Male HQ

Nicholas Lim Scandal Saga (compiled)

Guest scandal

1 hour ago, Guest Sauce said:

I want to give Nicholas a hug. It takes a lot of courage for him to come out to confess and apologize in front of the media. Let's hope that he has learnt a lesson and will not re-offend again. And everyone (including Monica) should move on and not waste time dwelling over this.

Btw thanks to Guest Sauce for sharing this article... I couldn't read it on Straits TImes website because it's a premium article, so I'm happy to see this article here.

1 hour ago, Guest Sauce said:

Can someone share this premium article too?
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/posting-my-story-on-instagram-was-last-resort-monica-baey

I want to read what she said...

Edited by hbst

Guest Try and see
13 minutes ago, hbst said:

I want to give Nicholas a hug. It takes a lot of courage for him to come out to confess and apologize in front of the media. Let's hope that he has learnt a lesson and will not re-offend again. And everyone (including Monica) should move on and not waste time dwelling over this.

Very well-said!  :clap:

I also felt very sorry for Nic when I read his interview report. 

I don't condone what he did, but I don't think he should have his future ruined because of a one-time childish and immature act. 

After all, his dad is the breadwinner, and he is their only son (not sure if he has any sisters). 

Monica's the one who's living a very comfortable and privileged lifestyle - even drives her own car all throughout her uni days. 

Hope this incident reveals to her bf and close friends just how spiteful and vicious she can be if people offend her.

Guest life's lessons
3 hours ago, hbst said:

Btw thanks to Guest Sauce for sharing this article... I couldn't read it on Straits TImes website because it's a premium article, so I'm happy to see this article here.

yep- thanks for sharing the article here. would be good to read her side of the story.

I only found he sounded a bit too submissive. But laudable to come out and set some things right. After all I think it was required because only Monica B was out to talk about the topic.

Actually, after all his attempts to apologise to her at the initial stage, I don't understand why she had to go on with her harshness against him.

It doesn't seem true that Monica B only found out from the CCTV that it was him but she knew from the first day.

If you look at her story, the allowed it to be set with wrong facts.

Is it a bit this "I don't accept this because it happened to me, I deserve a better punishment" reaction?

And I find her fears of going alone to the female shower room as a play. She knew the culprit at early stage and why was there reason to fear more and having fears and trauma in taking a shower. (but maybe I need to be a girl to understand this).

I still think after all it is the jealousy towards him being in a relationship (either with her previous best girl friend or because her girl friend chose to take him).

I said it before: The "second issue and you are out " rule should not be changed for educational institutions.

He sounds to me exactly fitting into the context of doing some folly out of nothing.

And for such "predators" the university should give a second chance.

Don't kill lives at such young stages.

Monica B has been going over board with her reaction and shaming him by name and personal details.

I would appreciate if the university would set this right and give here some warning too. With that publication of him on social media she stopped being a mere victim of a peeping tom but acted in damaging his personal life and career. Such should be stopped and giving warning to refrain future victims to go on social media.

(That is why I conclude that there is this sort of "revenge" feeling against him which comes from a jealousy towards him and his girlfriend.)

And I don't think that any psychological assistance, if the university would have attended to her, would have stopped her to drive her revenge play against him.

She is run by her unforgiving character.

Guest Honest bee
30 minutes ago, Guest life's lessons said:

yep- thanks for sharing the article here. would be good to read her side of the story.

I only found he sounded a bit too submissive. But laudable to come out and set some things right. After all I think it was required because only Monica B was out to talk about the topic.

Actually, after all his attempts to apologise to her at the initial stage, I don't understand why she had to go on with her harshness against him.

It doesn't seem true that Monica B only found out from the CCTV that it was him but she knew from the first day.

If you look at her story, the allowed it to be set with wrong facts.

Is it a bit this "I don't accept this because it happened to me, I deserve a better punishment" reaction?

And I find her fears of going alone to the female shower room as a play. She knew the culprit at early stage and why was there reason to fear more and having fears and trauma in taking a shower. (but maybe I need to be a girl to understand this).

I still think after all it is the jealousy towards him being in a relationship (either with her previous best girl friend or because her girl friend chose to take him).

I said it before: The "second issue and you are out " rule should not be changed for educational institutions.

He sounds to me exactly fitting into the context of doing some folly out of nothing.

And for such "predators" the university should give a second chance.

Don't kill lives at such young stages.

Monica B has been going over board with her reaction and shaming him by name and personal details.

I would appreciate if the university would set this right and give here some warning too. With that publication of him on social media she stopped being a mere victim of a peeping tom but acted in damaging his personal life and career. Such should be stopped and giving warning to refrain future victims to go on social media.

(That is why I conclude that there is this sort of "revenge" feeling against him which comes from a jealousy towards him and his girlfriend.)

And I don't think that any psychological assistance, if the university would have attended to her, would have stopped her to drive her revenge play against him.

She is run by her unforgiving character.

To be honest I also have an unforgiving character for people who accused me for something I didn't do. Scold me cruelly for something I didnt do. As for taking my pic during showering for self gratification. As a guy n the taker is nicholas, I think I will be more forgiving, deep down feeling happy that someone is admiring by body. 

Guest 老干妈油泼辣子
5 hours ago, Guest Try and see said:

I really don't think she's a lesbian.

Usually when girls take informal photos together, they tend to touch and hug a lot more than guys do, so from a guy's perspective, it may appear lesbiany, but I don't think they are.

Also, I read in an article that Nic knows her boyfriend.

The only thing we can conclude from her Instagram is that she is very wealthy. She even had an IG post (dated 22 Jan 2019) where she bid farewell to her car that she had for 3 years.

That means all throughout her uni years she had her own car. Not many uni undergrads already have their own car.

But she does.

Got bf doesn’t mean she is straight, bf can also be a beard, or maybe they are beards for each other. She studied in CHIJ and Catholic High. Probably a closeted lesbian Catholic girl yeah, that’s why became so angsty towards lusty men like Nic.

I am pretty sure she is a total lesbo. *roll eyes*

I chop my head if she isn’t. Lol

Lol so many idiotic gays are supporting the pervert because:

1) they are also into voyeurism fetish

2) he is young cute aka fresh meat

If he was ugly/fat, the comments will definitely be the complete opposite.

Guest Gays are animal
23 minutes ago, Guest Rofl said:

Completely agree! 

1 hour ago, Guest Rofl said:

49 minutes ago, Guest Gays are animal said:

Completely agree! 

To this cynic bad-mouthed "Guest Rofl":  It is regrettable that you post your ugly thoughts here.  You sound homophobic.

To attempt to film this female does not make the guy a "pervert".  A pervert is one who molests little girls.  Your judgment is screwed up.

I take sides with Nicholas Lim. I am not an idiotic gay, I am not into voyeurism nor do I care for his meat.  Instead I have the maturity to realize that perfectly good people make stupid mistakes, especially at the young age of 23 (but not limited to the young), and leniency is the way to handle them.  Some think that leniency is "to spoil", and instead have no problems ruining lives forever.

It would be interesting to know what stupid things you have done, because it is obvious that your life has been ruined, probably by some over-zealous disciplinarian.  Were you caned by your parents as a kid? 

To "Guest Gays":  find yourself a better guide, or you may end up as ugly as he is. 

Edited by Steve5380

Guest thicc
17 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

To die ???

He can perfectly recover from this incident.

not everybody as thick skin as you leh mr.steve

Guest avatar
11 hours ago, Guest Justice said:

The most pitiful ones are his parents. Shame on him. I hope justice will be served more appropriately for the victim by heavily penalising the offender.

you are not justice, u cant determine what is justice. what is heavy enough or what is too light.

Guest ass out of u and me
2 hours ago, Guest Rofl said:

dont 假假 鐵面無私大法官 lah. u dont know what others thinking so 厲害? assume we all shallow as you. lie down on the floor and stay dead la. make and ass out of yourself only.

Guest meeeeeehhhhhhhh~~~~
2 hours ago, Guest Gays are animal said:

Completely agree! 

find a better guide like steve said guest sheeeeeeeppppp.

Guest life's lessons
10 hours ago, Guest Try and see said:

Looking through her IG, it seems:

i) Her father is ang moh? (But she has a Chinese surname?)

ii) Her mother looks like a China/Taiwanese woman?

i) Chinese surname probably because she was born when her father and mother had not been married or maybe never had been. Her father seems to be that Norwegian guy.

ii) Could be, but the mother could be from Malaysian origins or even from Hong Kong too. There are quite some with the Baey name in Singapore.

Guest life's lessons

I still don't think she is a lesbian. She just doesn't have any bf at the moment. (and that is maybe the problem she has)

At instagram most people would put up pics with the bf.

did you note that there is not one single girl in her instagram, with whom she is seen together very often?

(Same goes for the guys on her pics).

Even if you look at the best girl friend, she posts plenty of pictures with her bf. But Monica doesn't. Can only conclude she doesn't have a bf.

Guest Try and see
16 minutes ago, Guest life's lessons said:

I still don't think she is a lesbian. She just doesn't have any bf at the moment. (and that is maybe the problem she has)

At instagram most people would put up pics with the bf.

In the below article, it mentioned that Monica has a bf.

I have come across girls who don't post pics of their boyfriends on their social media for various reasons, so maybe Monica is one of them?

After Monica revealed his identity online, Nicholas called her boyfriend asking if she intended to “ruin his future”.

https://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2019/04/21/nicholas-lims-girlfriend-asked-monica-baey-not-to-pursue-case-against-him/amp/

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Guest avatar said:

you are not justice, u cant determine what is justice. what is heavy enough or what is too light.

What about what is fair? Another case a peeping tom, never filmed, but was jailed and fined.

2 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

What about what is fair? Another case a peeping tom, never filmed, but was jailed and fined.

If u r referring to rp s case, that fellow was not a student n was handled by the police.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest 女娲卧底
2 hours ago, Guest Try and see said:

In the below article, it mentioned that Monica has a bf.

I have come across girls who don't post pics of their boyfriends on their social media for various reasons, so maybe Monica is one of them?

After Monica revealed his identity online, Nicholas called her boyfriend asking if she intended to “ruin his future”.

https://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2019/04/21/nicholas-lims-girlfriend-asked-monica-baey-not-to-pursue-case-against-him/amp/

Most likely a “brother”, or male friend pretending to be her boyfriend to protect her in  times of need. He didn’t even show his face. Talking about ad hoc, invisible beards!

Guest Justice
4 hours ago, Guest avatar said:

Nicholas Lim committed a crime, a crime that deserves to be punished severely.

No amount of apologies and light sentence for him can ease the trauma and future repercussions of the victim.

This case was handled badly by relevant authorities imo and should be reviewed for harsher punishment to be fair to the victim and public.

1 hour ago, Guest Justice said:

No amount of apologies and light sentence for him can ease the trauma and future repercussions of the victim.

This case was handled badly by relevant authorities imo and should be reviewed for harsher punishment to be fair to the victim and public.

I think you are a teaser.  No one should take seriously what you say.

You can keep posting idiocies and making a fool of yourself, if this is what you like.  

This horse has been whipped next to death and people are still going on about it?! 

Zero sympathy for Monica here. You either die a hero or see yourself turn into a villain. She failed to disclose any reason given by her IO for why no further action was pursued under the law, she was the one who fanned the now proven false news that Nicholas was somehow connected and rich hence he could expect leniency from the law, she framed the issue as the police somehow telling her that she could turn to the university for further redress and implied that the police could only take further prosecution action if she managed to pressure the university to increase its punishment of Nicholas and make a bigger deal of things. 

All the framing of the whole saga in terms of agitating for systemic change is just convenient cover. At the bottom of it all was revenge pure and simple. Maybe Nicholas deserved revenge taken on him on her part. But I can't find it in myself to respect a girl who has no intentions of being honest about her true motivations, and had studiously kept silent during the entire witch hunt that took on a life of its own against the guy, and also failed to apologise and clarify her false hearsay claims of him being rich and connected as slanderous talk. 

He's no Saint. But she's no true feminist or SJW either. NUS disciplinary rules have been that way for ages. If she was half as self righteous as she made herself to be in the whole saga why bother to raise the issue of perceived laissez-faire punishment of disciplinary offences such as indecency and voyeurism adds on campus only when she got affected herself? 

Once again, no sympathy for her. Nobody comes out of this looking good. Not her. Not him. Not the police who belatedly came to clear the air about lawful precedence and benchmarking in how they decide what to prosecute. Not NUS who failed utterly in damage control and allowed lax disciplinary rules to fester and persist for so long until something like this blew up in their faces. And looking at the online behaviour of the local lynch mob as well as all the false accusations and speculations flying around about the guy, I've lost all possible sympathy towards opposition of the arguably necessarily draconian fake news and doxxing laws in SG. We've shown as a society we don't deserve our media freedom nor freedom of speech online if we're so irresponsible with it. 

5 hours ago, Guest Justice said:

u sound very unforgiving. and who are u to decide the severity of a punishment? how severe u want? hang him? since we are throwing his future might as well take his life. 

what about petty thefts? stealing a candy from mama shop? does that deserve death too?

its also a crime. it need to be punished severely

No amount of apologies and light sentence for him can ease the trauma and loss of 20 cents of the mama shop owner.

stop playing god. he has officially been punished. if he deserved more. god would have struck him with lightning. and if u believe he deserves more. act it out on your own at your consequence if authorities refuse to do so. im sure u would make a great vigilante. 

i m sorry she is contradicting herself 
She said she go to the extent of contemplating to pursue legal and she felt Nic is not well punished 

She even reach out to NUS to ensure Nic is doing fine!!!!!!!!!

Guest Guest
11 hours ago, fab said:

If u r referring to rp s case, that fellow was not a student n was handled by the police.

No, not RP case. In fact all are handled by police, even Monicolas.

1 hour ago, -Ignored- said:

i m sorry she is contradicting herself 
She said she go to the extent of contemplating to pursue legal and she felt Nic is not well punished 

She even reach out to NUS to ensure Nic is doing fine!!!!!!!!!

If you demonstrated you are a slut and a bitch, criminals are not fully blamed for being seduced by the bitch. Please wear appropriately 

Guest Guest

The criminal lawyers noted that it is uncommon for even a first-time offender to be let off with just a conditional warning for a sexual voyeurism offence, which would come under the Penal Code's Section 509, which criminalises words or gestures intended to "insult the modesty" of women.

Mr Josephus Tan, founder of Invictus Law Corporation, said: "A first-time offender for Section 509 Penal Code offence should generally be looking at a sentence of two to four weeks in jail per charge. This NUS case seems unusual as he was let off with a conditional stern warning without going through the judicial process at the first instance.

"Ultimately, the sentence imposed by courts varies from a fine to jail term to probation, but in the last few years jail has been the norm for such cases."

Mr Tan added: "Regardless of the sentence to be imposed, it would be appropriate for the offender in this case to be dealt with by our courts and a conditional stern warning could then be contemplated by the prosecution thereafter based on mitigating factors.

From ST

i dont think she has dressed inapporpirately (she is legally well dressed)
a kid/teen is cute and lovable, seemed to smile and be so inviting but that doesnt mean he is inviting any pedophile  to take on him

Nic did say that "he deserved it! " himself, grandma has recently passed away too (of course not related to the case)

Edited by lovehandle

Guest Guest
“Statement from Nicholas Lim [Jun Kai]: “For the past few months, I’ve been overcome with shame and regret. It was no small mistake but a stupid act done in a moment of folly to satiate my voyeuristic fetish.
“I’m truly sorry for my reprehensible actions and sincerely apologize to anyone I’ve caused distress to. There’s no excuse for what I’ve done.
“I urge sexual harassment victims with similar stories like Monica to step forward and seek legal recourse for there’s no shame on doing so. I will face whatever consequences are meted out and hope that this will give Monica and her loved ones some closure.
“I’ve since resigned from Great Eastern and been keeping out of the public eye to protect myself and those close to me. Once again, no words can mitigate the trauma that I have caused Monica since that day.”

Guest life's lessons

NUS please please give her a personal bodyguard, so that she can shower in piece for the rest of her life. Please!

I can't hear it anymore that she is suffering so much from fear for her safety in taking showers at NUS and elsewhere.

But NUS please make sure that it is a powerful, strong handed Gurkha and guarantee that he will not accidentally grope her while waiting for her in front of the shower. Personnel screening advised.

Any butches, please come forward to protect her and to work for her safety and freedom to shower without fear. You must be carrying the black belt from Judo and know how to punch down a guy. 

Applications can be sent to:

National University of Singapore

21 Lower Kent Ridge Rd

Singapore 119077

Attn.: Monica Baey Committee

Anybody would be joining a candle light vigil for Monica B to bring back her soul.

Interested parties please register at

NoMorePeepingTomFearatNUS@gfemail.com

Guest life's lessons
9 hours ago, West93 said:

This horse has been whipped next to death and people are still going on about it?! 

Zero sympathy for Monica here. You either die a hero or see yourself turn into a villain. She failed to disclose any reason given by her IO for why no further action was pursued under the law, she was the one who fanned the now proven false news that Nicholas was somehow connected and rich hence he could expect leniency from the law, she framed the issue as the police somehow telling her that she could turn to the university for further redress and implied that the police could only take further prosecution action if she managed to pressure the university to increase its punishment of Nicholas and make a bigger deal of things. 

All the framing of the whole saga in terms of agitating for systemic change is just convenient cover. At the bottom of it all was revenge pure and simple. Maybe Nicholas deserved revenge taken on him on her part. But I can't find it in myself to respect a girl who has no intentions of being honest about her true motivations, and had studiously kept silent during the entire witch hunt that took on a life of its own against the guy, and also failed to apologise and clarify her false hearsay claims of him being rich and connected as slanderous talk. 

He's no Saint. But she's no true feminist or SJW either. NUS disciplinary rules have been that way for ages. If she was half as self righteous as she made herself to be in the whole saga why bother to raise the issue of perceived laissez-faire punishment of disciplinary offences such as indecency and voyeurism adds on campus only when she got affected herself? 

Once again, no sympathy for her. Nobody comes out of this looking good. Not her. Not him. Not the police who belatedly came to clear the air about lawful precedence and benchmarking in how they decide what to prosecute. Not NUS who failed utterly in damage control and allowed lax disciplinary rules to fester and persist for so long until something like this blew up in their faces. And looking at the online behaviour of the local lynch mob as well as all the false accusations and speculations flying around about the guy, I've lost all possible sympathy towards opposition of the arguably necessarily draconian fake news and doxxing laws in SG.

We've shown as a society we don't deserve our media freedom nor freedom of speech online if we're so irresponsible with it. 

I agree to most of your statements but not the the one about media freedom and freedom of speech (which I underlined at your post).

With or without there will always be people who abuse it or would be irresponsible.

But to curtail the majority due to some few irresponsible should not be taken to disallow freedom of press and freedom of speech.

Western societies in the Western European context have shown the way to handle it.

The reason for curtailing these liberties might have a different background locally, which I do not support in any way.

Guest victim

I hate women who pretend to be a victim to gain sympathy. very good at pretending. full of cunning plan. Say one thing but do another thing. doesn't mean it for every word they churn out.
And I think it's time for me to show off my acting skills again to counter-attack back at them, otherwise, if keep on being silent, I really cannot breathe and mind is getting heavy and heavy each time go back from work time. I really need to learn from Yanxi Palace. There is nothing wrong to be like Wei Yingluo in order to for her to survive in the palace and for me to survive in the workplace. I need to be more cunning than them in order to survive. I always think that ppl will defence me or speak out for my behalf. I was wrong. I need to rewatch Yanxi to get the motivation and strike back at them.

Guest more to come

Second Peeping Tom case in four days reported at NTU

Published

Apr 26, 2019, 11:17 pm SGT

SINGAPORE - A police report has been made against a 22-year-old male suspect on April 18 for filming a fellow female student showering at a hall of residence in Nanyang Technological University (NTU).

The incident at Tamarind Hall is the second reported case in four days at NTU.

The first occurred at the university's Hall 3 on April 21, when a 19-year-old male trespasser had allegedly taken photographs of a male undergraduate in the shower. The male suspect was "neither a student nor employee of NTU", an NTU spokesman had said. He was detained by several students until the police arrived.

In the latest reported case, the man was captured on closed-circuit television cameras in the hostel. The police confirmed he is also a resident of Tamarind Hall.

The alleged incident took place around 10pm on April 17, when the 20-year-old woman noticed a phone being slipped in from the top of her cubicle while she was showering in the hostel's toilet. Shocked, she swiftly got dressed to go after the perpetrator but could not locate him.

She reportedly confided in a friend before informing NTU campus security the same night.

The next day, an NTU officer accompanied her to make a police report, a spokesman of the university said in a statement to The Straits Times.

The affected female student is receiving the full assistance and support from NTU's pastoral care team which reached out to her immediately after the incident."

The spokesman added: "Our priority is to ensure her welfare and we are commencing our own investigations into the incident."

Police are investigating both cases.

These events come amid a public furore that erupted after Miss Monica Baey, 23, a third-year National University of Singapore (NUS) student was similarly filmed in the shower by a male student, Mr Nicholas Lim, 23, at the university's Eusoff Hall.

Miss Baey, 23, described the school's handling of the case on her Instagram and it led many to criticise the punishment given to Mr Lim. A debate also erupted over NUS' "two strikes and you're out" policy towards sexual misconduct cases.

NTU told The New Paper on Wednesday (April 24) that in the light of recent events, it has a "zero-tolerance" policy towards harassment. It added that students had been expelled for harassment-related offences, including sexual harassment.

The New Paper report also said that NTU's student life team had sent an e-newsletter to students on Wednesday to remind them of the university's zero-tolerance policy.

The newsletter also said an online module on anti-harassment will be introduced for all freshmen and student organisers of orientation programmes in July when the academic year starts.

Guest walao eh
52 minutes ago, Guest more to come said:

Second Peeping Tom case in four days reported at NTU

Published

Apr 26, 2019, 11:17 pm SGT

SINGAPORE - A police report has been made against a 22-year-old male suspect on April 18 for filming a fellow female student showering at a hall of residence in Nanyang Technological University (NTU).

The incident at Tamarind Hall is the second reported case in four days at NTU.

The first occurred at the university's Hall 3 on April 21, when a 19-year-old male trespasser had allegedly taken photographs of a male undergraduate in the shower. The male suspect was "neither a student nor employee of NTU", an NTU spokesman had said. He was detained by several students until the police arrived.

In the latest reported case, the man was captured on closed-circuit television cameras in the hostel. The police confirmed he is also a resident of Tamarind Hall.

The alleged incident took place around 10pm on April 17, when the 20-year-old woman noticed a phone being slipped in from the top of her cubicle while she was showering in the hostel's toilet. Shocked, she swiftly got dressed to go after the perpetrator but could not locate him.

She reportedly confided in a friend before informing NTU campus security the same night.

The next day, an NTU officer accompanied her to make a police report, a spokesman of the university said in a statement to The Straits Times.

The affected female student is receiving the full assistance and support from NTU's pastoral care team which reached out to her immediately after the incident."

The spokesman added: "Our priority is to ensure her welfare and we are commencing our own investigations into the incident."

Police are investigating both cases.

These events come amid a public furore that erupted after Miss Monica Baey, 23, a third-year National University of Singapore (NUS) student was similarly filmed in the shower by a male student, Mr Nicholas Lim, 23, at the university's Eusoff Hall.

Miss Baey, 23, described the school's handling of the case on her Instagram and it led many to criticise the punishment given to Mr Lim. A debate also erupted over NUS' "two strikes and you're out" policy towards sexual misconduct cases.

NTU told The New Paper on Wednesday (April 24) that in the light of recent events, it has a "zero-tolerance" policy towards harassment. It added that students had been expelled for harassment-related offences, including sexual harassment.

The New Paper report also said that NTU's student life team had sent an e-newsletter to students on Wednesday to remind them of the university's zero-tolerance policy.

The newsletter also said an online module on anti-harassment will be introduced for all freshmen and student organisers of orientation programmes in July when the academic year starts.

Walao eh, what happens to our society ah. So many peeping toms. is the end coming? 

I “used” to empathise Monica’s position. But (pardon me for expressing my lack of rationality), this Monica is turning somewhat opportunitistic now .. she is behaving in ways akin to someone sensationalising the issue with none other than herself in the center of it all .. as if she is trying to get something out of all this .. it’s almost come across “feeling” like she is trying a bit too hard to sell her presence on the public media. Does anyone feel the same way? I know I may be flamed for being irrational here :) 

I just hope Nicholas can find life lessons from this whole saga, and not give in to stress and end up taking his own life. Hang in there. I find myself strangely rooting for Mr Nicholas Lim... this is weird 

Edited by Pubic01

28 minutes ago, Pubic01 said:

I “used” to empathise Monica’s position. But (pardon me for expressing my lack of rationality), this Monica is turning somewhat opportunitistic now .. she is behaving in ways akin to someone sensationalising the issue with none other than herself in the center of it all .. as if she is trying to get something out of all this .. it’s almost come across “feeling” like she is trying a bit too hard to sell her presence on the public media. Does anyone feel the same way? I know I may be flamed for being irrational here :) 

I just hope Nicholas can find life lessons from this whole saga, and not give in to stress and end up taking his own life. Hang in there. I find myself strangely rooting for Mr Nicholas Lim... this is weird 

She wants something more than just publicity.  She wanted the case to be re-opened and ensure his total destruction and that of his humble family.

So I won't flame you for being weird.  You will be irrational if you think otherwise.  

Don't read and response to guests' post

Guest Try and see
40 minutes ago, Pubic01 said:

I fully agree.

She is exploiting the whole incident to gain more Instagram followers and hopefully find a rich boyfriend, amongst other motives.

Remember that she is also graduating soon. She must be also hoping to use the publicity to get headhunted by a potential employer, because her type of lousy degree (Communications & New Media) is practically useless.

Yes, welcome to the real world, Ms Baey.

Guest Try and see
8 minutes ago, LeanMature said:

She wants something more than just publicity.  She wanted the case to be re-opened and ensure his total destruction and that of his humble family.

So I won't flame you for being weird.  You will be irrational if you think otherwise.  

Well-said!  :clap:

Guest plot twist

NTU: Why I also kena? 2 cases somemore :mellow:

SMU: Heng! I don't have hall

SUTD: Better get ready. 

19-year-old man investigated for Peeping Tom incident in male toilet at NTU residential hall
Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/19-year-old-man-investigated-ntu-male-toilet-shower-11475234

22-year-old NTU student under investigation over Peeping Tom incident
Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/22-year-old-ntu-student-investigated-peeping-tom-11482262

Guest lesson

53 minutes ago, Pubic01 said:

a really big lesson. sort of a aversion therapy. He won't be touching his voyeurism fetish anymore. Maybe lost his confidence with woman in the future. everytime he touches woman he will think of that incident. I'm not in anyway mocking him. Maybe it is for me only, once a lady yelled at me, I really scared to most of the ladies. deep inside me, I feel all ladies are same like the first one who yelled at me.

I just realised after reading up more about this saga. (I didn’t keep tab previously) Monica is a mass communication student. Now that explains my gut intuition ..

She is weaponising mass-media .. and this is terrible.

She should know very well the destructive power of unbridled misuse of mass-media. She is misusing the power of mass Comm to her personal vindictive advantage. That’s terribly ugly.

Monica, you have to stop this. You will burn yourself alive girl if you don’t stop .. ☹️ 

Some observations and personal opinions of this saga:

1) Differing accounts from both sides

Mothership: Victim Monica Baey & perpetrator Nicholas Lim give differing accounts of what happened

https://mothership.sg/2019/04/monica-baey-nicholas-lim-differing-accounts/

In summary:

Nicholas' version: When he was walking to the male toilet to take a shower, he heard someone in the shower in the female toilet and decided to act. He did not know what came over him and he was not targeting any female student in particular: “The thought came and I did what I did. It was a hasty decision. I didn’t know who was inside. I wasn’t dead drunk.”

Monica's version: Security camera footage allegedly showed Nicholas searching different cubicles in an entirely different block for someone to film. This is a suggestion that Nicholas did not just happen to encounter a random person in the female toilet at that time. This was mentioned by Monica the very first time she went public with her story on Thursday, April 18.

As long as both sides cannot reach an agreement and the authorities do not come out to clarify the truth, there will be no closure to this saga.

Fault: NUS, SPF and authorities for failing to provide the full story, leaving both camps and the public to further speculation

2) Principle of equal misery

Straits Times: Victim of sexual voyeurism at NUS says culprit was getting on with his life while she suffered
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/posting-my-story-on-instagram-was-last-resort-monica-baey

This is a typical example of the principle of equal misery: If you are happy and I am miserable, and I cannot find happiness, I will make you miserable to achieve fairness.

One good example is the MOE car-park saga. Once upon a time, teachers could park for free and civil servants from other ministries had to pay for parking. Some people cried "unfair!" and in the end, the government made teachers pay for parking (instead of lifting/lowering car-park rates for other civil servants).

Monica was feeling miserable because she did not receive adequate support from NUS, and to rub salt into her wound, she saw Nicholas getting on with his life. So she decided to make Nicholas miserable. In the end, the whole saga became "Les Misérables"...

Applying this principle of equal misery, Nicholas could have said "There are so many perpetrators before me. Why am I taking all the blame? I must make the previous perpetrators as miserable as me." But he didn't do that. He confessed and took all the blame, saying "I deserved it". More impressively, Nicholas said: "I personally hope that nobody else, along with their loved ones, would have to go through the scrutiny and shaming we did. I would not wish that upon my worst enemy." In his miserable state, he doesn't want anyone else to suffer like him. This is called "compassion": the wish to protect others from their suffering. Instead of fighting for equal misery, why not be compassionate and aim for equal happiness?

For Monica's case, she won't be getting happiness anytime soon, as she still believes that the authorities are not doing enough. As long as she is still feeling miserable, Nicholas will not get peace anytime soon.

Fault: NUS, SPF and authorities for failing to provide support and justice to Monica, causing her to become miserable and causing her to make Nicholas and everyone else miserable.

3) No intention to forgive

Straits Times: Voyeurism victim Monica Baey speaks out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5qWfkBb9YQ

If you watch this video from 5:17 to the end, you will hear Monica saying she has not forgiven Nicholas and she does not want to forgive him anytime soon.

I find this very sad. As long as she has no intention to forgive, she will be constantly carrying grudges in her heart and she will not be at peace. In Buddhist teachings, bad deeds lead to bad karma to the perpetrator, and animosity to the victim. If the victim is unable to put down the animosity, it will evolve into vengefulness, leading to the creation of new bad karma. Forgiveness does not erase the bad karma of the perpetrator, but it will stop the creation of new bad karma, and the victim will feel peace.

For Monica's case, she has no intention to forgive Nicholas as she still believes that the authorities are not doing enough. With that mindset, she is not going to get any peace, and there will be no closure to the saga.

Fault: NUS, SPF and authorities for failing to provide support and justice to Monica, causing her to become vengeful and resentful.

In general, NUS, SPF and the authorities have failed to provide adequate support to Monica and victims of other sexual assaults, failed to provide transparency and responsibility for this saga, failed to address the deep-rooted issue of sexual misconduct, and failed to deter sexual misconduct in campus. (It is really a joke to hear 2 more cases of peeping toms in NTU after this saga surfaced.) In my opinion, this saga is not going to end anytime soon, as long as Monica still feels that the authorities are not doing enough, and she is still holding on to grudges.

Guest karma
23 minutes ago, Pubic01 said:

I just realised after reading up more about this saga. (I didn’t keep tab previously) Monica is a mass communication student. Now that explains my gut intuition ..

She should know very well the destructive power of unbridled misuse of mass-media. She is misusing the power of mass Comm to her personal vindictive advantage. That’s terribly ugly.

Monica, you have to stop this. You will burn yourself alive girl if you don’t stop .. ☹️ 

Maybe if she kept on doing this or maybe its too late already, all eye will be on her. Especially those people that disagree with her method will dig up her past or scrutinize her future behavior. Nobody is a saint. Any wrongdoing of her in the future or any in the past (if found out) people will do the same thing to her.

2 hours ago, Guest walao eh said:

Walao eh, what happens to our society ah. So many peeping toms. is the end coming? 

This shows the failure of our country's education system to prevent sexual misconduct through education and counseling.

This also shows that people are being brainwashed by the numerous spying videos and porn videos that can be easily found on the internet. The sheer amount of such videos on the internet has "normalised" peeping behaviour and encouraged potential voyeurs to record new spying videos. Although such videos are banned in Blowing Wind, they can easily be found on websites and forums from other countries.

The government's reaction is rather passive, they focus on creating laws and regulations on voyeurism and illegal spy recording, but fail to prevent the problems in the first place via sex education in schools and tertiary institutions, and fail to establish proper channels for victims to get support.

Edited by hbst

4 hours ago, Pubic01 said:

Why is rooting for Nicholas weird?  It shows that you have basic moral principles that are not pulled around by social correctness.  One could have sympathized with the girl until she started a campaign to have him punished more.  

2 hours ago, Pubic01 said:

---

Now is her turn to do something stupid.  She may end up regretting it more than he regrets his action.

• G_M locked this topic