Male HQ

Gaydar - How Good Are You at telling if someone is Gay? + How To Develop It? + What Are The Signals? (Compiled)

for my opinion the easiest way to detect a guy is when a group of guys talk about sex include gax sex in and see the reaction or some will say yucks 50% they are gay some will say walk away 60% they are gay some will listen but keep quiet 70% gay some will talk and talk until he realy into the topic wah that confirm gay lor

Interesting. Then what about the straights? How will they react?

• 1 year later...
Guest Gagaily

I bet many of us experienced this before: sitting on a train/bus or in a cafe/restaurant, how do you know the cute guy whom you would like to take a few more glances is a gay?

Sometimes when I spot my cup of tea, I also can't hold but to look at him secretly from afar.

However, everyone knows this is weird, and when the guy looks back, he might just be a straight and stares back at you.

How do you know if a guy is gay? What characteristics does a gay display in a public place?

Sometimes I was thinking if all members of the gay community should come up with a common identity, like a badge or something, so people of the "same kind" can flock together and spot one another easily.

Nowadays all you need to do is:

1. Look at his phone and see if you see grindr installed. (applies to BB and iPhones)

2. Check out grindr and see if he is online on it.

3. See what he likes to look at. Chances if he is stealing glances at men, most likely he is too :twisted:

Ha Ha, look at his phone, what if the bulge in his pocket is his phone.

Many years ago in the UK most gay guys would wear a triangle badge that would let other gay guys know they are gay, the best thing to do is drop your pants and wave your Willy in his face and wait for his reaction,

Guest darkflame

I bet many of us experienced this before: sitting on a train/bus or in a cafe/restaurant, how do you know the cute guy whom you would like to take a few more glances is a gay?

Sometimes when I spot my cup of tea, I also can't hold but to look at him secretly from afar.

However, everyone knows this is weird, and when the guy looks back, he might just be a straight and stares back at you.

How do you know if a guy is gay? What characteristics does a gay display in a public place?

Sometimes I was thinking if all members of the gay community should come up with a common identity, like a badge or something, so people of the "same kind" can flock together and spot one another easily.

I do the same too! But I can't tell if he's gay or straight.

In school, I met some cases of some guys purposely choosing to sit next to me on the same row when there are already empty seats. But I assume they have their special reasons for doing it. So far only one guy was my cup of tea but he didn't talk to me.

This is silly but recently I try to look at the finger ratio to see if his index finger is longer than his ring finger.

Even if the result is positive, it doesn't mean he's gay but I try.... :unsure:

Other than that, I try not to look too intently at my cups of tea. Will avert gaze once they look back.

Wonder if that is contributing to me being left on the shelf? ;)

Guest Gagaily

I do the same too! But I can't tell if he's gay or straight.

In school, I met some cases of some guys purposely choosing to sit next to me on the same row when there are already empty seats. But I assume they have their special reasons for doing it. So far only one guy was my cup of tea but he didn't talk to me.

This is silly but recently I try to look at the finger ratio to see if his index finger is longer than his ring finger.

Even if the result is positive, it doesn't mean he's gay but I try.... :unsure:

Other than that, I try not to look too intently at my cups of tea. Will avert gaze once they look back.

Wonder if that is contributing to me being left on the shelf? ;)

Does that work! If it's so, I will observe all my cups of tea <3

I WANT A BOYFRIENDDDDDDDDDDD ):

Guest darkflame

Does that work! If it's so, I will observe all my cups of tea <3

I WANT A BOYFRIENDDDDDDDDDDD ):

I also want boyfriend leh. And probably almost everyone here seeking a LTR.

All the good guys are either attached or straight. :angry:

If that trick worked, we'll have plastic surgery to extend the index finger for gay men who have a longer ring finger.

Studies show only a large number of gay men have this finger ratio but not all gay men have it.

Somemore, hard to see sometimes. Can't go around grabbing the hands of every guy u like to check, confirmed exposed one.

But, when I see a guy's index finger shorter than ring finger, I somehow get a little turned on...like he's exuding that forbidden straight manly aura.

I'm always crushing on the straight guys...sigh... :huh:

How to spot a Gay. Here are some examples of the diverse range of how a gay guy may look.

1. Fashionista

Dressed to kill. Fashion forward. Know his LV from his AX, etc. Always branded with the latest fashion.

Hair style are the latest and most probably has his own stylist which he visits regular for cuts and coloring.

He will most probably consider himself/herself very high class and every other guys of lower status (LC).

Most of them are in the fashion or service industry.

e.g. of such people. - Our famous - bald hair stylist & the other hair stylist

2. Business

A guy who dress well and look good in his long sleeves and pants. Impeccable dress sense, looks prime and proper.

Not one hair is out of place, either with or without mustache or goatee. Look good even with glasses on.

The younger guys will have tailored shirt and pants. Some may be gym fit. The older guys just dress well. Some with a little love handle.

Executive level executives or management executives.

e.g. Our gay advocates who has his own forum.

3. Sportnista

Gym bunnies who dressed up in the latest sport wear brands, e.g. Adidas, New Urban Male, A&F T-shirts, etc. or brands and accessories you don't get in Singapore.

They are at the gym almost every day. Have bulging muscles and look buff and tough. Sadly, when some of them open their mouth, there goes their cover.

Not forgetting their gym bags and shoes. Which has to be the latest if not the most branded.

You can see them in the famous gyms in town.

e.g. Can't think of any famous person, but you can just go to the gym in town and you get what I mean.

4. Bears/Chubs

Above-average-size guys who love to dress in shorts and T-shirt. Some will have a short sleeve shirt over their T-shirt and some even wear a cap. They are not too concern about brands but most will dress casually.

Their hair is either very shortly cropped, 4 by 2, some are even bald. Goatee, mustache and if possible a beard is a must.

The younger guys will try to dress cute and the older guys will try to looked manly.

e.g. no famous e.g. either.

5. Beng/Str8 looking gay/closet gays

Look like the 80% str8 guy in our population. Very hard to tell if they are str8, bi or gay. They dressed like the rest of the population. Some may even be married.

The only tell tale sign that they might be gay is from their eyes. Their eyes may roam if they spot someone they like.

e.g. could look like your father, brother, colleagues, etc.

The above are just some obvious and stereo-typical examples. It may or may not have all the attributes under the categories. There will be those whom are in between the categories, etc.

Hope it helps you to sharpen your gaydar.

Sigh... I'm mostly attracted to pple in category 5. It's almost impossible to tell if they are gays or if they do have some interest in you. :( Kinda hard to find a nice guy now, I don't want to be a 'lao chu nan'...

Maybe like someone mentioned here, all nice guy is either attached or str8.

Anyway, nowadays quite difficult to tell whether a guy is gay or str8. Sometimes the tell-tales sign indicate he might be gay, but he turned out to be str8!

Guest darkflame

Sigh... I'm mostly attracted to pple in category 5. It's almost impossible to tell if they are gays or if they do have some interest in you. :( Kinda hard to find a nice guy now, I don't want to be a 'lao chu nan'...

Understand how u feel.

Sometimes I just wish a guy I like would simply look at me. Instead of averting their eyes.

Today I just found out my classmate (female) and I are having a crush on the same guy in class.

Well, since I'm not coming out yet, I just have to support her if she wants to woo him.

I'll just drown in my romantic fantasies that my crush would suddenly confess to me. I really envy those who always get confessed. :oops:

There's a new technology picking up steam - AR.

Currently used for places of interest and dining places - anything that has placed themselves on some apps like Lonely Planet etc.

You simply hold up your smart phone (with GPS) in a general direction and if the place of interest is along the path of vision (within a distance limit you can set), it comes up.

I'm told by the developers of the technology that they will eventually link to the likes of Facebook or other profiles systems (BW?Fridae?) and you could possibly point it in a direction if the guy's mobie is GPS and number provided, you should be able to know.

Neat huh?

http://www.howstuffworks.com/augmented-reality.htm

The eyes, and the way they react to you.

I remember once there was this male collegue who always cuddle close to me when I ask him things, as in put his face very close to mine, till I can feel his breathe on my face. Not that I dislike it since he was pretty good looking and hunky :P

Edited by Allegro

There's a new technology picking up steam - AR.

Currently used for places of interest and dining places - anything that has placed themselves on some apps like Lonely Planet etc.

You simply hold up your smart phone (with GPS) in a general direction and if the place of interest is along the path of vision (within a distance limit you can set), it comes up.

I'm told by the developers of the technology that they will eventually link to the likes of Facebook or other profiles systems (BW?Fridae?) and you could possibly point it in a direction if the guy's mobie is GPS and number provided, you should be able to know.

Neat huh?

http://www.howstuffworks.com/augmented-reality.htm

Sounds like the Samsung Galaxy S apps: Navfone

I'm a fat person but I seriously don't dress like what the stereotyped ones dress... bermudas/shorts are just taboo to me @_@ lol I guess it's reli hard, you know? I mean the thing is, gay or not, we're still humans. There's no discerning difference between a gay man and a straight man, so maybe your 'gaydar' could come in handy~

"The two of us are living in the same era, believing in the same future

Yesterday’s tears and today’s smiles will stay true

We’ve experienced the same pain, we’ve gathered the same kindness

And we’ll turn them into the strength to live on tomorrow"

progress - ayumi hamasaki

Guest darkflame

This is a very random post.

Yesterday I was in class and a guy I found not bad looking sat one seat away from me.

At first I found him so-so, but when he wore on glasses, he looked very cute. And he was wearing a pullover, and I like seeing university boys with pullovers.

I have no idea why he always tried to not wear his glasses when he kept squinting and squinting but rationally, he probably doesn't want to damage his eyesight further I suppose.

I never exchanged glances with him, but I know he kept stealing glances at me and my notes.

When he's not looking at the lecturer, he looks at either me or my notes/stationery.

Sort of got distracted a little. One side of me hopes he just wanted to borrow my notes because he was late, and the other side hopes he wasn't straight.

Anyway the former overwhelmed the latter and I left the class without taking a single look at him.

I just pray that he isn't late the next time round and just so 'happen' to plant himself in a seat away from me. Don't give me false hope. :rolleyes:

The eyes, and the way they react to you.

I remember once there was this male collegue who always cuddle close to me when I ask him things, as in put his face very close to mine, till I can feel his breathe on my face. Not that I dislike it since he was pretty good looking and hunky :P

So do u think he is gay?

• 7 months later...

I've noticed that I am almost always able to tell if a person is gay or not solely by looking at his face, especially in the eyes and smile. And I don't know if anyone feels the same but I really don't like it when I am able to tell if a person's gay, no matter how manly/discreet that person is.

So do you guys agree that there is a discernible difference between a straight/bi guy's face and gay guy's face?

Guest Guest

I've noticed that I am almost always able to tell if a person is gay or not solely by looking at his face, especially in the eyes and smile. And I don't know if anyone feels the same but I really don't like it when I am able to tell if a person's gay, no matter how manly/discreet that person is.

So do you guys agree that there is a discernible difference between a straight/bi guy's face and gay guy's face?

Before you/we go on this interesting topic, have anyone or many ever come to you and say

a) you look gay

b) you look like a slut

c) both gay and slut

?????????

Guest imseeker
And I don't know if anyone feels the same but I really don't like it when I am able to tell if a person's gay, no matter how manly/discreet that person is.

For me it depends. I don't mind my gaydar being activated when it's a really masculine hunky guy who I otherwise wouldn't suspect is gay. LOL!

Ok like let's say compare the white guy on the right:

interracial-gay-couple.jpg

to this white guy:

mike-phillips-duffy-151933406.jpg

The first white guy has a stereotypically gay face even though he's obviously quite muscular/masculine, whereas the second white guy has a straight guy's face. Does this mean that gay and straight people are intrinsically different physiologically-speaking, as opposed to just emotionally and mentally?

Guest Straight face

Nope, some straight guys have gay faces too so it's a mix between your physical appearance and dressing which makes you gay or straight looking.

Guest imseeker
The first white guy has a stereotypically gay face even though he's obviously quite muscular/masculine, whereas the second white guy has a straight guy's face. Does this mean that gay and straight people are intrinsically different physiologically-speaking, as opposed to just emotionally and mentally?

Agree with your first sentence. But one can't do much about a gay-looking face short of plastic surgery, tanning, extreme weight gain or loss, or bodybuilding that tangentially sculpts the facial and jaw muscles.

Just a thought, could a stereotypically gay-looking face also be due to the (regular) use of toiletries and facial care products?

Agree with your first sentence. But one can't do much about a gay-looking face short of plastic surgery, tanning, extreme weight gain or loss, or bodybuilding that tangentially sculpts the facial and jaw muscles.

Just a thought, could a stereotypically gay-looking face also be due to the (regular) use of toiletries and facial care products?

application of skincare products won't do anything to change our features.

i subscribe to the law that the way we think shapes the way our facial features develop, or 相由心生. I know it sounds strange, but i think it does hold some water.

Guest Gay face

I doubt straight people can tell whether a person is gay by their look. HOwever, gay people have the additional gift to recognise a gay person by his look.

Guest Girl face

Ok like let's say compare the white guy on the right:

interracial-gay-couple.jpg

to this white guy:

mike-phillips-duffy-151933406.jpg

Seems like it is the shape/corner of the eyes and the smile. Kinda common when you visit the gym.

• 3 months later...
Guest Marad44

I did a Google search - without results - for a device that I read about years back.I am a bit hazy as to the details but this is the gist -

An electronics guy in Britain made a gadget for his deaf brother-in-law, to be notified when the door bell rang while he was home alone. This aired on the TV. The gay interest groups saw an application for themselves. The idea developed into a market in the USA.

Basically, a guy keys descriptions of himself and his interests into the device which he carries on his person. When the device spots a match in the vicinity, it raises alarm as well as signals the other guy on his his device. The two start communicating.

Could work for hook-ups too! :whistle:

Edited by Marad44

For me, I find that the most telling sign would definitely be the gaze that only AJ people give each other. The knowing look, that's it. Haha. What do you guys think.

The gaze? Accurate or not? Nowadays dun really believe all these so called gaydar. U thought tht guy is a gay but he is not, but if u thought he is not gay but he is!

Unless i see his mouth swallowing another guy's dick or he is fxxking another guy, then i might believe he is gay! Haha.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

• 3 months later...

This is an interesting topic back in the day gays would wear bandanas in there back pocket to intdicate they were gay the diffrent colour and if on left and right side secretly told those in the know not only that they were gay but there sexual prefrences. This has fadded out of fashion execept in a few places but was known as the Hanki code.

Then gay men started to wear chains but this got coppied by the fashion industry.

Abercrombie and Fitch clothes becames popular as they often sported labels like pitcher or catcher a not so secret code to once more tell other gays they were gay and what they liked but once more they proved so fashionable that this is also n o longer reliable.

Im afraid the only way to realy tell if someone is gay is if they spend time checking out your manhood bulge in your trousers smile.gif

Unless you bring the hanki code back to singapore smile.gif

the way they walk, the way they stare, almost similar to gals..

• The Fashionista Gay:
  • Branded stuff e.g. LV, D&G, etc.
  • Colour matching or brand matching accessories, bags, etc.
  • Hang out at cafe, high tea, hotels, etc.
  • Stands out amongst the crowd when they shashe elegantly The Gym Gay:
  • Branded NUM, Nike, Addidas, etc.
  • Color matching or brand matching accessories, shoes, bags, etc.
  • Hang out at gyms, cafe, in their tight shirt with bulging muscles.
  • Stands out amongst the crowd when they swagger with their arms sticking out from their body. The Executive Gay:
  • Branded or Tailored wear like Armani, Prada, etc.
  • Matching accessories like Tie and briefcase, leather shoes, etc.
  • Enjoys good food, into fine dining and wines, etc.
  • Carries Blackberry, Palm and or Slim Notebook e.g. MacBook
  • Stands out as someone with impeccable taste and you never see them sweat even when they are in their suit. The Chubby/Bear Gay:
  • Not really into brands, more towards comfort fit with oversize Ts or baggy Check Shirt with short sleeves
  • Carries electronic gadgets like iPhone or Mac.
  • Avid gamers, comic books collectors, etc.
  • Spent much times at home with computers socialising using Facebook, IRC chat, etc.
  • Stands out with very short hair cut, with beard or goatee and burly built.

The above are just some stereotypes, of course, there will be those which could fly below the gaydar and are undetectable. Those I find harder to detect are the Beng gays, the Married gays and the uncle gays.

Hahaha... This is the most ridiculous stereotyping I have seen for a long time!!!

• G_M changed the title to Gaydar - How Good Are You at telling if someone is Gay? + How To Develop It? + What Are The Signals? (Compiled)
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M locked, locked, locked, locked and locked this topic
  • Guest locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • G_M unlocked and unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.