Male HQ

Why Malay food very expensive?

Guest Food

I ordered hokkien prawn mee at this kopitiam. Alamak, the portion is very small for 4.50. I understand that ingredients can be expensive but why give so little for the noodle. I dunno how describe the amount of the noodle. But a bit disbelieved. Like is it a joke? 

Even if order from other malay stalls for other food, the price is always more expensive. 

Buy ingredients from JB n cook yourself is the cheapest.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Dabao

This stall near my workplace always charge Chinese more, experimented a few times, 1 meat two veg charged me $6.00. Asked my Malay colleague to dabao exact same thing $4 only, and he got more veg portion some more. 

And you don't know the Ang Moh surcharge.

At the food court in Clementi if the young Malaysian Chinese serve me I pay 2.70 for 1 meat 2 vegetable, but if the older Singaporean (50s) does the cashier I pay 6.50. When I complain he will come with a stupid reason.

LOL

Maybe the threadstarter should be friendlier to the Malay stall owner. Usually the Malay stall always give too much food. And nowadays they have certain prices, like one chicken Drumstick already $2.50 - 3.00

I think the Moderators should delete the thread.

Guest ha ha ha
2 hours ago, Guest Dabao said:

This stall near my workplace always charge Chinese more, experimented a few times, 1 meat two veg charged me $6.00. Asked my Malay colleague to dabao exact same thing $4 only, and he got more veg portion some more. 

And my younger brother always got the bigger ice cream....

6 hours ago, Guest curious said:

......and you didn't complain when paying a $6-$7 Starbucks ice blended. :blink:

I didn't complain cause I never buy from starbuck ice blended. The only time or 2 in my life that I buy is when I treat my other 2 engineers working ot to fix our machine and the other time together with my colleague is when starbuck having 1 to 1 promotion. 

I dont buy all those koi n branded bubble tea. I only buy once in a while the 1.50 bubble tea in my neighbourhood stall. 

7 hours ago, Guest Be Clear said:

I hope the author is not starting any racial discussion. What sort of malay food? You need to be clear. 

Malay food in general. Really even my malay colleague and other race colleague also said the same things. 

4 hours ago, Guest ha ha said:

And for the Indo Moneyboy he pay $250!

I never hired indo moneyboy before. Have you? I only go to 10 dollar sauna the most. 

4 hours ago, Guest food said:

And you don't know the Ang Moh surcharge.

At the food court in Clementi if the young Malaysian Chinese serve me I pay 2.70 for 1 meat 2 vegetable, but if the older Singaporean (50s) does the cashier I pay 6.50. When I complain he will come with a stupid reason.

LOL

Maybe the threadstarter should be friendlier to the Malay stall owner. Usually the Malay stall always give too much food. And nowadays they have certain prices, like one chicken Drumstick already $2.50 - 3.00

I think the Moderators should delete the thread.

Im not sure who is the stall owner. But got 2 person there manning the stall outside. N we keep exchanging smiles. N the one who is cooking is inside the kitchen which I cannot see. 

7 hours ago, mate69 said:

Got pic of portions and receipt then talk 

I dont think I want to go back. Already so dissapointed. But if you really challenge me, I will go back just for the sake of taking the picture of the food. 

Guest guest

ugly but true.  a lot of hawker stalls charge on color or age.

ever kena nasi padang stall at beo crescent charge me $6.50 for a piece of chicken and sayur lodeh, but charge the macik in front of me $3.50 for the same items.  

also kena a veggy rice stall at a coffee shop in yishun charge me $3.80 for 1 meat 2 veg but charge the old lady in front of me $2.50 exactly same items.

you just dont buy from them ever again after that.  not much anyone can do.  

Malay stalls charge non Malays higher.

Chinese or Indian stalls charge non regulars higher.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

5 hours ago, Guest guest said:

ever kena nasi padang stall at beo crescent charge me $6.50 for a piece of chicken and sayur lodeh, but charge the macik in front of me $3.50 for the same items.  

also kena a veggy rice stall at a coffee shop in yishun charge me $3.80 for 1 meat 2 veg but charge the old lady in front of me $2.50 exactly same items.

Same thing applied to workplace also. When minority get treated differently. I dont understand some lady. Like no hands or legs. Have call ppl to move things ard for them but herself just stand there. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same experience with several Nasi Padang stalls and just to name a few:

(a)  Coba @ Yishun - 1 meat, 1 vegetable and 1 side dish with a lime juice and I am always charged between $8-$10

(b)  Nasi Padang @ Royal Square (next to Novena Square) - 1 meat, 1 vegetable and 1 side dish with a lime juice = $10-$12

(c)  Che'Rose @ Toa Payoh - 1 meat, 1 vegetable and 1 side dish = $7.50-$8.00

and the list can go on and on.

So, do they really charge me more because I am non-Malay?

Edited by kimlo777

Suck my tits and I'll lick your balls.

Lick my arse and I'll suck your cock.

All in sex is fair.

The only bad thing about sex is that it doesn't last long enough.

Read my blog - www.anasianjourney.blogspot.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 4/14/2019 at 8:59 AM, Guest guest said:

Im not racist but noticed this too. 

Different ppl got to pay different price.  

When these hawkers r in trouble or dying those pay cheaper will help. 

Muslim food ingredients are more expensive, cos they can only use Halal ingredients, especially meat. Hence, it is usually more expensive than Chinese food. Also, I believe,(in many cases) they do charge their own race lower as muslims in Singapore and Malaysia are very strong as a community. They are closely knitted. This can be observed from the way their wedding is held. They hold it at common space so that they can cater to large groups of people, including friends of friends. If we view it in their perspective, then it won't be considered racist. Say if you go to your relative's food store, they are generally nicer and give you more stuffs or charge you cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest who likes Malay daddies...
On 3/1/2020 at 6:47 AM, rick2ay said:

Muslim food ingredients are more expensive, cos they can only use Halal ingredients, especially meat. Hence, it is usually more expensive than Chinese food. Also, I believe,(in many cases) they do charge their own race lower as muslims in Singapore and Malaysia are very strong as a community. They are closely knitted. This can be observed from the way their wedding is held. They hold it at common space so that they can cater to large groups of people, including friends of friends. If we view it in their perspective, then it won't be considered racist. Say if you go to your relative's food store, they are generally nicer and give you more stuffs or charge you cheaper.

1. Wonder if you really shop in the market... Now most slaughter house (except pork) they use the halal way... There's no such thing as Halal chicken or halal beef. Or why McD KFC can be xheaper?

2. Closely knitted... I know a Malay man... Who used to be a favourite child in the family, now his parents passed away, he got ill... His siblings throw him into a care home, and told the care home to refused his ex to visit him. Even before throw him into care home, they'd lock him in the house all goto work,  not let him out, no leave him keys. His ex can only visit standing outside the house.

i think this topic is getting out of hand.. is there's a slight racism in here..

U all wanna complaint abt prices..?? why dun y'all go down to 313 somerset foodcourt.. chinese chicken rice. i am a chinese myself.. went there once and once only.. i was charged for a regular plate of chicken rice at S$12.00 when the same amount of food at yishun central cost me S$4.50.. thereafter, lesson learn.. once bitten, twice shy. never go eat there again..

Yishun again.. blk 600+ near safra & ktph, hey the coffeeshops within that district does served good wallet friendly prices if u ask me. food is ok, pretty standard. decent hawker food, good enough to satisfied a hunger pang.

I am in the fnb industry.. and let me tell u what folks.. rental is killing the hawkers' businesses everywhere. They have to factor in rental, labor costs, blah blah blah.. different hawker centers different landlords, different rental rates. so put urselves in their shoes.

If you buy the food one time.. u find it expensive.. go elsewhere.. i ate at the coffeeshops at sembawang mrt stations.. the cheap chicken rice stall together with the economical food stall. I also ate at 24hrs teh tarik at khatib.. all ran by muslim.. good food, reasonable prices.. amk, ave 6 area.. plenty of good cheap coffeeshops to dine in. esp. opp the yck community center area.

u think toa payoh hawker food is expensive..?? go into bradell, the industrial area.. hey they have some decent hawker stalls operating within those industrial building.. food is decent, prices are ok too.

u comparing town area hawker places..?? royal sq..?? u already know u're in a town area right, the rental there ain't cheap. the hawkers marked up their food prices 3-4 times compared to the ones in the neighborhood area.

u want to talk abt town area.. fine.. somerset, orchard road, the building where COURTS is situated at.. there's a coffeeshop there in the basement of the building and served really good food at wallet friendly prices.. further examples..?? orchard tower basement level.. plenty of coffeeshops inside with good food.. wallet friendly prices. 

U folks just got to know where to eat.

if u talk abt fast food chains.. fine.. i always go for the cheapest set meals i can get at macdonald. so quite whining & complaining. 

And i believe u folks also wine & dine at some other restaurants too, on & off, or on special family occassions..and u folks ever complain abt the prices u paid..??

And i believe some of u buy those over hyped bubble tea shit.. / starbucks.. com' on.. u're paying for the brand & labelling if u know it right, so dun y'all go act dumb asses on me. if u folks can pay S$6.00 - S$7.00 for a cup of beverage from those joints.. why complaint over a plate of food someone worked so hard for, to cook for it & plated it & served it to u.. think abt that.

so dun say it is a mly hawker / chinese hawler / indian hawker.. racism is very real in s'pore. so let's not rip the band aid off ok.

and if u want to talk abt cheap food.. hey, on ur day off folks, go to yishun ring road, blk 618, famous carrot cake stall there. S$4.50 a plate.. people are willing to wait for 1hr for that indulgence.. the mly food stall that operates only in the morning serves great muslim breakfast. The purest comfort memorial food to me. the mixed veg & rice stall there.. prices are quite decent.. ate there numerous times. 

And one more thing... if i am a hawker.. i see a macik / pacik.. of cos' i'll charge them slightly cheaper.. it's not because they're the merdeka generations / silver folks.. simply knowing if they ain't working.. out of charitable hearts.. i dun mind doing a small loss by making old folks happier.. and comparing to executives who comes to my  stall, irregardless of color / nationalities.. u can wear branded clothes, carry branded wallet / wear branded watches.. y'all will pay the prices that i state on the board. 

6 hours ago, Since u r here said:

honestly, Zac

they are more expensive, cos it takes time to prep and to stew the beef and mutton till tender
more herbs and ingredients into it

Well.. Good food is worth to be found and it is worth every penny of it. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The most expensive malay nasi padang is at Ion orchard food opera. I still remember once I had a late lunch there at the opera foodcourt I order one top side of the chicken thigh berlado, mixed veg and stir fied chilli crispy dried fish with asam pedas cause me $16 I was shocked deep down in me. Despite of being expensive the taste wasn't that great. From that moment I never had malay nasi padang at town area.

On 10/26/2020 at 7:19 PM, fetish72 said:

The most expensive malay nasi padang is at Ion orchard food opera. I still remember once I had a late lunch there at the opera foodcourt I order one top side of the chicken thigh berlado, mixed veg and stir fied chilli crispy dried fish with asam pedas cause me $16 I was shocked deep down in me. Despite of being expensive the taste wasn't that great. From that moment I never had malay nasi padang at town area.

As a Nasi Padang lover, I share same experience with the food court at Ion Orchard. Unfortunately, had my parents on visit and spend a fortune on the food at this stall.

The same is for the Malay stall at Marina Bay Sands Shopes food court.The one at the end nearing the helix bridge  But the food is better at that place, at least doesn't leave you with a sad face, but be prepared to pay on the high end like S$3 for each vegetable and S$8 for a curry chicken peace. MBS must be ripping the stalls off with high rental...

That food court at ION I never liked anyway because the design makes it look so dark deep somewhere inside the mall...

Probably one good Nasi Padang is at the junction of Arab Street to Bussorah Street at Kampong Glam Cafe. At least they have some good range of vegetables (but haven't been there since the lockdown can hope the two Malay ladies still running the kitchen. Too many of the nasi padang stalls mostly just have plenty of meat dishes but no vegetable options.

Many Malay stalls at food courts or hawkers are disappearing. There was mostly always one at most food courts in shopping malls but past 3 years, seems the generation running out of business and kids or others not taking up any such stalls. Like Westmall doesn't have Malay food any longer. Often it is replaced with these BBQ chicken make it look like it is Indonesian food stalls.

Best Nasi Padang you still find around Medan and at one stretch of Jalan HR Juanda in Jakarta. (Never had a chance to go to the real "Padang" in Sumatra)...

For Malaysia: They mostly splash a little bit too much of "pedas" as they tend to throw too much of chili padi into everything and at the end all tastes the same. (Goes for a lot of food in Malaysia, maybe even for the politics too. ha ha... ). Just take the Nasi Padang at the KLCC RASA selera food court on top of one Ampang wing. You need some soy bean drink to cool down the chili...

Well in Malaysia they have a lot of different state. Each of individual state have they have their own way of doing and preparing the dishes.  Basically Nasi Padang is come from Indonesia where started from and with the settler start to migrate to part of Malaysia and Singapore this where the influence come in they mix up the spice to what they have at that time to make a dish. Nasi Padang I can say is a bit expensive due to the ingredient like they used all the spice mixture. Partly to achieve a good taste is not easy you need to the right mixture and combination of spice once all blend in this is the crucial part the cooking time. They need to sautee the the ingredient well nice and fragrance. This not easy it takes a lot of times consuming and tiring work. The process alone takes time to get ready that why nasi padang a bit expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.