Male HQ

Celebrities / Famous Personalities Who Have Passed Away (Compiled)

jazz

9 hours ago, sphere said:

For 黄鸿升 (Alien Huang), from his friends in the showbiz...
RIP

人的一生,要死去三次。第一次,当你的心跳停止,呼吸消逝,你在生物学上被宣告了死亡。第二次,当你下葬,人们穿着黑衣出席你的葬礼,他们宣告,你在这个社会上不复存在,你从人际关系网里消逝,你悄然离去。而第三次死亡,是这个世界上最后一个记得你的人,把你忘记,于是,你就真正地死去。整个宇宙都将不再和你有关。

被人遗忘,才是一个人真正的死亡。

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For a moment,  I thought of Sharon au.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Meanly Preacher

Since a lot of readers here are not sports fans, Diego Maradona is one of the greatest footballers of all time, and many fans believe he stands alone as the best ever. He led Argentina to victory in the 1986 World Cup, which included his infamous "Hand of God" goal, as well as one of the greatest solo goals in the history of the sport. On the club level, he led Napoli to their only Italian Serie A titles in 1987 and 1990, briefly breaking the traditional dominance of Juventus, AC Milan, and Inter Milan.

I had a dream I slept with Maradona - The Café - Square Wheels Cycling

Off the field, Diego Maradona is a more complicated figure, as he loved the partying lifestyle available to any athlete who reaches his level of fame. That unfortunately led to addictions to cocaine and other drugs -- which earned a couple of lengthy suspensions at the height of his career -- and caused severe health problems in recent years. As a matter of fact, he just had brain surgery a few weeks ago, so I'm not surprised he has now passed away from a heart attack. But it's still sad for us fans.

• 3 weeks later...

cannot remember when i first got hooked on the writing of John Le Carre. Probably it was with his third novel The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. Le Carre described in such extraordinary detail the real world of spies compared to that of the glamorous vodka martini swilling seducer James Bond. I think I have read all his books since then, although one of his last A legacy of Spies remains to be opened on my Kindle. Other spy and thriller writers have published occasional best sellers that have fascinated me. Le Carre was always different. His elegant prose, the way he slowly draws you into each novel with swiftly switching locations and gradually fieshes out characters made them consistently grip me in a way no other writer in that genre has.

Younger members may have seen some of the more recent movies like Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy with a variety of talented British actors, The Tailor of Panama with Pierce Brosnan and The Constant Gardiner about corruption involving a drug company in Africa with Ralph Fiennes. John Le Carre refused many honours offered by the British government, including a knighthood. He died a few days ago at the age of 89.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 10:47 AM, InBangkok said:

cannot remember when i first got hooked on the writing of John Le Carre. Probably it was with his third novel The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. Le Carre described in such extraordinary detail the real world of spies compared to that of the glamorous vodka martini swilling seducer James Bond. I think I have read all his books since then, although one of his last A legacy of Spies remains to be opened on my Kindle. Other spy and thriller writers have published occasional best sellers that have fascinated me. Le Carre was always different. His elegant prose, the way he slowly draws you into each novel with swiftly switching locations and gradually fieshes out characters made them consistently grip me in a way no other writer in that genre has.

Younger members may have seen some of the more recent movies like Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy with a variety of talented British actors, The Tailor of Panama with Pierce Brosnan and The Constant Gardiner about corruption involving a drug company in Africa with Ralph Fiennes. John Le Carre refused many honours offered by the British government, including a knighthood. He died a few days ago at the age of 89.

I am reading The Constant Gardener now. Have been wanting to read it, due to some review earlier. This is my first time reading him.

8 hours ago, cutejack said:

Is this the lady who played mum role in "this land is mind" drama in 80s?

Yes TVB series 风云 This Land is Mine. If you can remember this, you must be at least 50yo now 🤭

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Meanly Preacher

January 2021 has been a very sad month for American celebrity deaths.

Actress Cicely Tyson dead at 96 | myfox8.com

Jan. 28 / Cicely Tyson / 96 / Pioneering African-American actress known for Sounder, The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman, Roots, King (as Martin Luther King's wife Coretta Scott King), A Woman Called Moses (as Harriet Tubman), The Women of Brewster Place, Fried Green Tomatoes, Tyler Perry's Madea films, and How To Get Away With Murder.

Cloris Leachman, Sitcom Standout and Oscar Winner, Dies at 94 | Hollywood  Reporter

Jan. 27 / Cloris Leachman / 94 / Actress and comedienne who started in Hollywood in the aftermath of World War II and went on to be featured in The Last Picture Show, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Phyllis, Young FrankensteinHigh Anxiety, History of the World Part I, The Facts of Life (final two seasons), Dancing With The Stars, and Raising Hope.

Baseball legend Hank Aaron had a history of home runs in New Orleans –  Crescent City Sports

Jan. 22 / Hank Aaron / 86 / One of the greatest Major League Baseball players of all-time who competed for the Milwaukee & Atlanta Braves and is best known for breaking Babe Ruth's record of 714 home runs despite receiving death threats from insane racists, finishing his career with 755 home runs, and becoming a Civil Rights activist after retirement.

Phil Spector, lionized producer of 1960s pop and convicted murderer, dies -  The Washington Post

Jan. 17 / Phil Spector / 81 / Disgraced music producer who pioneered the "Wall of Sound" formula that brought pop groups like the Teddy Bears, the Crystals, the Ronettes, and the Righteous Brothers to prominence in the 1950s and 1960s, but was found guilty in 2009 of killing actress Lana Clarkson six years earlier, and died in jail from the coronavirus.

Siegfried Fischbacher, of illusion duo Siegfried & Roy, dies | Star Tribune

Jan. 13Siegfried Fischbacher / 81 / Member of the legendary stage magician duo Siegfried & Roy, who set the record as the most visited show in Las Vegas due to their mastery of illusion casting and animal tricks, at least before Roy's mauling by a tiger in 2003, and he preceded Siegfried in death after succumbing to the coronavirus last summer.

Marion Ramsey, 'Police Academy''s Officer Hooks, Dies at 73

Jan. 7 / Marion Ramsey / 73 / Actress best known for portraying Cadet (later Officer and Sergeant) Laverne Hooks in the six Police Academy movies, which collectively formed one of the most popular comedy film series of the 1980s, with that role preceded by a stint on Cos, and followed by a string of guest appearances on numerous television shows.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest Curious

I think there may be a longer thread of death of famous people. If so, I assume this will be moved.

Luchino Visconti was one of the great movie directors. Many will remember his adaptation of the Thomas Mann novella "Death in Venice" made into a movie in the 1970s. The closeted gay British actor Dirk Bogarde was the star but most interest was focused on the casting of the young beautiful mid-teen Polish boy Tadzio. Most thought that with many involved in the movie being gay, the actor chosen for the part Bjorn Andresen would also be gay despite his youth. He was not. Soon after the movie's release he was called "the most beautiful boy in the world," a title he hated. Indeed, he came to hate the movie for all but ruining his career. But that was in the future. In the movie he is the perfect protagonist for Bogarde's composer who is suddenly confronted by an image of perfect beauty.

Visconti died 45 years ago today.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Meanly Preacher

Beloved children’s author Beverly Cleary dies at 104
By HILLEL ITALIE | AP National Writer | Mar 26, 2021 | Updated Mar 26, 2021

NEW YORK (AP) — Beverly Cleary, the celebrated children’s author whose memories of her Oregon childhood were shared with millions through the likes of Ramona and Beezus Quimby and Henry Huggins, has died. She was 104.

Cleary’s publisher HarperCollins announced Friday that the author died Thursday in Carmel Valley, California, where she had lived since the 1960s. No cause of death was given.

Trained as a librarian, Cleary didn’t start writing books until her early 30s when she wrote “Henry Huggins,” published in 1950. Children worldwide came to love the adventures of Huggins [and his dog Ribsy] and neighbors Ellen Tebbits, Otis Spofford, Beatrice “Beezus” Quimby and her younger sister, Ramona Quimby.

They inhabit a down-home, wholesome setting on Klickitat Street — a real street in Portland, Oregon, the city where Cleary spent much of her youth.

classics-beverlycleary.jpg

Not mentioned in the excerpt from the article included above are Beverly Cleary's books featuring Ralph S. MouseSocks the Cat, Muggie Maggie, or twin siblings Mitch & Amy. She and Judy Blume (still alive at the age of 83) are ranked by some authorities as the greatest children's literature authors of all-time (1A & 1B), and I spent many hours reading their books when I was a kid, as a number of other posters surely did as well. Although she has now passed away, Beverly Cleary certainly lived a long life until just a couple of weeks before what would have been her 105th birthday, and she absolutely deserves to rest in peace for everything she did in writing books that encouraged children around the world to enjoy reading and turn it into a lifetime passion.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Derelict
On 7/2/2007 at 10:09 AM, jazz said:

How time flies. It has been 10 years since the Death of Diana. :(

I remember I cried when news of her death was aired on TV (luckily I was at home). :oops:

Prince William & Prince Harry is marking the 10th anniversary of their mother's death with an event to celebrate her life. The concert for Diana on 1st July 2007, which would have been Diana's 46th birthday, will feature performances by the likes of Duran Duran, James Morrison, Sir Elton John, Fergie and many more...

Star World (Channel 18) is airing the whole 6 hours, from 10.00 am - 4.00 pm on 2nd July 2007 (today).

For those who wants to read more about Diana (click here).

Now it is their grandpa and it will be awkward together after that interview

Guest Egg seller

Meghan is a jinx. Harry is an idiot. Let see what happen when they return to Phillips wake and Diana anniversary. British will throw raw eggs at them. 

Harry will attend his grandfather's funeral.  His woman (MM) will not,  thanks to the pretext that she is pregnant and was advised by her doctor not to travel.

In this fortunate way,  Buckingham Palace will be saved the announcement to declare her "persona non grata".

• G_M changed the title to Passing of Prince Philip
Guest Meanly Preacher

Since this is the OFFICIAL celebrity deaths thread, and nobody bothered to put together a proper post on the passing of Prince Philip, now I am doing it, even belatedly, as his death could very well be setting the stage for the start of a major inflection point in the history of the Commonwealth.

JUN21_PRINCE_PHILIP_POST01.jpg

Everyone may not love the Royal Family, but in public Prince Philip has always been the Queen's strong and steady silent partner, a role the vast majority of men from the Greatest Generation would have found very difficult to assume. So he ironically helped normalize the view of powerful women.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Meanly Preacher

This is a catch-up post, since it happened in late April, but former US Vice President and 1984 Presidential Election runner-up Walter Mondale has passed away at the age of 93. He served as second-in-command under Jimmy Carter, and is widely considered to have modernized the office, giving him a place in history as the first truly consequential US Vice President. Some historians rank Mondale as America's best one-term Vice President and possibly number three overall behind Al Gore and Joe Biden.

walter-mondale-1-mgn.jpg

Former US Vice President Walter Mondale Dies At 93

AFP News | 20 April 2021 | 3-min read

Former US Vice President Walter Mondale, a liberal icon who famously told voters to expect a tax increase should he win the presidency, died Monday, US media reported. He was 93 years old.

No cause was given for Mondale's death, according to reports citing a statement from his family. Mondale served as vice president under Jimmy Carter from 1977 to 1981.

"Today I mourn the passing of my dear friend Walter Mondale, who I consider the best vice president in our country's history," Carter said in a statement, extending his condolences to his former number two's family. "He was an invaluable partner and an able servant of the people of Minnesota, the United States, and the world."

10291970.640x640.jpg?itok=7ZTGDzmW

A young Walter Mondale, while serving as Minnesota's Attorney General, urged President John F. Kennedy to push forward with Civil Rights legislation to ensure equality for Americans of all races. He was also ahead of his time on Women's Rights and LGBTQ Rights.

1560269678_08_MONDALE_GALLERY_11.jpg?auto=compress&crop=faces&dpr=2.625&w=412

Walter Mondale campaigned with Robert F. Kennedy as he sought the Democratic nomination for President prior to his unfortunate assassination in 1968. The USA would be a much better place if RFK had lived and then won the Election against Richard Nixon.

xxxxxxxxxx_03MONDALE.jpg?w=1500&h=1500&ixjsv=2.2.3

Walter Mondale's mentor was fellow Minnesota politician Hubert H. Humphrey, who served as Vice President under Lyndon B. Johnson after John F. Kennedy's assassination, and became the Democratic nominee in 1968 after Robert F. Kennedy's assassination.

Walter Mondale went up against fellow Senator Bob Dole in the historic first-ever US Vice Presidential debate in 1976. Jimmy Carter and Mondale went on to defeat sitting President Gerald Ford and Dole in the Election and serve in the White House from 1977-81.

walter-mondale-dead-jimmy-carter-vp-embed2.jpg

The Carter-Mondale administration made good strides on some issues, like Human Rights and Middle East Peace, but was stymied by an Energy Crisis that defined the 1970s, along with a continuing Inflation Crisis, and finally undone by the Iran Hostage Crisis.

Walter Mondale returned to politics after four years out of office when he sought the Democratic nomination for President in 1984. He showed off his sense of humor by zinging one of his rivals, Senator Gary Hart, with a one-liner taken from a popular Wendy's commercial.

women-vps-ferraro-1.jpg?w=636&h=424

Defeated rivals Jesse Jackson and Gary Hart joined Walter Mondale, Vice Presidential nominee Geraldine Ferraro, and their spouses at the 1984 Democratic Convention as LGBTQ activists demonstrated to urge the party to do something about the worsening AIDS Crisis.

Walter Mondale proved to be a bit too honest during this speech when he pointed out that incumbent President Ronald Reagan was going to raise taxes -- and so would he -- with the difference being that he admitted it but would do so in a manner fair to everyone.

Rc876484f069ce5620005629bd5b02158?rik=t9HVgK2CfrQa5Q&riu=http%3a%2f%2fimages.publicradio.org%2fcontent%2f2009%2f07%2f09%2f20090709_walter_mondale_and_geraldine_ferraro_33.jpg&ehk=4dijOnHBB6gIjdMsefuG6tvoosZhE7T3z8qlyd8TVbA%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

Reiterating his unending commitment to equal rights for all Americans, Walter Mondale made history when he selected Congresswoman Geraldine Ferraro as his Vice Presidential running mate, making her the first candidate for the office from a major US political party.

Ronald Reagan landed the biggest zinger of the campaign during 1984's second Presidential Debate in responding to critics saying he was too old for a second term. Walter Mondale even had to laugh at his opponent's quick wit perfected by a long career in Hollywood.

210419175025-26-walter-mondale-super-169.jpg

Walter Mondale was called back to public service when President Bill Clinton appointed him to serve as US Ambassador to Japan in the 1990s. His experience helped solidify America's diplomatic efforts in the Asia-Pacific Region during an era of geopolitical change.

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F180103115727-pence-biden-mondale-01-03-2018.jpg

Fully embracing his role as an elder statesman, Walter Mondale met with and advised if requested his successors as Vice President including Joe Biden and even the Republican homophone Mike Pence, out of the unfortunately dying concept of respect for the office.

ows_683ea130_73ea_41a7_a370_943b8af53470.jpg

In the end, Walter Mondale never got to be President, but he stayed true to his beliefs, and his ideals are now moving the Democratic Party and USA forward as envisioned. He proved that even if telling the truth hurts in the short run, it is better for the long haul.

• G_M changed the title to Celebrities / Famous Personalities Who Have Passed Away (Compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.