Male HQ

Madonna: I'm being punished for turning 60

1 hour ago, Guest Caught Telling Lies said:

Madonna also really needs to try other things and not be afraid to learn other things. If people think her acting is bad, show some humility and take some lessons, it shouldn't be too hard to learn to play mothers and grandmothers with good acting teachers. The same thing goes for directing. Go hang out on the set with some of the best directors in Hollywood, or London, or wherever she likes. Learn from what they are doing and apply those lessons to future projects. Hard work never stops regardless of age.

Maybe she will do all that.  She probably is not ready yet.  I can tell from experience that being in good shape one does not feel different at 60 from being 50,  and maybe not much different at 70 either.  She may feel that she can do still the same without problems.  We will see, and in the meantime we don't need to worry about her.

13 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Wow...you lump the president of the united sates the same as a pop star. Shows how famous she is.

I also mentioned corrupted crooks in white and public health risks, but you ignore. My dear, cannot be too openly selective lah, your bias is showing and your logic is failing. luckily you are anonymous, cos it's getting a bit paiseh. 

Recently, I have also been discussing a lot of developments in space and on the ISS. Did you know there are bugs and bacteria on the space station that are not from this earth, eating the metal structure? That is soft disclosure of non-terrestrial alien life!

Meanwhile, Madonna is still whining about why people don't treat her like she is 20 anymore. Umm...

11 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

You may be interested in a lengthy analysis of the popularity of Madonna:

https://chartmasters.org/2017/08/cspc-madonna-popularity-analysis-2/

It seems that Madonna does not fit under "unpopular things",  because even if she may not be the MOST popular,  some popularity remains, and so by the meaning of the language, she cannot be un-popular.

Popularity is one thing - to be kept as a talking point is part of the game for artists. But are they compliments or criticisms? Are they being lauded or laughed at?  That are two sides to this game of popularity - thankfully you also highlighted anonymous guest' lumping of Trump and Madonna - it makes no sense.

Essentially, what we discuss doesn't necessarily mean we are in love with it - sometimes it just needs to be said or talked about openly. I do tend to discuss things that are wrong or off-putting - because things that are right and going well deserve praise, not discourse. This was also lost on our dear guest - this is why I was reminded suddenly to talk about bugs, they are simple minded too!

The lore of Madonna is a great one. Even though she is a good 15 years before my time, I have keen interest in history and how things came to be the way they are. It's just the way I am. Because she has always beenheld up as the one instrumental figure to shape pop-music (she is not, by the way), I've done my research on her many many years ago: From her humble beginnings, life as failed dancer, restlessness and desire to prove everyone wrong, the loss of her mother, her catholicism, etc. Not because i am obsessed with her, but really because I wanted to find out some truths and form a decision for myself what this person is about, her motivations, her ideals and goals. And from there, how she continues to develop or degenerate.

I guess that's how different all this information sits between the two of us and that is perfectly OK. Having said that, you can't discount my knowledge just because it is doesn't serve a deeper reflection to you. Knowledge is knowledge, it is neutral. Yet, how others receive it speak more about themselves than the knowledge itself. As much as I am sharing in this forum, I can assure you i am observing x5 times more. I probably have a lot more dirt on the members here than what they care or remember to admit, haha.

So my critique of her is not just based on how popular she is, or even her recent statement. It is about everything she has done, reported to have done and what I can only imagine to be deep fear and incongruence in her life as she is aging. Of course, people change over time, she certainly has - but her motivations for staying relevant are becoming more and more unscrupulous, and I think it's just time for her to stop. There is a saying in the pop/music business:

"Better to leave while you are on top and leave your legacy intact, than drag it out to the bottom and leave your legacy in shreds."

Madonna is living proof of that. Her title used to inspire awe, now when you say Madonna, people are cringing. 

Edited by tomcat

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Guest Guest
8 minutes ago, tomcat said:

I also mentioned corrupted crooks in white and public health risks, but you ignore. My dear, cannot be too openly selective lah, your bias is showing and your logic is failing. luckily you are anonymous, cos it's getting a bit paiseh. 

Recently, I have also been discussing a lot of developments in space and on the ISS. Did you know there are bugs and bacteria on the space station that are not from this earth, eating the metal structure? That is soft disclosure of non-terrestrial alien life!

Meanwhile, Madonna is still whining about why people don't treat her like she is 20 anymore. Umm...

Popularity is one thing - to be kept as a talking point is part of the game for artists. But are they compliments or criticisms? Are they being lauded or laughed at?  That are two sides to this game of popularity - thankfully you also highlighted anonymous guest' lumping of Trump and Madonna - it makes no sense.

Essentially, what we discuss doesn't necessarily mean we are in love with it - sometimes it just needs to be said or talked about openly. I do tend to discuss things that are wrong or off-putting - because things that are right and going well deserve praise, not discourse. This was also lost on our dear guest - this is why I was reminded suddenly to talk about bugs, they are simple minded too!

The lore of Madonna is a great one. Even though she is a good 15 years before my time, I have keen interest in history and how things came to be the way they are. It's just the way I am. Because she has always beenheld up as the one instrumental figure to shape pop-music (she is not, by the way), I've done my research on her many many years ago: From her humble beginnings, life as failed dancer, restlessness and desire to prove everyone wrong, the loss of her mother, her catholicism, etc. Not because i am obsessed with her, but really because I wanted to find out some truths and form a decision for myself what this person is about, her motivations, her ideals and goals. And from there, how she continues to develop or degenerate.

I guess that's how different all this information sits between the two of us and that is perfectly OK. Having said that, you can't discount my knowledge just because it is doesn't serve a deeper reflection to you. Knowledge is knowledge, it is neutral. Yet, how others receive it speak more about themselves than the knowledge itself. As much as I am sharing in this forum, I can assure you i am observing x5 times more. I probably have a lot more dirt on the members here than what they care or remember to admit, haha.

So my critique of her is not just based on how popular she is, or even her recent statement. It is about everything she has done, reported to have done and what I can only imagine to be deep fear and incongruence in her life as she is aging. Of course, people change over time, she certainly has - but her motivations for staying relevant are becoming more and more unscrupulous, and I think it's just time for her to stop. There is a saying in the pop/music business:

"Better to leave while you are on top and leave your legacy intact, than drag it out to the bottom and leave your legacy in shreds."

Madonna is living proof of that. Her title used to inspire awe, now when you say Madonna, people are cringing. 

U too free lah. Write so long about a pop star and compare her to corrupted officlals and health risk...goes to show the power and influence of Madonna! All hail the Queen.

12 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

U too free lah. Write so long about a pop star and compare her to corrupted officlals and health risk...goes to show the power and influence of Madonna! All hail the Queen.

Haha, sorry but everything I do, I commit my time and focus to. If not, why do it? It is a type of weakness that people are lazy & continue to let themselves be lazy. Take that how you will. Ouch.

It's not a question of free time at all, but respect for myself and others - to make sure what I write makes sense. No sense, no self respect, that's you. 2nd Ouch

Also, you should be honoured someone is giving you some attention in this life, otherwise why would you be lurking anonymously in a forum, trying to stir shit.  3rd Ouch.

Lastly, I fail to inform you that as much as you'd like to think so, my response was for dear Steve who is a good conversationalist who I actually enjoy sharing discourses with. 

Your part was the short bit at the top where I compared you to a bug. Just in case, you a bit blur and confused on how to read things in a forum... 4th Ouch

Really, they let all kinds of people in here these days...all hail the Queen? For you, please start hailing higher education, you need it.  5th Ouch. 

See how nice it is when I don't write a post mentioning her - don't you love it when I just talk about YOU?  I give you 5 ouches for Friday!

By the way, I am typing this sitting on a toilet enjoying my morning shit - this is an easy past-time for me. Try not to take it too hard ya, HAHAHA.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

I am 46 years old this year. I was there when Madonna first launched her first album in 1983. I was 10 years old. I have seen Madonna's work and I have witnessed her personal life and professional life evolve.

I, as a gay man, have never understood why people think Madonna stood for us. In the 80s, she never once spoke up for us. That decade was the hardest for AIDS patients. She never spoke out against the Reagan administration. I know Elizabeth Taylor did. Ms Taylor was more a champion for AIDs patients than Madonna ever was during those bleak times. So to say she was a champion for gay rights for the get go, I have to strongly disagree.That was later, much much later, in the late 90s and 2000s.

Madonna has always been for herself and care only for one thing: Herself. She is a classic narcissist. 

She does anything and everything for the sake of seeking the limelight. If it is not broadcast for the world to say, you can bet your last dollar that she didn't do it.  But this is not what this thread is about. This thread is about her claim that she is not achieving the same level of success she once did, because of her age. She feels the industry, the media and even the listeners are discriminating against her because of her age, despite her sterling work. The work she has produced these past two albums has been commercial flops. Now maybe her concert ticket sales are still good but that's because concert ticket goers still want to see her perform her old tracks. For her new albums are not hitting the charts because she has lost her touch. She does not know how to make a hit single any more. 

1 hour ago, superflawless said:

I am 46 years old this year. I was there when Madonna first launched her first album in 1983. I was 10 years old. I have seen Madonna's work and I have witnessed her personal life and professional life evolve.

I, as a gay man, have never understood why people think Madonna stood for us. In the 80s, she never once spoke up for us. That decade was the hardest for AIDS patients. She never spoke out against the Reagan administration. I know Elizabeth Taylor did. Ms Taylor was more a champion for AIDs patients than Madonna ever was during those bleak times. So to say she was a champion for gay rights for the get go, I have to strongly disagree.That was later, much much later, in the late 90s and 2000s.

Madonna has always been for herself and care only for one thing: Herself. She is a classic narcissist. 

She does anything and everything for the sake of seeking the limelight. If it is not broadcast for the world to say, you can bet your last dollar that she didn't do it.  But this is not what this thread is about. This thread is about her claim that she is not achieving the same level of success she once did, because of her age. She feels the industry, the media and even the listeners are discriminating against her because of her age, despite her sterling work. The work she has produced these past two albums has been commercial flops. Now maybe her concert ticket sales are still good but that's because concert ticket goers still want to see her perform her old tracks. For her new albums are not hitting the charts because she has lost her touch. She does not know how to make a hit single any more. 

E X A C T L Y 

Thank you for your sharing, and also for your first hand recollection of what that zeitgeist represented.

I never understood that part of her "gay" icon status either, and actually that was the push for me as a teen to really try to understand this person, what she stood for, where she came from, why is she so important, and if it was just part of an artist's "myth-making".

Her modus operandi has always been to extract and anoint something  from the underground and make it cool. Then she can claim that she did it first, which is a deeply gross insinuation I always found disturbing. To put it in a different light, it could even be called exploitative - part of her myth as well for being so controversial.

Her mark on gay culture only really started with Vogue where she used the House Ball / Harlem Ballroom way of dance, which clicked off with the gay audience. That was it - everything else that came before did not resonate with the gays. 

Vogue was also helped slightly by the Dick Tracy movie, which I did see, and was like, Oh this is not a show for kids despite the cartoony characters. The plot for her character, which dwelt on "impossible love" was something similar to Moulin Rouge's Sateen. Someone who is forced to be discreet and covert in her love and affection, pushed to do unlikeable things, but harbouring her sincere love for the lead male. Sound familiar? *90s gay dilemma 101*

I think she was the most honest with Ray of Light, where Message, Music and Medium were congruent and cohesive. It felt and sounded like Art, and that was because she was really drawing upon something real - that was the beginning of her phase into spirituality. After having gathered the millions and success, she was still unhappy and she sought to find answers why.

Her path is that of a shared human struggle, and that made it an honest piece of work. The rest, I find was no longer aligned, and it slowly degenerated.

I saw some live footage also during one of her recent concert tours, how she was tried and unhappy doing it, but "mama gotta pay the bills". So like I have mentioned, and you have highlighted as well, her tours are the only thing generating income for her, and even then she only get a small small cut of it, after paying off all the parties involved, from lawyers, production, staff, crew, dancers etc

Her attempts to diversify her brand with books, gym, directorials, fashion, skincare, and create new income streams are also not working. She's been at that for years as well.

The lore of Madonna is so great, that it often bulldozes over the really obvious things. I hate to say it but In some ways, her fans are stuck in the past, just like her...

Edited by tomcat

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Guest Gues
2 hours ago, tomcat said:

E X A C T L Y 

Thank you for your sharing, and also for your first hand recollection of what that zeitgeist represented.

I never understood that part of her "gay" icon status either, and actually that was the push for me as a teen to really try to understand this person, what she stood for, where she came from, why is she so important, and if it was just part of an artist's "myth-making".

Her modus operandi has always been to extract and anoint something  from the underground and make it cool. Then she can claim that she did it first, which is a deeply gross insinuation I always found disturbing. To put it in a different light, it could even be called exploitative - part of her myth as well for being so controversial.

Her mark on gay culture only really started with Vogue where she used the House Ball / Harlem Ballroom way of dance, which clicked off with the gay audience. That was it - everything else that came before did not resonate with the gays. 

Vogue was also helped slightly by the Dick Tracy movie, which I did see, and was like, Oh this is not a show for kids despite the cartoony characters. The plot for her character, which dwelt on "impossible love" was something similar to Moulin Rouge's Sateen. Someone who is forced to be discreet and covert in her love and affection, pushed to do unlikeable things, but harbouring her sincere love for the lead male. Sound familiar? *90s gay dilemma 101*

I think she was the most honest with Ray of Light, where Message, Music and Medium were congruent and cohesive. It felt and sounded like Art, and that was because she was really drawing upon something real - that was the beginning of her phase into spirituality. After having gathered the millions and success, she was still unhappy and she sought to find answers why.

Her path is that of a shared human struggle, and that made it an honest piece of work. The rest, I find was no longer aligned, and it slowly degenerated.

I saw some live footage also during one of her recent concert tours, how she was tried and unhappy doing it, but "mama gotta pay the bills". So like I have mentioned, and you have highlighted as well, her tours are the only thing generating income for her, and even then she only get a small small cut of it, after paying off all the parties involved, from lawyers, production, staff, crew, dancers etc

Her attempts to diversify her brand with books, gym, directorials, fashion, skincare, and create new income streams are also not working. She's been at that for years as well.

The lore of Madonna is so great, that it often bulldozes over the really obvious things. I hate to say it but In some ways, her fans are stuck in the past, just like her...

You sound and think like a certain political party who wear white. You dun like her dun like lor, others cannot meh? So upset over a pop star? Nothing better to do?

I recognize that @tomcat and @superflawless you must have had a much wider experience with the life of Madonna than I have.  I only know her by reference, hearing of her here and there in the news and other places.  

I am also more on your side with other artists, like for example Elvis Presley "The King"...  I recognize that Elvis had a nice voice and sang intelligently. But I can only laugh at some opinions like: "Regarded as one of the most significant cultural icons of the 20th century".  His decay later in life was a tragedy, and he ended at 42 y.o.  Not a good role model!   Another example:  Liberace,  the "highest paid entertainer in the world" at his peak.  He played very well the piano, seemed to have been one-of-us, and died of AIDS. He was ridiculous but harmless, and I only recently started looking at some recordings about him,  quite hilarious :)

What I see that all these people have in common is that they are very ordinary folks, whom the arbitrary destiny put in positions of notoriety.  But...  isn't this always the case?  What has the Queen of England so special herself?  There is little to envy in all of them, fame and prestige can be a curse, and we should feel lucky to be out of the limelight.  And about justice?   Oh,  there are much stronger injustices around!

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Cleanly Teacher

I have to disagree with something from above. Madonna might not have been with gays "from the beginning" but she was definitely a supporter very early in her career. "Holiday" and "Lucky Star" and "Borderline" were her first really popular songs in 1983, followed by the smashing success of "Like A Virgin" in 1984, and "Vogue" was released in 1990. That was only six years after she became a superstar, and even at that time, she mentioned on MTV that she hired a lot of gay dancers and collaborated on songs with gay writers and musicians. You can say she wasn't vocal enough from a political perspective in the 1980s, but you can't say she wasn't supportive in other ways, as she obviously worked with many gay artists.

The other thing is that she didn't become a superstar until 1984, and it wasn't solidified that she wouldn't turn out to be a flash in the pan or one hit wonder until 1986, so she was still establishing herself for much the 1980s. Add in that the religious right and other conservatives were constantly criticizing her for having too much of a sexualized image, including the nude photos that Playboy rejected before she became famous, but quickly published after "Like A Virgin" became a hit, as well as some Catholic leaders slamming "Papa Don't Preach" by claiming she was encouraging teenage pregnancy, when she was really just describing the struggles those girls go through without offering commentary one way or another.

So with those people trying to bring her down just as she was finding success, I can see why she may not have publicly said much about AIDS in the 1980s, as she had a lot of other fires to put out. Elizabeth Taylor, by contrast, had been a movie star for more than 40 years by that point and her words carried a lot more weight than a young Madonna's could have done anyway. And as Madonna became more entrenched in her career, she began to speak out more openly, and give more visibility to her gay dancers and praise to her gay writers and musicians. I write this not as a fan of Madonna, because I agree she should be more mature at her age, but to put some context behind why she may not have spoken up earlier.

1 hour ago, Guest Cleanly Teacher said:

I have to disagree with something from above. Madonna might not have been with gays "from the beginning" but she was definitely a supporter very early in her career. "Holiday" and "Lucky Star" and "Borderline" were her first really popular songs in 1983, followed by the smashing success of "Like A Virgin" in 1984, and "Vogue" was released in 1990. That was only six years after she became a superstar, and even at that time, she mentioned on MTV that she hired a lot of gay dancers and collaborated on songs with gay writers and musicians. You can say she wasn't vocal enough from a political perspective in the 1980s, but you can't say she wasn't supportive in other ways, as she obviously worked with many gay artists.

The other thing is that she didn't become a superstar until 1984, and it wasn't solidified that she wouldn't turn out to be a flash in the pan or one hit wonder until 1986, so she was still establishing herself for much the 1980s. Add in that the religious right and other conservatives were constantly criticizing her for having too much of a sexualized image, including the nude photos that Playboy rejected before she became famous, but quickly published after "Like A Virgin" became a hit, as well as some Catholic leaders slamming "Papa Don't Preach" by claiming she was encouraging teenage pregnancy, when she was really just describing the struggles those girls go through without offering commentary one way or another.

So with those people trying to bring her down just as she was finding success, I can see why she may not have publicly said much about AIDS in the 1980s, as she had a lot of other fires to put out. Elizabeth Taylor, by contrast, had been a movie star for more than 40 years by that point and her words carried a lot more weight than a young Madonna's could have done anyway. And as Madonna became more entrenched in her career, she began to speak out more openly, and give more visibility to her gay dancers and praise to her gay writers and musicians. I write this not as a fan of Madonna, because I agree she should be more mature at her age, but to put some context behind why she may not have spoken up earlier.

I accept this comment by Guest Cleanly Teacher and I think that as gays we should hold Madonna in high esteem.  Besides her dedication, just the fact that she was and is FOR gays makes the crucial difference.  About Liberace, of whom I commented before,  I just watched a documentary about his life.  It is hard do imagine a person more kind and LESS EVIL than Liberace.   Yet he was... gay!  This should put to shame those sanctimonious who abuse and misinterpret the "Letter to the Romans" by st. Paul to claim that homosexuality is evil.  Especially abominable is the hate speech by the American Evangelicals,  like Jerry Falwell Jr. and other leaders  of the Religious Right that are poisoning the morality of some Americans.

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Sigh

It's this sort of off topic retorts that makes u look petty and shows how vindictive u are. Give yrself a break and just let go. 

If this is how a specific topic, on an online forum, in a little country can affect u. Can't imagine how u get thru yr real life. 

Way too much time and effort to spend here. 

On 5/10/2019 at 10:39 AM, tomcat said:

Haha, sorry but everything I do, I commit my time and focus to. If not, why do it? It is a type of weakness that people are lazy & continue to let themselves be lazy. Take that how you will. Ouch.

It's not a question of free time at all, but respect for myself and others - to make sure what I write makes sense. No sense, no self respect, that's you. 2nd Ouch

Also, you should be honoured someone is giving you some attention in this life, otherwise why would you be lurking anonymously in a forum, trying to stir shit.  3rd Ouch.

Lastly, I fail to inform you that as much as you'd like to think so, my response was for dear Steve who is a good conversationalist who I actually enjoy sharing discourses with. 

Your part was the short bit at the top where I compared you to a bug. Just in case, you a bit blur and confused on how to read things in a forum... 4th Ouch

Really, they let all kinds of people in here these days...all hail the Queen? For you, please start hailing higher education, you need it.  5th Ouch. 

See how nice it is when I don't write a post mentioning her - don't you love it when I just talk about YOU?  I give you 5 ouches for Friday!

By the way, I am typing this sitting on a toilet enjoying my morning shit - this is an easy past-time for me. Try not to take it too hard ya, HAHAHA.

Guest Cleanly Teacher

I should have written earlier that it wasn't solidified that Madonna wouldn't be a "two hit wonder" rather than a "one hit wonder" prior to 1986, since "Material Girl" went to Number 2 on the pop charts in the months right after 'Like A Virgin" went to Number 1, so 1984 was the year that established her as a bonafide superstar after proving she had Top 20 talent on the pop chart, and Top 5 talent on the dance chart, with her three big 1983 songs ("Holiday" / "Lucky Star" / "Borderline") plus "Burning Up" and the earlier "Everybody" in 1982.

"Crazy For You" from the wrestling movie "Vision Quest" where she plays a drifter who briefly befriends the main character's family went to Number 1 in 1985 but was still regarded by some critics as merely a soundtrack song. That's why many fans felt that the trio of "Live To Tell" / "Papa Don't Preach" / "Open Your Heart" all reaching Number 1 in 1986 proved her staying power and that she wasn't a flash in the pan. Another movie soundtrack song "Who's That Girl" which isn't really very memorable went to Number 1 in 1987 as well.

I think she started feeling more comfortable about speaking out on issues after finally establishing herself. As mentioned before, "Papa Don't Preach" deals with teenage pregnancy, but she really took things up another notch with "Like A Prayer" in 1989, which went to Number 1 despite angering more religious conservatives for depicting a Jesus type character in the music video with a black guy and suggesting an interracial relationship. "Oh Father" from the same album, which only made it up to Number 20, deals with child abuse.

"Vogue" was already pointed out as the moment when she started to publicly embrace her gay collaborators, dancers, and fans in 1990. Later that year, by the way, her video for "Justify My Love" was banned from MTV due to including scenes suggesting S&M and Bisexuality. She said when interviewed at the time on ABC: "Why is it that people are willing to go and watch a movie about someone getting blown to bits for no reason at all, and nobody wants to see two girls kissing, and two men snuggling?" That's definitely supportive.

Obviously she was already developing a reputation for controversy at the time, but she didn't "have to" make "Justify My Love" so inclusive of alternative lifestyles as people said back then, so the fact that she did so, albeit in the name of artistic expression, definitely helped bring more awareness and possibly acceptance of LGBTQ issues. And she hasn't stopped since then as I have seen several old DVDs of her talking about how she supports her gay dancers, writers, and musicians. She has definitely been an ally of the community.

• 3 months later...

Madonna adopts her favorite position, that will get men s heart beating faster.

She foegot to bleach the skin down there...........

Dior Snow to the rescue.

Any celebrity, no matter who, will have their supporters and detractors. 

If Madonna can continue to churn out great songs, by all means.

I have listened to the entirety of "Madame X" and it is not a good album. She is irrelevant.

I do not think she can be called the "Queen of Pop" any more since she hasn't had a huge hit (never mind a #1 hit song) in a long time.

Anyone can remember which song that was? 

"Give Me All Your Luvin'"?

7 hours ago, superflawless said:

Madonna's flop at Eurovision. You can see how pitchy she was.

Madonna Eurovision 2019 Autotune VS Reality

That's right!  Who wants to see the lead singer and a bunch of other people dressed in dark robes,  like some nuns?

The reason for having a musical video is to display nice young bodies with little clothes on.  The singing...  who cares?

"The singing...  who cares?"

Apparently, no one does too.

That's why Madame X flopped.

Week 1, #1.

By the third week, Madame X dropped out of Billboard200. LOL

I guess no one can remember when Madge's last big hit song was either. How the mighty have fallen ...

"Never bully anyone because Karma has everyone’s address and a motherf**king stamp!" Lady Gaga

Guest past is past
On 5/10/2019 at 10:00 AM, tomcat said:

But isn't it a general issue on the "youth" issue?

The problem with Madonna is that she only has a (in my eyes doubtful) voice and no other talent like playing an instrument.

Read it up, she began her professional career as a ballet dancer, and bumped into backup vocalist later on.

Madonna is the hype of a generation who focuses more on looks, show appearance instead of the musical talent.

If you look at her hits, the first single she released was written by her, but most other hits / songs were written by other songwriters.

The problem you face, once you are not a talented musical instrument player or have a good voice is that you are "out" much faster and then in addition you lost that "youth" and in your 60s try to pretend to be in your mid 20s. that just doesn't work any longer.

Regarding the musical talent, just take the Rolling Stones. The lead singers, guitarists wrote their own songs and did not need songwriters. There has been musical talent originated by being able to play an instrument or having outstanding vocals.

Madonna is just a thing of the past...

As video has killed the radio star, maybe new cinematographic videos have killed the outdated video stars? 

Guest past is past
18 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Being punished for turning 60 is nothing new  for the majority of us humans.

The punishment is even stronger when turning 80 and 90.

It is called nature.

Madonna has nothing new to complain about!

She did not learn what the term "re-branding" means.

You can't run the brand of a "youngster" when you are 60.

She stretched the youth factor for too long. What is she complaining? Just accept that you have to cease pretending to be young. But her whole show and life was branding her as a young (fake) blonde singer.

Madonna was excruciating: what we learned from Eurovision 2019

Madonna should have stayed at home

It wasn’t just that her vocals on Like A Prayer were pitchy. It wasn’t just that new song Future is lacklustre. But watching a pop icon of her stature having to endure Eurovision host chit-chat and stilted comedy based around an openly gay married man wanting to propose to her was excruciating.

Given the political flak – and being called a ‘total prostitute’ by Bobby Gillespie – that came with her decision to perform in Tel Aviv, Madonna must be questioning whether it was worth it.

Bless her guest star Quavo though, who in a brief interview with the hosts managed to insult Madonna’s age by pointing out his mum grew up listening to her, and made it quite clear he had absolutely no clue what he had landed himself in when he agreed to do Eurovision.

But, was Madonna’s Eurovision performance actually bad?

We’ve recruited Classic FM presenter and pro soprano, Catherine Bott, to help us unpack the controversial half-time set.

“I was interested to see the Madonna show because I'd seen reports that she sang flat/out of tune throughout her big number,” Catherine says.

“Not so – those constant tell-tale upward flicks in pitch before important notes told me that creative and deliberate use was being made of pitch modification software which in itself was perfectly fine, and her actual voice had more depth and texture than I was expecting”.

“For me the ‘horror’ of her performance was its banality. She clearly still thinks she's being transgressive – with all those robed, chanting figures, the gas-masks, our heroine prostrating herself like a Bride of Christ before revealing the traditional corset – but the production only achieved maximum tastelessness”.

Madonna's outfit, featuring a cloak, leather armour, fishnet tights and eye-patch, added to the attention-grabbing spectacle.

“Sorry”, our experienced soprano says, “but [Madonna’s performance] came across like the Lower Sixth Drama Soc's ‘controversial’ end of term show. She really should have grown out of trying to shock people by now.”

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.