Male HQ

Favourite Music Covers

practease

Guest Overdosed Yourself

I really don't want to "play moderator" but can we please get some organization to this thread?

1. Please don't merely embed a video. Post something about the song and the cover artist in case readers don't know.
  2. Link the cover song first and the original song under it so that any interested readers can watch and compare them.
  3. Try to link covers of songs that can be considered hits (even minor hits) in some sense of the phrase so it is known.
  4. Don't monopolize the thread by posting 13 straight covers. Give space for others to take part or nobody will want to.
  5. If more people feel that their posts won't be crowded out, this thread will last longer and perhaps reach its potential.

I think this thread can be interesting, which is why I started participating, but let's be engaging.

Guest Hazily Instructor

Tiffany's cover of the 1966 song "I Think We're Along Now" by Tommy James & The Shondells made her extremely popular among American teenagers in 1987 and 1988. Some of the video footage is from her shopping mall concert tour, which was a very innovative idea at the time, and connected her even more closely with her obvious target audience.

Guest To Perth Mirth Girth Berth

Run DMC covering "Walk This Way" by Aerosmith in a solo performance of the two groups historic Rap & Rock fusion remake (Video time is 3:20).

Guest Overdosed Yourself

Cast of GLEE season five cover of "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey performed in memory of Finn.

Journey performing their 1981 hit "Don't Stop Believing" two years later during a concert in Tokyo.

Guest Hazily Instructor

Another popular cover song by Tiffany during her late ’80s and early ’90s heyday was "I Saw Him Standing There" which was a gender reversed version, obviously, of the 1963 hit single "I Saw Her Standing There" by the Beatles. This live performance was at a special Disney World event for new high school graduates. Looks like fun for those teens.

Guest Overdosed Yourself

The Untamed covering "Tong Hua" by Wong Kong Leong (Michael Wong) on a Myan/Thai variety show.

Wong Kong Leong (Michael Wong) singing "Tong Hua" at the Taipei Legacy performance 10 years ago.

Guest Hazily Instructor

Kylie Minogue, already known in Australia and the UK, became a global star after covering and remixing 1962's "The Loco-Motion" by Little Eva in 1987 and 1988.

Guest Overdosed Yourself

Alyssa, Job, and Charlotte on 'The Voice Kids - Netherlands' singing "Want To Want Me" by Jason Derulo (with a Cheap Trick bonus near the end).

Jason Derulo performing "Want To Want Me" at the Summertime Ball in 2015 when the song was rising quickly and turning him into a global star.

Guest Hazily Instructor

The Bangles covered "Hazy Shade of Winter" by Paul Simon & Art Garfunkel for the 1987 movie "Less Than Zero" starring Robert Downey Jr. who portrayed a strung out rich kid, not by acting, but by being his actual self at that point in time. Andrew McCarthy and Jamie Gertz played the childhood friends who tried in vain to save his life.

Guest Overdosed Yourself

Hu Er Yue Due's "Xi Shua Shua" is really just a slightly altered Chinese language version of "K2G" by Japanese girl band Puffy Ami Yumi.

Puffy Ami Yumi did the theme song for the old Teen Titans cartoon and some of their songs like "K2G" were used during action scenes.

Guest Hazily Instructor

Joan Jett's cover of "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" is considered by some hard rock and heavy metal fans to be better than the original by AC/DC. The crowd is far too tame during this live performance in 1991, unfortunately, which they probably look back on with a lot of regret almost three decades later.

Guest Overdosed Yourself

The Bay City Rollers (1970s teen idols from Scotland) covering "I Only Want To Be With You" on 'Top of the Pops' in 1976.

Dusty Springfield singing "I Only Want To Be With You" in 1964 extending her hit song's popularity from the previous year.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Hazily Instructor

Real McCoy covering "Come And Get Your Love" in 1995.

Redbone doing the original song on a TV special in 1974.

Redbone were 1st Native American act with global #1 hit.

Guest Overdosed Yourself
On 5/17/2020 at 10:39 AM, practease said:

Here is Loren Allred performing her original version of "Never Enough" from "The Greatest Showman" in concert for the sake of comparison.

Guest Hazily Instructor

Jeffrey Li covering "You Raise Me Up" in his "America's Got Talent" audition.

Here is Josh Groban performing the original version of the song in concert.

In a reminder of just how fast time goes, Groban did this song 18 years ago.

Guest Overdosed Yourself
On 5/17/2020 at 9:45 AM, practease said:

Here is the original version of "Take On Me" by A-Ha from "American Bandstand" in 1985 for the sake of comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons performing "Working My Way Back To You" on television in 1966.

The Spinners covering "Working My Way Back To You" during Don Kirshner's Rock Concert in 1979.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hazily Instructor

Brownsville Station performing "Smoking In The Boys Room" on TV in 1974.

Motley Crue remaking "Smoking In The Boys Room" live in Moscow in 1989.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Overdosed Yourself
On 5/19/2020 at 3:46 PM, Guest Hazily Instructor said:

Tiffany's cover of the 1966 song "I Think We're Alone Now" by Tommy James & The Shondells made her extremely popular among American teenagers in 1987 and 1988. Some of the video footage is from her shopping mall concert tour, which was a very innovative idea at the time, and connected her even more closely with her obvious target audience.

Original version by Tommy James & The Shondells from 1967.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mickey Spillane’s M Hammer

"Just The Two Of Us" - Will Smith

"Just The Two Of Us" - Bill Withers (Arrangement & Sax by Grover Washington Jr.)

• 2 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.