Male HQ

Where do you buy your clothes nowadays?

lonely57

So I more or less have bought the entire uniqlo collection and find myself wearing the same thing as some people in my office at times. Kinda wanna change up my wardrobe a little instead of hearing "welcome to uniqlo" the moment i open my wardrobe. 

3 hours ago, lonely57 said:

So I more or less have bought the entire uniqlo collection and find myself wearing the same thing as some people in my office at times. Kinda wanna change up my wardrobe a little instead of hearing "welcome to uniqlo" the moment i open my wardrobe. 

No retailer can beat uniqlo when it comes to latest men's wear in terms of variety, fashionable, fitting and free alteration services. Price is reasonable.

Guest Guest Scye

I buy when I’m overseas and sometimes locally eg Colony Clothing. While you can potentially compile a list of shops to go to from this thread, my advice is to dedicate time to style clothes from other labels with your Uniqlo purchases so it’s harder to end up with the same outfit as your colleagues. You’ll also get to wear your old purchases in new ways and stretch your investment. I imagine you should have clothes from other labels prior to your shopping spree at Uniqlo.

Local Shopping mall. 

But i avoid mass production clothes, except a few for casual wear.

No online purchase as need to ensure it fits me.

I only had 1 uniqlo, the monopoly design. I bought it bcas my whole body is sweaty. So bought one at the mall, change at the toilet.

Till now, only worn it once, which is that day.

Personally, i find it embarrassing to wear same clothes with another person. 

What's the budget? 

If no budget you can look at Hugo boss or armani wear

Or get it overseas as I like to shop during holidays to get something different once in a while 

16 hours ago, Guest Blank said:

What's the budget? 

If no budget you can look at Hugo boss or armani wear

Or get it overseas as I like to shop during holidays to get something different once in a while 

theres always budget. those are abit too much. 

overseas is quite impossible for me since i havent been out of sg in years and not really planning to do so for a while. 

maybe i can take a look at the department stores. 

and yes its terribly embarrassing to wear the same clothes as someone else.. but guys dont really have much variety. 

I haven't bought a single piece of clothing in the last two years.  

My latest work clothes for the office,  collections of ties and belts,  have been still in my closet for years. 

Thank you retirement,  thank you good body that refuses to build an old man's tummy  :)

I wear casual clothes that are like 20 years old,  and they still look good!

On 8/12/2019 at 6:53 PM, lonely57 said:

Do not spread fake news lah. You more or less bought the entire uniqlo collection meh? Dua pow sian.

21 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Do not spread fake news lah. You more or less bought the entire uniqlo collection meh? Dua pow sian.

lol thats not fake news.. i may have over exaggerated.. but again... the term is... over exaggerated..

anyways. i tend to wear mostly plain tees but they mostly end up having pit stains. i used to like fox but its gone now.. somehow i feel very weird that im repeatedly wearing the same shirt over and over throughout the week. maybe because time flies pretty quickly so i see myself wearing the same thing again. ill be super paranoid thinking people will notice that i wear the same thing every monday. or tuesday. 

2 hours ago, Since u r here said:

nowadays in sg, everyone is getting a loopless pants ie used without belts

I have always used casual pants without a belt  with shirts that would cover the belt.

It's one of the advantages of having a waist that keeps the pants from falling down, instead of a round belly  :)

1 hour ago, lonely57 said:

somehow i feel very weird that im repeatedly wearing the same shirt over and over throughout the week. maybe because time flies pretty quickly so i see myself wearing the same thing again. ill be super paranoid thinking people will notice that i wear the same thing every monday. or tuesday. 

Are the people you work with so frivolous?  Women should be the ones to care about variety,  men don't need to.  And if variety is important, that's why we use a tie that can be different every day of the week.   What do your colleagues think seeing you drive the same car every day of the week?:lol:

8 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

I have always used casual pants without a belt  with shirts that would cover the belt.

It's one of the advantages of having a waist that keeps the pants from falling down, instead of a round belly  :)

Are the people you work with so frivolous?  Women should be the ones to care about variety,  men don't need to.  And if variety is important, that's why we use a tie that can be different every day of the week.   What do your colleagues think seeing you drive the same car every day of the week?:lol:

speaking of waist that keeps the pants from falling down... i hate my muffin top :(

in singapore, car is luxury. any car is luxury.. u drive same car is still luxury. but wearing the same plain tee is not. D:

i mean i dont really want to be so predictable. like if its a monday ppl can actually guess what im going to wear. as a single straight acting male.. i should at least try to "dress to impress" right? =/

1 hour ago, lonely57 said:

i mean i dont really want to be so predictable. like if its a monday ppl can actually guess what im going to wear. as a single straight acting male.. i should at least try to "dress to impress" right? =/

You are absolutely right.  As long as you can afford it easily you should dress well to impress.  Every little bit helps to stay ahead.

My view is that of a retired man who feels comfortable in his old clothes, his old house, his old car and with his old body :)

1 hour ago, mate69 said:

Giordano. Cheap and good.

Those who spend excessive money on fashion and/or are slaves to it are just financially foolish.

Nothing wrong with spending money on fashion to express your individuality. Though buying branded clothes for the sake of buying branded stuff is foolish (and usually their dressing very obiang).

Just now, Fox92 said:

Nothing wrong with spending money on fashion to express your individuality. Though buying branded clothes for the sake of buying branded stuff is foolish (and usually their dressing very obiang).

The key word here is excessive.

Until the point where there is little or nothing left for other basic needs like food, bills which are obviously the most important etc.

And have to end up borrowing here and there just so because they do not know how to financially prioritize and save.

There are so many people like that.

That said, I mainly shop local/small-scale designers. Don't really shop online unless see something I really like and cannot get an ewuivalent here coz I need to try my clothes to see the fit. Prefer those thrift stores but the ones in Sg suck; NZ one is damn good you can get vintage designer-wear at really cheap prices.

22 hours ago, mate69 said:

The key word here is excessive.

Until the point where there is little or nothing left for other basic needs like food, bills which are obviously the most important etc.

And have to end up borrowing here and there just so because they do not know how to financially prioritize and save.

There are so many people like that.

excessive.. is actually applicable to everything. ppl go holiday excessively.. rake up a good amount of cc debt. end up borrowing money. ppl excessively eat at posh restaurants. spend on luxury cars but actually can barely maintain it.. 

moderation is key. but these ppl... make life difficult... 

23 hours ago, Fox92 said:

That said, I mainly shop local/small-scale designers. Don't really shop online unless see something I really like and cannot get an ewuivalent here coz I need to try my clothes to see the fit. Prefer those thrift stores but the ones in Sg suck; NZ one is damn good you can get vintage designer-wear at really cheap prices.

what are some of these local and small designers?

I find very few shops providing muscle cut shirts, other than the likes of Nike, Uniqlo.  I also don't like buying cotton shirts as they don't hug the shape of the body and require ironing.  Most of them cotton ones look very unshapely lines and plain, which are good for uncles.

As for some people who recommend to buy from HK and other countries etc, it's good to realise that their shirts are mostly thicker and unsuitable for equitorial weather.   Who in their right mind wanna spend 800-1000 HKD for a (thick) shirt?

https://info.lululemon.com.hk/features/our-gear/made-to-move

Guest Loquacious Larry Laminator
On August 16, 2019 at 6:49 AM, lonely57 said:

anyways. i tend to wear mostly plain tees but they mostly end up having pit stains. i used to like fox but its gone now.. somehow i feel very weird that im repeatedly wearing the same shirt over and over throughout the week. maybe because time flies pretty quickly so i see myself wearing the same thing again. ill be super paranoid thinking people will notice that i wear the same thing every monday. or tuesday.

Maybe you can buy enough shirts and pants that you don't need to repeat any of them for two weeks (or possibly three weeks if you want to buy that many). About three years ago, I bought 10 pairs of pants in different colors from Giordano, 10 dress shirts in different colors from MyCK, and 10 tee-shirts in different colors from Giant, which means I never end up wearing any of those items to work more than twice a month.

I also never wear my work clothes away from official functions, since I have a couple of older shirts and pairs of pants for that, and I tend to stick with a set of tighter tee-shirts for non-formal events. Then on the occasions when I need to attend really important conferences or meetings, I have three different suits to select from, while mixing and matching the dress shirts as needed (plus around 10 neckties to finish up with).

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 11:33 PM, Zomgzmg said:

what are some of these local and small designers?

Grayestudio, Depression, Max.Tan, etc. Matter Prints is great if you're environmentally conscious and they work with rural areas in Asia to provide jobs for the people. I like MILS as well but unfortunately the designer passed away so the brand discontinued.

I think it is always good to invest in work clothes. If you want to play the part, you have to look the part. A decent suit is always a great investment. 

I recently discovered this online brand who opened up their first physical store, Rhone. While the focused more on athletic wear, they have started a line of "business" casual clothes that are really amazing. I got a pair of their slim commuter pants and I wore them on a flight from NYC to Miami a couple weeks ago. They used a stretchy fabric more commonly used in athletic wear and surprisingly pretty wrinkle resistant. Also they have a line of work shirts now with the same stretchy fabric. but not sure how they will work in more humid weather. The stuff is similarly priced like lululemon, but they make in smaller batches so they sell out fast.

Love. 

Guest best quality

I don't buy but just take what I find useful from the charity bags. Mostly at the rich people area I can find Versace leggings, Gucci ties and plenty of brands more. Just found that nice Louis Vuitton tweed jacked near the villas at Mountbatten Road at one charity box and yesterday this Hermes jeans at Nassim Road. 

All my shorts (sleep and go out) I bought in bkk.. 

T shirt for sleeping also bought in bkk. 

Usually my jeans and shirts are all bought from asos.

Underwear need to go to department stores (isetan have better underwear brands) to purchase directly. 

Running apparel usually from nike/h&m. 

Shoes nowadays only Nike. 

Once a while I will buy stuffs from taobao but usually will throw them out within 2months, so really not worth it. 

On 9/4/2019 at 9:19 PM, Guest best quality said:

I don't buy but just take what I find useful from the charity bags. Mostly at the rich people area I can find Versace leggings, Gucci ties and plenty of brands more. Just found that nice Louis Vuitton tweed jacked near the villas at Mountbatten Road at one charity box and yesterday this Hermes jeans at Nassim Road. 

Got such thing huh?

On 8/19/2019 at 12:20 AM, Fox92 said:

To each their own for sure!

I'd love to buy lots of clothes but of course, when you're a tight budget you have to be prudent with your spending haha.

I used to get stuff on ASOS but now things are so expensive there.

I really need to get new shoes. Mine has holes!!! T_T

Also, are there thrift stores in Singapore? I don't mind getting anything cheap as long as they look decent and functional haha.

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Wanason said:

To be honest, that’s a weird question for 2020. From the other hand, it can be interpreted in the way that there are so many places that you don’t know where you will find the best clothing for the most reasonable price. That being said, it depends on what you are looking for. If you want casual and not expensive, places like H&M, Zara, if you want classy and expensive, you can go to Ives Saint Laurent or Louis. My option is something between those two. I choose not expensive, but classy and very good looking.

As deemed so by whom?

I  have Kim Jones custom tailor all my clothes. I think Kim or K as close friends calls him has a refined design in clothing. A small price to pay as normal people cannot afford his service 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.