Male HQ

All about Covid-19 Discussion in Singapore (compiled)

Guest Guest

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/covid-19-singapore-confirms-533-new-cases-total-at-32876-070923734.html

COVID-19: Singapore confirms 533 new cases, total at 32,876

SINGAPORE — The Ministry of Health (MOH) reported a preliminary 533 new COVID-19 cases in Singapore as of Wednesday (27 May) noon, bringing the total to 32,876.

Of them, the vast majority are foreign workers living in dormitories, said the ministry, while three remaining cases are Singaporeans or permanent residents.

It added that more details will be provided in its press release issued at night.

Dozens of clusters linked to foreign worker dorms have been identified thus far, including Singapore’s largest cluster of over 2,500 cases linked to S11 Dormitory@Punggol, followed by Sungei Tengah Lodge, Tuas View Dormitory and Jurong Penjuru Dormitory.

They are among the 25 dorms that have been gazetted as isolation areas. Some 400,000 foreign workers live in dorms here in Singapore.

Some 20,000 infected foreign workers are expected to be discharged by the end of this month, said National Development Minister Lawrence Wong at a press conference on 12 May.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/two-more-jurong-west-places-wet-market-and-fair-price-xtra-visited-by-covid-19-cases-151035011.html

Two more Jurong West places, wet market and FairPrice Xtra, visited by COVID-19 cases: MOH

SINGAPORE — Two more places in Jurong West visited by confirmed COVID-19 cases were listed by the Ministry of Health (MOH) on Tuesday (26 May). 

The MOH said in its daily update of COVID-19 infections that the cases had visited the wet market at Block 963 Jurong West Street 91 and FairPrice Xtra at Jurong Point on 24 May. 

It advised persons who had been at the wet market from 6am to 8am and at the FairPrice Xtra outlet from 1pm to 2pm on 24 May to monitor their health closely for 14 days from their date of visit.

They should see a doctor promptly if they develop symptoms such as cough, sore throat and runny nose, as well as fever and loss of taste or smell, and inform the doctor of their exposure history.

The close contacts of the confirmed cases have been notified by the MOH.

A day earlier, the MOH listed the NTUC Fairprice outlet and the Japanese Food Street - both at Jurong Point - as places visited by confirmed COVID-19 cases on 20 May and 21 May respectively.  

34 minutes ago, Since u r here said:

this Russian  slapped with  Multiple charges who repeatedly left house during circuit breaker, threatened to shoot a man at Orchard Plaza

This type of man with so many offences still allow to remain in sinkieland?

Send him back to russia!

1 hour ago, Since u r here said:

Good start.

but dun celebrate too early.
Continue to wear mask.

Pracice safe social distancing

How many of you will need going back to the office from Monday onward?

Are you happy?

Or would you prefer continuing working from home?

What was the biggest hurdle in your view, while staying at home and working at home?

Maybe it is good if you mention how many people have been staying in the same household.

I personally prefer the office. At home I easily get distracted at home or spend too much time preparing 5* meals. For me I m single, nobody to disturb me. Surprisingly, I thought I would do more afternoon naps being at home, but in just did maybe three times. I slept a bit longer in the morning and did not feel tired in the afternoon compared to the office, where I would love taking a nap in the afternoon (what doesn't go). Same goes for the evening, on nights did not feel tired to sleep. I think if you go to an office, you work "harder" and feel tireder at the night and just fall to sleep. Maybe the traveling to and from work adds on to make you feel sleepier at night. Sure, I worked less compared being in the office.

The other annoying thing work-wise  at home is: You don't have all you need always around you.

The good thing was though, I moved more around the flat. At work at the office you tend to sit longer in the chair and move less around the office.But at home you walk to the kitchen get something to drink. Prepare some items for cooking ...

As the swimming pools closed I did less sports. Waiting for them to open. I used my bicycle but that wasn't as much as I should have.

Going to work gives me more vibes to work more focused on my things. At home you play more on the phone and surely write more whatsapp messages or respond to all non work related because nobody is watching you.

One thing I noted from the conference calls was, the home work places overseas seem more decorated with pictures on the walls compared to those in Singapore. Here most were sitting in empty white walls. For the calls to Europeans or Americans it was sometimes interesting to look at the interior of their home workplace. ha ha

How about you?

33 minutes ago, jlone said:

Just when u thought the numbers are going down n then there is a sudden jump.

Because the labs can't complete all the testing, coming out with results directly.

The last days they always wrote something of that sort.

There is a backlog.

There was someone in the thread who said, whole population testing will be difficult as the labs won't be able to manage. The better test kits need to go to a reliable laboratory.

If they have only 300 test results on 1 day, then next day it will jump to 600 when all tests are through the lab if we assume they did 5000 tests.

There could be some intention, but that would be speculation.... 😁

By the way , no need to look at neighbouring countries. Just take Myanmar. They only have like 206 cases but probably only because they don't do any much testing at all. They don't have many test kits. Most test kits have been donated. Numbers will be low.

54 minutes ago, Since u r here said:

U will understand tan cj if u knw the blunder ccs made again! Luv tan cj ! yes i knw some of u dont, but nvm..... i luv him saying pull wool over eyes which means...... muahahahahahaha

Every posted pics abt the cotton and wool thingy in watsapp

A mistake made is a mistake, dun give excuses of all sorts like not enough sleep.

Just be humble n dun be an arrogant goon! 

Edited by jlone
addition of word

Singapore Looks to Rely Less on Foreign Workers After Pandemic

(Bloomberg) -- Singapore will have to find ways to rely less on foreign workers and accelerate the automation of some tasks in its post-pandemic economy, Second Minister for Finance Indranee Rajah told reporters Monday.

“It should be less and less repetitive manual operation and those should be replaced by automation, and the local population can do more on higher value-added activities,” said Rajah. “But this has to be done in stages with caution because we can not just take out all the manual power all of a sudden.”

The topic of foreign workers has come to the fore in the city-state as Covid-19 infections among those living in dormitories have surged, accounting for more than 90% of total confirmed cases in the country. Singapore now has one of the highest numbers of recorded infections in Asia, with almost 35,000 cases.

Separately, Rajah said Singapore will redesign its infrastructure system, with investment, focused on partnerships across the clean energy, public health, information & communications technology sectors while promoting a “friendly regulatory environment,” she said.

Rajah also further outlined a previously announced program with the World Bank Group and Singapore Management University to train senior and mid-level regional government officials involved in project preparation.

Despite the impact of the pandemic, international financial sources remain available and very keen to support clean energy projects, said Rajah, who is also minister in the prime minister’s office.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is pretty much confirmed now.

China caused this outbreak. How?

"They take exotic animals, like civets, porcupines, pangolins, raccoon dogs and bamboo rats, and they breed them in captivity," says Daszak. "China promoted the farming of wildlife as a way to alleviate rural populations out of poverty," Daszak says. The farms helped the government meet ambitious goals of closing the rural-urban divide, as NPR reported last year."
"Peter Daszak, a member of the WHO investigative team sent to Wuhan says wild animal farms in southwest China are likely where the COVID-19 virus first jumped from bats to another animal before infecting humans."
"It was very successful," Daszak says. "In 2016, they had 14 million people employed in wildlife farms, and it was a $70 billion industry." "There was massive transmission going on at that market for sure," says Linfa Wang, a virologist who studies bat viruses at Duke-NUS Medical School in Singapore. He's also part of the WHO investigative team. Wang says that after the outbreak at the Huanan market, Chinese scientists went there and looked for the virus.

1 hour ago, superflawless said:

It is pretty much confirmed now.

China caused this outbreak. How?

"They take exotic animals, like civets, porcupines, pangolins, raccoon dogs and bamboo rats, and they breed them in captivity," says Daszak. "China promoted the farming of wildlife as a way to alleviate rural populations out of poverty," Daszak says. The farms helped the government meet ambitious goals of closing the rural-urban divide, as NPR reported last year."
"Peter Daszak, a member of the WHO investigative team sent to Wuhan says wild animal farms in southwest China are likely where the COVID-19 virus first jumped from bats to another animal before infecting humans."
"It was very successful," Daszak says. "In 2016, they had 14 million people employed in wildlife farms, and it was a $70 billion industry." "There was massive transmission going on at that market for sure," says Linfa Wang, a virologist who studies bat viruses at Duke-NUS Medical School in Singapore. He's also part of the WHO investigative team. Wang says that after the outbreak at the Huanan market, Chinese scientists went there and looked for the virus.

You may care to contact @Kimochi on the political complicity.

• 1 month later...

Only about 15% of Singaporeans are fully vaccinated.  Isn't this a shame?   Only about 60% - 70% of seniors are among them.  What is this hesitancy?  Isn't there enough proof of the efficacy, the necessity of the vaccine?

Those under 45 y.o. must wait until June to start being vaccinated.  Ah... ahhhh... the benefits of being uncles over 45 y.o., a fact so ignored by the gay community!  :lol:

It pays off to be an American grandpa having been fully vaccinated for over 2 months now  :) 

15 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Only about 15% of Singaporeans are fully vaccinated.  Isn't this a shame?   Only about 60% - 70% of seniors are among them.  What is this hesitancy?  Isn't there enough proof of the efficacy, the necessity of the vaccine?

Those under 45 y.o. must wait until June to start being vaccinated.  Ah... ahhhh... the benefits of being uncles over 45 y.o., a fact so ignored by the gay community!  :lol:

It pays off to be an American grandpa having been fully vaccinated for over 2 months now  :) 

Oh. how smug one can get! So you consider yourself lucky to be an uncle over 45 and American. Well, aren't you lucky that you were not one of the 577,000 who have so far died from covid19 in the USA and the others who are destined to die before the pandemic has faded like the Spanish flu? What right have you to criticise the vaccine policy in Singapore? None.

2 hours ago, InBangkok said:

Oh. how smug one can get! So you consider yourself lucky to be an uncle over 45 and American. Well, aren't you lucky that you were not one of the 577,000 who have so far died from covid19 in the USA and the others who are destined to die before the pandemic has faded like the Spanish flu? What right have you to criticise the vaccine policy in Singapore? None.

You didn't understand my post.

I didn't criticize the vaccine policy in Singapore, but I kept criticizing the vaccine deniers, since some BW posters have expressed doubts about getting vaccinated or getting their parents vaccinated.  

And I don't consider myself lucky to have avoided infection.  Instead, I consider myself wise enough to do everything possible to avoid infection.  Although I am fully vaccinated, I still use mask and safe distance everywhere I can come in contact with people,  I avoid large gatherings, airplane trips, and I rarely leave my home except for going to the gym and the grocery store.  But YES!  I feel lucky to be an uncle over 45, nearly a grandpa at 80.   And lucky to live in the USA, now that Trump is gone.  :) 

19 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Only about 15% of Singaporeans are fully vaccinated.  Isn't this a shame?   

We started our vaccination in early Jan 2021 after the first batch of Pfizer arrived. There are so much demand for it world wide and the production is unable to cope with it. As such priority is to be first given to the front liner and the very elderly. It MUST start slow because the effect of the vaccine in local population may varies from those elsewhere. This may be due to both  genetic make up and  biological immunological variations. Thus the authority must be extremely cautious. Never hurry for mass vaccination until one is sure of its safety locally.

By mid Feb about 400K were vaccinated. End April it was more than 2.3M and is now accelerating to cover those in the 40s as more centres are being opened.  Bear in mind those with multiple allergies are excused and this form a fairly good  number of them.

Again in the initial phase before Moderna comes into the picture, there are logistic problems in storing them at -60C

Currently more centres are opened and by Sept 2021, we try to achieve more than 90%.

Frankly Singapore is doing well in this Covid vaccination programs. There may be a need of  booster dose at 18th month later.

15 minutes ago, heman said:

We started our vaccination in early Jan 2021 after the first batch of Pfizer arrived. There are so much demand for it world wide and the production is unable to cope with it. As such priority is to be first given to the front liner and the very elderly. It MUST start slow because the effect of the vaccine in local population may varies from those elsewhere. This may be due to both  genetic make up and  biological immunological variations. Thus the authority must be extremely cautious. Never hurry for mass vaccination until one is sure of its safety locally.

Well, my writing that "it is a shame" should be taken more as a compliment.  You Singaporeans are smart enough to follow all the precautions to avoid infection,  and this more than vaccinations has resulted in your low victimization by the pandemic. 

This is in contrast to America, where the borderline criminal mishandling of the pandemic by the government in 2020 and the idiocy and naivety of large segments of the population made the pandemic in the the USA the worst in the world, until the fast vaccination today is reversing this situation.

I know that you people are special, but I didn't know that you Singaporeans have a different genetic make up and immunological variations.  Why are there many of you with multiple allergies?  You don't seem to have many agricultural fields producing pollens and other allergens, and you are not affected by chewing gum, ha ha.  Vaccinations have started slow everywhere, complying with the usual trials before releasing the vaccines to the public.  Why slow it down much more?  People didn't wait too long in the 40s after penicillin was discovered, even if it was a mold.  As the scientists remark,  the benefits outweigh the risks.   The new mRNA technology in the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines is revolutionary, and it has been extensively studied to the point that some unpredicted side effects falling through the cracks is highly improbable.   Over 100 million have been vaccinated in America already, and no cracks have been discovered. 

I do think the culture and circumstances are very different. Most who are infected or sick have died some time ago, it's more of a case of let me get vaccinated to protect myself.

Here, without substantial infection and deaths, there's worry about this new vaccine which has been "not linked" to some deaths. But you can't go and tell people that those died most likely would have died if they got the real virus. If it haven't happened, it might not happen.

There's actually a tradeoff to get vaccinated here. We should be closer to Taiwan or those places with minimal infections/deaths.

TTSH CLUSTER [updated 4May, 7:42AM by CNA]:

22 patients (8 MALE, 14 FEMALE), 8 Staff + 1 Cleaner, 3 visitors, 1 spouse.

5 more just added by CNA news (today 5pm Asia Now).

No. Dead

Total 40 in cluster.

Edited by yuquidam

9 hours ago, keyboard said:

We should be closer to Taiwan or those places with minimal infections/deaths.

Unfortunately,  we are no where near taiwan and not even HK. This 3 countries should be comparable afterall,  this are the there countries that have gone through SARS, is obvious who have learnt the lesson and who have not. 

Taiwan 1.1k+

HK 11k+

SG 61k +

9 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

Unfortunately,  we are no where near taiwan and not even HK. This 3 countries should be comparable afterall,  this are the there countries that have gone through SARS, is obvious who have learnt the lesson and who have not. 

Taiwan 1.1k+

HK 11k+

SG 61k +

I wouldn't really consider workers dorm, as when one gets infected, it's spreads readily across. Especially considering where they shop, that's just a low target.

To be honest, I don't remember SARS period. In memory it felt only like 2 weeks? I was still going to work in a school that time and students were staying at home.

3 hours ago, keyboard said:

I wouldn't really consider workers dorm, as when one gets infected, it's spreads readily across. Especially considering where they shop, that's just a low target.

To be honest, I don't remember SARS period. In memory it felt only like 2 weeks? I was still going to work in a school that time and students were staying at home.

Unfortunately dorm cases are included in SG total cases and why it is so badly manage? In feb 2020,  we already had cluster in construction site but due to complacency,  they did not probe further, thats why it became like wild fire. Not to mention the no mask policy is a complete failure which eventually lead to the lockdown. 

Only about 30 countries are affected during the SARS, Asia is the worst withTaiwan and HK taking the second and third place and SG in number 5.

Country or region Cases Deaths Fatality (%)
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China[a] 5,327 349 6.6
23px-Flag_of_Hong_Kong.svg.png Hong Kong 1,755 299 17.0
23px-Flag_of_the_Republic_of_China.svg.p Taiwan[b][7][8] 346 73 21.1
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada 251 44 17.5
23px-Flag_of_Singapore.svg.png Singapore 238 33 13.9
23px-Flag_of_Vietnam.svg.png Vietnam 63 5 7.9
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 27 0 0
23px-Flag_of_the_Philippines.svg.png Philippines 14 2 14.3
23px-Flag_of_Thailand.svg.png Thailand 9 2 22.2
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany 9 0 0
23px-Flag_of_Mongolia.svg.png Mongolia 9 0 0
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 7 1 14.3
23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s Australia 6 0 0
23px-Flag_of_Malaysia.svg.png Malaysia 5 2 40.0
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden 5 0 0
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png United Kingdom 4 0 0
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy 4 0 0
23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India 3 0 0
23px-Flag_of_South_Korea_%281997%E2%80%9 South Korea 3 0 0
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Brazil 3 0 0
23px-Flag_of_Indonesia.svg.png Indonesia 2 0 0
23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png South Africa 1 1 100.0
23px-Flag_of_Kuwait.svg.png Kuwait 1 0 0
23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Ireland 1 0 0
23px-Flag_of_Macau.svg.png Macao 1 0 0
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand 1 0 0
23px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png Romania 1 0 0
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia 1 0 0
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Spain 1 0 0
16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png  Switzerland 1 0 0
Total excluding China 2,780 454 16.4
Total (30 territories) 8,110 811 10.0

The mask policy could have been earlier enforced if they don't follow WHO guidelines. Though I think the stockpile issue then was why they didn't want to go ahead with enforcement. Basically you can't enforce something if there's no supply for the mask.

The dorm cases is at that time, there is still a lack of testing and capable testing available. So even if you move them off-site, they will eventually be spreading. Initial reports also seem to point to elderly being more vulnerable of requiring medical care thus at one point, all that was done is give you panadol and lock you up at expo and wait till everyone's symptoms finishes. I don't see the difference if just keeping them locked up on the dorms though and not allow them to go out or if the work site is also locked up but could lead to possible riots if they think it's a deadly virus.

Early 2020 was difficult for them to have a response but not too big a response to cause panic. If you could see them drawing from reserves after that, everything in early 2020 becomes insufficient. Compare no end one.

Precisely,  then just admit no stock for mask as the chinese are snapping up and sent back to china in cartons.

At least people can sew thier own mask or buy online,  i remember my first order was in early mar, cost me $38 for a box but i got no choice as i simply dont trust what they said. 

A glimpse into covid 3rd wave variant in Canada, affecting more younger demographics. Will be a shit show when uncontrolled spread happens here. Looks to be even with oxygen, it's still up to your body to get that oxygen into your blood stream.

Edited by keyboard

12 hours ago, kidster said:

Is this wave more dangerous than the period during CB?

Yes, seem to be so. Might be wrong on this but this is the 3rd mutation they found or don't know what 3 virus combine. More infectious but don't know if more deadly.

17 may 2021 (next Monday) some places will change to tracetogether-only safeentry. Mean only token or tracetogether app. No more IC or safeentry/singpass app. June 1 is the official date.

1 hour ago, keyboard said:

Yes, seem to be so. Might be wrong on this but this is the 3rd mutation they found or don't know what 3 virus combine. More infectious but don't know if more deadly.

17 may 2021 (next Monday) some places will change to tracetogether-only safeentry. Mean only token or tracetogether app. No more IC or safeentry/singpass app. June 1 is the official date.

Does it only track when you check in to buildings or even when you are on the road? Eg. my jogging route haa

3 hours ago, kidster said:

Does it only track when you check in to buildings or even when you are on the road? Eg. my jogging route haa

It uses Bluetooth. If you are using token, that is 24/7 on. It exchanges Bluetooth signals with other Bluetooth devices around it.

If you use app on phone, can turn off (but defeats the purpose of tracetogether).

There's no GPS to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Had slight flu symptoms, likely due to recent weather. So currently compulsory swab test, the feeling is a bit painful after it is done, like when a dick is shoved deep into your anus. After an hour, ok liao, no bleeding.

3 days MC starting today, 48 hours result sent via SMS. Stay home quarantine till then.

Think the clinic is under PHPC, all go wear PPE. Covered under flu symptoms pay only $10 govt subsidized rate. Come to think of it, its been a year subsidy? Didn't feel it should be subsidized for medication but then do people know it is subsidized still?

So those older people who didn't have fever, pain etc due to low immunity. The mRNA will disintegrate in a few days by itself in the body. So there's a possibility that those vaccinated might not have antibodies in them. Surprisingly, nobody thought about testing for antibodies level for those affected.

False immunity.