Male HQ

Is S$8K salary already high enough?

Guest Raj

I  graduated with Computer Engineering degree and got an offer from an IT firm in Singapore. Free flight ticket, board and lodging for a month plus allowance. The base salary is 8k. Is it good enough for someone who has 6 months of work experience and first time to be in singapore? I should start on January 6.Hoping to meet new friends as well.

2 hours ago, Guest Raj said:

I  graduated with Computer Engineering degree and got an offer from an IT firm in Singapore. Free flight ticket, board and lodging for a month plus allowance. The base salary is 8k. Is it good enough for someone who has 6 months of work experience and first time to be in singapore? I should start on January 6.Hoping to meet new friends as well.

I think you are short changed, v low pay in my view. You should not work here. Reject the job. 

Otherwise, ask for double. If they value you, they will do so. 

2 hours ago, Guest Raj said:

The definition "computer engineering" is rather vague depending on where it is defined, the mix of electrical engineering and computer science.  Its value also depends on being a bachelor, a master or a PhD degree.  After a bachelor degree, 6 months of experience is not very much,  you would be mostly learning at your new job. Is any computer science advanced in Singapore, or is the work mostly application of science developed elsewhere?   I don't think you can expect too much compensation,  but the fact that you got the job offer,  hopefully from a multinational company, is something to value.  Take the job with much enthusiasm, maybe even passion,  and try to see much compensation in the challenge with its experience that a technical field can inspire  (if this is your main interest).

58 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

I think you are short changed, v low pay in my view. You should not work here. Reject the job. 

Nonsense.  After six months experience?   That will get you nowhere.

(are you trying to discourage a skillful individual from working in your country?  We know that you hate foreigners.  But technical inclined people with good education are valuable.  Or perhaps, are you a computer engineer out of work who sees Guest Raj as competition?)

5 hours ago, Guest Raj said:

what? 8K only plus those allowance? It’s way to Low. You should negotiate for at least $15K a month as cost of living here is extremely high. Remember this place is what you saw in movie Crazy Rich Asians and you should ask for much more to survive. 

5 hours ago, Guest Raj said:

Fuck off and go back to slumdia.

Stop stealing local jobs.

6 hours ago, Guest Raj said:

If yr coffin gonna be more expensive, of course not enough. Stay in yr country n earn more.

Better reject the job,  a lot of locals are earning more than 10k a month here,  u r short changed and what happen if u come here and scold our security guard,  then mom will check all your qualifications starting from kindergarten and if they found anything funny,  u will be in deep trouble,  so ya,  reject immediately. 

I  graduated with Computer Engineering degree and got an offer from an IT firm in Singapore. Free fli.. w friends as well.

I guess you are asking about general IT market.

I can bet with my dxx  that most if not all of Singapore's reputed university dont get that amount. Most prob max of abt 4 to 5k SGD (median 3.8k) per mth as base, including perks 6k to 7k?

You most probably have a skillset much more valuable, with big data or quantitative fiance  programming. Even then, most if not, none will get this package unless you have gd connections.

Having said that, i think it makes more sense to benchmark your peers of equivalent calibre.

Cheers.

Edited by Garyl

41 minutes ago, Garyl said:

I guess you are asking about general IT market.

I can bet with my dxx  that most if not all of Singapore's reputed university dont get that amount. Most prob max of abt 4 to 5k SGD (median 3.8k) per mth as base, including perks 6k to 7k?

You most probably have a skillset much more valuable, with big data or quantitative fiance  programming. Even then, most if not, none will get this package unless you have gd connections.

Having said that, i think it makes more sense to benchmark your peers of equivalent calibre.

Cheers.

Whao bet with yr dick ar?slurrppppp

One look on the internet shows that the average salary for a software engineer is S$ 56,439, and for an electrical engineer the average is S$ 46,332.   Your offer is 8 k, that is S$96,000 of BASE salary.  This compares very well with the average figures.

This means that a lot of posters here have come up with fantasy numbers,  probably intended to discourage you from taking the offer and coming to Singapore,  a sign of fear of foreigners taking their jobs away.   This is understandable,  but can be ignored.

Why would the IT firm hire a foreigner for much more money than they need to pay a national?  You may have better qualifications than the native engineer, or they like to have an international staff.  In any case, the job offer is perfectly legal and acceptable.

I also worked for over 30 years for a multinational company, the first 5 years as international staff traveling around, an interesting experience, and I would recommend this for any person, especially one who is single and without children. 

6 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Exactly.  My GOD, so low.  AIyo I pay my maid much higher than that. 

With that kind of salary, how can you survive ?  U might need a part time job as security guard in my condo ...........    but I wont scold you coz I dont come from India.  Also if they want to check my certificate by all means - NUS lor 

9 hours ago, Guest Raj said:

My MBA classmate in his early 30s - getting paid > SGD 15~19k with a nice and visible portfolio of responsibility.  The firm sent him everywhere.  More importantly shortlisted for succession to replace their overpaid old fat cats. 

I think your package is not bad. You should still havr plenty at the end of the month.

Edited by FattChoy

My initial response that bumped into my mind was actually: No salary is high enough...

I am a bit hesitating to respond here due to certain reasons.

The latest surveys conducted by Robert Half and Michael Page (international recruitment agencies) indicates that in Singapore, the Median Gross Monthly Income from work, inclusive of CPF contributions of full-time employed residents is at S$4,437. This is a nominal change of 4.6% from 2012 to 2017.

The take home salary for a local or PR is roughly around 2,750 (deducting the CPF), which is dependent on age etc. 

Please note this is the average salary for 2019 (on data from 2018). There is data for Engineers and other professions, but I dislike spoonfeeding.

Maybe, if this thread was really started by a Raj, you might understand why Singaporeans react a bit harsh to your post as the salary amount seems like double to an average salary for employees working here. 

Steve5380 was right to ask what is your "degree" and I would add, where is it from.

I assume your degree is from Bollywoodagore (sorry for the a bit comical way of describing it, don't see it as mockery). Usually local HR seniors would discount 30 - 50% off from your degree (if from overseas) compared to a Singaporean degree or one of the big 15 universities, and reduces the salary amount accordingly.

Honestly, I would not have offered you 8k but maybe at max. 3.5 - 5k. The company seems quite desperate to find staff or has taken on too many orders...and now the problem not having sufficient manpower to handle. 

Considering you are a beginner, with just little job experience, plus factoring in communication issues on the job, I find the salary amount vastly exaggerated (considering it only being a Bachelor, Degree (in local terms) and not a Master.

If you don't spend 7k per month on clubbing, high priced Single Malts or Cognacs, big tooled Brazilian Moneyboys and eat out at Haute Cuisine locations, it should be more than sufficient. And please don't forget to make some donations for the poor in India as you are quite fortunate.

Disclaimer:

I was a bit cautious to reply initially because:

The thing we never know at Blowing Wind is actually, if the thread under a Guest post was started by a troll to instigate some hatred against Foreigners/ Foreign employees in Singapore or initiated to later take chances in posting nasty things about people from certain origins.

Let's handle the thread with civility. Thanks.

39 minutes ago, singalion said:

Honestly, I would not have offered you 8k but maybe at max. 3.5 - 5k. The company seems quite desperate to find staff or has taken on too many orders...and now the problem not having sufficient manpower to handle. 

He didn't ask for your opinion on how much you think he is worth in salary.  He asked if drawing 8k in sg is high enough, presumably to live comfortably.

I remember chatting with one of the moderators here many years ago.  He told me he was drawing 1××× as an IT guy and he was content with that then.

Edited by FattChoy

4 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

One look on the internet shows that the average salary for a software engineer is S$ 56,439, and for an electrical engineer the average is S$ 46,332.   Your offer is 8 k, that is S$96,000 of BASE salary.  This compares very well with the average figures.

This means that a lot of posters here have come up with fantasy numbers,  probably intended to discourage you from taking the offer and coming to Singapore,  a sign of fear of foreigners taking their jobs away.   This is understandable,  but can be ignored.

Why would the IT firm hire a foreigner for much more money than they need to pay a national?  You may have better qualifications than the native engineer, or they like to have an international staff.  In any case, the job offer is perfectly legal and acceptable.

I also worked for over 30 years for a multinational company, the first 5 years as international staff traveling around, an interesting experience, and I would recommend this for any person, especially one who is single and without children. 

You really have no idea what this thread is about!

7 hours ago, Guest CRA said:

what? 8K only plus those allowance? It’s way to Low. You should negotiate for at least $15K a month as cost of living here is extremely high. Remember this place is what you saw in movie Crazy Rich Asians and you should ask for much more to survive. 

I agree! $8k? Omg thats shockingly low. I never thought this will happen in singapore and how our wages are suppressed!! Have you not see the documentry Singapore Social about young Singaporeans? They are enjoying Swiss standard of living, drink and party everyday and some stay in hdb flat! What can $8k get you these days? $15k at least for 1st 3 months, after confirm, at least $20k before you decide to stay of leave.

13 hours ago, Guest Raj said:

I think this guy should be cursed and hurled with tons of vulgarities. A computer engineer who does not know how to do his research on the market rate for his salary? 

There are tons of people here in Singapore who earn less than a quarter of the salary you mentioned and they survive well. 

And no, we won’t make friends with you.

Edited by bodybuildMLY

12 minutes ago, bodybuildMLY said:

I think this guy should be cursed and hurled with tons of vulgarities. A computer engineer who does not know how to do his research on the market rate for his salary? 

There are tons of people here in Singapore who earn less than a quarter of the salary you mentioned and they survive well. 

And no, we won’t make friends with you.

Apparently you believe in him hence such reaction 

Look at the responses from the rest of us , we cant be bothered because 

1.  It is another silly topic that wants to generate hits 
2.  Is real but he just want to show off 

Either one , we careless hence those not so friendly replied from us.

How "high" is high enough? Who's lifestyle are you trying to benchmark against?

A single guy with not much of commitment and no expensive hobbies may live comfortably with $3000.

Can't say the same for someone who needs to take care of elderly parents who requires medical care, and also supporting siblings who are still schooling.

46 minutes ago, suckmegood said:

How "high" is high enough? Who's lifestyle are you trying to benchmark against?

A single guy with not much of commitment and no expensive hobbies may live comfortably with $3000.

Can't say the same for someone who needs to take care of elderly parents who requires medical care, and also supporting siblings who are still schooling.

Have you not seen the documentary Singapore Social?

10 minutes ago, suckmegood said:

Documentary? ROFL. And your point is?

Young singaporeans party day, afternoon and night in high class places everyday. So $8000 how to have such lifestyle? How to keep up with Singapore's Beyonce? Please know the hardships of young singaporeans..i do not want TS to be award when his friends gather and by 1st week, ts bo lui..

16 hours ago, Guest Raj said:

Do you have a diploma from Uptron ACL? Go and take one if you do not have. Then you can ask for $66k per month.

3 hours ago, Guest Mary said:

Apparently you believe in him hence such reaction 

Look at the responses from the rest of us , we cant be bothered because 

1.  It is another silly topic that wants to generate hits 
2.  Is real but he just want to show off 

Either one , we careless hence those not so friendly replied from us.

2019 still got ppl show off abt salary n such things like this? Which village is he from?

Of course! It is very believable that you type in perfect English and hit all the outrage buzzpoints like highlighting your inexperience and inflated salary, making sure to emphasise how you aren't local. A real expat would have been asking more about culture, living conditions and work-life balance.

spacer.png

18 hours ago, Guest Raj said:

6 hours ago, FattChoy said:

He didn't ask for your opinion on how much you think he is worth in salary.  He asked if drawing 8k in sg is high enough, presumably to live comfortably.

I remember chatting with one of the moderators here many years ago.  He told me he was drawing 1××× as an IT guy and he was content with that then.

In my eyes he asked if the salary is justified in his case, or whether he is underpaid. "Is it good enough for someone his qualifications?" That is how I understood his query.

Well, I still can tell him, regarding his qualifications and work experience, he is overpaid and getting more than common for his case, compared to others.

If he is worth his salary, only his Employer can tell. In my experience, grades don't tell a lot, but motivation, independent thinking, problem solving and managing a team adequately.

Actually, the salary is not sufficient, if he intends to rent out that Black n White bungalow next to Keppel Golf Course with the peacocks running around the 6 ha garden.... or if he prefers to drive a Maserati GranTurismo Convertible...

I wouldn't mind joining one of his Champagne parties...

35 minutes ago, singalion said:

In my eyes he asked if the salary is justified in his case, or whether he is underpaid. "Is it good enough for someone his qualifications?" That is how I understood his query.

Well, I still can tell him, regarding his qualifications and work experience, he is overpaid and getting more than common for his case, compared to others.

If he is worth his salary, only his Employer can tell. In my experience, grades don't tell a lot, but motivation, independent thinking, problem solving and managing a team adequately.

Actually, the salary is not sufficient, if he intends to rent out that Black n White bungalow next to Keppel Golf Course with the peacocks running around the 6 ha garden.... or if he prefers to drive a Maserati GranTurismo Convertible...

I wouldn't mind joining one of his Champagne parties...

Whatever God says will be right. 

Guest xiao hei

The only thing you did wrongly is to use Raj as your guest name and hence, the bashing.

Be smarter next time and use a Chinese name. You will see the difference in response. Xiao Hei would be a cute name. Believe me.

9 hours ago, Guest guest said:

You really have no idea what this thread is about!

I think I know.  It seems to become about how to bash a qualified foreigner who is contemplating coming to work in Singapore

8 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I agree! $8k? Omg thats shockingly low. I never thought this will happen in singapore and how our wages are suppressed!! Have you not see the documentry Singapore Social about young Singaporeans? They are enjoying Swiss standard of living, drink and party everyday and some stay in hdb flat! What can $8k get you these days? $15k at least for 1st 3 months, after confirm, at least $20k before you decide to stay of leave.

LOL! A young guy making $20k enjoying "Swiss standard of living, drink and party everyday". 

Of course, you are describing a Male Escort specializing in rich and old lonely women :lol:

No skilled technologist starting a career should think of drinking and partying everyday.

3 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Of course! It is very believable that you type in perfect English and hit all the outrage buzzpoints like highlighting your inexperience and inflated salary, making sure to emphasise how you aren't local. A real expat would have been asking more about culture, living conditions and work-life balance.

I'll take the bait.  Have a strong stomach that can digest steel.

A young computer engineer beginner asking about culture, living conditions, work-life balance?  You think all competent gays care first for a nelley life?

Six months after I started my career in a multinational company that lasted over 35 years,  I was working in the desolated fields of vast and cold Tierra del Fuego, making sophisticated measurements in oil wells, and it was all a great experience.  What "culture, living conditions, work-life balance"?

Edited by Steve5380

Guest chill man

if TS thinks its reasonable, why not?

at least he feels good compared to his 1.3bn comrades back home.

Dont benchmark to us Singaporeans cos you're still in the lalang

Guest Grand Cru

Hey guys, I just opened a 2002 St. Emilion Grand Cru for 2.8k, but now after reading this thread feeling like pourring it down the toilet, you can really spoil my mood....

Can't we just enjoy life...

19 hours ago, Guest CRA said:

Yes, it is way too low. I agree.

4 hours ago, Guest Grand Cru said:

Hey guys, I just opened a 2002 St. Emilion Grand Cru for 2.8k, but now after reading this thread feeling like pourring it down the toilet, you can really spoil my mood....

Can't we just enjoy life...

By 2.8k you mean S$2,800 ?  For that money you can drink more than 15 bottles of your 2002 St. Emilion Grand Cru. 

But don't do this while they are paying you 8k per month, because they will kick you out for being in a permanent Delirium Tremens. :lol:

3 years ago I found out that my previous company had shorted my salary. I thought it was big enough but during my stay there in Singapore I didn't priduce good savings because of high standard of living. That is why I resigned and moved back home here in Taiwan. I got a job that is giving me reasonable savings and also closer to my family.

46 minutes ago, Guest Lem29 said:

3 years ago I found out that my previous company had shorted my salary. I thought it was big enough but during my stay there in Singapore I didn't priduce good savings because of high standard of living. That is why I resigned and moved back home here in Taiwan. I got a job that is giving me reasonable savings and also closer to my family.

U stay shan shang is it? Taipei is not a cheap place to stay, rent will kill you..maybe lower but your salary is much lower so dun bull. We are not a certain fat angmo in usa.

1 hour ago, FattChoy said:

I think not only did Raj find out that the locals are incensed with his wage package, there are also no shortage of green eyed racists!

Very useful thread indeed.

I was wondering how powerful your command of English .... chey also got grammar mistake ! 

Thank you all for the encouragement. Since most of you think I got shorted on my salary which supported my thinking as well, I have decided to delay my plan on going to Singapore. I have informed the HR earlier.

7 hours ago, Guest Raj said:

Thank you all for the encouragement. Since most of you think I got shorted on my salary which supported my thinking as well, I have decided to delay my plan on going to Singapore. I have informed the HR earlier.

You are indeed a very smart, sensible and intelligent individual.  

After soliciting opinions here, you decided to reject a job.  Thumb Up ! 

Only if we believe in what you have posted - haha 

seriously..?? singapore social sucks!!! 

watching singapore social on netflix is fucking awfully painful .. watching all these few adults wankers who are rich & successful & hearing them saying & thinking of their issues in life, how they wanna express themselves, issues with relationships, issues with how society views them, with money, who fucks who & yada yada yada..i feel like impaling myself.

i rather watch Lucifer than this kinda of singapore made documentary.. something that its linked to "Daddy issues" & devil trying to turn good with good intentional punt jokes

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.