fenton effect and vitamin toxicity u mentioned here... No need to consult doctor or those, u oredy explained so well... i am thinking u must be a nutritionist or dietician or pharmacist? THANKS really. Ur sharing is very useful to me...

4 hours ago, cloxk said:

yeah about those calls...there will come a time when I wont be able to call them anymore...and when that time comes...i dont wanna look back and realise that i havent done my best to spare them my time

its a huge blessing for ur parents to have such good son like u

5 hours ago, thorzguy said:

Monitoring your weight is good, just don't be overly obsessed with the numbers, unless you have a health condition to watch out for. 

Whatever supplement you are on, be sure to drink enough water.

3 cents thought. :)

thanks for the reminder about water... i always feel my body dry... must make a point to drink more water

1 hour ago, blowmenow said:

its a huge blessing for ur parents to have such good son like u

i hope you are correct. i mean they deserve one with al the hardships and sacrifice they had done for me raising me and all

Thank you so much for writing in great length... i read with keen interest... my thought was antioxidant is all good to anti-ageing, anti cancer and all good stuff only... little did i know antioxidant overdose can backfire and i know nothing about the Fenton effect and vitamin toxicity u mentioned here... No need to consult doctor or those, u oredy explained so well... i am thinking u must be a nutritionist or dietician or pharmacist? THANKS really. Ur sharing is very useful to me...

yes anti-oxidant is good...the gist is that it is better to get it from your diet instead of supplements...

i am pleased that you understand my long writing and i did not waste your time reading it. 

I am neither nutritionist or dietician or pharmacist ... neither were any of those were my field of studies. 

thanks for the reminder about water... i always feel my body dry... must make a point to drink more water

i have several unsolicited tips for you...you can gulp a small bottle of water right when you wake up...this will wake u up (cold water is better ... if you are trying to burn more fat ... cold water has been proven to increase fat burning. 

another tip is that try to make it a point (perhaps you can set an alarm or reminder in ur phone) every 30 minutes when you are at work or home for you to drink a glass of water. 

you have my support in your goal to drink more water. 

20 hours ago, blowmenow said:

and on a final note, weight is not everything...the more important health indicators will be your bone density, water content and fat percentage. 

23 hours ago, cloxk said:

Wonderful! Not everyone thinks in this manner and to many - I can always call another day...

19 hours ago, blowmenow said:

Most supplement do "absorb" water. I read it somewhere, so yeah, just drink more water to replenish.

16 hours ago, iwannac said:

Make my bed and go to the gym

Sometimes I fail to do the latter and it makes me feel quite guilty.

Be sure to take a mini break, in the event if you are not feeling too good yah.

3 hours ago, iwannac said:

My picture is a lie. Rice is life.

Haha.. I like that last line.

• 2 weeks later...

anything gayish is not in my routine eg going to a gym?

What A has done -isn't that a norm and a must? nothing to do with Uncle or a kid (but it is indeed a joke or old-school that pp felt the need to dressup when goin to Orch, very old sch)
2) Mr A - an ex colleague of mine, in his late 50s (straight and typical Uncle type) but ensure he's properly dressed (shirt and pants). 
Properly dressed means properly attired in any form of clothing to fit the evnt/occasion

Let's widen it : fornight or mthly routine: 
apply mask?

if u guys strictly wanna a daily routine ie to wakup early for me, i m shocked that many deeemd that on hols/travel, it meant to wake up late, oh dear
(furthermore some of u emphasized on cultivating good habits )一日之计在于晨
No humans should start the day without:
li ka shing
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-IcDNgDry5Pg%2FWEqz2pfyblI%2FAAAAAAAARHo%2FsUyrU4vd2IoKaAL6g3tK6kP3H53dW6AEgCLcB%2Fs1600%2F4.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmother-lov.blogspot.com%2F2016%2F12%2Fblog-post_31.html&docid=cHC6InF0rYMXpM&tbnid=P6vRlp-rl1DnxM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwi_p-D6uMzhAhXh6nMBHQjwD8UQMwg_KAAwAA..i&w=500&h=350&bih=642&biw=1422&q=一个人如果连早起都做不到&ved=0ahUKEwi_p-D6uMzhAhXh6nMBHQjwD8UQMwg_KAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

What else can have for routine when we cannot even wakup early

there r plenty of waking up early quotes from famous businessmen, not just him

Old school on drinking water too, i m sorry , if that is really beneficial : all old folks' home and hospital should enforcd it, neither did army enforce it

Eh... what I meant for Mr A is that he dresses up in his shirt and pants, even when he knows that he has no work and no intention of leaving the house. I mean, most of us would take the opportunity to "dress down" when we do not need to leave the house, right?

Monthly routine for myself - visit the temple, do my volunteer work.

As for old school on drinking water - I gulp down minimum 300ml the first thing I wake up. Reason being - thirsty la. Hahaha..

On 4/14/2019 at 5:28 PM, thorzguy said:

Eh... what I meant for Mr A is that he dresses up in his shirt and pants, even when he knows that he has no work and no intention of leaving the house. I mean, most of us would take the opportunity to "dress down" when we do not need to leave the house, right?

Monthly routine for myself - visit the temple, do my volunteer work.

As for old school on drinking water - I gulp down minimum 300ml the first thing I wake up. Reason being - thirsty la. Hahaha..

so religious! 
good to spend time on volunteering!!

i think some will enter the house /flat and talk to their plants &/or pets (water them, shower them w luv)

i admit i m guilty, i will charge my phone first! (i m sorry, i dont use a portable battery charger whenever i m outside even though i have one, i told myself a good phone should be able to last u till the next day, sometimes i camped overnite at Sauna too, and i dont go straight home -will go for bfast after that)

5 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

so religious! 
good to spend time on volunteering!!

i think some will enter the house /flat and talk to their plants &/or pets (water them, shower them w luv)

i admit i m guilty, i will charge my phone first! (i m sorry, i dont use a portable battery charger whenever i m outside even though i have one, i told myself a good phone should be able to last u till the next day, sometimes i camped overnite at Sauna too, and i dont go straight home -will go for bfast after that)

Not religious la...maybe I do so much evil in life that I need to go to the temple (more often) leh? :lol:

Visiting the temple has a certain effect of calm on me.

I don't talk to my plants. Just do the necessary watering, fertilization or trimming. I do, however talk to my ex cats (whenever he's away, I will do cat-sit). I think they understand me. Hahaha.

Charge phone! Yes, I do that too. Though  I have power bank, car charger... still I must fully charged my phone before leaving the house. Sense of security? :D

On 3/30/2019 at 5:07 PM, thorzguy said:

Hi!

I was just wondering if anyone of you here have a daily routine or habit that you must do - regardless if is a work day or days that you have no intention of getting out of the house.

I have some friends who, for example:

1) Mr C - must smell good with cologne, and neatly styled hair.

3) Ms L - have her contact lenses on and make up (do not wish to be seen with her glasses, even by her neighbors).

The reasons they gave were - ready to step out of the house, anytime and also to be seen as well dressed.

As for myself -  I must shave daily else I look like rather unkempt by evening. Messy hair is fine, so long I am at home.  :lol:

Wow, when I seriously think about it,  I realised that I do NOT have a routine!

Oh wait. Morning kopi count anot?

Every morning, whether got work or no work, wake up brush teeth/wash face liao, must make kopi. THEN must on computer. Then either play game or browse forums (ahem). If no work, then the kopi finish liao make another one, and the gaming continues. xD

58 minutes ago, Nipoet said:

Every morning, whether got work or no work, wake up brush teeth/wash face liao, must make kopi. THEN must on computer. Then either play game or browse forums (ahem). If no work, then the kopi finish liao make another one, and the gaming continues. xD

Do you rely on your kopi to keep you awake, or kick start the day?

I have some friends who need to have coffee to kick start, if not a series of issues such as no energy, lethargic, headache etc may follow....

10 hours ago, thorzguy said:

I have some friends who need to have coffee to kick start, if not a series of issues such as no energy, lethargic, headache etc may follow....

More of a habit liao.

Although it does still serve as a pick-me-up for my mornings, as I'll still feel sleepy if I don't have my cuppa.

13 hours ago, Nipoet said:

of cos count, i saw many queueing for starbucks or those u know kopi stalls like Wangz or Yakun (as though coffee and toast is a must)
b it playing games, using phone or Computers (Some parents hope their kids would stop playing but they themselves threw kids oneside and they playd happily)

the above,
to me it is just like an addiction already

3 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

of cos count, i saw many queueing for starbucks or those u know kopi stalls like Wangz or Yakun (as though coffee and toast is a must)
b it playing games, using phone or Computers (Some parents hope their kids would stop playing but they themselves threw kids oneside and they playd happily)

the above,
to me it is just like an addiction already

owl omg GIF

6 hours ago, Nipoet said:

More of a habit liao.

Although it does still serve as a pick-me-up for my mornings, as I'll still feel sleepy if I don't have my cuppa.

Meaning your body depends on it to “wake up”... good to have some caffeine but not too much.

1 hour ago, -Ignored- said:

i m rather surprised that no1 states that :

it is a daily must to visit BW page 
or to post quotes and similar pages online

Probably like must visit Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc... #FOMO. 

On 3/30/2019 at 7:32 PM, cloxk said:

Wow... having to read something every day is a wonderful thing you have been brought up to do! Very impressed!

On 4/25/2019 at 11:53 PM, PokingFun said:

Wow... having to read something every day is a wonderful thing you have been brought up to do! Very impressed!

thanks Mr. 

Yourself, what are the things you do everyday or as a routine?

Workout? Cuz you sure have a smackin' bod'

On 4/22/2019 at 7:45 PM, thorzguy said:

So glad I'm not the only one hahaha :lol:

If I don't take my dosage of coffee in the morning, my headache will slowly develop and it will last until I drink a cup regardless of what time. I guess this is coffee poisoning in some ways lol

3 hours ago, Arufonsu said:

So glad I'm not the only one hahaha :lol:

If I don't take my dosage of coffee in the morning, my headache will slowly develop and it will last until I drink a cup regardless of what time. I guess this is coffee poisoning in some ways lol

Hahahaha... Addiction to coffee is better than addiction to the other vices, isn't it?

So long, one isn't over reliant on coffee, I do feel some caffeine can be good too.

On 4/30/2019 at 7:20 PM, thorzguy said:

Hahahaha... Addiction to coffee is better than addiction to the other vices, isn't it?

So long, one isn't over reliant on coffee, I do feel some caffeine can be good too.

Indeed it is. I'm glad that one cup of coffee per day will do the job perfectly for me else I would spend a lot on coffee lol

On 3/30/2019 at 5:07 PM, thorzguy said:

Hi!

One of my daily routine is to post on BW, except Sat and Sun, which is restdays. :D

Don't read and response to guests' post

5 minutes ago, LeanMature said:

One of my daily routine is to post on BW, except Sat and Sun, which is restdays. :D

Hahaha.. sounds kind of a ritual.

Interesting. So, assuming due to whatsoever reasons that you are unable to access BW, do you feel "withdrawn"? 

16 minutes ago, thorzguy said:

Hahaha.. sounds kind of a ritual.

Interesting. So, assuming due to whatsoever reasons that you are unable to access BW, do you feel "withdrawn"? 

When that happens, I will browse porn sites. :(

Don't read and response to guests' post

2 hours ago, Loverofmassage said:

I usually needs about 2.

1 in the morning

2 after lunch

quite addictive leh

i warned my parent even 1-2 is too much, excessive
Zero for me

Any members dont take coffee or tea usually? 

Edited by lovehandle

6 hours ago, LeanMature said:

When that happens, I will browse porn sites. :(

Hmm... BW = Porn sites? Hahaha...

4 hours ago, Heahe said:

D. Routine - go to the toilet and clear my bowel. Whatever it takes. 

Very good to clear bowel daily, though there are people who clear bowel few times a week.

3 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

quite addictive leh

i warned my parent even 1-2 is too much, excessive
Zero for me

Any members dont take coffee or tea usually? 

I can go without actually. I take coffee is because of the aroma. Am a hopeless case la. Drink anytime, also can sleep one. Coffee has no effect on me.

Thorz, i just realised is ur nickname connected to any heroes/marvel ?? 

same here! coffee totally doesnt work on me
In fact, i dislike its aroma (dont ask me, pls dont)

Btw the residues of coffee grind, can be use just like fertilisers for plants

Hahaha... totally no relevance to the superheros.  In fact, my size is a huge contrast to Thor... :lol:

I did consider a coffee machine, but what's the point when is only me drinking at home? So I choose those instant coffee. Robert Timms - so far so good.

When I am outside, usually I opt for "Asian" coffee. Tea wise, besides green tea, I take PuEr. Don't really know how to appreciate English Tea.