Male HQ

Discussion on death & dying (compiled)

flyerboy88

Probably a morbid issue to touch on early in the morning but I have been thinking about death. I know many will say it is inauspicious or unlucky to talk about it and no intentional offence to anyone but I do feel it is something that we should not be afraid of because eventually it will come. Rather than running away from it, let’s just face it. Plus I don’t wish to be a burden to anyone and am looking at having my ashes scattered at the CCK Garden of Peace once cremated. Has anyone here prepared a will or even planned their own funeral arrangements?

Edited by flyerboy88

2 hours ago, flyerboy88 said:

Probably a morbid issue to touch on early in the morning but I have been thinking about death. I know many will say it is inauspicious or unlucky to talk about it and no intentional offence to anyone but I do feel it is something that we should not be afraid of because eventually it will come. Rather than running away from it, let’s just face it. Plus I don’t wish to be a burden to anyone and am looking at having my ashes scattered at the CCK Garden of Peace once cremated. Has anyone here prepared a will or even planned their own funeral arrangements?

On contrary to popular beliefs, imo death is a celebration of a beginning of new lease of life. In fact, we are already counting down to death once we are out of our mother's womb. As a Singaporean gay, who choose to stay single for life, mine is simple, crement and scattered into the sea on the same day or the most one night wake will do. 

Edited by amuse.ed

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

5 hours ago, Guest fazzy794 said:

Do you believe that the goal of all life is death?

I believe that the goal of life is not to have a life again.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

5 hours ago, Guest fazzy794 said:

Do you believe that the goal of all life is death?

I don't think that it is known what the goal of life is.

For some reason, life exists.

And living creatures we all are fragile. Death is inevitable sooner or later, 

for example by natural disasters or being eaten by other life forms.

With death being inevitable,  the existence of life depends on reproduction.

What has determined the typical life span of the different species?

Again I think that nobody knows.

On 1/21/2020 at 7:17 AM, Guest fazzy794 said:

Do you believe that the goal of all life is death?

Wrong use of work Goal. Go look up in the dictionary, unless you meant INEVITABLE  EVENTUALITY.

22 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Why should we experience such a journey?

Because biology, the evolutionary product of biochemical reactions, gave us consciousness. So this allows fertilisation to occur; we have organs and intelligence; we experience things

Guest Scary Freak

In recent years, Scientists have been studying  the possibility of immortality by examining creatures with exceptionally long lifes.  I believe, few more generations will be able to see the result.  Me think, only wealthy people will want to live life of an immortal.  

2 minutes ago, chubbiz said:

if our role in this life is to repay for what we did in previous life and to not make the same mistake which we did in previous life, how come we got no memories of that. without that how do we be a better man than before?

hmmmm... 

Shakyamuni had memories of his previous lives.

Quite a few enlightened beings have too. 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest 非人非仙,来去自如者

13 minutes ago, chubbiz said:

if our role in this life is to repay for what we did in previous life and to not make the same mistake which we did in previous life, how come we got no memories of that. without that how do we be a better man than before?

hmmmm... 

不知者无罪。  You are exempted from Karmic cycle. 

The more a person know about Karmic force, the more stress they faced trying to become perfect to avoid it.  Since perfection is impossible  to achieve (人非圣贤) , people became angry and began to commit various vices - in thought, speech, actions - in order to distress themselves for trying hard.  That itself is already a karmic cycle - like Tai Chi bouncing back  at you, at triple strength, if you try to push the force away.  If this is not Karmic force, what is?

18 minutes ago, chubbiz said:

Just a thought. I rather know so that i will not do the same mistake over and over again. 

if everyone remembers their regrets, mistake in their previous life then try to avoid it. wouldn't this world then be a better place?

Similar to any law, think law of gravity for example, everyone in saha world is subject to law of karma, including bodhisattvas. Having said that, karma only means cause and effect.  Karma should not be confused with retribution or punishment. 

The less ignorant a being is, the more enlightened he will be. And when he is more enlightened,  he will recall more of his past lives.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Knowing the past
47 minutes ago, chubbiz said:

Just a thought. I rather know so that i will not do the same mistake over and over again. 

if everyone remembers their regrets, mistake in their previous life then try to avoid it. wouldn't this world then be a better place?

You killed a female mosquito in your precious life which is why you  are Gay in this life. Now that you know. Can you avoid killing a mosquito that landed on your skin?

The goal of a person's life is far more significant than death.  Ever ponder how the creations fall in their rightful places?  Each play its role to facilitate the proper functioning of the other. If we could find the reason we are here, we have found the goal of life. Death is only the end of probation ;)

Why so negative? Be more positive! Why shld goal of life be death? Yes, we will die one day. But there are so many meaningful things for u to make them as goals in your life while u live a positive, balanced, healthy, wise, benevolent life. Each has a potential, but it is up to u to make the best of your life, while riding the ups and downs at times. If u keep lamenting, the world appears to be "lamenting" in your eyes. Sometimes belief and the mind are vital tools. Don"t spread negative vibes to others, not good for u , the other people  and other life forms in other dimensions.

6 hours ago, fab said:

The less ignorant a being is, the more enlightened he will be. And when he is more enlightened,  he will recall more of his past lives.

There is some similarity with this in Christianity.  The more devout a person is, the more he will feel the Christian holy  figures as real.   Many saints have had contacts (visions, conversations) with Jesus, with the Virgin Mary, with other holy figures.  Does this make them real?

And yet, none of them in their state of supernatural awareness had recollections of a past life.  The reason is simple.  Past lives don't exist in the Judeo/Christian religions.  We don't exist prior to our birth.  So, if no prior lives are expected, believed in,  no prior lives are recalled.

Could it be that the states of supernatural awareness,  of enlightenment, are departures from reality?

4 hours ago, Dart said:

The goal of a person's life is far more significant than death.  Ever ponder how the creations fall in their rightful places?  Each play its role to facilitate the proper functioning of the other. If we could find the reason we are here, we have found the goal of life. Death is only the end of probation ;)

I don't see creations falling in their rightful places.  If some order is detected in the biological chain, this means that there is an equilibrium that has no guarantee to last.  Living species have been extinguished and have evolved.   And I don't see that each plays its role to facilitate the functioning of the other.  Should pacific animals be killed and eaten to support the carnivorous?

And what is adequate for the race may not be so for the individual.  Otherwise we gays should be forced to marry and have children to contribute to the perpetuation of our species.

• 1 year later...
24 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

For gay If there is no will who will get the money

If we are single, we take it with us to our graves. 

Convert assets into cash and bank it into the central bank of the "other side" via IB (internet banking) or PayLah or PayNow. Just kidding lah..keke

After keeping aside for retirement (importantly must include travel, and insurance policies for hospitalisation), the rest can put in worthy causes annually, such as the ST School Pocket Money Fund and the BT Budding Artist Fund. Even in giving, prefer to give while am still alive than when dead. More satisfaction mah.

The only asset can't yet dispose off is the property I live in. That would be through a will ba.

Edited by yuquidam

Guest Last

Spend time with family. Transfer all money to them. The last few hours, either go to beach or mountain to watch sunset or sunrise.

Guest Guest

This is one of the many websites that says what will happen 

Laws of Intestacy in Singapore (gjclaw.com.sg) 

Laws of Intestacy in Singapore

In the absence of a will, your estate will be distributed in accordance to Singapore’s Intestate Succession Act. This does not apply if you are of Islamic faith.

According to Section 7 of the Intestate Succession Act, the priority of distribution is as follows: (1) Spouse, children (2) Parents (3) Siblings (4) Grandparents (5) Aunts and Uncles.

Here is a simplified version of the rules found in Section 7:

Rule 1: Where the deceased has left behind a surviving spouse but has no children and no surviving parents, the spouse shall be entitled to the whole of the estate

Rule 2: Where the deceased has left behind a surviving spouse and children, the spouse shall be entitled to ½ of the estate

Rule 3: Where the deceased has left behind children but has no surviving spouse or surviving parent, the children shall be entitled to the estate in equal proportions. If a child has passed away too, then the grandchildren can legally represent him/ her to claim their parents’ portion of the estate

Rule 4: Where the deceased has left behind a surviving spouse and surviving parent(s) but has no children, the spouse shall be entitled to ½ of the estate and the parent(s) to the other ½

Rule 5: Where the deceased has left behind surviving parent(s), but has no surviving spouse or children, the parents shall be entitled to the whole of the estate (each parent will get ½)

Rule 6: Where the deceased has left behind siblings but has no surviving spouse, children or parents; the siblings shall be entitled to the whole of the estate in equal proportions. If a sibling has passed away too, then the children of the sibling can legally represent their parent to claim their parents’ portion of the estate.

Rule 7: Where the deceased has left behind grandparents but has no surviving spouse, children, parents or siblings, the grandparents shall be entitled to the whole of the estate (each grandparent will get ½)

Rule 8: Where the deceased has left behind aunts and uncles but has no surviving spouse, children, parents, siblings or grandparents, the aunts and uncles shall be entitled to the whole of the estate in equal proportions

Non-compliance with the above rules will lead to the Government being entitled to the whole estate.

13 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

This is one of the many websites that says what will happen 

Laws of Intestacy in Singapore (gjclaw.com.sg) 

Laws of Intestacy in Singapore

In the absence of a will, your estate will be distributed in accordance to Singapore’s Intestate Succession Act. This does not apply if you are of Islamic faith.

According to Section 7 of the Intestate Succession Act, the priority of distribution is as follows: (1) Spouse, children (2) Parents (3) Siblings (4) Grandparents (5) Aunts and Uncles.

Here is a simplified version of the rules found in Section 7:

Rule 1: Where the deceased has left behind a surviving spouse but has no children and no surviving parents, the spouse shall be entitled to the whole of the estate

Rule 2: Where the deceased has left behind a surviving spouse and children, the spouse shall be entitled to ½ of the estate

Rule 3: Where the deceased has left behind children but has no surviving spouse or surviving parent, the children shall be entitled to the estate in equal proportions. If a child has passed away too, then the grandchildren can legally represent him/ her to claim their parents’ portion of the estate

Rule 4: Where the deceased has left behind a surviving spouse and surviving parent(s) but has no children, the spouse shall be entitled to ½ of the estate and the parent(s) to the other ½

Rule 5: Where the deceased has left behind surviving parent(s), but has no surviving spouse or children, the parents shall be entitled to the whole of the estate (each parent will get ½)

Rule 6: Where the deceased has left behind siblings but has no surviving spouse, children or parents; the siblings shall be entitled to the whole of the estate in equal proportions. If a sibling has passed away too, then the children of the sibling can legally represent their parent to claim their parents’ portion of the estate.

Rule 7: Where the deceased has left behind grandparents but has no surviving spouse, children, parents or siblings, the grandparents shall be entitled to the whole of the estate (each grandparent will get ½)

Rule 8: Where the deceased has left behind aunts and uncles but has no surviving spouse, children, parents, siblings or grandparents, the aunts and uncles shall be entitled to the whole of the estate in equal proportions

Non-compliance with the above rules will lead to the Government being entitled to the whole estate.

Well written!!

Rule 2...need to add "remaining half share divided equally amongst children. If children pass...their children (grandchildren of deceased) can claim the share.

If any person wants to leave his assets to his partner (not married)...better write a will to indicate his intentions.  It can get ugly if there is no will and property is part of assets.

Same for insurance.  Insurance policies now do not have nominations, especially policies from private insurers.  Only NTUC policies have nominations as NTUC is under a co-op so they have slightly different processes.  

Guest Peace of Mind

Rich man's problem.  No point leaving behind anything for your pesky relatives or people you hated all your life to suck on the fruit of your's efforts upon your passing.   Spend and enjoy your our labour, travelling around the world and leave the property to diminish it values.  Only then, you can finally say good bye, with no worry whatsoever, after having enjoyed your last life on earth.   The best WILL is, to leave behind a message how you wanted yourself disposed, thru SEA, AIR or LAND.

Guest Practical
6 hours ago, Guest Humm said:

If you knew you were going to die by sunrise, how would you spend your last day?

Start building and decorating your own grave, and engrave your favorite verses on your tombstone and then lay there and smile.

• G_M changed the title to Discussion on death & dying (compiled)
  • G_M locked this topic