Male HQ

My Work Life Growing Pain (Merged all post from the same TS)

Guest finally

Guest finally

I have a colleague keep on dropping heavy object on the floor. one day like usual I help him pick up the heavy object, I strain my back. I took mc for 2 days. when I came back to work, my senior ask me the details of the incident. He and another colleague also like wondering why he always keeps on dropping the heavy object so frequently. My senior said he will ask the colleague but I said don't cause last times I also drop the heavy object before but less frequently as I improved. but I think he told my supervisor. and my supervisor said kind of sarcastically (maybe I'm too sensitive) that next time call him cause he doesn't mind to help. 

I kind of take this into my heart as though I mind to help and complaining through my senior. the problem is not whether mind or not mind but dropping the heavy object too frequently. not just for us who will have ergonomic hazard but the object itself is an important experiment. but of course, this only came to my mind afterward. 

but what I understand is that this is the real working world. sometimes we have to absorb alot of this kind of remarks. as Dale Carnegie said, even you win an argument, you are losing actually. 

Guest finally
22 minutes ago, JTM said:

Don’t understand 

the complicated working world. sometimes have to turn a deaf ear and nod yes no matter how unhappy we are cause they are the boss and we are their subordinates. have to let our ego go. let them win the argument. Just like what Dale Carnegie and Show Lo said. as long as we get our salary.

Learn to turn deaf.

Only listen selectively to the right things.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest finally

because I need to explain how I strain my back. Why the supervisor attitude change before and after I took MC. why the heavy object (metaphor) is so important. What I did and said after I came back from MC leading to the change of behavior. and how I finally enlighten that even if manage to say those words to him (words that If I let out from my heart I will feel better and win the argument), I'm still at loss. He's the boss and always right and I'm his staff always nod yes. just have to swallow my pride.

Guest finally
3 minutes ago, Ironrod said:

If you know u have a bad back, pls don't kpo and help others causing yourself taking 2 days MC. If i were the boss, i would think you are incompetent and trust me i will say it in your face.

at first I didn't want to see doctor. like last time I will just endure it no matter how pain it is or take leave. from my history, I only take 1-2 days MC per year. and there was gossip around me that I always blackface when other ppl always take MC and that was another story. and even my supervisor that encourage me to take mc if I have to when I inform him I go to see doctor. 

2 reasons why I decided to take MC:

1. to let the staff know that don't take us for granted that everytime you drop it there will be someone to help you carry it back. Have to be extra careful next time.

2. very angry that morning, they can so relax working with not much work in their level but when I came down after hardwork still ordering me to do this and that while they can help in that morning knowing there is short of manpower because someone is on MC. 

4 minutes ago, Guest finally said:

at first I didn't want to see doctor. like last time I will just endure it no matter how pain it is or take leave. from my history, I only take 1-2 days MC per year. and there was gossip around me that I always blackface when other ppl always take MC and that was another story. and even my supervisor that encourage me to take mc if I have to when I inform him I go to see doctor. 

2 reasons why I decided to take MC:

1. to let the staff know that don't take us for granted that everytime you drop it there will be someone to help you carry it back. Have to be extra careful next time.

2. very angry that morning, they can so relax working with not much work in their level but when I came down after hardwork still ordering me to do this and that while they can help in that morning knowing there is short of manpower because someone is on MC. 

Its good that you gave them the silent strike. 

More importantly learn to take care of yourself. Your own body. Learn how to lift things the correct way and careful of your back and joints. 

Guest finally
4 minutes ago, Kimochi said:

Its good that you gave them the silent strike. 

More importantly learn to take care of yourself. Your own body. Learn how to lift things the correct way and careful of your back and joints. 

Thank you. I think I'm getting old already. The old me will be very "kan bu kai" with this remarks from my supervisor. although I still feel a bit but much much lesser (with the finally understand how the working world is). Like what other ppl said, have to turn a deaf ear and do what I think is right. time will prove everything. If keep on dropping like that, sure one day something big will happen. 

Just now, Guest finally said:

Thank you. I think I'm getting old already. The old me will be very "kan bu kai" with this remarks from my supervisor. although I still feel a bit but much much lesser (with the finally understand how the working world is). Like what other ppl said, have to turn a deaf ear and do what I think is right. time will prove everything. If keep on dropping like that, sure one day something big will happen. 

Let it happen then. They deserve it. 

Guest finally
22 minutes ago, Kimochi said:

Let it happen then. They deserve it. 

I feel like after watching Yanxi in the palace,  I have set Wei Ying Luo as my role model. sometimes I will think, Wei Ying Luo will sure do like that so there is nothing wrong for me to do/think like that. No wonder China wants to ban it. 

Guest Think positive
10 hours ago, Ironrod said:

If you know u have a bad back, pls don't kpo and help others causing yourself taking 2 days MC. If i were the boss, i would think you are incompetent and trust me i will say it in your face.

Be kind. U are so negative.

Workplace incidents are reportable and the lack of proper information provided in your response makes it difficult for people to figure out how to reduce the risk of recurrence. Also, reporting something wrong at the workplace is nothing wrong, and taking MC is also not wrong (unless you are feigning). To make life easier for everyone, why don't you get all of them together and discuss about it? It may feel awkward initially but as opinions are shared everyone will feel better eventually 

9 hours ago, FattChoy said:

I wish GM would stop allowing Guests to create topics.  They've been very pitiful lately.  

Had always been.  Look at the number of trolling topics started by guests. But then again, we need guests to make the forum more lively, the reason why guests are allowed to start topics.  Just bear in mind to take things with a pinch of salt.  

Don't read and response to guests' post

On 2/27/2019 at 7:22 PM, Guest finally said:

I have a colleague keep on dropping heavy object on the floor. one day like usual I help him pick up the heavy object, I strain my back. I took mc for 2 days. when I came back to work, my senior ask me the details of the incident. He and another colleague also like wondering why he always keeps on dropping the heavy object so frequently. My senior said he will ask the colleague but I said don't cause last times I also drop the heavy object before but less frequently as I improved. but I think he told my supervisor. and my supervisor said kind of sarcastically (maybe I'm too sensitive) that next time call him cause he doesn't mind to help. 

I kind of take this into my heart as though I mind to help and complaining through my senior. the problem is not whether mind or not mind but dropping the heavy object too frequently. not just for us who will have ergonomic hazard but the object itself is an important experiment. but of course, this only came to my mind afterward. 

but what I understand is that this is the real working world. sometimes we have to absorb alot of this kind of remarks. as Dale Carnegie said, even you win an argument, you are losing actually. 

I'm not really capturing the part of how you have to 'absorb' this kind of remark, but if your supervisor told you to call him next time to help, I don't really feel that he is a toxic person.

My idea of toxic people at work are like this:

- you get called stupid for choosing to help pick up the heavy object

- even if you said you want to help, you get told that next time you should wait for your supervisor or senior to instruct you

- your senior or supervisor claims all the credit for carrying the heavy object and you get scolded publicly for dropping the heavy object often

- your senior escalates you if you don't do something

- your senior complains about you if you take leave or go on MC, or maybe even a few minutes late for work or come back from lunch

Guest Finally
8 hours ago, repressednerd said:

I'm not really capturing the part of how you have to 'absorb' this kind of remark, but if your supervisor told you to call him next time to help, I don't really feel that he is a toxic person.

My idea of toxic people at work are like this:

- you get called stupid for choosing to help pick up the heavy object

- even if you said you want to help, you get told that next time you should wait for your supervisor or senior to instruct you

- your senior or supervisor claims all the credit for carrying the heavy object and you get scolded publicly for dropping the heavy object often

- your senior escalates you if you don't do something

- your senior complains about you if you take leave or go on MC, or maybe even a few minutes late for work or come back from lunch

His sudden change of behavior and the whole point of the conversation becomes clear when he said he doesnt mind to help. Maybe im sensitive as fuck

Guest The Real World

You have yet to experience the real world.  Your short encounterance is nothing to brood about.  

The real world involved hand-handedness politicking, back-stabbing ruthlessness, and than get out of my uncaring elitist face,  unjustified as they were you are still fired with no compensation, no backing, you die your own business and nobody care if you have infants or aged parents to feed or house to pay and nobody is going to owe you a living to make you happy and even then, it was just scratching the surface of the skin. Were you even there yet?

Guest Guest

To be honest I don't even know what this thread is about?

Lifting heavy items at work? helping colleagues to avoid lifting heavy items at work alone?

Or is it a metaphor for something?

What heavy things can you drop at an office?

Would factory workers write threads like you do?

Is it just boredom that you took up something here.

And why need to bring up this Dale Carnegie?

Are you working at his school in Singapore and try to promote the courses from that school. I find it quite obvious that you mention this name like a guru at every response.

After re-reading the whole thing again, I'd like attempt another reply.  This time more seriously. 

First of all, find out if your current working condition (which involves heavy lifting) violates any health and safety policy in a workplace.  This can be done by looking at your company's work manual and checking with your country's health and safety legislation when it comes to work. For example, one of the reasons flight baggages have weight limits is to prevent the crew from hurting themselves when lifting these baggages. 

If the answer is yes (which I suspect is the case, since you're injured by lifting it), then perhaps you need to alert your supervisor and colleague that they should reduce the size of each load that they are lifting.

If the answer is no, use your judgement to see if your colleague is being a lanjiao lang by repeatedly dropping things while at work. Sometimes these people exist.

If it's not too heavy, then perhaps raise this with the supervisor.  Ask them how this could be improved for the health and safety of you and your colleagues.  Perhaps the supervisor can show you the correct way of doing it.  (Ask him to show how to lift the heaviest one).

In my first job, the first thing my manager said to me was "Safety First".

Finally try to find a job which DOESN'T requires a lot of physical labour.   Physical jobs either don't pay that well or the jobs will be replaced by machines in the near future.

Regards.

Edited by FattChoy

Guest Finally
1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

To be honest I don't even know what this thread is about?

Lifting heavy items at work? helping colleagues to avoid lifting heavy items at work alone?

Or is it a metaphor for something?

What heavy things can you drop at an office?

Would factory workers write threads like you do?

Is it just boredom that you took up something here.

And why need to bring up this Dale Carnegie?

Are you working at his school in Singapore and try to promote the courses from that school. I find it quite obvious that you mention this name like a guru at every response.

I did mention Show Lo also. I'm trying to promote him so that you guys would join his fan club. 

My friend gave me his book 'How to win friends and influence people' as a birthday/farewell gift. It left a very deep impression in me. 

Yes it is a metaphor. Because of confidentiality and the nature of our work. 

What I'm experiencing might be just scratching the surface only but I feel like seeing the light after being kept in a dark room. 

Guest Finally
7 minutes ago, FattChoy said:

After re-reading the whole thing again, I'd like attempt another reply.  This time more seriously. 

First of all, find out if your current working condition (which involves heavy lifting) violates any health and safety policy in a workplace.  This can be done by  looking at your company's work manual and checking with your country's health and safety legislation when it comes to work. For example, one of the reasons flight baggages have weight limits is to prevent the crew from hurting themselves when lifting these baggages. 

If the answer is yes (which I suspect is the case, since you're injured by lifting it), then perhaps you need to alert your supervisor and colleague that they should reduce the size of each load that they are lifting.

If the answer is no, use your judgement to see if your colleague is being a lanjiao lang by repeatedly dropping things while at work. Sometimes these people exist.

If it's not too heavy, then perhaps raise this with the supervisor.   

In my first job, the first thing my manager said to me was "Safety First".

Finally try to find a job which requires a lot of physical labour.   They either don't pay that we'll or the job will be replaced by machines in the near future.

My supervisor told me today that he wanted me to consider switching between me and him. He said that he trusted me. And the most happiest part is that he said the other 2 colleagues is another bastards. I'm glad that he awares that. 

But sometimes, this kind of dirty job also demand less mental exhaustion apart from the political things. 

9 minutes ago, Guest Finally said:

My supervisor told me today that he wanted me to consider switching between me and him. He said that he trusted me. And the most happiest part is that he said the other 2 colleagues is another bastards. I'm glad that he awares that. 

But sometimes, this kind of dirty job also demand less mental exhaustion apart from the political things. 

I don't think this addresses the issue.  Your supervisor is just laterally transferring the problem from your colleague to, you guessed it ----> YOU.  Your supervisor doesn't care who does the job as long as the job gets done.  

The takeaway learning point I'd like to tell you about real life is, 'Don't depend on other people to take care of you and your body.'  You need to check with the policies and laws and find out what it says.  Otherwise, who knows.... you might just be the ignorant So-Hai being taken advantage off for months and years to come.

Edited by FattChoy

Guest Finally
1 hour ago, FattChoy said:

I don't think this addresses the issue.  Your supervisor is just laterally transferring the problem from your colleague to, you guessed it ----> YOU.  Your supervisor doesn't care who does the job as long as the job gets done.  

The takeaway learning point I'd like to tell you about real life is, 'Don't depend on other people to take care of you and your body.'  You need to check with the policies and laws and find out what it says.  Otherwise, who knows.... you might just be the ignorant So-Hai being taken advantage off for months and years to come.

Actually this is the 2nd time swapping with him when he took forever to complete one of the task before we switched our task, before our old supervisor left. Haiz I was actually taking back my old task. 

Guest Finally

I was thinking to release some of my other duties as part of the swapping deals. How should I say it?  Boss I can agreed with the swap but I want to be discharged from this duty? The term discharged is it correct? I check with dictionary, discharge means"to do"?

Guest Finally

To be honest, this supervisor is so so much better than our old supervisor. The new supervisor will work on the ground with us when there is shortage of manpower and really do what a supervisor would do. Our old supervisor only care about his smoking break n coffee. Wondering what he is doing all the while. And thats why cause alot of politic inside as he favours certain old staff n listen those staff which is another politic stirrer who dont work one. Thats why Im glad now to listen from our new supervisor that he knows certain staff are bastards n certain staff are smart in avoiding doing work. I hope I can ear drop to hear more but alas i need to start my work.

Guest Finally

Is just that all my sweat of doing my current task will be gone. N need to clean up his shit. N also adjust back to new or maybe old environment/schedule/habits. 

Guest Finally

Have to be very super extra careful and then we can avoid dropping the object. Just like every other job also, have to be careful to avoid the same mistake. 

Guest Guest Guest

I think Guest Finally is just fooling us with some made up story here.

He is an accountant and the heavy lifting is just an example that his accounting colleague always does some errors in the data entry and never finishes the accounting work in time.

Now, he is transferred to the sales department and only needs to write the invoices... and complete some forms for payments made and chasing outstanding payments.

Just think smart: Which heavy lifting items guy will be sent to a training at Dale Carnegie?

The metaphor is:

Never pick up the shit from others.

42 minutes ago, Guest Guest Guest said:

He is an accountant and the heavy lifting is just an example that his accounting colleague always does some errors in the data entry and never finishes the accounting work in time.

Now, he is transferred to the sales department and only needs to write the invoices... and complete some forms for payments made and chasing outstanding payments.

Just think smart: Which heavy lifting items guy will be sent to a training at Dale Carnegie?

The metaphor is:

Good for you that you've psychic powers which can see through the supposed stories that the TS started.

Whether it's real or not, my suggested actions and algorithm can also be viewed metaphorically.   

Understand what's causing your colleague to trip up (whether it's from being overloaded with work or poor performance) ---> Understand your rights and job responsibilities as per your employment contract ---> Stand up for your rights and feedback to your superior on the current condition and what needs to be improved.

Job related stress is the number 1 cause of depression in adults.  What causes it-- two of the main factors are understaffing/overloading an employee with work; and hiring of poorly qualified people who can't execute the tasks - hence requiring other staff to pick up the slack.  A poor manager won't think twice making one person do the work of two or hiring cheaper less than qualified staff which can keep the salary cost down.  They are only concerned about their kpi and employee well being is usually not high on the list of the priorities. 

Yes, you can avoid picking shit up from your colleagues.  But working means you sell time for money and you're still your boss's bitch.  It's just how the world works.  

Edited by FattChoy

Guest Finally
38 minutes ago, Guest Guest Guest said:

The metaphor is:

I really hate him but have to pretend otherwise to be pro. So I just talk less with him. Usually one words ot two. He is damn lazy chap. 8.30 working hour but 9 smthg only start to work after smoking first. Work also slow slow. And then because of different shift when the rest go back already because of earlier shift, he has half an hr sitting doing nothing. But still lazy as fuck though already earn half an hr doing nothing. 

Guest Finally
46 minutes ago, Guest Guest Guest said:

The metaphor is:

The task i'm doing currently also not easy but i think he will be assigned to the smaller part. There are cons n pros also. Thats why thinking to release some of my other duties to him as part of the swapping deals since he's so free. Take it as and opportunity behind every problems as the old wise saying (note: see I didnt quote wisdom from Dale Carnegie only)

Im just reading the book only lah. 

Guest Guest
36 minutes ago, FattChoy said:

Good for you that you've psychic powers which can see through the supposed stories that the TS started.

Whether it's real or not, my suggested actions and algorithm can also be viewed metaphorically.   

Understand what's causing your colleague to trip up (whether it's from being overloaded with work or poor performance) ---> Understand your rights and job responsibilities as per your employment contract ---> Stand up for your rights and feedback to your superior on the current condition and what needs to be improved.

Job related stress is the number 1 cause of depression in adults.  What causes it-- two of the main factors are understaffing/overloading an employee with work; and hiring of poorly qualified people who can't execute the tasks - hence requiring other staff to pick up the slack.  A poor manager won't think twice making one person do the work of two or hiring cheaper less than qualified staff which can keep the salary cost down.  They are only concerned about their kpi and employee well being is usually not high on the list of the priorities. 

Yes, you can avoid picking shit up from your colleagues.  But working means you sell time for money and you're still your boss's bitch.  It's just how the world works.  

but look Guest Finally is talking so much to himself. I think he could talk into a mirror too.

Guest Finally
42 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

but look Guest Finally is talking so much to himself. I think he could talk into a mirror too.

I dun have someone to talk to or express myself mah. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest advice

I think I'm very kan chiong spider. Always work very fast trying to clear the workload. but this kind of making the other in the team very stressful and unhappy. And whenever I see some people just sit down and playing with the phone but didn't help or take a very long time to complete his task, I feel unhappy. Should I just follow their work culture instead of becoming an eyesore. but as long as I remember when I first joined the company, they are the one who said I slow, inefficient and check my time. I didn't know how I become now the opposite, become the hardworking worker. I hate that feeling of becoming the bad people like bullying them to do work. Should I stick back to do what I think is right or should I just follow their work culture?

Guest disclosed yourself

just go on and give them a good example. You can critic them when doing private things but don't tease them if slower.

--------------------------------------------------------

Te kuku o te manawa.

Guest Advice
7 minutes ago, Guest disclosed yourself said:

just go on and give them a good example. You can critic them when doing private things but don't tease them if slower.

--------------------------------------------------------

Te kuku o te manawa.

I got so many negative energy in my head right now. I feel so unhappy like I'm a forcing or bullying them to do work. Yet I feel that work is still work n we are being paid for it. Sometimes i feel am i too hardworking? did i do the wrong things? What happen if i do the opposite right now? Will they say or treat me differently? The rebellious me wanted to do the opposite to have them feel what I'm feeling right now just like the beginning when i first started. To let them have a taste of their own words. Last time i slow you say I slow. I fast already say diffetently. Now i wanted to do the opposite to see what they are saying. Do you think i should?

Guest Advice
4 hours ago, Kimochi said:

Is it really a teamwork? If it is tell them its called teamwork, And not solowork

I feel like now why should I work that hard for? Why should I worry to clear as much n as fast as possible? And become the bad people. I should just work relax relax. Not my problem if cannot clear there is always tomorrow. Not that I own the company. From now on that should be d way.

16 hours ago, Guest advice said:

I think I'm very kan chiong spider. Always work very fast trying to clear the workload. but this kind of making the other in the team very stressful and unhappy. And whenever I see some people just sit down and playing with the phone but didn't help or take a very long time to complete his task, I feel unhappy. Should I just follow their work culture instead of becoming an eyesore. but as long as I remember when I first joined the company, they are the one who said I slow, inefficient and check my time. I didn't know how I become now the opposite, become the hardworking worker. I hate that feeling of becoming the bad people like bullying them to do work. Should I stick back to do what I think is right or should I just follow their work culture?

You are an adult.  They are your colleagues .  This type of things you managed yourself lah , how sound can my advice be , if we dont even know your colleagues, your office culture but just by listening to your story. 

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know who am I already. I feel like everyone is hating me. I feel like a grumpy old man. Everyone is scared of me. At first, I don't care but now I feel like hating myself too. I don't know what I'm doing now is it good or bad already. I really have tone down and slow down a lot to be on the same page with the rest. I still have the urge to rush things but really control myself not to. but they start to work a bit harder now scared that I would be angry. Is it a good thing or not? I start to feel bad for them. Why so "chiong" for what in the first place. but that's really my working style. I'm not good with words. sometimes I might be silent and not talking but not my style to talk while working. Now they feel like being forced to work and looks tired. haiz. 

• G_M changed the title to My Work Life Growing Pain (Merged all post from the same TS)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.