Male HQ

Parents with bad English

fab

Should just stick to their mother tongue.

Egs.

Want a not?

U cry u stop.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Did it occur to you that those parents or grandparents just want to communciate with their children/ grandchildren? Or they could be picking up the language and trying it out. There are no rules saying that you must be proficient enough to use a language before you could actually speak it. You should stick to you own business. I love hearing want mum mum, gai gai...whatever. It's their children for goodness sake. I don't think they will undo the work that the teachers are doing and cause their children to speak incoherently.

I love speaking in singlish (it's such a lovely national identity). But if need be, i can speak in perfect grammatical english. I think Singlish is great for people who are impatient :) Want or not? Why like that? Language is for communication. If the message is conveyed,  the goal is achieved. 

Guest Try and see
6 hours ago, fab said:

You are saying your own parents or other people's parents?

Can understand, no problem. Language is mainly used for communication anyway.

Overall, as long as it's not a work setting, I don't see a problem in Manglish/Singlish.

Also, keep in mind that the older generation did not have as much access to education as us younger folks do. They are the reason why we have the opportunity to be so fluent and gained so much more as a result. You would do them (and yourself) a favour by forgiving their (lack of) proficiency.

Guest u cry u stop
14 hours ago, fab said:

Egs.

Want a not?

U cry u stop.

what is "u cry u stop"?

I think @fabis right.

Parents whose original language is not the local one should speak to their children in their original language nearly exclusively since birth.

The children will catch up with the local language when they go to kindergarten, elementary, etc.

It is the perfect opportunity for the children to learn to perfectly speak a second language (their parents').

To speak more than one language is a great boost to our brains.

Guest Mary
17 hours ago, Guest Try and see said:

You are saying your own parents or other people's parents?

LOL.  You already wrote Singlish ! 

Are you referring to your parents OR other parents ? 

Guest guest

Why you all act like English language professor or language purity Nazi,

The English language is spoken in many ways in the U.K. itself, and in the Carribean and former colonies , English is spoken the way rhe locals can understand it.

Maybe Singapore is too small a place and easier to impose conformity but look at how English is spoken in Africa, Carribean , etc

If the Brits themselves can accomodate and welcome English speakers of all.shapes and color  , I dont see why reddot   cannot accomodate . 

We do not own the English language, its not our native tongue , we borrowed it so that to get ahead of our neighbouring countries. Now that advantage and gap is closing.

Egs.

It would be considered racist and white supremist to tell a carribean english speaker to speak queen's standard.

They have their own grammar rules.

English is colorful lah.

But the thing sadly is linguist have not elevated the status of Singlish . LOL.

• 5 months later...
On 5/5/2019 at 3:31 PM, lean n mean said:

I love speaking in singlish (it's such a lovely national identity). But if need be, i can speak in perfect grammatical english. I think Singlish is great for people who are impatient :) Want or not? Why like that? Language is for communication. If the message is conveyed,  the goal is achieved. 

Agree.  If u r talking to your family member, lover , friends and even close colleagues in an informal setup like over lunch ...... 

Informal session brings about casual , relax and draw ppl closer 

Has discretion to when to speak proper and when to relax ....

Guest You can a not
On 5/5/2019 at 9:37 AM, fab said:

Egs.

Want a not?

U cry u stop.

You and parents speak Queen’s English?

• G_M locked this topic