Male HQ

Choosing between Car or Condo

rydajo

Hi I am not sure if this topic has ever been discussed before but if you were to work towards a goal would you choose to own a luxurious car (like those continental cars) or get 1-bedroom condo in central area (like District 09 or District 1 in Singapore)?

I know responses will be like it depends on your salary etc...but putting that aside which one will you guys work towards too?

Guest condo
12 minutes ago, rydajo said:

Hi I am not sure if this topic has ever been discussed before but if you were to work towards a goal would you choose to own a luxurious car (like those continental cars) or get 1-bedroom condo in central area (like District 09 or District 1 in Singapore)?

I know responses will be like it depends on your salary etc...but putting that aside which one will you guys work towards too?

condo appreciating assets. car depreciating assets.

17 minutes ago, rydajo said:

If you already have enough saving for down payment of a condo, go for it. Car is a useless liability.

Lots of hidden cost, insurance, road tax, parking, petrol and worst of all, you have to face all sorts of idiotic drivers on the road.

Taking grab or cab every day will still be way cheaper than owning a car. It feels good to have the vehicle, but at the end of the day, most singaporeans will not be in a situation where owning a car is a necessity.

11 hours ago, rydajo said:

Many have already warned about the liability of a car.  I want to address the "luxurious"

If you have to debate between a condo and a car,  it means that you are not a rich person.

Why should someone who is not rich care about luxurious?

You really want to impress others with luxury?  Isn't this better left to those who don't have other means to impress?

If you want the convenience of a car,  all you need are four wheels that move you to where you want to go.

Singapore is small, so I imagine that fuel economy is not a big issue. 

Same with performance,  if there are no places where you need to go from zero to 100km/h in a few seconds.

So, an inexpensive reliable car is all you need.  Maybe second hand?

1 bedroom apartment feels small. Why not a 4 rooms flat? More spacious. Can have friends over for a cook-out. Take cab instead (zero liability + cheaper). A more attainable goal means you feel less stressed and can enjoy life more. Stretch your money!

Guest Guest
14 hours ago, rydajo said:

Why cant we have both? In singapore, we work so hard and is so underpaid because of the influx of FTs that supressed our salaries? Only in singapore are we like 2nd class citizens! Why cannot we have big house and big car like people in other country where they work much lesser than us???? It is the greedy bosses that is laughing all the way to the bank and fatten up their already fat wallets!!! In other countries, even a fastfood worker is earning like $20 an hour! So a day, they earn $180! Or almost $6000 a month! 

Guest Guest

I hear this all the time: buying a condo is better than buying a car. OR if you have the money to buy a car, why not buy a condo?

The problem is this argument flawed. The 2 items are not apple to apple comparison:

(1) they serve diff purpose. Condo can be for staying and/or investment. Car is an expense, instead of taking bus, taxi, you pay a premium to travel.

(2)The money you have to buy a car is (likely) not enough to pay for condo down payment, not to mention the full price.

Guest gmale2068

If I have to choose between the two based on what have been given, then it will be the condo. Town district (I thought central district is Serangoon, Tao Payoh etc) is so convenient and accessible by MRT. It's better to work towards an investment on something that you can keep for at least 99 years than to have something guaranteed depreciating that you can keep for 10 years with extra and sometimes unexpected costs. With a place, you can even it rent out to earn some passive income.

Given a freer choice, I will choose neither. I opine to get a HDB first: that is something that we as Singaporeans should own. Then if you have spare cash and the capability, get a second private property for investment but keep the HDB.

Edited by gmale2068

Guest Guest
11 minutes ago, gmale2068 said:

If I have to choose between the two based on what have been given, then it will be the condo. Town district (I thought central district is Serangoon, Tao Payoh etc) is so convenient and accessible by MRT. It's better to work towards an investment on something that you can keep for at least 99 years than to have something guaranteed depreciating that you can keep for 10 years with extra and sometimes unexpected costs. With a place, you can even it rent out to earn some passive income.

Given a freer choice, I will choose neither. I opine to get a HDB first: that is something that we as Singaporeans should own. Then if you have spare cash and the capability, get a second private property for investment but keep the HDB.

Why get a hdb? You are basically leasing a flat from the government. Do note you have to return the flat after 99 years is up. What will happen than? You are just paying the government rent and fatten up their wallets! Thats why I prefer to rent a flat instead as I have the flexibility to do what I like and not be tied down and forced to work to my bare bones to be a slave to HDB. Another advise, if you rent, make sure thr landlord is a born and raised true blue singaporeans and I do not wish to fatten up the wallets of any FTs.

I dun understand how this 2 choices can be put side-by-side. Cos the price difference is too huge to even make a comparison. But I think it all depends on ur need most. A house is definitely for a longer term planning because u can still live without a car in Sg. But what can u do with a car if u dun have a shelter unless u planned to live in a car?

3 hours ago, tyan said:

I dun understand how this 2 choices can be put side-by-side. Cos the price difference is too huge to even make a comparison. But I think it all depends on ur need most. A house is definitely for a longer term planning because u can still live without a car in Sg. But what can u do with a car if u dun have a shelter unless u planned to live in a car?

A car repayment can take up to 10 yrs while a house can take up to 40 yrs. 

But I totally agree with u regarding TS s needs.

20 hours ago, rydajo said:

I will go for a condo.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Con Car Chng
21 hours ago, rydajo said:

would you choose to own a luxurious car (like those continental cars) or get 1-bedroom condo in central area (like District 09 or District 1 in Singapore)?

You are insulting a Condo.   If you got money, buy condo for a restful 24/7 comfort zone. If no money than buy a car to give you the temporary pleasure of moving around.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.