Male HQ

Anyone bought their own house in their 30's? Share your story!

Guest Moving out

U may wanna note of the new policy:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/hdb-loan-cpf-rules-buy-property-flats-home-11518170?cid=FBcna

May b a gd news to some

Sadly some netizens dont get to understand the pt of laxing policy yet crying who will live till 95

now mortality rate has increased

Guest Seow Ding Dong
7 minutes ago, Letsrelaxpp said:

Y

Yes but u can rent out the whole flat and finance your stay at the nursing home. 

No point.  sell and stay in nursing home better.  You go in cannot guarantee will cum out to be able to dispose your flat. Better do a clean job, settle all the bills and throw away everything to stay a clean and unworried life in nursing home till the Amitaba day.

1 hour ago, Letsrelaxpp said:

Yes but u can rent out the whole flat and finance your stay at the nursing home. 

yes, it is about planning

And some is due to SERS eg a father is moving to a new fllat due to sers (he may wanna upgrade to a bigger room flat cos old 3-rm flat may be much larger than current 4room)

but her children are all in NS or still studying (dont ever assume kids will get married & move out, her elder daughter is a lesbian , everyone knew that )

Dad is NOT young anymore and NOT earning alot (need to stretch his $ and loan) even if he is using another name w elder daughter who will be working only after a few years

THis policy has an impact on financial planning and loan arrangement

if u r too old, u might not be able to go for larger room flat (Now kids all grown up , shall not share room anymore and some prefer to have a study/TV/relax room too) as old policy doesnt allow u to take up a heavier loan

A policy is NOT designed for a certain group only, many can benefit from it 

even if the dad is into hospice (eventually if dead the sums go to his beneficiary too) or not, the kids need to continue living mah
I see many situation where this policies can be apply beneficially

On 5/7/2019 at 10:05 AM, NDEE said:

I bought my first condo in my mid 20s. I come from a normal family. Father cab driver mum housewife, we stay in hdb. Worked pretty hard and saved very hard. When I was about to buy I really contemplated very long because I had enough for downpayment only. But I decided to go ahead because I don’t want my funds to be locked up in bank doing nothing and I really wanted a property of my own. If I don’t do so, I have to wait till 10 years later before I can buy HDB. Now I’m more motivated to work harder and not slack off. Decision I will not regret :)

Same. I wiped out almost all my savings and cpf to pay the first 25% when i was 29.. thereafter just save up before the house TOP and you need to pay for higher repayments.. good motivation and goal setting for me..

2 hours ago, onlylonely said:

Same. I wiped out almost all my savings and cpf to pay the first 25% when i was 29.. thereafter just save up before the house TOP and you need to pay for higher repayments.. good motivation and goal setting for me..

great! so proud of u!!!! did u go on tours all the time (at that period)?

Guest Curious
On 5/7/2019 at 10:05 AM, NDEE said:

I bought my first condo in my mid 20s. I come from a normal family. Father cab driver mum housewife, we stay in hdb. Worked pretty hard and saved very hard. When I was about to buy I really contemplated very long because I had enough for downpayment only. But I decided to go ahead because I don’t want my funds to be locked up in bank doing nothing and I really wanted a property of my own. If I don’t do so, I have to wait till 10 years later before I can buy HDB. Now I’m more motivated to work harder and not slack off. Decision I will not regret :)

How many room condo, is the location good? Is it really worth it to wipe your savings for a house..?

1 hour ago, Letsrelaxpp said:

Rich dad poor dad will tell you "a house is a liability until you can turn it into an asset" and likewise the same for a car especially in sg. 

Many do not have a good understanding of the meaning of asset and liability.

As long as you are able to derive economic benefits out of it, whether tangible or intangible, it will be an asset.

A property is always an asset because you are deriving benefits out of it. You can live in it (else you have to pay to rent) or you can rent out to get rental income. It doesn’t matter whether the property is still under mortgage and you need to service the loan. You can also choose to sell it off to get back cash if you like and with capital gains if the value has increased.

The only time it is considered a liability is when the outstanding loan amount exceeds the value of the property. Usually that won’t happen because you are only allowed to borrow a maximum of 80% the value of the property. But even if there is a recession and your property value drops, the bank won’t usually ask you to top up the difference if you have been promptly paying the installment.

Edited by Singroc

tks Singroc for clarifying

b it staying alone or not, start to make your own villa or hotel staycation with your (even if is just a small HDB flat) flat

Who hacked their walls to create more space ? 

or insisting of keeping their rooms eg a 3rm flat must really have 3rms (ie incld of living room)
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/574631233703827032/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/674062269205895899/
more decor ideas at our gardening thread pls

On 5/12/2019 at 9:40 AM, Guest Curious said:

How many room condo, is the location good? Is it really worth it to wipe your savings for a house..?

It’s a 1br and 1 study room condo around Queenstown area. I think it’s worth it for me because if not I have to wait 10 years before I can purchase hdb and by then who knows how the law will change and what kind of restrictions I will face. And it’s a good motivation for me to work harder now! 

Guest guest guest
2 minutes ago, NDEE said:

It’s a 1br and 1 study room condo around Queenstown area. I think it’s worth it for me because if not I have to wait 10 years before I can purchase hdb and by then who knows how the law will change and what kind of restrictions I will face. And it’s a good motivation for me to work harder now! 

good on yer.

a roof over your head  and air con place to get a good sleep at night

Guest Curious
On 5/15/2019 at 9:22 PM, NDEE said:

Why not wait until 35 so you can pay with cpf?

Guest My own
On 5/12/2019 at 4:17 PM, -Ignored- said:

tks Singroc for clarifying

b it staying alone or not, start to make your own villa or hotel staycation with your (even if is just a small HDB flat) flat

Who hacked their walls to create more space ? 

or insisting of keeping their rooms eg a 3rm flat must really have 3rms (ie incld of living room)
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/574631233703827032/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/674062269205895899/
more decor ideas at our gardening thread pls

I did exactly what u said. Hack 1 room and store room and my 3 room looked larger than my neighbour 4 room flat. I stay alone like a king. It is my palace and me enjoying much needed freedom and peacefulness. I hate to share my flat with other people. I know many people want to rent it out but life is short and I want to make full use of the freedom to stay alone and do what I like : cooking home decor fucking sleeping late..etc

2 hours ago, Guest Curious said:

Why not wait until 35 so you can pay with cpf?

Hmmm I’m self employed so I don’t have much cpf to begin with. And it’s going to be a 10 years wait. Too Long a time and many things might change. So just wanna work on what I have at the moment

• 1 year later...
Guest Over thinking?

My current place is going to last me until I am 120 year old before it became zero value.  Not going to think too much as long as it sheltered me from storm, shine, pandemic, bitches and relatives...etc.   Happy to have a place than not having anything at all.  Most importantly, freedom to do what I wanted with it and then can go overseas hitch hiking and bring home some memorable items from overseas - like village crafts or something home make.

Guest Condo
On 5/15/2019 at 9:22 PM, NDEE said:

How much do you have to set out the cash? How much do you have to pay monthly to the bank? How much is the condo maintenance every month? How much is the condo? Is a dual unit condo good? Which job field you are in? Can share with me if you dont mind?

my partner bought 5 room in his mid 30s - together we have paid it off.

this will serve as our home and passive income until he is ready to join me in retirement. 

we get rent every month, and also now the house has expanded its use as home office, meditation, gym, movie projection theatre.

so honestly, its value has gone up since the pandemic, as we are using it for a lot more things and rediscovering our own space.

when we are both ready to retire, we will liquidate and i will utilise my first time home buyer's privilege for a cute flexi studio.

the remainder from the liquidated amount will be added back to our main retirement fund, which are policies, savings, and other liquid options.

CPF is our third safety net, just use for medical or supplementary things. we stopped believing that CPF will "take care of us" about 12 years ago lol.

about 10 years ago, we did dream of retiring elsewhere, but now there is no point.

so even if we travel 4 to 6 mths a year, we will always own the flexi studio as our home base. 

that way we can enjoy the flavours of the world, without the reality and commitment of being a second class citizen or a foreigner.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

14 minutes ago, tomcat said:

this will serve as our home and passive income until he is ready to join me in retirement. 

we get rent every month, and also now the house has expanded its use as home office, meditation, gym, movie projection theatre.

so honestly, its value has gone up since the pandemic, as we are using it for a lot more things and rediscovering our own space.

when we are both ready to retire, we will liquidate and i will utilise my first time home buyer's privilege for a cute flexi studio.

the remainder from the liquidated amount will be added back to our main retirement fund, which are policies, savings, and other liquid options.

CPF is our third safety net, just use for medical or supplementary things. we stopped believing that CPF will "take care of us" about 12 years ago lol.

about 10 years ago, we did dream of retiring elsewhere, but now there is no point.

so even if we travel 4 to 6 mths a year, we will always own the flexi studio as our home base. 

that way we can enjoy the flavours of the world, without the reality and commitment of being a second class citizen or a foreigner.

So good! Envy much! ~

19 hours ago, Kimochi said:

So good! Envy much! ~

Start small, I guess. Aim to be independent, self sufficient and have your own roof over your head, no matter how small.

This may be a bit controversial but for me, it is healthier to live away from parents or have your own place by late 30s.

If at 40 or 50, still living with parents, you are stagnating and it is a bit unnatural, and not good for mental health.

Most parents raise their young, so they can be independent and fly far away from the nest, just as long as they remember to come home.

I am sure your parents also feel like failures having a 50 year old son still living with them, and there is this pressure in the air.

Always asking what's next, or nagging about nothing in particular....it can be bad for both you and your parents, esp in their elder years.

So if you are a young man reading this, please make plans to have your own home. You need to take care of yourself.

Edited by tomcat

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Guest Guest899

21 hours ago, tomcat said:

hmm? so you guys live in the 5rm flat or no? 

you rent it out? so you live in your home whilst having a tenant ? 

just curious thats all 

5 minutes ago, Guest Guest899 said:

hmm? so you guys live in the 5rm flat or no? 

you rent it out? so you live in your home whilst having a tenant ? 

just curious thats all 

Yes, living in the flat as owners and landlord lor.

Currently, 1 common room rented out. Pre-pandemic, both common rooms were rented out.

Now extra common room is converted to home gym, home office & projection room.  

For time being, this arrangement works, since we are mostly at home these days.

And also don't feel comfortable interviewing potentially infectious prospective tenants.

Our tenants tend to be through word of mouth, so to date it has usually been white expats, Japanese, or some other nationalities.

So far we have not actually rented out to Singaporeans yet, because mostly they do not have the budget aka cheapo.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

To the TS who asked the obvious , then I shall share my obvious 

At age 35  I wanted my own place . 

Steps - for those who dont even want to use their brain to think

1. Engaged a property agent , tell him what I want . 

2. One week later went around viewing

3. See until u hap and found the one u like 

4. Made an offer, seller will bargain 
5. If deal , buy , if not , start from Step 2 again , viewing 

Why I said asking the obvious , because unless u r expecting 

1.  met a rich guy , he like me so much he bought me a house 

2. An old fell, I helped him, he is so grateful wanted to thank me and gave me a house 

3. Some shopping centre lucky draw I won a house 

4. Dont know why , suddenly my parents told me they want to buy me a house 

5. Anything u can think of other than what I share about the CONVENTIONAL way , one would buy a house 

4 hours ago, mate69 said:

quite true ba i feel 

Quite agree. Yet some have their honey stolen from their house. 

But so far my gay couple friends in their 30s do indeed have their own space - either rented apartment or bought.

Edited by yuquidam

Guest wahahaha
18 hours ago, yuquidam said:

Quite agree. Yet some have their honey stolen from their house. 

While others, turned their house into a "Bee Hive" and kept busy....wahahahaha

i will never invest in singapore properties. One of the main reasons is government. I do not believe the government is doing a good job. Property property prices in sg is also 2 high. And only 99 years! What will happen when 99 years is up? Its worthless! I will be kicked out and live in the streets with zero value!

I rather invest in countries with stable government who cares deeply for the people like Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam thab Singapore. Un singapore $2million get u 1200sqf. In malaysia sg$2million u get a palace!

17 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

i will never invest in singapore properties. One of the main reasons is government. I do not believe the government is doing a good job. Property property prices in sg is also 2 high. And only 99 years! What will happen when 99 years is up? Its worthless! I will be kicked out and live in the streets with zero value!

I rather invest in countries with stable government who cares deeply for the people like Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam thab Singapore. Un singapore $2million get u 1200sqf. In malaysia sg$2million u get a palace!

Pros and cons lar hor.

You might not agree with the future paper valuation here especially with HDB houses but are other countries better? Several projects in KL JB may not be servicing the owners up to their expectations - since you deem Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam having stable governments then there is no point for further discussion LOL. Then of course,  there's the question of good economy and eco-systems - these might be crucial for most investors.

It really depends on how you view and strategise properties as an investment i guess. I think @tomcat has got his investment formulation right considering the period and opportunity he was given - i'm pretty jealous :) haha

So good luck in investing elsewhere :) from my readings, to keep an open mind, just as many Singaporeans who had invested abroad, there are also many foreigners who had invested here. I chose to invest here.

A truly accomplished wallflower.....
Not an expert so if you're gonna rely on my advice, please keep in mind to do it at your own risk. 

I was glad I bought my HDB when I was in my 30s.

I've seen friends who are now still renting rooms or HDB and have to move house every few years, also friends who don't have house to live in because they spent most of their time overseas and hardly come back and don't contribute to CPF, etc. Now in their 50s, divorced, estrange with family and children, etc.

Another friend who keep buying and selling his HDB to make a little profit over the difference in the buy and selling and spend lots of money renovating the home and ended up still have to worked his ass off in his 50s to pay off the housing loan.

So, in conclusion, If you can get a HDB flat, be it resale or purchase, do try to own at least a 3 room, worst come to worst a 2 room. If you can rent out your whole unit after 5 years, by all means, or rent out a room to let the rental supplement your other bills or expenditure. All these are your entitlement as a Singaporean to own a HDB. The government also subsidize part of your HDB and also the rental rates for HDB are not that high. If you are well to do, you can get a condo, etc.

Anyway, the house you buy is for a roof over your head when you are old. There are not right and wrong how you want to spend your money or if you want to buy or not buy a house. Just make sure that the decision you made in your 30s won't be a regret later in your 50s or 60s.

For those who don't believe in the government can migrate oversea and don't have to park themselves in a country they are unhappy about always grumbling and complaining. Go find your own happiness. A few of my friends had moved on with their live and had migrated to China, HK and or Australia and won't be back except for holidays. Another friend went to live oversea, thinking of migrating because he was always complaining about how bad the garment is, etc. but after a few years living overseas, the come back to Sg and kept his mouth shut and never hear him complaint any more. Well, these are just some examples.

Hope it would help some of you make your decision.

Guest Here is the Kicker
24 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

You won't be kicked out so easily.  You will likely kicked the bucket first, before the property reached zero value.

if u do want to invest in a property in singapore for whatever reasons  i strongly suggest you buy a flat in sengkang. Sengkang proves to be a progressive and a politically advanced area in singapore. Other places to consider is aljunied or hougang. But I prefer sengkang as it has a modern vibe. The people living there is younger and forward thinking with a mind if its own. Sengkang community does not believe in msm or propaganda and its a place where the community is pushing bounderies and ideas.

Better be quick as the people from the arts, the creative and fashion industries are flocking there in doves. Property prices in sengkang will only go up and be more expensive.

On 8/4/2020 at 8:14 PM, tomcat said:

This is like my relationship and life goals. Im so curious how you get to achieve all of these. And nowadays, I keep thinking how it would be to live with a partner because relationship in this community tend to be short-lived, which is quite sad.

25 minutes ago, kidster said:

Try renting a room a for month or two in the estate you want to buy properties to get a sense of the traffic, availability of food, accessibility etc.

It's a lifetime decision after all.

Landlord won't rent for a month or two. Min 6 months to 2 years 

1 hour ago, kidster said:

Try renting a room a for month or two in the estate you want to buy properties to get a sense of the traffic, availability of food, accessibility etc.

It's a lifetime decision after all.

I don’t think you need to live in the place to get a sense of traffic, availability of food and accessibility. These are due diligence u do when you consider a house.

22 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

i will never invest in singapore properties. One of the main reasons is government. I do not believe the government is doing a good job. Property property prices in sg is also 2 high. And only 99 years! What will happen when 99 years is up? Its worthless! I will be kicked out and live in the streets with zero value! I rather invest in countries with stable government who cares deeply for the people like Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam thab Singapore...

Recently, there has been a lot of fear-mongering about the 99 year lease. Even saw an ad on Youtube, an auntie voice-over:

"Did you know that your flat is worthless at the end of its lease? All that money you spent is GONE! What should you do? Let me share with you!"

Haha, this has been public knowledge since forever, but only now being cherry-picked to scam others into signing up for their programs.

Using fear to manipulate others is really the lowest of the low.

The reality is that you occupy only maybe 40-50 years of the 99 years. Which gives ample time for your relatives to do something with the unit.

Who cares what happens after you die? It's more important to ensure a good life while you are actually here. Which comes down to the other point.

The moment you liquidate everything & retire elsewhere, be ready to be treated as a 2nd class citizen for the rest of your life.

Does not matter where you go, even places with the best healthcare, Canada, NZ, Sweden - they will prioritise their own people first. This is logical and normal.

So unless you have the funds to override public healthcare & mobilise private hospitalisation, you are better off growing old and dying in Singapore.

This has been greatly illustrated during this pandemic, when each country will address and prioritise their own citizens first. 

But we realised this about 8 years ago, after talking to people who have retired outside of Singapore. They are literally on their own, in this aspect.

And because they are in their 50s when they migrated, new hospitalisation / healthcare policies are out of the picture due to price and eligibility.

That is A LOT of uncertainty to take on in your old age.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

19 hours ago, MunchteenCat said:

This is like my relationship and life goals. I'm so curious how you get to achieve all of these.

And nowadays, I keep thinking how it would be to live with a partner because relationship in this community tend to be short-lived, which is quite sad.

Thanks MunchteenCat! I wish there was a secret formula.

But mostly is Luck and Preparation. Luck is meeting someone who shares my goals and aims in Life. 

From experience, the best indicator of a worthy partner is when you and him have your own goals, but together, you are able to get there faster, with less effort. 

Not to say that we cannot stand on our own, but together, you are able to combine each other's strengths and focuses, becoming stronger and more effective.

That is really the benefit of being in a relationship, both logistically and financially. But in hindsight, even if I was single I would be okay actually.

Which brings us to the next point:

Preparation comes in the form of your own nourishment and success. You need to invest in yourself, and at least figure out what your Life means to you.

And what your ideal life looks like. You have to define it based on your own strengths and limitations, and that will help to refine your search.

It seems strange, because we have been conditioned to think of success, happiness and power to come outside from ourselves,

but in Reality, you have to nurture these yourself. And in your search, find a person who matches you in terms of your worth and value.

It is a total paradigm shift, but it will take a lot of de-programming and also learning to love and recognise yourself first.

You are not here to "complete" someone else or find have someone who is responsible for your happiness.

To be honest, this is why most gay relationships do not last. Everyone wants to find the Mr Right, but no ones wants to be Mr Right.

The reality of home life with a partner is not that difference from normal couple. There are chores, like laundry, dishes, grocery shopping.

There are fights, misunderstandings and things changing over the years. People change and that is normal.

If this is truly a long term relationship, be prepared for him (and yourself) to change during that time.

What makes a relationship last is adapting to those changes with open communication, trust, understanding.

Usually there is Love and Commitment there, even if other things have passed.

Hope this brings some help to you and others in your position who might be reading!

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Guest Lone Fox
5 minutes ago, tomcat said:

Not to say that we cannot stand on our own, but together, you are able to combine each other's strengths and focuses, becoming stronger and more effective.

I admire those who can move around in pack, in duo, in herds like some kind of tribe.  As for me...*sigh*  I am a

LONE FOX

and I moved around quietly, mysteriously and carefully.  I lived alone, in a mountain, on the hill and howled everytime a moon came up.

4 minutes ago, Guest Lone Fox said:

I admire those who can move around in pack, in duo, in herds like some kind of tribe.  As for me...*sigh*  I am a

LONE FOX

and I moved around quietly, mysteriously and carefully.  I lived alone, in a mountain, on the hill and howled everytime a moon came up.

To be completely honest, I was one of these too for the longest time.

To date, I have only had 2 serious boyfriends, one of which eventually became my life partner.

And to be really really honest, I still view myself as a one half of a unit - not one conjoined entity.

I think that is important for our own mental and spiritual health, and ultimately the health of the relationship.

You cannot lose yourself in place of the union. Because then, there is no more of You left to give anything to it.

Remember, even lone wolves and foxes belong to a pack - of which they return to mate or find refuge with.

The lone animal can survive on its own, but it survives better, longer, easier when there is more than one.

It is just one of the fundamental laws of Nature and Universe. 

We can try to fight it but we cannot disavow ourselves from it.

Just know when is the right time to unite or be separate.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Guest happy go lucky
19 hours ago, Since u r here said:

I dont knw why it bcame pack of animals or wolves and why sengkang??!

just cos of: a

I dont find it attractive at all

although many find waterways fantastic or a consolation!

if u need water, u go straight to a beach

or at least a real sg river( built from a canal) in the cities

punggol is out, sk too, wdlands and tamps all such far-away places r beyond me, good that some of u find them fantastic to live at n that is also why many will find sg a land of opport cos every corner r deemed to be gd for investmt

bought means payup all, or just signup to begin installment???

for me, it means payup all or the bulk of it.

end 30s done so...

i purposely found a place far from mrt, happily staying there now, if i stay near town or mrt, will be too tempted to go to town and spend unnecessary money

nowadays with grocery delivery, i dont even need to step out of my house, can happily spend my weekdays work from home and weekends also enjoy from home

thank god my neighbours are not the nosey kind and mind their own business and i meet acquaintances once a year near my home, life is so blissful!!

• 1 year later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.