Male HQ

Which phone brand and model do you recommend? And why?

I thought of buying Huawei P30 Pro but luckily I did not because of the recent saga.

Is there anyone using Google Pixel 3? Do they have a service center in Singapore? If not, where do you get help if repair is required?

21 hours ago, kidster said:

I thought of buying Huawei P30 Pro but luckily I did not because of the recent saga.

Is there anyone using Google Pixel 3? Do they have a service center in Singapore? If not, where do you get help if repair is required?

It's basically Apple vs Others.

Eliminate the choice of whether you like/want to use Apple first.

If you do not, then you can consider the Others.

Guest Guest

Apple is really getting shitty, their latest ios update made my new ipadpro lag and freeze like crazy I had to roll back and its not the first time. Battery meter is ridiculously way off, and switches off my phone at 45%. And now the latest from money grabbing Apple is a monitor stand retailing at ~$1400???? WTF? Its just a friggin' STAND!

Quite unfortunate Huawei is facing this crisis, I'm using their phone as well and its performing really well, battery life is solid, definitely way better than Apple.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:53 PM, kidster said:

I heard some phones can install 2 WhatsApp, 2 LINE, 2 Telegram. How does that work?

This works only when your  phone has two SIM card slot. My Samsung Note 8 has 2 SIM card slot and have 2 mobile number in 1 phone. One number for work and another for personal usage. No need to carry two phones.:)

1 hour ago, fuzzy said:

This works only when your  phone has two SIM card slot. My Samsung Note 8 has 2 SIM card slot and have 2 mobile number in 1 phone. One number for work and another for personal usage. No need to carry two phones.:)

That solves the mystery. Thanks.

I need a phone with

1. big screen phone
  2. good camera
  3. 2 SIM cards
  4. Cheap price.
  5. Don't care about other features.

Any recommendations?

Exclusion list:

1. Samsung - history of explosion
  2. Apple - quality drops after Steve passed on
  3. Huawei - My first choice but involve in a drama now
  4. XiaoMi and Oneplus - Might be dragged into the drama.

Guest Guest

@kidster

wah, u excluded most phones le. lol
u cld consider htc?

had been using this taiwan brand since e start of smart phone era, but stopped when telcos not selling anymore recent mths. still can buy from shops or online (qoo10 etc).

u go htc website to see latest models (of cos more expensive, slightly older models but new r more affordable), check their specs (mostly dual sim), then see what shop/online sells it.

i wld go for htc still, if telcos still selling them. haiz

Deep down, I think the Huawei saga is more of a leverage than anything. Though if Google support does gets killed, good luck running local apps like grab, mytransport etc. Imagine how many app developer will make the effort to allow you to use some China map instead of catering to the other non-affected users.

I recently dived into a Samsung a10, came out in 2019 for $170 (online $130). Nowadays don't have exploding battery already lah, plus those batteries also made in china, oops. Pretty good UI, you can swipe down anywhere to get the top bar, swipe up for apps screen. Have dual SIM, one active, one passive. That's where the dual app comes in, for each SIM. Separate SD card slot if that's your thing. Downsides, had to immediately trade in because it only have the 2.4Ghz WiFi antenna. A20 also same, only A30 and above got the 5Ghz antenna. So cheap most likely won't have, all antennas, radio, 2nd sim/SD slot. Samsung 3GB ram runs faster than the oppo AX5s 4GB ram that I have, and this oppo runs battery saving mode so well that you don't get notification from background apps like Grindr, etc where you have to lock the apps in the background everytime after you close it. And 30grams for an 30 mins usage is pretty heavy. Default sounds and background that comes with the phone also pretty hard for the ears. Really can't complain with such a price and specs.

Nowadays all phones went to the teardrop camera without the led notification.

Guest Orange

Don’t buy Iphone for sure. Up till now, every few iOS updates screws up Bluetooth, wifi, volume, battery and what not, and these are not even new problems that mar every day use experience. I’ve used other phones and they don’t even have these recurring problems. Apple updates is really like a box of chocolates, u really never know what you’re gonna get.

On 6/11/2019 at 7:13 PM, keyboard said:

Deep down, I think the Huawei saga is more of a leverage than anything. Though if Google support does gets killed, good luck running local apps like grab, mytransport etc. Imagine how many app developer will make the effort to allow you to use some China map instead of catering to the other non-affected users.

I recently dived into a Samsung a10, came out in 2019 for $170 (online $130). Nowadays don't have exploding battery already lah, plus those batteries also made in china, oops. Pretty good UI, you can swipe down anywhere to get the top bar, swipe up for apps screen. Have dual SIM, one active, one passive. That's where the dual app comes in, for each SIM. Separate SD card slot if that's your thing. Downsides, had to immediately trade in because it only have the 2.4Ghz WiFi antenna. A20 also same, only A30 and above got the 5Ghz antenna. So cheap most likely won't have, all antennas, radio, 2nd sim/SD slot. Samsung 3GB ram runs faster than the oppo AX5s 4GB ram that I have, and this oppo runs battery saving mode so well that you don't get notification from background apps like Grindr, etc where you have to lock the apps in the background everytime after you close it. And 30grams for an 30 mins usage is pretty heavy. Default sounds and background that comes with the phone also pretty hard for the ears. Really can't complain with such a price and specs.

Nowadays all phones went to the teardrop camera without the led notification.

Samsung A series is not bad. Lower end of the S and Noted series and cheaper. 

What do you think of Google Pixel Pro 3?

22 hours ago, kidster said:

Samsung A series is not bad. Lower end of the S and Noted series and cheaper. 

What do you think of Google Pixel Pro 3?

What is your budget? Like you said, if camera is most important to you, then it's only the OnePlus or Pixel which boasts the best in-class. Today got news leaking the specs for pixel 4. There's one phone that have like 3 or 4 cameras at the back right. HWZ also have like 250 page of reviews for pixel 3. Just a few months later, a better phone will come out anyway.

I just remembered today that a "big" difference is that higher end phones uses USB C instead of micro and no longer have a 3.5mm jack. Fast charging if you are always on the go type.

On 6/13/2019 at 7:02 PM, keyboard said:

What is your budget? Like you said, if camera is most important to you, then it's only the OnePlus or Pixel which boasts the best in-class. Today got news leaking the specs for pixel 4. There's one phone that have like 3 or 4 cameras at the back right. HWZ also have like 250 page of reviews for pixel 3. Just a few months later, a better phone will come out anyway.

I just remembered today that a "big" difference is that higher end phones uses USB C instead of micro and no longer have a 3.5mm jack. Fast charging if you are always on the go type.

Yes, I'm always on the move. Updated specs. Removed Samsung from the exclusive list. Haha

I need a phone with

1. big screen phone
  2. good camera
  3. 2 SIM cards
  4. Cheap price.($800 or below)
  5. Don't care about other features.
  6. Fast chagrining, USB C

Any recommendations?

Exclusion list:

1. Apple - quality drops after Steve passed on
  2. Huawei - My first choice but involve in a drama now
  3. XiaoMi and Oneplus - Might be dragged into the drama.

Think for your price range, pretty much left with pixel 3a XL. Pixel 3 already 945$ with $300 discount till 16th June 2019. Pixel 4 that is already revealed have a square camera think 3 or 4 thingy but will be in the above 1k price.

If you know you won't be using Google apps or related, why not go with your preferred Huawei? Should still be able to use browser to view Gmail etc.

8 hours ago, keyboard said:

Think for your price range, pretty much left with pixel 3a XL. Pixel 3 already 945$ with $300 discount till 16th June 2019. Pixel 4 that is already revealed have a square camera think 3 or 4 thingy but will be in the above 1k price.

If you know you won't be using Google apps or related, why not go with your preferred Huawei? Should still be able to use browser to view Gmail etc.

My life is dependent on Gmail and Google Maps. Cannot! haha

I hate buying phones. I don't know why some people love to change phones every 2 years even before the contract ends.

If I don't want Pixel 3a XL and Huawei, I think Samsung A series is my next best solution right?

12 hours ago, kidster said:

I hate buying phones. I don't know why some people love to change phones every 2 years even before the contract ends.

If I don't want Pixel 3a XL and Huawei, I think Samsung A series is my next best solution right?

Yea, I also hate buying phones. I have my blackberry for 4-5 years till I really needed Grab for work which relies on Google maps to finally buy this phone. I was running on a 1800mAh battery that lasts only 5 hours to a 4000mAh now that lasts 2+ days. If you're willing to spend money, new phones come out every few months (every year so many brands/model) phones come out. By the time you buy your phone, all phones are going to the square camera format and you're considered obselete by september this year.

I'm on prepaid, so phone costs are fully beared by me. For contracts, you are technically paying installment for the phone you get at a discounted price, thus not getting a new phone at 21 months means you're paying extra interest for the monthly subscription, if you haven't already noticed it.

Samsung is the more reliable brand. There's also Sony, HTC, lg even blackberry Android phones out there, but if you're with contract, you kinda are already limited with what you can get. Also wanted to ask, how would you define a good camera. Pixel have a lower end camera but uses software to create the best picture. Note that China brands tend to have "bigger" screens but at lower resolution and like my current phone, basically it's an odd ratio that the sides are technically black bars unless you stretch the screen and the lower quality pixels per inch means less sharp colours and clarity. Kinda what you pay for is what you get.

I'll be honest, I don't like my current phone.

3 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

So cheap

Phones have always existed in different price points for different target market. It's really a matter of hardware slapped together with glue, or something more refined at a premium.

Samsung A10 is only $130 with 3GB Ram and 32GB HDD. Just no trade-in value.

On 6/16/2019 at 3:21 PM, keyboard said:

Yea, I also hate buying phones. I have my blackberry for 4-5 years till I really needed Grab for work which relies on Google maps to finally buy this phone. I was running on a 1800mAh battery that lasts only 5 hours to a 4000mAh now that lasts 2+ days. If you're willing to spend money, new phones come out every few months (every year so many brands/model) phones come out. By the time you buy your phone, all phones are going to the square camera format and you're considered obselete by september this year.

I'm on prepaid, so phone costs are fully beared by me. For contracts, you are technically paying installment for the phone you get at a discounted price, thus not getting a new phone at 21 months means you're paying extra interest for the monthly subscription, if you haven't already noticed it.

Samsung is the more reliable brand. There's also Sony, HTC, lg even blackberry Android phones out there, but if you're with contract, you kinda are already limited with what you can get. Also wanted to ask, how would you define a good camera. Pixel have a lower end camera but uses software to create the best picture. Note that China brands tend to have "bigger" screens but at lower resolution and like my current phone, basically it's an odd ratio that the sides are technically black bars unless you stretch the screen and the lower quality pixels per inch means less sharp colours and clarity. Kinda what you pay for is what you get.

I'll be honest, I don't like my current phone.

Actually my only use for the camera is to take photos of powerpoint slides at conferences or seminars.

I hate it when I can't take a clear pic of it. I have to seat at the last row because I don't want people behind me to see what I'm working on on my laptop. That's the reason of wanting a phone with a good camera.

I recall Samsung has J series but I think they stop this series.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/companies-to-watch-ge-tgt-goog-sne-t-163152472.html

Bad news from the horse mouth. Thanks the CEO for being honest.

Guest Cleanly Teacher

I'm one of those people who hates that almost all phones are now becoming too big to fit in your pocket. After three years, I'm still using an Asus Zenfone 3 Max because a 5.2" is the upper limit of my tolerance, and I've gotten too accustomed to the interface to change (although I know change is inevitable). I also like the LG K11 Plus, although I don't understand either company's strategy of releasing multiple phones in the same year with similar specs, but just slightly change one thing here or there like the battery size, camera megapixels, storage, etc.

To be honest, I still feel 4.5" phones are the perfect size for beginners, as well as those who really wish to keep it in their pocket when not using. I wish one of the companies would adopt a marketing strategy of releasing three phones per year -- 4.5" for beginners with their lowest specs, 5.5" for midrange users with middle specs, and 6.5" for advanced users with their highest specs -- and each year incrementally advance things like battery size and camera megapixels accordingly in each model. Companies like Samsung are horrifically oversaturated.

One thing I will always refuse to do is buy any PRC phones, so Huawei, Meizu, Oppo, Vivo, ZTE, and all the rest are out. Nothing they can say or do will win me over. I'm also not an Apple fan and will not buy an iAnything. Go ahead and call me closed-minded, but I don't care, and nothing anybody can say will ever make me change my opinion on this issue. Nor do I really have much confidence in Google since they are so new to the phone market. Sony and Nokia have some potential but their model releases are inconsistent and always have rough edges.

18 hours ago, kidster said:

Actually my only use for the camera is to take photos of powerpoint slides at conferences or seminars.

I hate it when I can't take a clear pic of it.

Actually this requirement alone already limited what phones you can get. Most phones with single camera cannot take far distance. The focal length is short (imagine the distance to take a single person photo). To reach seminar focal length, you need the 2nd camera that have a much longer focal length (the longer the more expensive). Then the software can do it's magic to improve the colour and saturation and low light condition.

3 hours ago, keyboard said:

Actually this requirement alone already limited what phones you can get. Most phones with single camera cannot take far distance. The focal length is short (imagine the distance to take a single person photo). To reach seminar focal length, you need the 2nd camera that have a much longer focal length (the longer the more expensive). Then the software can do it's magic to improve the colour and saturation and low light condition.

So must buy a phone with 2 cameras? Which models have 2 cameras?

Do you run a hp shop? How come you know so much? Haha

Samsung cust officer: 

With these features, I highly recommend our latest A70 model. It has 6.7" Full HD+ Super Amoled Screen display with Super Fast-Charging Battery with a large capacity of 4500mAh.

It has a DUAL SIM Slot that allows you to use 2 SIMs. Plus, this has Triple Rear Camera with up to 32MP enough to capture perfect moments like a Pro.

By the way, the A70 is offered for only SGD498.00.

Next option will be our Flagship models like the Note9 or the S10+variants.

Thanks everyone. I have decided on A70.

Am running iPhone XS Max now since it was partially co-paid / gift from someone. (I also use it to send work emails when I am too busy to get on the notebook)

I dislike the extremely large screen and also the disparity when playing games in full screen, there's an obvious chunk that either is eaten away, or being compensated by extra empty space to fit the chunk where the front camera and sensors are.

If I could get a phone right now I probably get pixel 3a cuz even if it's mid range, there's no "notch". 

Also it's way cheaper for my usage, except playing games might see some performance loss. 

Speaking loudly, suffers softly. Smiles so wide, cuts unseen inside.

Bitin' the bullet, but never kick the bucket.

On 6/25/2019 at 4:45 PM, kidster said:

Samsung is coming up with M series but it's not available in Sg yet.

On 6/25/2019 at 4:57 PM, kidster said:

I have decided on A70.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-06-29/trump-says-he-ll-allow-china-s-huawei-to-buy-from-u-s-suppliers

There you go, bringing China back to the negotiation table.

I'm not sure about buying a product marketed for a different market. Certain products are adjusted, flavours, ingredients, content, percentage, parts etc to cater to the price point, which doesn't necessarily means it's any good for you. Like how China phones only kinda need to cater to WeChat, so you live with "acceptable" apps outside of their ecosystem.

Glad you made a good choice.

Does anyone know how to transfer files over home WiFi between phone and laptop? Must download AirDroid on both devices? Asking because my blackberry could do this natively by just enabling sharing over WiFi and it becomes a network drive. USB doesn't work because my laptop is still running vista and can't detect the phone.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely iPhone! As for the model I would say go for either X or XS for regular screen users - but those prefer bigger screens can go for XS Max!

"A life spent not doing the things you love is not a life worth living"

• 1 year later...

Okay, I am still out of work ( my employer drop a bomb that it might be Jan 2021 to go back to work) heheh so I am like too free and need to practice more typing and share my POV

The MAIN FUNCTIONALITY of a mobile phone has been reached and surpassed. Believe it or not. The phone is now not about that depending on who you are as a person and attempting to show the world your so-called status, savvy, fanboi, tech whiz, cool, wealthy...etc all the usual superlatives.

The thing to ask for the practical person (be rich or average) is what you want to do with it?

I am a phone enthusiast since the first "tai kor tai" Brick Motorola all the way to their Razer phone years later. No I did not touch the iPhones. ( Same reason I stuck to PCs and not Mac even for design work) switch between a few Samsung, 3 Sony's Xperia ending with the first water resistance (great for mountain biking lock on handlebar) and then, Razer's first gaming mobile phone. After that I stopped changing every year. It was getting generic. I am a Hi-Card user for 20 yrs so ya, I pay full price for all my phones. No installment or contract to bring the price down. Who can tell just looking at me using the phone to know I paid full price? Because I love the tech of phones... being a tech geeks still in my 50s. I witnessed the birth of mobile phones, internet and home computer tech. Amazing time to be around.

Now, still using my Huawei P30 Pro (my 1st Huawei) today. Bought on day #1, it hit the shelf. Great features for its price. It does what it does well enough STILL. Battery life is still more than I need.

Android or iOS? This depends a lot on you as a user. If you have been in the iPhone ecosystem for a long time and not interested in the tech to explore or re-learn, stick to what you are more used to avoid relearning how to use it and tweak the phone. I enjoy complexity and the Android gives me much to explore and tweak. I had a iPad 1 so it is not too far off from the phone. Once you learn it, they are all about the same iPad or iPhone. But the iOS means you are stuck to it if you want to do more with it compared to an Android. Your choice.

I am an avid photographer so will this phone or even iPhone beat my Nikon Pro system? No bloody way.

On the subject of photos or video, ask yourself. Does more megapixel make sense to you. Bigger file sizes are what you get if you want to get the mobile with the best lens and resolution. How often do you see those photos once you shoot them? Bigger file means bigger backup HDD or cloud size and takes a lot of data bandwidth to upload. How often you edit your photos? If you end up lowering the megapixel to capture lower res photos, then why would you need the best camera hardware?

No earphone jack? In 2020, I have no issue with that at all. Using Bluetooth attached to my truly wireless Sennheiser Momentum for full freedom from wires. Awesome sound playing FLAC music.

Does WhatsApp or LINE works and look better on an iPhone or any other phone? Nope. All the same.  If phone system goes down, all phones also can not work WhatsApp and other APPs.

I rather watch YouTube, Facebook..etc on my ultra-wide PC screen than my phone. Might change if I get Microsoft Duo new folding phone or the Samsung Fold 2 but that's more about me being a 'first-new-tech-adopter'. Plus I use reading glasses so I like big screens. :P Plus I hate typing on mobile phone. Clumsy fingers. True, not any better on PC judging by my horrible typos and long hand heheh.. sorry.

For phone calls, I hardly get them as many people default to WhatsApp for communication at work and leisure. And if I do, is anyone phone model better than the other by much? Nope. Bluetooth earplug do a good job for hands-free calls if I need to. If the phone can be heard without earplugs for you, even better.

Phone flashing. I see social animals spotting iPhones from old to new models. (Catching up, Samsung owners doing the same too) I see wealthy people using it. But I also see lower income folks spotting iPhone too. Lots more in fact. How would it really boost social status flashing one in 2020? I don't see it. (In your mind you might.) :P Is the iPhone 'TECHNICALLY" a good phone? Yes it is. But so are the rest.

I see it more as an 'emotional want' than a marvel at the tech inside when I see people buy phones. I am not commenting for those people. Their choice is made. I am writing for those not chasing 'image'. For those who want context.

Back in the early days, answering a mobile call on a Brick Phone, people around you turn and look at you. A rarity today. Too common and easy to afford today as a tool. In 2020, we are more irritated by the fact another inconsiderate gazing into their phone like a zombie walking into you or a lamp post. :) Or couples dinning and both not looking into each other's eyes but each into their mobiles. Has mobile made us more or less sociable, I wonder. But that's another topic.

The overall technology is 'about' on par for all the top brands and surprise surprise (price for price) , the lesser known brands are just as hungry to offer you all those same functions but cheaper albeit a slight drop in quality. There can be only so much tech cramped into them just to ATTEMPT you to PAY MORE than you really need. It's beyond practicality TODAY. The best and latest built-in gadgets, do you use them all really? All the time?

The euphoria of buying a new phone do not last long, a few weeks or a month later, you look at it and it's just another item you own and phone bills you are still stuck paying for another 1-2 years. Depending on your luck, that 'fun new toy' euphoria dies faster when weeks or month later, ANOTHER phone comes to market with bigger Bangs and Whistles. LOL.

Know what you are paying for and for what purpose. I suspect it is never for what the phone actually does really.  :) Hope it's worth it.

If some of these views resonate with you, I think you will find, buying your next phone becomes easier or stops you from upgrading so soon still.

Edited by upshot
Added the forgotten part on opreration system.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

think the S10 n S20 (although not out-of-the-world choices) rank pretty highly.

impressive cameras, good performance, compact enough for one-handed operation (what is with all the crazy huge phones now) n coz they r flagships software updates should be supported for at least 2 years.

not cheap, not the battery life champs, but well-rounded

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.