Male HQ

How do you think technology is affecting your generation’s ability to communicate and relate to older generations?

Guest Cheng

My 7 y.o. granddaughter has a better laptop than I,  and my 5 y.o. grandson has more ability with his little fingers than I.  But this means little.

We older folks need to embrace technology and become experts with our smartphones to be at par with the younger generation.

It should not be impossible,  although it is more comfortable to step back and criticize those who cannot live without their phones.

When I was a child, the old folks were complaining that we watched some cartoons on TV instead of doing "more productive things"  :lol:

As a mature adult, we need to be able to sort out what is good and what is not, things like google map and other apps is definitely some of the best invention, the concern is many stare at their phone to avoid real chatting with a real person, totally immerse in a virtual world definitely should not be encourage and sadly a lot are already phone addicts which already been classified as a kind of mental issues.

Guest Talk is Cheaper

Before we even talk about young and old generations using Technology.  Let's begin by getting younger gay to accept older gay before we even deal with fruitful interaction outside the gay circle?  

• 2 years later...

Generally yes.

I was in a team to handle a new project with 2 other newbies. My tech skills average compared to them, and I admired theirs. But depending, some projects require more collaborations. Judging from no of problems I solved by talking in person with others, I think my people skills were useful.

On 4/30/2019 at 2:31 AM, lonelyglobe said:

As a mature adult, we need to be able to sort out what is good and what is not, things like google map and other apps is definitely some of the best invention, the concern is many stare at their phone to avoid real chatting with a real person, totally immerse in a virtual world definitely should not be encourage and sadly a lot are already phone addicts which already been classified as a kind of mental issues.

No matter how old we are we should be able to recognize the new miraculous tools we have gained thanks to technology.  I would put as no. 1 the Internet, with incredible capacity for information and the power of search engines to find this information. Second to this one, I would list the worldwide fiber optic network that allows us to communicate with any place on the planet at nearly the speed of light and nearly for free,  the cell phones who allow us to be reachable and in contact wherever we go in populated areas, and the GPS system that allows us to know our geographical position with accuracy anywhere in the world.

What worries me perhaps more than one generation communicating with another is what today defines communication. Sorry, guys, but I know you will be pissed off at older guys saying "it was better in the old days". Technological advances in recent decades have been massive and many more will be on the horizon. Today it seems so easy for us to use our phones and tablets to communicate by messaging, Instagram, Twitter, WeChat. Weibo and so many other apps. Yet, are we really "communicating"? To a certain extent yes. But we tend to communicate in short bursts. We tend to like people more as a result of their photos and what they look like rather than how and what they communicate. If we do not like what someone is saying, we can just either not respond or even ban them. All it needs is one click.

Today communication is user-centric. We have a tendency to embrace other users who agree with our views. Those with opposing views do not fit in to our 21st century lives. That, at least to me, is the biggest problem with technological advances. In the old days, we'd meet up with friends and/or co-workers in a pub or over a lunch. We'd discuss matters of mutual interest. Mostly we'd have fun. Often there would be differences of opinion, perhaps even arguments. In the group setting, we'd then either try to reach a form of consensus or agree to differ. In that sort of physical setting, you cannot just ban someone or click them off. You somehow have to either shut up or respond. In a social setting, you are much better able to ready body language and notice voice intonations. Today there little room for consensus building. And we increasingly see that in the sort of toxic politics that now embraces an increasing number of countries. Entrenched positions become even more entrenched. Same on an individual level.

It's also true on the gay apps. Most users are attracted to someone on the basis of photos and profiles. Perhaps there will be a meet up over a drink, maybe straight to a sexual tryst. Most often thereafter it will be "thanks and goodbye".  Of course, that was also true before when you saw a cute guy in a pub or a party and were attracted to each other. It could end after one meeting. But when you meet in a personal setting, you have a much better chance of getting to know at least some of that person whereas on the apps you take pot luck.

Communication is a two way street. According to the UK's most prestigious medical journal The Lancet increased digital skills have definitely impacted our ability to communicate with one another. The key to communication is not so much what is said; it is to hear what isn't being said.

On 12/12/2021 at 12:08 PM, InBangkok said:

It's also true on the gay apps. Most users are attracted to someone on the basis of photos and profiles. Perhaps there will be a meet up over a drink, maybe straight to a sexual tryst. Most often thereafter it will be "thanks and goodbye".  Of course, that was also true before when you saw a cute guy in a pub or a party and were attracted to each other. It could end after one meeting. But when you meet in a personal setting, you have a much better chance of getting to know at least some of that person whereas on the apps you take pot luck.

Good observation and identification of the ground problem. 

I'm sure most of us can relate to this. The next question is is there any solution since there is no way to go against the trend.  

A dinner table with youngsters staring at their smart phones while the older members are left by themselves, then there's a problem here. Technology such as smart phone is meant for communication. Communication enhances relationship. However, when it's not channelled correctly, it can affect the opposite. 

The smart phone can bring people closer or distance relationships. With it I can communicate with you guys in Singapore and worldwide from Penang.

I realize it's a norm nowadays to text birthday messages. Even commercial companies practice that to their clients. On contrary, a call makes our wishes more personalized and meaningful especially towards our elderly and the ones close to us.

i think every generation has communication gap. in the past technology did not advance as quickly as today the gap will be smaller. social media also opens a new era, when the youngster think differently as compare to the elder generation. people now thinks in a global context rather than our elder generation who are more protective of their native culture.

whats worse, many of our elders inherit many habits from their experience and the generation before them which young people considered as ugly.

On 12/12/2021 at 1:12 PM, kidster said:

I'm sure most of us can relate to this. The next question is is there any solution since there is no way to go against the trend.  

Thanks. I suppose the best solution is to do your best to reverse the trend as far as is possible. Try to arrange to meet a group friends in a bar or a cheapish restaurant on a regular basis. Inevitably some will say they don't have time. But if human dialogue and conversation are to replace the impersonal chit chat on the apps, getting together with others is certainly one way.

Guest Paula Malay Ah Lee

People can be socially awkward without their phone. They don't know what to do with their hands, where to look etc. You see people on a date, both fiddling with their phones.

Before smartphones, Last time they smoked ciggies.

On 12/12/2021 at 2:12 PM, kidster said:

why is there no way to reverse the trend, at least for yourself? 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.