Male HQ

Nicholas Lim Scandal Saga (compiled)

Guest scandal

Guest life's lessons
4 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

You should not be shocked at all.  In this gay forum we speak of people's sexuality with little reservations.  Of some we speak good, of others we speak bad.

If we speak bad about Monica it is because she seems to deserve it by the way she is acting.

Why people speak good about Jesus Christ and bad about Adolph Hitler?   Isn't this discrimination?

And if we use sexual orientation to speak bad about her,  she is the one who is trying to make the issue as SEXUAL as possible.  She is the one who wants to make a SEXUAL CRIME out of what was a petty stupid voyeurism,  something deserving of a reprimand, not a sentence.

But isn't that what we always hate about straight people to call us "gay" and say nasty things about us being gay? There is a thread just nearby on asking what to do when confronted with homophobic comments.

I fail to see the logic to brand her as "lesbian" and to pin her down on her sexual preference (which we don't even know).

And that is the other point:

Do we like it when people bitch behind our back wondering whether we might be gay or not.

These gay guys here are plainly doing the same with Monica B.

Plus we are the best to know that not every gay or lesbian has the same traits, we are very different and not much other than even straight people (only our sexual orientation is different).

And if she is a lesbian? Would it make any difference on her personality?

It is better to critic her on her behaviour and not on her sexual orientation (which we don't even know).

She is a troublesome girl, unfortunately, I m not a student otherwise I would have attended the upcoming Open Discussion on this matter and I would have clearly spoken out against her that she had no right to blameshame Lim after the matter was settled and that she is not doing young people a favour by increasing the punishment for any such acts.

I would still talk for giving any "culprit" a second chance, even for sexual voyeurism acts and would support this strategy of an educational institution (as long as serious line had not been crossed (touching, sexual advances etc ).

Girls are not innocent either, maybe just less active or with fewer amount of cases, but there have been stories of girls spying on the guys showering too. And I am very sure there had been such pranks and even video recordings at the local universities.

4 minutes ago, Guest life's lessons said:

But isn't that what we always hate about straight people to call us "gay" and say nasty things about us being gay? There is a thread just nearby on asking what to do when confronted with homophobic comments.

I fail to see the logic to brand her as "lesbian" and to pin her down on her sexual preference (which we don't even know).

And that is the other point:

Do we like it when people bitch behind our back wondering whether we might be gay or not.

These gay guys here are plainly doing the same with Monica B.

Plus we are the best to know that not every gay or lesbian has the same traits, we are very different and not much other than even straight people (only our sexual orientation is different).

And if she is a lesbian? Would it make any difference on her personality?

It is better to critic her on her behaviour and not on her sexual orientation (which we don't even know).

She is a troublesome girl, unfortunately, I m not a student otherwise I would have attended the upcoming Open Discussion on this matter and I would have clearly spoken out against her that she had no right to blameshame Lim after the matter was settled and that she is not doing young people a favour by increasing the punishment for any such acts.

I would still talk for giving any "culprit" a second chance, even for sexual voyeurism acts and would support this strategy of an educational institution (as long as serious line had not been crossed (touching, sexual advances etc ).

Girls are not innocent either, maybe just less active or with fewer amount of cases, but there have been stories of girls spying on the guys showering too. And I am very sure there had been such pranks and even video recordings at the local universities.

You are perfectly justified in your criticism of making innuendos about the sexuality of a girl (or boy).  But she is not just ANY girl.

Like others,  I am a helpless spectator of the ugly attack of this girl against this guy who does not deserve it.  I don't want to go as far as wishing her some disgrace that would educate her in the need to be kind and lenient.  Instead I relieve my frustration enjoying the way she is dragged through the mud here.  This won't cause her any damage (unless she opens this forum).   If WE could make ourselves heard in the media,  we would not speak of her possible deviant nature but of the good arguments you mentioned.

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Guest Huha said:

I guess the intention does count whether he succeeded or not. Not does I support any parties. NUS said the punishment is consistent with how they handle its previous cases.

Exactly... Monica's mother claimed that Monica is not doing this for "revenge", so why didn't Monica Baey kick up a huge fuss in all those previous cases? She is out to draw blood for her own personal need for vengeance, because she is nothing more than a vindictive bitch trying to masquerade herself as some heroine trying to do justice for the greater good. This is what happens when there are people like the investigation officer and @doncoin who go all out to urge people to "do something about it" when they are unhappy about things. 

55 minutes ago, Guest life's lessons said:

I think this is not correct from the facts disclosed at the media. It seems that he made a picture of her from below the shower curtain. The above statement is speculation and seems wrong.

TodayOnline: Published 22 April, 2019

Undergraduate Nicholas Lim was suspended from NUS for a semester following his offence in November last year, where he filmed fellow student Monica Baey while she was showering at Eusoff Hall, a residence hall on campus.

And even if not, the fact that he went into various female toilets and female shower places at NUS, he intruded into the "female only" section.

Monica Baey didn't see him on the spot but only discovered it was him after she ran through CCTV recordings from NUS some days later, when she made a report of the incident.

If you are debating the fact whether what he did was right or wrong, then definitely I am not on his side.  But if you will to ask whether he physically saw her showering, then the answer is no.  The phone was placed under the partition of the cubicle and not he climbing up to the top to film the showering.  He confessed to his gf on the same night who then spoke to the victim to apologise. 

1 hour ago, Guest Huha said:

I guess the intention does count whether he succeeded or not. Not does I support any parties. NUS said the punishment is consistent with how they handle its previous cases.

The intention is to film the showering for later self gratification.  So he did not succeed in his intention. There are other mitigating factors, like was it the first time or a repeat offender, did he upload the video and how many other such videos in his phone, etc.  That's why some previous offenders were fined or jailed. 

Don't read and response to guests' post

Guest life's lessons
8 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

You are perfectly justified in your criticism of making innuendos about the sexuality of a girl (or boy).  But she is not just ANY girl.

Like others,  I am a helpless spectator of the ugly attack of this girl against this guy who does not deserve it.  I don't want to go as far as wishing her some disgrace that would educate her in the need to be kind and lenient.  Instead I relieve my frustration enjoying the way she is dragged through the mud here.  This won't cause her any damage (unless she opens this forum).   If WE could make ourselves heard in the media,  we would not speak of her possible deviant nature but of the good arguments you mentioned.

Just to add: The new committee looking into changes to the way to treat such issues in future at NUS has 3 ladies against 1 guy. I m not sure on the representative of the Student Union.

It is very easy for me to predict the outcome of their discussions.

Plus: as the Education Minister has given a clear "direction". Just wonder what area to discuss the committee still has? [He has to respect the independence of NUS]

I would recommend all students here to participate and to write in to the Committee on their point of view.

Important is as well that such students who publish personal details of culprits should receive a warning too.

Mr Ong said in his Facebook post that he has spoken to Professor Tan Eng Chye, president of NUS, to convey his concerns. “I am confident NUS’ review will result in a more robust process and stricter framework. The NUS board and president are seized with this matter, and are determined to put a stop to such unacceptable behaviour on campus.”

Other universities are coming in to the topic too:

SINGAPORE: Singapore Management University (SMU) and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) are taking steps to better protect students from sexual misconduct and harassment on campus.

Both universities have ongoing reviews of their disciplinary framework, with SMU president Lily Kong saying on Wednesday (Apr 24) that the review will consider international best practices. 

Apart from reviewing its disciplinary framework, NTU said it is starting a new online module on anti-harassment in July for all freshmen and student organisers of transition and orientation programmes.

The module, which was designed in consultation with student leaders, includes a video and information on what constitutes harassment, how to respond in such cases and where to seek help. 

Guest life's lessons

Your Say: NUS peeping tom case becoming example of ‘trial by social media’, sets ‘dangerous precedent’

By Tanaya Shukre

Published 24 April, 2019, todayOnline

I refer to the recent peeping tom case at the National University of Singapore (NUS). As a female alumnus of NUS, I have followed the case in the news and can empathise with Miss Monica Baey's predicament.

She naturally feels upset and seems frustrated with the punishment handed to the offender, deeming it inadequate.  

After she posted about the events on her Instagram account, it triggered a public outcry, leading to Education Minister Ong Ye Kung, NUS president Tan Eng Chye, and various committee bodies and senior management from the university weighing in on the matter.

So much so that even the Singapore Police Force has to justify their rationale in deciding the form of punishment for the offender, going to the extent of publicly clarifying his parents' background and professions.

In my opinion, this case has become a classic example of "trial by social media", where many people enter the fray, without being completely privy to the facts of the case, and dictate to the authorities how they should have done their job.

And it could set a dangerous precedent in Singapore where anyone with a grievance can turn into a Shylock and demand their "pound of flesh" by merely complaining on social media.

As an educated and compassionate society, we owe it to both the victim and the offender, to allow the authorities the space to carry out investigations on their part, and arrive at a fair judgment without getting carried away by emotions.

I sincerely hope Miss Baey can receive the required support from the authorities, if she disagrees with the actions taken, without having to do so via social media. Furthermore, she should also be offered counselling to overcome this traumatic event in her life.  

Cockroach’s mom - being a parent herself, she should understand how Nichola’s parents will heartbroken and upset right now.

Her words will changed if she’s Nicholas’s mom.

I had seen many parents came crying and begging for a second chance when their child broke the law when I was a volunteer at MCD.

IMO, the wrong that Nicholas has done is not as great as those guys who design silly orientation games in order to accidentally touch those girls breast butt or cunt.

Much as he needs to be punished, I don't think he needs to have criminal records for this wrong doing.

Edited by fab

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

None of your opinions matter. Singapore penal code defines voyeurism as a criminal act. It does not matter if the victim is a bitch or if the perpetrator is a hunk. And it does not matter if this is a first time offence. Voyeurism is punishable by jail time.

If you morons think voyeurs should be allowed to do as they wish, go talk to your lawmakers. 

8 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

His intention was to get a film of her showering.  There is no evidence that he tried to upset her.  On the contrary, he went to great length to avoid being seen by her, and there is no evidence of an intention to harm her with doxxing.

Does it mean that I can do the same thing to get a film of somebody showering as long as the person did not notice/aware of being filmed and as long as it is for my personal viewing? As long as I have a great plan on how I can do it without anyone noticing, then it is not a crime anymore? is it like the minister's saying: can do but dun get caught?

7 hours ago, LeanMature said:

The intention is to film the showering for later self gratification.  So he did not succeed in his intention. There are other mitigating factors, like was it the first time or a repeat offender, did he upload the video and how many other such videos in his phone, etc.  That's why some previous offenders were fined or jailed. 

does it means that my intention is to kill you and I want to film the process of how I kill you for my weird psychopathic self-gratification but I fail. so I did not succeed in my intention. and it was my first time to kill somebody on blowing wind forum and I have never uploaded other such film before in my phone, so I should be given a lighter sentences like my blowing account to be suspended for 6 months and 12 months conditional warning?

Guest Guest
10 minutes ago, Guest huha said:

does it means that my intention is to kill you and I want to film the process of how I kill you for my weird psychopathic self-gratification but I fail. so I did not succeed in my intention. and it was my first time to kill somebody on blowing wind forum and I have never uploaded other such film before in my phone, so I should be given a lighter sentences like my blowing account to be suspended for 6 months and 12 months conditional warning?

Yes, in such a case, you will be given a lighter sentence compared to the case whereby you become successful in your weird psychopathic self-gratification. However, the penalty will still be harsher than that of a peeping tom case, eg hopefully 10 years in some mental prison, since there doesn't seem to be any hope of rehabilitation effective enough for you, as you still appear to be out for blood just like Monica Baey. 

Guest Guest
22 minutes ago, Guest huha said:

Does it mean that I can do the same thing to get a film of somebody showering as long as the person did not notice/aware of being filmed and as long as it is for my personal viewing? As long as I have a great plan on how I can do it without anyone noticing, then it is not a crime anymore? is it like the minister's saying: can do but dun get caught?

You will indeed be punished, just like how Nicholas Lim was punished. But it's just that his punishment did not satisfy your blood thirst enough. Furthermore, why are you making such a "huha" out of this case when you didn't complain about all the other previous cases?  

6 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Yes, in such a case, you will be given a lighter sentence compared to the case whereby you become successful in your weird psychopathic self-gratification. However, the penalty will still be harsher than that of a peeping tom case, eg hopefully 10 years in some mental prison, since there doesn't seem to be any hope of rehabilitation effective enough for you, as you still appear to be out for blood just like Monica Baey. 

2 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

You will indeed be punished, just like how Nicholas Lim was punished. But it's just that his punishment did not satisfy your blood thirst enough. Furthermore, why are you making such a "huha" out of this case when you didn't complain about all the other previous cases?  

Dun compare me with Monica Baey. You won't know how Nicholas Lim and Jacqueline Wong are feeling right now. But I know how they are feeling right now when the world is judging them on the social media right now.

Guest Guest
56 minutes ago, Carlofrcentral said:

None of your opinions matter. Singapore penal code defines voyeurism as a criminal act. It does not matter if the victim is a bitch or if the perpetrator is a hunk. And it does not matter if this is a first time offence. Voyeurism is punishable by jail time.

If you morons think voyeurs should be allowed to do as they wish, go talk to your lawmakers. 

If you are not happy with the punishment meted and you want to play God and see more bloodshed, go become a lawmaker yourself. Better still, go become the Minister of Law. Otherwise, your opinion doesn't matter too. 

Guest Guest
8 minutes ago, Guest huha said:

Dun compare me with Monica Baey. You won't know how Nicholas Lim and Jacqueline Wong are feeling right now. But I know how they are feeling right now when the world is judging them on the social media right now.

Yes, I dunno how Nicholas Lim and Jacquelin Wong (who is that anyway?) is feeling right now And I do not like the way the world is judging them on social media right now, which is exactly why I dislike people trying to add fuel to the media fire the way you did below, by implying that he got away without paying for the crime.

47 minutes ago, Guest huha said:

1 hour ago, Guest huha said:

55 minutes ago, Guest huha said:

Unless you spell them out,  your intentions are yours to keep.  How will a judicial system judge you by your intentions?  It judges by what you have done.  It can inquire you about your intentions, but will only know what you tell them.

There is really much more about attenuating, aggravating circumstances than what we probably want to know, and it is up to judges and lawyers to deal with these.

12 hours ago, LeanMature said:

Strictly speaking, he didn't see her shower at all nor even had the chance to view the recording on his phone, not to mention uploading it online.  He was confronted and caught on the spot.  Why made such a big hulala and die die want him to be expelled and jail ?

10 hours ago, Guest Huha said:

10 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

His intention was to get a film of her showering.  There is no evidence that he tried to upset her.  On the contrary, he went to great length to avoid being seen by her, and there is no evidence of an intention to harm her with doxxing.

I dunno how to multiquote on different pages. 

41 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Yes, I dunno how Nicholas Lim and Jacquelin Wong (who is that anyway?) is feeling right now And I do not like the way the world is judging them on social media right now, which is exactly why I dislike people trying to add fuel to the media fire the way you did below, by implying that he got away without paying for the crime.

you can read above

Guest hm hm

SINGAPORE: Crimes brought about by advances in technology such as voyeurism and “cyber flashing” will be deemed as offences should the Criminal Law Reform Bill be passed in Parliament.

The bill, which was read for the first time in Parliament on Monday (Feb 11), stated that the production, possession and distribution of voyeuristic recordings, regardless of the victim’s gender, will be criminalised. This follows recommendations from the Penal Code Review Committee (PCRC) submitted last August, and which the Government had accepted.

the intention topic was started because my point is whether you fail or succeed in filming, you still was taking a phone trying to film her showering. and I didn't say he got away with his crime as I mentioned NUS said their punishment is consistent with how they handle its previous cases. (no favouritism)

29 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Unless you spell them out,  your intentions are yours to keep.  How will a judicial system judge you by your intentions?  It judges by what you have done.  It can inquire you about your intentions, but will only know what you tell them.

There is really much more about attenuating, aggravating circumstances than what we probably want to know, and it is up to judges and lawyers to deal with these.

as I clarified in the above post, my point is whether you fail or succeed in doing something, you still are doing it.

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

If you are not happy with the punishment meted and you want to play God and see more bloodshed, go become a lawmaker yourself. Better still, go become the Minister of Law. Otherwise, your opinion doesn't matter too. 

I was not giving an opinion, i stated facts. When I said that you are a moron, that is also a fact.

1 hour ago, Carlofrcentral said:

I was not giving an opinion, i stated facts. When I said that you are a moron, that is also a fact.

Do u need to resort to names calling to prove your point?

The fact is the relevant authorities have already meted out the punishment for him. The one who doesn't like it, is u.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

IMO, what Nicholas did is wrong. He has been ‘disciplined’. Many ppl feel his punishment is too ‘light’ but that’s not his (Nicholas’)  fault. It’s another part of the equation. 

That gal (aka victim who got filmed) who posted her frustration in social media, I can understand her feeling at that time. However, she has failed to think about the consequences of her action. 

The reaction of the people on social media is the worst of all. Deplorable. That’s no different from cyber bullying! :thumbdown:

Edited by bluerunner
Edit

Guest Whatif
1 hour ago, bluerunner said:

IMO, what Nicholas did is wrong. He has been ‘disciplined’. Many ppl feel his punishment is too ‘light’ but that’s not his (Nicholas’)  fault. It’s another part of the equation. 

That gal (aka victim who got filmed) who posted her frustration in social media, I can understand her feeling at that time. However, she has failed to think about the consequences of her action. 

The reaction of the people on social media is the worst of all. Deplorable. That’s no different from cyber bullying! :thumbdown:

Even if there is no various social media platform in this century, people will still talk n gossip about it amongs their group of friends, within the four corner of their homes, family members, workplace (thats how I really heard abt it), between neighbours, communities and etc. With social media it is spread even faster. Cyber or non cyber bullying is still not nice. If it is just disscussion or simply kaypoh without extreme calling out names or cursing i feel it is alright. We can learn n englightened alot from the scandal, filter n take what it is good n throw the bad away. 

Guest Dumb straight guys

Seriously sometimes straight guys do so much just for the girls they like, it's ridiculous. What is so attractive about pussy and boobs lol?

• G_M changed the title to NUS student who was illegally filmed while showering
Guest Agreed
3 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

To die ???

He can perfectly recover from this incident.

Yes, agreed...he would not commit suicide. He still has support from his gf and friends around him. Judging by his Instagram pictures, before this incident, he was socially engaged, blessed with good looks and high self esteem. After a few years, nobody will talk about this anymore. Just look at actor Christopher Lee.

• G_M changed the title to Nicholas Lim Scandal Saga (compiled)
11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:
  11 hours ago, Guest huha said:

Kill me ? Getting serious huh. I think your intention is clearly to intimidate me.  Not sure if you will get 12 months conditional warning by Mod, though you hide as a guest. 

9 hours ago, Guest huha said:

the intention topic was started because my point is whether you fail or succeed in filming, you still was taking a phone trying to film her showering. and I didn't say he got away with his crime as I mentioned NUS said their punishment is consistent with how they handle its previous cases. (no favouritism)

Intention is one thing.  If you succeed, you can be guilty of murder. If not, you will be charged for attempted murder.  Punishment is different.

Guest life's lessons

The new laws on voyeurism are not yet enacted.

Article quite interesting on the proposed changes, in particular unwanted sending of your genitals.

Looks like too many peeping Tom incidents in Singapore recently.

From TODAYONLINE

Explainer: How the Criminal Law Reform Bill aims to fight crimes of the Internet age.

Published13 February, 2019

TREND #1: VOYEURISTIC ACTIVITY

There is a bustling market online for "upskirt" videos and photos but the current law neither acknowledges nor is adequate to address this phenomenon, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) and Ministry of Law (MinLaw) noted.

Instead, a patchwork of existing laws, such as those relating to insulting the modesty of a woman and the making of obscene films, have to be relied on to deal with various offences.

SINGAPORE — Think twice before sending out an unsolicited photo of your genitals. Under a set of proposed new laws, that act will soon be considered a crime.

The Criminal Law Reform Bill was introduced in Parliament on Monday (Feb 11), proposing amendments to Singapore’s Penal Code to ensure that it remains relevant in the Internet age and for years to come.

One section of the proposal relates to “emerging crime trends” that have been made possible — and become increasingly common — with technology, such as the voyeuristic recording of people in intimate moments and the distribution of someone’s intimate photos without his or her consent.

TODAY takes a closer look at how the proposed new laws aim to penalise emerging crime trends.

The proposed new laws will make observing or recording of a person — in circumstances where the person could reasonably expect privacy — a specific offence.

In such cases, the person in the recording is presumed not to have given consent to be recorded.

It will be up to the accused to prove that he had the person’s consent to make that recording.

The proposed laws will also criminalise the production, possession and distribution of voyeuristic recordings.

TREND #2: "REVENGE PORNOGRAPHY"

The Internet and smartphones have made it extremely easy for images to be created, uploaded and downloaded — but very difficult for such images to be removed.

This has become a problem for people who have found themselves the victims of hackers or malicious parties — sometimes vengeful ex-partners — who have gotten hold of their intimate images and uploaded them online.

This phenomenon is widely known as “revenge porn”, but MHA and MinLaw said they are of the view that this term is neither appropriate nor accurate.

“For the law to condemn a private and intimate image as obscene (as it currently does under Section 292(a) of the Penal Code) or ‘pornography’ may further insult and humiliate the person depicted in those images,” they said.

The Penal Code currently does not have a specific offence that criminalises the distribution of nude, semi-nude, or other sexual images without consent.

The proposed new laws will make distributing or threatening to distribute an intimate photo or video an offence.

They will also criminalise the possession and/or accessing of an intimate image or recording when the possession and/or access:

was without the consent of the person depicted
    will or is likely to cause humiliation, distress or alarm to the person depicted.

TREND #3: FLASHING

The existing law can be used to punish people who appear nude in public, or in private but in view of the public.

But there is no law to penalise those who send photos of their genitals to others, whether or not the recipients may want those images.

The proposed new laws will criminalise “cyber-flashing” to cover situations where images of genitalia are sent to recipients without their consent, and with the intention to cause humiliation, distress or alarm.

The Criminal Law Reform Bill is expected to be debated in Parliament in May 2019.

Guest Try and see

She should have at least made an effort to dress properly if she wants to be interviewed by the ST instead of looking like a slut.

Shameless attention whore.

ST_20190426_JAMONICA26_4799630.jpg?itok=

If that Nicholas guy is a fat ugly slob, would there be anybody supporting him?

If Monica is a small sweet demure girl, would people be bashing her like they do now?

Sympathising the culprit and demonising the victim... lol... how dumb can some people be.

Guest Sauce

Exclusive Interview with Nicholas Lim

Soon after undergraduate Nicholas Lim took a video of someone in the hostel shower on his phone, he confessed the act to his girlfriend. The girlfriend was also on her phone: She had received a message that there was a Peeping Tom on the university campus. Together, they met Ms Monica Baey so he could own up and apologise.

"I wanted to confess it was me," Mr Lim, 23, a chemical engineering student at the National University of Singapore (NUS), told The Straits Times.

Asked if he did so only out of fear that he would be caught as a result of his image being captured by surveillance cameras, he said no. "I did something wrong. I wasn't planning to hide from it, to run."

In his first media interview, the man at the centre of a high-profile sexual misconduct case that has prompted widespread discussion about how such incidents are handled on university campuses said, when asked how the past week had been for him: "I don't think I am a victim. I'm the perpetrator. I did what I did. My point is not to justify my action. Not to say I was drunk. Drunk or not, it should never have happened."

At turns emotional, Mr Lim, who was accompanied by a male friend at the interview at a coffee joint at Leisure Park Kallang, said that he is now going public because he wanted people to know "how truly sorry I am".

He broke down twice - burying his head in his arms, his voice trembling - especially when talking about the impact the saga has had on his parents. At one point, his friend patted his arm.

Last Thursday, Ms Baey posted on social media about the incident which took place last November, and her anguish about the lack of steps taken to penalise Mr Lim. He did not know how to react after reading it, he said.

"I was worried, scared. Then came the media coverage. Everyone was posting online." It was then that he told his parents about the incident which happened.

The following morning, his 83-year-old grandmother died from a heart attack. It was not from the incident, he clarified.

But it was painful seeing how much hurt he has caused his parents who, at the same time, had to prepare for his grandmother's wake. "My parents were very worried and kept asking if I was okay. As a son, the last thing I want is for them to be so worried about me at their age, when I should be the one taking care of them," said Mr Lim, the only son of a taxi driver, 69, and a housewife, 59.

"They now have to bear this uncertainty with me," he said, referring to his future.

Mr Lim had joined insurer Great Eastern Singapore as a financial adviser last year while still a student. The company suspended him on Monday, and he later submitted his resignation.

"My dad is a taxi driver and he works very hard. I can tell he is worried sick," said Mr Lim. "There were definitely moments where I felt I could no longer hold it together, but I was lucky to have the support and encouragement of my family, friends and even strangers who have kept me going.

"They were angry at what I did. They were also willing to let me redeem myself - had the faith and belief in the person that I am, to be able to learn from my mistake and become a better person."

His girlfriend, whom he declined to name, has also chosen to stand by him, he said.

Other than going to his grandmother's wake, Mr Lim spent most of his time at home. "For me to step out of the house is not easy. I am worried over what's out there and how people would perceive me."

Mr Lim insisted he does not know what came over him that night. The touch rugby player had gone out to celebrate the end of season with his club mates.

His friend sent him to Eusoff Hall, where he had planned to sleep over in his girlfriend's hostel room.

But as he was walking to the male toilet to take a shower, he passed the female toilet and heard someone in the shower.

"The thought came and I did what I did. It was a hasty decision. I didn't know who was inside. I wasn't dead drunk," said Mr Lim.

He insisted he does not know what came over him.

"I have no excuse why I did it, alcohol is no reason. It was very wrong. I am deeply remorseful. I have and will continue to seek counselling and help," he said.

A key issue heavily debated the past week has been NUS' "two strikes" policy, as well as the police's decision to let him off with a conditional warning.

On whether he felt he should have been charged, Mr Lim said he was not in a position to say if his punishment has been fair or unfair. But it is something he has to deal with.

"I hope that through this incident, there will be fewer occurrences of such offences, whether due to social media presence or by review of systems and regulations to formulate deterrent measures."

Much of the public anger was also fuelled by speculation that he had got off lightly because he had influential parents.

He said: "I hope that people realise the power and impact of social media, and use it for the good of the society. That being said, I am in no position to claim what is fair or not, nor right or wrong. I personally hope that nobody else, along with their loved ones, would have to go through the scrutiny and shaming we did. I would not wish that upon my worst enemy.

He added: "I want to say that I have been and still am truly sorry for what I have done. Nobody should ever be put through the kind of trauma that I caused Monica. People have condemned me and my actions - I deserve it. I condemn myself. I seek everyone's forgiveness.

"And I resolve to work on becoming a better person; to be someone that my parents will not ever be ashamed of in the future."

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/no-excuse-it-was-very-wrong-nicholas-lim

Guest Justice

The most pitiful ones are his parents. Shame on him. I hope justice will be served more appropriately for the victim by heavily penalising the offender.

Guest Try and see
2 hours ago, Ben Ben Ben said:

The whore is seeking straight guys attention 

Yeah, man.

If she wants to wear overalls for the interview, at least have a shirt inside, like this guy:

DAT8_OaUIAACPHW.jpg

Slut.

ST_20190426_JAMONICA26_4799630.jpg?itok=

Guest Chris
3 hours ago, Guest Agreed said:

Yes, agreed...he would not commit suicide. He still has support from his gf and friends around him. Judging by his Instagram pictures, before this incident, he was socially engaged, blessed with good looks and high self esteem. After a few years, nobody will talk about this anymore. Just look at actor Christopher Lee.

What happens to Christopher Lee?

Guest Try and see
1 hour ago, gaysluttyme said:

Sympathise with her iniatially....now as it uncovers.." NVL "....Forget it... GO BACK TO AMERICA

Don't flatter her. She is not even from America so she has no right to "go back to America".

But what you said made me think that she is the type of girl who will either marry only a very rich local guy, or an ang moh guy.

Probably she felt super insulted that a mere taxi driver's son like Nicholas filmed her. 

If it was a rich and handsome ang moh guy who had filmed her, she would have resolved the matter quietly.

Guest Try and see
5 minutes ago, Guest Chris said:

What happens to Christopher Lee?

I think he's referring to the time when Christopher Lee was jailed a few months for drunk driving.

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Guest jay said:

If that Nicholas guy is a fat ugly slob, would there be anybody supporting him?

If Monica is a small sweet demure girl, would people be bashing her like they do now?

Sympathising the culprit and demonising the victim... lol... how dumb can some people be.

I know I'd support Nicholas even now if he had been a fat ugly slob, because I didn't even know how he looked like until recently. Similarly, I'd have supported Monica if she had not gone overboard with her call for vengeance and name and shame the culprit. This is akin to the Brochez case, in which people with HIV were named just to prove an personal point and sought personal vindictive vengeance. 

We are not the dumb ones. As a matter of fact, you are. You fail to understand what is the meaning of 点到为止。She has already done the naming and shaming now. She has already gotten the university to relook into their policies. How much further will she go in her bloodlust? Go after the family? Make his father lose his job? Make him commit suicide? Will you be happier then? How far do you want her to go? 

Guest Try and see
On 4/24/2019 at 3:57 PM, Guest 海螺。 said:

Erm. Actually all her girl friends look kinda lesbiany too. The reason why they may be just friends may be all of them are 娘Ts. Active (opposed to passive) femmes. Actually you can find Monica in a t-shirt that says "femme" something. Femme fatale? More like lipstick femme to me. Just saying... Hurhur.

I really don't think she's a lesbian.

Usually when girls take informal photos together, they tend to touch and hug a lot more than guys do, so from a guy's perspective, it may appear lesbiany, but I don't think they are.

Also, I read in an article that Nic knows her boyfriend.

The only thing we can conclude from her Instagram is that she is very wealthy. She even had an IG post (dated 22 Jan 2019) where she bid farewell to her car that she had for 3 years.

That means all throughout her uni years she had her own car. Not many uni undergrads already have their own car.

But she does.

Guest Try and see

Looking through her IG, it seems:

i) Her father is ang moh? (But she has a Chinese surname?)

ii) Her mother looks like a China/Taiwanese woman?

• G_M locked this topic