Male HQ

Any weight losing advice?

EndlessDream

Is there any one who has successfully managed to lose weight from 30 BMI to the normal range and can give advice on what to focus on/avoid?

My current height is 176-177, current weight is 91, 24 year old. Have been overweight for as far as the health booklet goes. Entered army at 99.5, left BMT at 83. After about 1 year in army, started to gain weight after surgery till current weight. 

I jog(60%)/walk(40%) about 2km at night about 6-8 times in a month. Goes to gym every thursday (does treadmil, cycle, stairs, pull-down bar and other arms machines). Recently tried hiking around macritchie reservoir.

Though, i spend around 80% of the time in bed when I don't go out (laptop on the bed).

Can anyone with experience share your advice about what I can do/should do/should avoid/food to eat/avoid etc?

Thank you!!

Edited by EndlessDream
Update past weight

7 hours ago, EndlessDream said:

Is there any one who has successfully managed to lose weight from 30 BMI to the normal range and can give advice on what to focus on/avoid?

My current height is 176-177, current weight is 91, 24 year old. Have been overweight for as far as the health booklet goes. Entered army at 99.5, left BMT at 83. After about 1 year in army, started to gain weight after surgery till current weight. 

I jog(60%)/walk(40%) about 2km at night about 6-8 times in a month. Goes to gym every thursday (does treadmil, cycle, stairs, pull-down bar and other arms machines). Recently tried hiking around macritchie reservoir.

Though, i spend around 80% of the time in bed when I don't go out (laptop on the bed).

Can anyone with experience share your advice about what I can do/should do/should avoid/food to eat/avoid etc?

Thank you!!

Eat lesser.

80% diet, 20% exercise for losing weight. Of course more muscle will help you to lose weight. 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 1:01 AM, fab said:

Eat lesser.

80% diet, 20% exercise for losing weight. Of course more muscle will help you to lose weight. 

Good advice.  And don't wait !!!  At 24 y.o. you are still on time to reverse the adaptation of your body to the need of much food.

On 5/23/2019 at 5:24 PM, EndlessDream said:

IMy current height is 176-177, current weight is 91, 24 year old. Have been overweight for as far as the health booklet goes. Entered army at 99.5, left BMT at 83. After about 1 year in army, started to gain weight after surgery till current weight. 

Are you sick?  Because if not, the time you should spend in bed is 8 hours at night, and no more.  To use the computer, sit at a desk or stand at a higher desk.

You should use the gym at least twice a week.  You don't list any leg exercises, which are very important.  Do heavy squats, deadlifts, lounges, calf lifts, stiffed-legged deadlifts for the legs.  Do crunches or other good exercises for the muscles of your core.  

DON'T WAIT,  and get back in shape while in your 20s.  Losing the right amount of weight becomes increasingly difficult, and it is nearly impossible in middle age.

Good to hear that you want to take charge of your health.

First of all you must understand that weight loss is not a one time thing. It is a lifestyle. You must start with the mentality of wanting to change your lifestyle for the long term rather than  to lose weight now only to go back to your back habits later.

I have struggled with my weight several times in my life. I was a chubby kid and i was never sporty or athletic. And it doesn't help that i love to eat. So i had lost and gained weight several times in my life. That is why i say it is something that you need to take charge of and do it in the long run.

Let me break it down to you what worked for me personally and also what works medically as well, as i advise the same for my patients.

Diet is 80%. Exercise is 20%

@Fab is right, food is the most important aspect you need to change in order to lose weight.

Diet:

Cut out or reduce the following:

- fast food like mcdonalds, KFC etc.

- processed foods

- oily food

- processed starch like noodles, rice, bread. Can eat but cut down 

Eat more of the following

- fruits. But don't take very sweet fruits like mango, lychee and durian is not a fruit

- vegetables. Salads are best. Fried vegetables try to avoid

Make sure to eat lean protein in all your meals

- chicken or fish

- yoghurt

- plan based proteins

Keep a food diary to record what you eat and also take note of the type off food so you can be mindful of what goes in

Exercise:

You're still young so i would highly encourage you to exercise 3-5 times a week.

Start with something simple and work your way up

Exercise and lean protein is very important for you to build muscle so must be consistent.

Monitor your weight and if possible body fat composition every week

So get off your bed and start taking action!

All the best!

Guest Sport-coholic
3 minutes ago, bluerunner said:

While most people are fighting hard to lose the extra pound, I’m hoping to gain some extra pounds. Don’t hate me. 

Not been eating more religiously. Sigh. 

Same. I'm trying to gain a bit too.

12 hours ago, bluerunner said:

While most people are fighting hard to lose the extra pound, I’m hoping to gain some extra pounds. Don’t hate me. 

Not been eating more religiously. Sigh. 

12 hours ago, bluerunner said:

Need to eat and eat and EAT religiously. 

I have problem with this. I cannot sustain my eating pattern when I’m at work. 

Many of us have had to deal with the same issues.

If your work schedule allows it and you have refrigerator and microwave at work,  prepare SIMPLE food in the morning to take to work.  Prepare a good breakfast to eat before work.   

If food is sufficient but still no weight gain, then realize that a healthy body is good at regulating its size. It may not be wise to force it to gain weight with lots of food.  

It is better to work out lifting weights so as to stimulate muscles to grow,

and as muscles grow and there is sufficient nutrition the body automatically will add the weight of the additional muscles and ligaments. 

Sometimes I feel weight is being used unhealthily as a gauge of health. It is just only been socially implanted to peoples brain that to be healthy is to be so called "acceptable weight" in terms of BMI. To me as long you are living a healthy lifestyle it should be sufficient.

If you really want to chase back your Tekong body, the only way is to go through Tekong again. How in a normal person's life they are able to workout from day to night as though they are still in their PTP phase (assuming you are in Obese batch)?

As a fellow big guy my small advice to you is, don't push yourself too hard in terms of getting to the "healthy range" but more on getting your body to a "healthy mode". Like how the people above been saying, you are young and still have strong metabolic rates. If you are able to get your 80% nutrition and 20% workout done you ought to be in the right track.

P.S. don't do so much on cardio only. Lift some weights and pump some muscles, more muscles help burn fats.

• 3 years later...

Where could you serve only 1 year? Usually guys stay for 2-3 years if not even a contract. What unit were you in? Okay, let's talk about weight. If you gained weight and then lost it, it's a problem with your diet. I once saw a doctor who prescribed gml apeti pills near me. They need them for weight gain. Since then I eat all the time but always at the same time. If you need to lose weight, you can try to eat only healthy foods, at the same time, exercise.

Edited by Greenther

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.