Male HQ

Testosterone Deficiency Syndrome

Dr T

Thanks for that interesting article Doc T.

What"s it gonna cost to do the serum test for this please?

It seems strange that when you go for your yearly blood test, it says nothing about T levels.

Worth looking into I feel.

Cheers, Mike

16 hours ago, Dr T said:

Thanks for the message Mike.

The test is not expensive actually. It's only $44 before GST.

Most health screening packages don't include that. 

Can whatsapp my clinic 84438268 for appointments or message me.

Thanks for the reply bro.

I feel it will be good to find out my Test-level, and if it needs to be improved.

Cheers, Mike 

On 6/30/2019 at 12:21 PM, mike_amk said:

Thanks for that interesting article Doc T.

What"s it gonna cost to do the serum test for this please?

It seems strange that when you go for your yearly blood test, it says nothing about T levels.

Worth looking into I feel.

Cheers, Mike

Even here in the US it is not usual to test for testosterone serum in yearly checkups. 

Doctors think that they can detect low testosterone from its side effects?

This is not always easy.  We should periodically request this lab test.

We should also check that tests for kidney and liver are included.  Even vitamin B12 for us old folks.

On 7/7/2019 at 9:15 PM, Dr T said:

Did you know that Testosterone is not only beneficial for sexual health but aslo overall health. It is also an important hormone that helps men fight the effects of aging.

Like many medical interventions,  testosterone deficiency treatments are controversial.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mens-health/is-testosterone-therapy-safe-take-a-breath-before-you-take-the-plunge

https://www.healthline.com/health/low-testosterone/do-testosterone-supplements-work

Moderate testosterone deficiency is better left alone or improved with nutrition and lifestyle changes, not drugs.

Severe deficiency justifies more the use of supplements, but not before the cause of such deficiency is investigated.

It is questionable that slightly low testosterone levels cause or increase the effects of aging in older men.

It is better to stay away from doctors who push testosterone deficiency treatments as a "cure" for aging.

This is enticing for old folks like me who hope that high testosterone will make them young again!  

40 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Like many medical interventions,  testosterone deficiency treatments are controversial.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mens-health/is-testosterone-therapy-safe-take-a-breath-before-you-take-the-plunge

https://www.healthline.com/health/low-testosterone/do-testosterone-supplements-work

Moderate testosterone deficiency is better left alone or improved with nutrition and lifestyle changes, not drugs.

Severe deficiency justifies more the use of supplements, but not before the cause of such deficiency is investigated.

It is questionable that slightly low testosterone levels cause or increase the effects of aging in older men.

It is better to stay away from doctors who push testosterone deficiency treatments as a "cure" for aging.

This is enticing for old folks like me who hope that high testosterone will make them young again!  

Thank you for your sharing Steve5380.

You are absolutely right!

There are many doctors who easily push testosterone treatments without proper assessments or monitoring.

It is best to seek consultation from a doctor who is certified in Mens' Health medicine. 

A Men's health doctor will first find out the history of the patient's symptoms, perform a physical examination and relevant blood tests before testosterone replacement is prescribed.

It is definitely not a cure for aging. It is only administered if it is proven that the patient has signs and symptoms of  testosterone and also proven to have low testosterone from blood tests.

We only aim to have optimised testosterone in patients to get the most benefits from Testosterone. There is no need for high testosterone.

So before you start on any treatment or supplements, it is best first to seek advice from a doctor who is trained and experienced in handling such cases.

Thank you again Steve5380 for highlighting this to us. Appreciate your input.

8 hours ago, Dr T said:

Thank you for your sharing Steve5380.

You are absolutely right!

You're most welcome!

I hope that my fellow BWs don't jump on the testosterone bandwagon thinking that it is the magic cure-all and gift of top virility.

12 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

You're most welcome!

I hope that my fellow BWs don't jump on the testosterone bandwagon thinking that it is the magic cure-all and gift of top virility.

Anti aging is not a one hormone cure all therapy. This thread is just to highlight that TDS is real and there are many men out there who are suffering from it and don't realise that it is a medical problem. Just to create awareness. That is why its important to seek a professional who can advise you based on your needs and condition.

16 hours ago, Dr T said:

Anti aging is not a one hormone cure all therapy. This thread is just to highlight that TDS is real and there are many men out there who are suffering from it and don't realise that it is a medical problem. Just to create awareness. That is why its important to seek a professional who can advise you based on your needs and condition.

I certainly do agree with the point you've made Doc. This needs to be evaluated in a holistic manner, to determine the actual needs if any.

We may not all have the same rate of decline in our T-levels, but at some point we will notice that our muscle density has changed... and your regular doctor will never bother, and just tell you the standard line, this is to be expected as you age!!

I'm glad that Doctor T. has put this message out for us to be aware of TDS. Thanks!

Cheers, Mike  :-)

7 hours ago, mike_amk said:

I certainly do agree with the point you've made Doc. This needs to be evaluated in a holistic manner, to determine the actual needs if any.

We may not all have the same rate of decline in our T-levels, but at some point we will notice that our muscle density has changed... and your regular doctor will never bother, and just tell you the standard line, this is to be expected as you age!!

I'm glad that Doctor T. has put this message out for us to be aware of TDS. Thanks!

Thanks Mike!

7 hours ago, mike_amk said:

Not so fast...   Muscle mass and testosterone naturally decline with age,  when we are less inclined to use our muscles.

But exercise boosts muscle mass and testosterone very nicely.  The problem is that regular doctors rarely tell a senior "you should start lifting weights".

However, this is an excellent advice.   And a lot has been written about this , like:

https://www.piedmont.org/living-better/the-best-exercises-to-increase-testosterone

On 7/13/2019 at 11:15 AM, Steve5380 said:

Not so fast...   Muscle mass and testosterone naturally decline with age,  when we are less inclined to use our muscles.

But exercise boosts muscle mass and testosterone very nicely.  The problem is that regular doctors rarely tell a senior "you should start lifting weights".

However, this is an excellent advice.   And a lot has been written about this , like:

https://www.piedmont.org/living-better/the-best-exercises-to-increase-testosterone

Most prob because these 'regular' doctors are not exercising themselves. So they won't advise their patients to do so. I always advise my patients that the best way to boost it is by building more muscle and doing weight exercises like HIIT. Long distance running may not do much for the testosterone levels. I myself prefer weights/hiit to running.

3 minutes ago, Dr T said:

Most prob because these 'regular' doctors are not exercising themselves. So they won't advise their patients to do so. I always advise my patients that the best way to boost it is by building more muscle and doing weight exercises like HIIT. Long distance running may not do much for the testosterone levels. I myself prefer weights/hiit to running.

You are right.  The curriculum of medical schools is too busy with teaching anatomy, physiology and remedial treatments to leave much time for preventive medicine. And after graduation doctors are too busy with their practices and their private lives,  so exercise is left as an afterthought like for most adults,  except for the very smart ones.

You must be one of the smart ones who takes time to exercise with hiit and weights.  And the older we get the more important it is to lift heavy weights, with "heavy" being relative to the condition of our body.  It is said that the stronger our quadriceps are, the longer we will live.

8 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

You are right.  The curriculum of medical schools is too busy with teaching anatomy, physiology and remedial treatments to leave much time for preventive medicine. And after graduation doctors are too busy with their practices and their private lives,  so exercise is left as an afterthought like for most adults,  except for the very smart ones.

You must be one of the smart ones who takes time to exercise with hiit and weights.  And the older we get the more important it is to lift heavy weights, with "heavy" being relative to the condition of our body.  It is said that the stronger our quadriceps are, the longer we will live.

Thanks Steve,

Yes... that was what I was trying to get at. Our bodybuilding exercises need to be sustained in relation to the condition you're in. There would be a possible natural increase in t-levels with the lifting of heavy free weights over time, that being said, a supplement may be good to jumpstart things where necessary I feel.

The problem with our heavy workload and endless travel schedules, makes it harder to get  a workout... which is why I have built my own simple home gym, so there is no excuse to lift those weights whenever I'm back home. 

I am glad that the Doc T has been helpful in putting out helpful information and suggestions specifically directed for us guys that our own family doctors never speak about.

I feel that ageing well and keeping our buff bods healthy, sexy and firm till we're well past our 80's is my goal... being physically attractive to some young bucks is fun too...hehe!!

• 1 month later...
Guest Chiva Som

Hi Dr T,

I can see how Testosterone will benefit a male in the later part of life. But do we have to go on this for life?  And if so, what will happen to our own natural producing testosterone production if we suddenly decide to stop taking the synthetic ones?

Lastly, can it change your personality to be more manly.  Me have crossdressing thoughts and feel feminine and hope to change this.

10 hours ago, Chiva Som said:

Hi Dr T,

I can see how Testosterone will benefit a male in the later part of life. But do we have to go on this for life?  And if so, what will happen to our own natural producing testosterone production if we suddenly decide to stop taking the synthetic ones?

Lastly, can it change your personality to be more manly.  Me have crossdressing thoughts and feel feminine and hope to change this.

There is a chance that you won't need to take for life if you also do some lifetyle changes like better eating habits, more muscle building exercises etc which i will advise during my consultation. For the personality part will have to discuss in private during the consultation

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.