Male HQ

Ideas to cook yam healthily

Srl13064

42 minutes ago, Srl13064 said:

What is the ratio between yam and milk? I think full cream milk will pair well with yam!

No exact ratio, I go by the consistency of the yam that I want, add bit by bit, cos u can't extract. You can experiment see what flavours u like, add spices like cinnamon or nutmeg. I got a good bottle of Madagascar vanilla extract, so I add a bit sometimes, a bit dessert like. Can do the same with sweet potatoes.

• 4 years later...

Been trying out this way of preparation taking inspiration from Hakka yam pork dish. Basically its just omitting the pork. Still need some refining.

I use a food processor like Thermomix for the easiest execution. Just add in thoroughly rinsed yam cubes, diced mushrooms for a slight umami and red preserved beancurd (南乳) 

as the main flavouring agent.

Not too much though, I am happy with the flavour when I use about 1-1.5 tsp worth or it for 500g of yam. A nice balance of saltiness from it and eartiness from the yam itself. You can add a bit of chicken stock if you prefer not so bland food.

Finally, add salt or pepper at the end after tasting if necessary.

I typically have this as an accompaniment to other dishes.

If no food processor, I would typically use a pan to lightly stir fry the yam instead, using the same ingridients.

Edited by anxiousfriedtofu
Edit formatting

• 3 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.