Male HQ

What is happening to Hillsong?

Guest David

Marty Sampson, a worship music writer, singer, and active member of Hillsong has publicly denounced his faith on social media.

His announcement comes just weeks after well-known Christian author Joshua Harris announced his departure from Christianity, both sharing their news over Instagram.

I believe religion is a personal "thing". This "renouncing" of faith is not exhaustive to just pastors or worship leaders; in fact, it could possibly be anyone who enters this faith, whether you are a regular church goer, or you are someone high profile in your local church.

I used to start believe in Christ from early teens. Then I decided to be "on-fire" as what many Christians would say in their jargon. I thought that I would fit in to the church community. But after many years down the road, I find that, especially for large churches, it's difficult to have very close relationship among your few church mates. Often, I find that when I stopped attending a particular church for a while, the church "friends" doesn't seem to keep in contact anymore. In actual fact, if you happen to see them in streets or in malls, very few will still say hi. Most times, they'd look away (when we obviously have eye contact with one another). 

At the recent years, I had also tried to attend church my myself, which lasted me for a few years as well, and ultimately, I stopped attending church altogether. I did walk in and attended their "open house" "cell group" (where Christians gather in smaller groups), and joined for one time - but due to my busy schedule at work, I didn't manage to attend anymore. Hence didn't make any friends there.

However this did not make me stop believing, just that I'm having more freedom with no commitments whatsoever (yes I could spend more time resting over my weekends) rather than making unnecessary "sacrifices 'for God'". In my own time, I still youtube different Christian worship and sermons randomly. That works best for me now at the moment.

Will you be my valentine's? :D

• 3 years later...
Guest Ceno Tan

Hillsong is a global megachurch and a popular Christian music group that has faced several controversies in recent years.

In 2019, the founder and senior pastor of the church, Brian Houston, announced that the church was undergoing a "global investigation" following allegations of misconduct and abusive behavior by its leadership. This came after the former pastor of Hillsong NYC, Carl Lentz, was fired for "moral failures."

Additionally, in 2020, Hillsong faced criticism for allegedly mishandling allegations of child sexual abuse by one of its pastors in Australia. The church has since apologized for its handling of the situation.

More recently, in 2021, it was announced that Hillsong would be permanently closing its Dallas and Phoenix locations due to financial difficulties. There have also been reports of declining attendance and financial struggles for the church as a whole.

Despite these challenges, Hillsong continues to have a significant following around the world and remains a prominent voice in the Christian community.

2 hours ago, Why? said:

People don't lost their faith, they simply hate internal politics within the Church.    In fact, it is hard to believe in God made by man, instead of vice versa.   One bad apple deosn't mean you need to give up eating apple forever.  Besides, I am agnostic and very spiritual.  Can't you tell?

The first sentence - you nailed it :D

Edited by sum1outhere_03

Will you be my valentine's? :D

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.