Male HQ

Open Club  ·  137 members

Gardening

What Plant Is This?

Coolbriz

Hey guys, wanted to initiate this so that peeps here can be motivated to learn or know more about plants. Can we exclude plants such as Orchids, Bougainvillea cultivars and varieties, etc as they are extremely hard to identify. 

Post a plant you wish to know and let's help each other to learn and know about plants. I know there are already Facebook groups actively doing this but let's do one for BW, shall we?

rNDmN6v.jpg

Image above shows a fern leaf of Asplenium longissimus, a native fern of Singapore.

Edited by Coolbriz

Be cool, like a breeze...

• Coolbriz pinned and unpinned this topic
17 hours ago, Coolbriz said:

Hey guys, wanted to initiate this so that peeps here can be motivated to learn or know more about plants. Can we exclude plants such as Orchids, Bougainvillea cultivars and varieties, etc as they are extremely hard to identify. 

Post a plant you wish to know and let's help each other to learn and know about plants. I know there are already Facebook groups actively doing this but let's do one for BW, shall we?

rNDmN6v.jpg

Image above shows a fern leaf of Asplenium longissimus, a native fern of Singapore.

Thanks for initiating this. Sounds like a great idea. I am no expert so most likely can’t name any but will be good to learn. 

The fern u posted seems a little different from what I have. It is planted all over the island now and it had somehow sprouted in some of my pots. I decided to keep this in my pot as I once came across a video saying ferns helps to purify the air. So I was thinking maybe that why our Park and Recreation are planting them.

0-BBAB93-F-4264-477-B-A5-BF-F9-B949-B4-B

Sorry I digress. More keen to know if anyone know what the below is. I am not sure it belong to cactus or succulent family. Got this many years ago from a Friend. It need very little water and could rod if over water. The young sprouts will grow out of the edges of the leaves. I had been replanting this each time I get the young sprouts. The old ones tend to grow rather big and limp after a while. 

BBB46-AD0-88-E8-4-C62-9-F92-E57-D2-CE75-

31 minutes ago, shyc said:

Thanks for initiating this. Sounds like a great idea. I am no expert so most likely can’t name any but will be good to learn. 

The fern u posted seems a little different from what I have. It is planted all over the island now and it had somehow sprouted in some of my pots. I decided to keep this in my pot as I once came across a video saying ferns helps to purify the air. So I was thinking maybe that why our Park and Recreation are planting them.

0-BBAB93-F-4264-477-B-A5-BF-F9-B949-B4-B

Sorry I digress. More keen to know if anyone know what the below is. I am not sure it belong to cactus or succulent family. Got this many years ago from a Friend. It need very little water and could rod if over water. The young sprouts will grow out of the edges of the leaves. I had been replanting this each time I get the young sprouts. The old ones tend to grow rather big and limp after a while. 

BBB46-AD0-88-E8-4-C62-9-F92-E57-D2-CE75-

Thanks for keeping the ball rolling! Yes, a lot of ferns are planted and most likely the one in your picture belongs to the genus, “Nephrolepis”. 

Your succulent looks like Kalanchoe. One characteristic of such plant is the ability to propagate by leaf cutting. Young buds grow out of edge of serrated leaves as you described it. Has it flowered so far?

Edited by Coolbriz

@Coolbriz Thanks! Wow you are an expert! You are spot on right for both. Nephrolepis fern and Kalanchoe Pinnata Original. After your reply I googled and found the exact images. 👍

I had the Kalanchoe for over 10yrs but as mentioned, I tend to keep the newer plants and discard the old. So currently it might be few generation of off spring since the original. Trying very hard in a hope to salvage what’s left of the neglected plant. Frankly didn’t even realise that they can flower. Maybe I didn’t take care of it well enough 😆 It is always just left there and need minimal watering. Young sprouts from the edges of old leaves and tend to drop off onto the soil and regrow from there. Or maybe mine just never grew old enough to flower? 

7317-DD5-E-C96-A-4926-9559-616283-AE7-FE

4 hours ago, Coolbriz said:

I still got a lot to learn. Too many plants to learn actually haha. Kalanchoe heard you need certain period of darkness to trigger its flowering. You might want to experiment with it :) 

Oh what does certain period of darkness means? Keep the plant in total darkness for a period of time? I had kept this for over 10yrs tat also about the same time I got to know this plant. Before that I never seem to take note of this. After the introduction than I started noticing in many household but never with flowers. You got my curiosity, will see if I can fish out more info on the net. Thanks for all the infos. 🙏

9 minutes ago, shyc said:

Oh what does certain period of darkness means? Keep the plant in total darkness for a period of time? I had kept this for over 10yrs tat also about the same time I got to know this plant. Before that I never seem to take note of this. After the introduction than I started noticing in many household but never with flowers. You got my curiosity, will see if I can fish out more info on the net. Thanks for all the infos. 🙏

Yes, plants in nature go through a process called photoperiodism. This process simply refers to plants developmental response to light and dark period. So I guess Kalanchoe might need to go through a change in these periods or duration for it to flower - aka, change in day length (longer or shorter daytime).

13 minutes ago, Coolbriz said:

Yes, plants in nature go through a process called photoperiodism. This process simply refers to plants developmental response to light and dark period. So I guess Kalanchoe might need to go through a change in these periods or duration for it to flower - aka, change in day length (longer or shorter daytime).

A quick scan on Google, it seems like you may need to keep the plant in a darker place for a longer period of time than it normally does over several weeks for flowering to be triggered. But I suggest you do that with some spare plants you propagate and not use the only one you might have. You know, experiments might fail lol. 

Edited by Coolbriz

16 minutes ago, Coolbriz said:

A quick scan on Google, it seems like you may need to keep the plant in a darker place for a longer period of time than it normally does over several weeks for flowering to be triggered. But I suggest you do that with some spare plants you propagate and not use the only one you might have. You know, experiments might fail lol. 

Wow you just given me reasons to propagate more of this plant. I know for sure I won't be that lucky to make it bloom but I am a curious cat who love experimenting 😂. Still have to wait a long while as I had discarded most of it 2 wks ago. Currently left with contains of leaves half buried in soil.

Just now, shyc said:

Wow you just given me reasons to propagate more of this plant. I know for sure I won't be that lucky to make it bloom but I am a curious cat who love experimenting 😂. Still have to wait a long while as I had discarded most of it 2 wks ago. Currently left with contains of leaves half buried in soil.

Glad that you find new meaning in your gardening hobby. :) Keep us posted. 

@Coolbriz  Kind of excited over the idea. Its gona be a few months before I get to have any updates. Few weeks for the plantlets to sprouts, another few weeks for growth, than at least 6weeks of stimulation. Wow that will be the longest edging session to try and get some reactions. 😂 

1 minute ago, shyc said:

@Coolbriz  Kind of excited over the idea. Its gona be a few months before I get to have any updates. Few weeks for the plantlets to sprouts, another few weeks for growth, than at least 6weeks of stimulation. Wow that will be the longest edging session to try and get some reactions. 😂 

😂 very aptly described. Yes it's like "edging" and I hope you enjoy the process and not just the result.

@Coolbriz  indeed, getting 'hardon' just reading up on the process. 

Getting my info from here: 

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to-grow-flowering-kalanchoe/

short and to the point stimulation. no lengthy fore play, 😜 

I seriously doubt I would get any results but the idea is stimulating. When I had sprouted cherry tomatoes plants before, I deligently used cotton bud to germinate pollens but after 2 years not a single drop of tomatoe 😂 

Edited by shyc

• 1 month later...

Those are already cut leaves. I cut them around 24-25 Aug after coolbriz mention that it can flower under certain conditions. Just curious if I can trigger it manually so cut them hoping to propagate more to 'sacrifice' for my experiment 😂. In the process I actually found out they take a month to show sign of new grown unlike what was written on some blog or YouTube channel. I hv cut leaves place indoor on terracotta base plate, spray water only 5-6 time over the month long period.

IMG-4906.png

Some leaves were cut and placed on the soil outdoor. Watering as per normal, once or twice per week. I just check and found they are still fresh looking, some with roots and hidden under some bigger leaves there are small plants that had grown and rooted into soil.

IMG-4905.png

11 hours ago, Since u r here said:

it looks like treatment for succulents! but why cut so many at one go? u have too many to spare??

On 9/26/2019 at 12:23 PM, shyc said:

Those are already cut leaves. I cut them around 24-25 Aug after coolbriz mention that it can flower under certain conditions. Just curious if I can trigger it manually so cut them hoping to propagate more to 'sacrifice' for my experiment 😂. In the process I actually found out they take a month to show sign of new grown unlike what was written on some blog or YouTube channel...

On 9/25/2019 at 2:11 PM, shyc said:

IMG-4875.png

Finally! Showing some sign of birth. It's 1 month since I fuck pluck them. New born are arriving on some of the leaves but whether I can let them grow up to adulthood still depend on nature. 

That’s awesome! Really can’t wait to see them grow into adults :) 

IMG-5073.png

Decided to place my leaves cutting on a bed of soil. Didn't seem to have much growth so this is gona be a long process. Also I think I might have got it wrong. This may be are not Kalanchoe Pinnata as I mention earlier. Seems Since UR here may be right and this “mother of thousands” or Kalanchoe laetivirens.

Also got some new addition from the nice Aunty in my neighbourhood. 

IMG-5082.png

barely 6 days of tossing the seeds given from the Aunty, I think these are Rose balsam.

and some stem cutting of Japanese rose also from Aunty. 

IMG-5083.png

Thou these I am really not sure if it will survive. So far my stem cutting propagation never work. 

7 hours ago, shyc said:

IMG-5073.png

Decided to place my leaves cutting on a bed of soil. Didn't seem to have much growth so this is gona be a long process. Also I think I might have got it wrong. This may be are not Kalanchoe Pinnata as I mention earlier. Seems Since UR here may be right and this “mother of thousands” or Kalanchoe laetivirens.

Also got some new addition from the nice Aunty in my neighbourhood. 

IMG-5082.png

barely 6 days of tossing the seeds given from the Aunty, I think these are Rose balsam.

and some stem cutting of Japanese rose also from Aunty. 

IMG-5083.png

Thou these I am really not sure if it will survive. So far my stem cutting propagation never work. 

The Japanese rose, aka Portulaca grandiflora, should be able to survive stem cutting and root readily. Perhaps make sure the bottom leaves are removed before inserting the stems into the soil. Make sure the soil is well-drained as these guys do not like wet soil. You can also consider using only the top portion of the stems instead of the entire length to increase survivability. Hope to see them flower soon!

5 hours ago, Coolbriz said:

The Japanese rose, aka Portulaca grandiflora, should be able to survive stem cutting and root readily. Perhaps make sure the bottom leaves are removed before inserting the stems into the soil. Make sure the soil is well-drained as these guys do not like wet soil. You can also consider using only the top portion of the stems instead of the entire length to increase survivability. Hope to see them flower soon!

Thanks for the tips. Keeping my fingers crossed. I was admiring her blooms that's what lead to my profited cuttings. It had survived 6 days as my Rose Balsam germination. With only one cutting turning yellow and wilted. I think I remembered seeing a white and some red blooms when she gave me the cuttings. I love them as they are mixed of Colours and they resemble mini roses. There is a certain joy watching them. It brings fond memories of when Mom had them. I think I need to stop daily TLC as I had been spraying water and praying that they don't wilt away. 😂 obsession kills.

And back to kalanchoe