Male HQ

How to be a radio dj?

Guest keanesee

Guest keanesee

Anyone knows how to become a radio DJ? I'm graduating this year and hope to enter the radio industry and talk over the mic.

I've done some research and found a article on it but its in chinese so i used google translate to let me understand it, but wondering if the author is true.

----

As a radio DJ in Singapore, you must have a very important innate condition: good sound and sound quality. This is not the day after tomorrow. Others, Qin can make up for it. Word biting, pronunciation, sound mastery and clarity, and even accents can be practiced and honed. Of course, you would say that someone from a certain station reported that the news of Chaozhou is very heavy, and some funny artists can also be DJs, but that is not their professional career. I mean, DJ as your lifelong career. Moreover, these so-called special cases generally have outstanding performance in other fields, such as film, television or other media fields, and are deeply loved by the masses. The support they receive does not rely on the charm of sound.

Broadcasting is beautiful, but it is also the most realistic industry. I don't believe that social media such as Facebook Live and Instagram Live can completely change the overall environment of Singapore broadcasts. It is at most an auxiliary exposure tool. However, I think that the beauty of broadcasting lies in its distance and imagination. When the pictures in the live broadcast room are naked on your fluorescent screen, the DJ chats with carelessness, but destroys the mood and the feeling of listening to songs. At least I think so.

There is one more point that I think is important, please don't think that broadcasting can make you rich. Although the broadcast effect is great, it is likely to make you popular overnight and let you walk on the street and someone will recognise you. However, it is a double-edged sword. Before joining any broadcast competition or job application, ask yourself, what do you love to broadcast? What do you hope to get?

10 years of broadcasting, let me come up with an answer of my own. I like the gentleness of the radio, it drifts away, looming, but gives you positive energy when you need it most. It's like an invisible key, letting you walk into a moving car, one by one, the tedious house, let you communicate with an injured or tired heart with the clearest, simple and clean voice. In 10 years, I encountered many examples that moved me. 4 years ago, a 32-year-old man called in on a late-night show and said, "I've been listening. Thank you Nation is good for accompanying me. What you just shared made me cry, I know you are Tell me, but I still cry because it's so my story. "

It was later discovered that he had just divorced and was extremely depressed. I have forgotten what was shared that day, but I still remember his trembling slightly, but there is a voice of gratitude, which is transmitted through Whatsapp audio. That night, I couldn't sleep, I didn't know I was happy to get the full trust of a stranger ... You can trust me so, share your heart with me, or. . . My influence has become more and more powerful, and I have become popular, or? ? But I also became scared, because the radio started to fuel my vanity. I started to pay more attention to whether others noticed me, whether I praised my voice for being good or not, and whether the program was doing well.

In the following months, or even one or two years, I didn't watch the audience's SMS at all and simply shared because I wanted to get back to the original intention of broadcasting.

I have said so much, but I just want to say…. Broadcasting can make you popular, but if this is why you are engaged in this industry, I think you should think twice because you may lose yourself in the middle.

Broadcasting is not like most people think that the basic salary is actually less than other industries, but there are indeed opportunities to earn extra money (such as the opportunity to host outdoor activities), but not everyone. Behind the glory is a lot of effort. Some people even worked hard all their lives and gave up.

However, if you understand or have experienced the beauty of broadcasting, I hope you can continue to work hard to become the next generation of presenters.

Next, I will answer the questions sent to me by listeners in the past few years in a question and answer manner to answer your questions about broadcasting. Of course, my reply is for reference only, not absolute.

This article cannot fully tell you how Singapore ’s broadcast media ecosystem is, but if you have any questions, you can leave a message and I will try to reply.

How to enter the broadcasting industry? How do you enter?

• Generally speaking, radio stations will not advertise in classified sections of newspapers or on recruitment websites. DJs usually stand out from DJ competitions, or are self-recommended, and record the audio on their own and send it to the radio station, hoping that the owner of the radio station can give themselves an interview.
    • The competition will generally test the news broadcast, on-site response, town ability, and personal charm. Among them, the shape of the dress is also considered.
    • If you want to record the audio and send it to the radio station yourself, you need to prepare: (1) news broadcast clips, (2) personal introductions, and (3) simulated hosting clips, which can be discussing a news, etc. The emphasis is on the expression of language ability, the ability to organize, and the charm of voice. So recording with a good microphone will greatly increase the points.

How many radio stations are there in Singapore? What does a DJ's job include?

• There are currently 19 radio stations in Singapore, which are operated by three major broadcasters; they are New Media (a total of 11), Singapore Press Holdings (a total of 5) and So Drama Entertainment (a total of 2), and another International Broadcasting Station (BBC).
    • Each company has different requirements for DJ work, but basically, in addition to being responsible for their own shifts, there are also recording of advertisements, writing of advertising manuscripts, radio activities and outdoor event hosting, etc. The average weekly working time is not what the public thinks, only Need to show up on On Air time (unless you are a freelance DJ worker).
    • In terms of salary, each DJ has a different value proposition, as if you go to the market to buy fruits and vegetables. Of course, organic vegetables and fruits are more expensive than ordinary vegetables and fruits, and of course the service targets are different. But some seniors have said that unless you are very popular, of course, you will earn less than those in the financial industry, and much less. Many times attend the event, DJ's clothes are rented, not own.

I have a heavy locale, is it still suitable for broadcasting in Singapore? How to practice slang?

• There are actually many local radio stations from China, Malaysia and other places. Even TV news anchors are the same. How do they get the audience to accept it? At the very least, the bite should be clear, and the tone, tone and charm of the speech should be acceptable to the public.
    • In my case, my mother is from Malaysia and has a strong Malaysian tone. How do I debug myself? Some people talk about tongue twisters, and b, p, m, and f are full. But from a young age, I stand on the shoulders of giants to learn, imitate the way the news anchor pronounces, and even subtle when he is talking, his mouth Shape change.
    • Imitation is the fastest way for me, but it takes a while, and the haste is not reached.

What else does a DJ need? What's the most important?

• I personally think that DJs have something they like. Because only by sharing what you like can you marry and persuade. Of course, you also need to know a little about everything that happens around you, because you are always at the forefront, you need to disseminate information on timely topics, and you must master the most basic content to be effective.
    • Be clear. You don't have to start, the subject, the content, and then the end, and you don't need to use songs to link (many people will use the song name to extend the story or discuss the content, which is actually a very old-fashioned broadcast).
    • Personal charm, in your own way, attract your audience. Your voice, content, and even personal experience. This ca n’t be taught, and some DJs wo n’t even have it for a lifetime.
    • For senior DJs, good rhetoric, good personality and image style, high ability to understand the truth, and accurate pronunciation are the most important. But to get a spot in 19 radio stations in Singapore, you need WOW to reach your audience even more. How to do it? There is no standard answer.
    • However, one thing is constant: the information that the DJ says must be accurate, fair, and honest, and never vilify others.

What is unique to Singapore Broadcasting?

• If you look closely at the radio listening rate survey period from March to May and September to November, Nielsen survey companies were mainly employed in the past to conduct sample surveys. The survey method is to draw 2,000 people from the public and use M-data (tracking mobile phone listening habits) or handwritten Radio Diary (every 15 minutes) to record your daily radio listening habits. Generally, people who participate in the survey will receive gift certificates ranging from about 20-50 yuan as a reward. Don't underestimate this part, because these collected numbers will affect the fate of a radio station, how much money the ads sell, etc. As for credibility, people in the industry generally only use it as a reference.
  • Broadcasting in Singapore is regulated in three parts, including treaties such as IMDA's Free-to-air Radio Programme Code, Singapore's Constitution and Law, and self-censorship by individual companies.
  • Limited to the "Speaking Chinese Campaign", dialect songs and shows are banned locally (except news clips).
  • Very important! !! Local DJs can't change songs, so there will be a Music Director like me!

What things / materials to imitate?

• A basket of password twisters, news clips, and news reports can be found on the Internet. The point is, record it and listen to it. Are you talking like a "human"? Or a robot?
  • A good broadcast is no different to me when talking to friends. Of course, please omit the obscenities. Haha.

Does DJ have only one style?

This question is very good. You can be a DJ who specializes in news, current affairs, finance, soft information, sports, or emotional, special health care. But if you want to make sure your income is stable, you also have to act as an advertising dub and radio drama actor to increase your income stream. But the DJ must be witty and witty. For me, radio is not a show, is a normal human conversation.

Can DJs express their views freely?

As mentioned above, Singapore is still subject to some legal regulations, religious, political, ethnic and even sexual orientation issues are sensitive and must be handled with care. In addition, as long as you understand your audience's age, living habits, and what they are interested in, the topic can basically be developed by yourself. For example, it may not be appropriate to talk about hospice care during the program.

Do I have to feel like one-on-one communication?

When I was studying, my teacher and I said that remember to use "we" and "me" in broadcasting because broadcasting is an "intimate" communication. However, you must know where your bottom line is. If a listener calls in and says to commit suicide, treats you as a life buoy. At this time, please do not meet with him without permission, try to collect more information, and give it to professionals such as Counselors and police handle.

What is a good talkset?

First of all, people who ask this question must have been exposed to broadcasting. Because Talkset itself is a broadcasting term (Jargon). Talkset refers to the window between the song and the song where the DJ opened the mic. Because there is no picture in the broadcast, your adjectives must be sufficient and people must have a sense of the picture, make people feel that the dialogue is sincere and there is no distance, use music to create some atmosphere at the right time, and occasionally add some surprises is a plus.

Brushing is a taboo?

In fact, every DJ hosting style is different. The so-called brush plate is to pull the fader every few words to fill the breathing space and fill it with background music. A senior told me that this is an old-fashioned approach, but many DJs are still doing it, because they still need time to think, and the subconscious action is to brush the disk. However, for me, if my thinking ability is not fast enough, it is not a good DJ, so the brushwork highlights that the homework is not enough, and can you imagine it? Those who listened felt that at a nightclub, they always heard someone open and close the door. The music was high and low, which was the effect of brushing the plate.

What's your favorite broadcast?

I define myself as a Wen Qing DJ, mainly sharing my life experience, so that when people are lonely, I also feel that I am an ordinary person. I also give occasional opinions and thoughts on some social phenomena, but sometimes also act as facilitators to give listeners hope. But I am also a human, and occasionally feel sad and emo. I never cover it up in the air, and I even say, "I'm feeling down today because ..." Remember, DJs are humans, not robots, they get angry, It's normal to be happy and sad.

Existing broadcast type? How does it affect me?

News programs (current affairs, financial commentary), talk shows (including social issues), drama shows (radio plays), entertainment shows (comprehensive nature, games), music shows, advertising shows, targeted programs (children's shows, women's shows, senior citizenship) Programs), information service programs (matchmaker programs), Internet radio programs (podcasts), etc. In fact, the focus is not on what type of program you are doing, but on what time period, because this represents whether your income is substantial. In the Singapore media, 7-9am and 5-7pm are the golden age of broadcasting. If you are in these two shifts, Generally speaking, the income is not too bad, and it is the main target of the radio station, because most people listen during this period.

Can DJ change the press release?

Generally not, but if you feel that the audience will be misled, you can change it slightly. In the original text, if long-term consumption of fungal foods can cause cancer , listeners may hear that long-term consumption of fungal foods can cure cancer . At this time, you can replace the last few words with words that increase the risk of getting cancer.

The most wasteful DJ opening remarks?

"We don't talk much nonsense, we will ...", "Time is almost over", "Thank you very much for supporting me", "SMS number, you know, xxxx", "xxx has a traffic accident, and xxx has traffic Accidents, xxxx is also a traffic accident. (Or to sum up, there are traffic accidents in several places, respectively ....) "

What do DJs often do?

Many DJs are afraid of deadair, so they will play the underlying music, so sometimes after entering the song, they can still hear the deep music playing. There are also DJs who forgot to turn off mic to laugh at the calls from the audience before, even like pre-recorded programs, and then did not know that they were live assist, but were captured. (Many radio programs are actually pre-recorded, especially on weekends.)

How to catch "fake" shows?

Program arrangement is cumbersome, but as a music director, it is easy to find out whether the DJ is hosting the scene or pre-recording the show. For example, when broadcasting time, news, weather, or even removing these linkers, you know that he is not in the live room. ) Or, a few of his backsell songs were not played because they were skipped by the system due to timeouts or various reasons.

--------

I have never heard this DJ's name before though he says he's in the industry for 10 odd years.

Anyway the source is https://imguohao.com/2020/03/01/%e5%a6%82%e4%bd%95%e6%88%90%e4%b8%ba%e4%b8%80%e5%90%8d%e7%94%b5%e5%8f%b0dj-how-to-be-a-radio-dj/

But I went to hear his sound demos and he sounded good.

Or any friends/ friends of DJ can advise how to enter the industry?

• 1 year later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.