Male HQ

Gay-theme novels (both non-erotic and erotic)

merlinkun

Not sure if anyone brought up this topic before. I just thought since I am having my school holiday, I have some time to catch up on gay-theme novels. Any recommendation?

Some books I have read includes the Geography Club series (currently reading Barefoot in the City of Broken Dreams, the sixth book in the series), Boy Meets Boy (one of my all time favorite, a true classic), Hero (sad the author died of drug overdose, never get to see a sequel...). And of course some more... risque selection to indulge in (I mean straight girls have 50 Shades of Gray, so...).

https://merlinsfolio.wordpress.com/

https://medium.com/@merlincheng
"On the Internet, no one knows you are a cat."

I'm a fan of local literature, so here's my list of what I've read:

1) Now That It's Over by O Thiam Chin - 2 stories (1 straight, 1 gay) set in the backdrop of the 2004 tsunami

2) Peculiar ChrisTo Know Where I'm Coming From and Quiet Time by Johann S Lee

3) The Last Lesson of Mrs De Souza by Cyril Wong - a student decides to come out to his teacher through a letter, only for the latter to tell his father about it 

The content is nothing risque and deals with the characters on a moral level. Hope this helps!

Not too sure if it's counted as a novel, Leow Yangfa's I Will Survive is a collection of personal recounts from homosexual individuals living in Singapore and read it as part of my research for my uni research paper haha. 

Read David Levithan's Boy Meets Boy too, a story about a boy in high school dealing with his sexuality and romantic feelings for another guy.

Edited by Vans

On 6/20/2019 at 3:34 AM, merlinkun said:

Not sure if anyone brought up this topic before. I just thought since I am having my school holiday, I have some time to catch up on gay-theme novels. Any recommendation?

Some books I have read includes the Geography Club series (currently reading Barefoot in the City of Broken Dreams, the sixth book in the series), Boy Meets Boy (one of my all time favorite, a true classic), Hero (sad the author died of drug overdose, never get to see a sequel...). And of course some more... risque selection to indulge in (I mean straight girls have 50 Shades of Gray, so...).

i have a Chinese (Taiwanese) novel about teenage puppy love, with some erotic descriptions but for bears. its an easy and engaging read. if you are interested, i can give it away to you. :)

• 1 month later...

I like glass cathedral! I think it gives a different take/world/vibe compared to books like quiet time.

I also read giovanni's room by james baldwin (old book but after reading it seemed to me that not much have changed in over 50 years); and not a novel but I love alfian sa'at's the invisible manuscript <3

Yeah Glass Cathedral is good. 

My fav gay themed book is At Swim, Two Boys by Irish author Jamie O’Neill. Beautiful book. 

Im also a fan of The Swimming Pool Library by Alan Hollinghurst - it’s one of the first few gay themed books I have read back in the days.

On a side note, Math Paper Press reprinted Peculiar Chris recently so prob a good time to pick it up...

• 1 year later...