Male HQ

Yong Tau Foo

Yong Tao Fu... got two styles...

got the typical type you see at most food courts... white fishball type meat stuffed in vegetables, and other bean based stuff and clear soup, red and pink sweet sauce, chilli sauce, option for dry, wet, curry...

the other type is the Ampang type... dark sauce with almost same things, but done differently. also have the beehoon. noodles, or hor fun option...

Ampang type got two very nice (in my taste buds la) places to eat.

(1) Geylang Road, near the Ubi CC

(2) Simpang Bedok Market on the upper level.

can go check them out.... those who like those YUMMY pork knuckles, chinese style... shud go the Bedok one...

NOT FOR THE HEALTH FREAKS... UNLESS YOU WANT TO DIE INSTANTLY FROM LARD OVERDOSE... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Try the one at Simpang Bedok Market... upper level...

Use that one to benchmark the rest... if there are others 'better' I would really like to try... haha

make sure you order the trotters if they are available... that one is heavenly... or devilishly delicious... haha

oh-oh.... you used the A word....

personally i have not remembered trying out KL style yong tau fu... so i have no benchmark to compare the taste at KL vs the taste here...

but what i tasted here and impressed me were the one in Geylang Road opposite the Ubi CC, and the one at Simpang Bedok Market upper level.

perhaps you can try those out and see how far they are from your KL style... Please let us have your views after you tried...

looking forward to your views...

• 1 month later...
Yong Tao Fu... got two styles...

got the typical type you see at most food courts... ... ... the other type is the Ampang type...

Don't forget the Hakka Yong Tau Foo.... :B)

or is Hakka YTF and Ampang YTF the same :blink: haha

Edited by jazz

I have yet to eat the authentic Ampang Yong Tau Foo in S'pore. Really nothing here can be equal to the one in KL :clap:

Can someone show me there is one here?

Try the one along East Coast Road.... seems quite popular...

Some other stalls are listed here:

http://www.goodfood.sg/yong_tau_foo

However, the list may not be updated.... eg Xiu Ji Ikan Bilis Yong Tau Fu have moved back to Smith Street as the renovation is completed. No longer at the temporarily market.

YTH.jpg

Tucked away in a corner coffeeshop at Bedok North Street 2 Block 123 is this little known Yong Tau Foo Stall. I discovered this Yong Tau Foo Stall when I dropped by there for lunch after doing some volunteering work sending an NKF patient back to her home in Bedok North a few month ago. At a normal glance, it looked just like any other Yong Tau Foo Stall in Singapore serving the usual Yong Tau Foo items and Curry Yong Tau Foo. However, it's the presentation of the food plus the quality of the food at the unbelievable normal coffee shop price that impressed me.

YongTauHu.jpg

With an order number tag issued to me while sitting at my table, I was expecting my Yong Tau Foo items to be lumped altogether in one bowl when it arrived. However, I was pleasantly surprised when it was served to me in 3 separate plates and bowls. The fried food items are dished out in a different plate thoughtfully by them while the soupy items are dished together in another bowl. Not forgetting the dried bee hoon that I ordered are unbelievably extra fine and soft to the taste buds.

The fried wontons and other fried items such as you tiao (dough fritters) were re-fried again to give them an extra crispyness and with a dash of chilli and sweet sauce to it, they simply crumbles in your mouth deliciously. The price of the above bowl of Yong Tau Foo which I ordered was only $3.50!

Ratings:-

Ambience - 6 out of 10 (coffee shop what!)

Food - 8 out of 10

Price - 8 out of 10

Edited by LupCheong

• 10 years later...
On 6/7/2008 at 2:42 AM, Baloo said:

Try the one at Simpang Bedok Market... upper level...

Use that one to benchmark the rest... if there are others 'better' I would really like to try... haha

make sure you order the trotters if they are available... that one is heavenly... or devilishly delicious... haha

I think Lao Niang inside North Bridge Road market is much better and in imho the best in Singapore.  But they open for business like 3 or days a week only so check opening hours before going down.

Suck my tits and I'll lick your balls.

Lick my arse and I'll suck your cock.

All in sex is fair.

The only bad thing about sex is that it doesn't last long enough.

Read my blog - www.anasianjourney.blogspot.com

The upper thomson road ampang ytf is from the old nee soon market.  they used to be across the canal from its current location.  eaten their ytf since i was a small boy in  the 60s.  standard has dropped tremendously, i no longer eat there now.

All in sex is fair.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, No Frills Factory Outlet said:

everywhere i feel all machine made nowadays ...

but i rem seeing some of my fav stores, really made their own paste and then cupped/fold it into their products
(of course they may have made use a grinder machine to create their paste)

Edited by lovehandle

• 5 months later...
On 6/6/2008 at 5:29 PM, Ferrari said:

Passed by Upper Thomson Road just now and saw a Yong Tau Foo coffee shop near Ngee Soon Camp.....Was it Chong Pang Yong Tau Foo or may be not..

Any comments as I would like to try?

That should be the famous Ngee Fou Ampang Yong Tau Foo which used to operate from the opposite side of the canal in the 60s-70s.  My family has been patronising this stall when the father used to man the stall.  Back then, they were the BIG star of YTF.  Now a 2nd stall (similar in style) has opened right next door by what is said to be a relative. 

All in sex is fair.

12 minutes ago, Firday said:

lately i try the stall at chinatown point hawker centre, ground floor facing the shophouse,

unique :

u decide your portion of sauce.

combo set

price is reasonable

ps  : first try wasn't to my liking but re attempts again

is it Ex??? no address?

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2019 at 9:57 AM, kimlo777 said:

That should be the famous Ngee Fou Ampang Yong Tau Foo which used to operate from the opposite side of the canal in the 60s-70s.  My family has been patronising this stall when the father used to man the stall.  Back then, they were the BIG star of YTF.  Now a 2nd stall (similar in style) has opened right next door by what is said to be a relative. 

The owner of Ngee Fou Ampang YTF passed away.  The wake is held at the shophouse so business is expected to be closed at least for the next couple of day.  Unfortunately I don't have more details like when they will re-open for business.

All in sex is fair.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.