Male HQ

USA Southern Baptists: sex abusers and one holy Pastor

Steve5380

Southern Baptists are a very conservative group of Christians that hold homosexuality as sinful.  But there is some "do what I preach, not what I do" among them, as described in this recent article:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Abuse-of-Faith-Southern-Baptist-churches-13912529.php

Five years ago one Southern Baptist pastor broke ranks with the denomination by refusing to find homosexuality sinful:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/06/09/southern-baptists-confront-a-third-way-on-homosexuality-and-sin/

and yesterday I watched the video where the Rev. Danny Cortez preaches his new discovery to his church.  I was so moved and impressed by his analysis of homosexuality in the Bible and his discovery of a vindication of gays in St. Paul's "letter to the Romans" that I have to present it to this forum.  I definitely plan to meet and hug this man!

The following video with the speech of Rev. Cortez to his congregation is rather long and not easy to follow.  But please have the patience to listen, it is worth your time.

Guest Juicy Grapes partaking

This pastor changes his mind to accept Homosexuality simply because he realised his own son is Gay.   It is an old video I have watched before.

7 hours ago, Guest Juicy Grapes partaking said:

This pastor changes his mind to accept Homosexuality simply because he realised his own son is Gay.   It is an old video I have watched before.

"simply BECAUSE"?   Unless this pastor is lying,  his son came out to him AFTER he did the research that changed his mind.  Are you challenging causality?

And what about his finding in the letter of Paul?   His rationale must have had some impact, because these strict conservative Southern Baptists didn't throw him out right away but took a time to discuss his position and had to confront a "third way" between homosexuality and sin.  

What is also remarkable is that he did not just read Paul's letter and took it as a matter-of-fact, but he went out to RESEARCH homosexuals. How many religious leaders do this instead of taking the words in the Bible at face value?  Why try to find truth in an old "bible" book instead of going into the world of gays and find out personally that we are indeed decent righteous people?

This video is not too old, and many changes of increasing acceptance of homosexuals have happened since.

Edited by Steve5380

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.