Male HQ

Exercises for developing abs

begleitung

There's no such thing as instant six-pack. It requires time and dedication.

Sixpacks are made in the kitchen. You have to hit 15% bodyfat or lower for it to show up nicely. I am no expert in nutrition so I can't help much on the diet stuff.

If I would you, I would focus more on developing core strength and stability as they are part of your daily movements and will help you in majority of complex exercises such as pull ups and deadlift. Incoporate at least one core strength exercise and one core stability exercise as a part of your workout routine.

Core strength:

- V-up's

- Back extension

- Wood chop

- Russian twist

Core stability:

- Plank variation

- Boat pose

- Hip bridge

In the gym, you can take these workouts and progress it with tools like med balls, kettlebells, weight plates and cables.

Hopefully this will give you a small guideline on your six-pack journey 👌

Edited by vicerean

Guest Chiva Som

Best abs exercises are done in the kitchen.

DO your regular core exercises like planks, vertical knee ups, choppers, etc and focus on what you put in your body.

Honestly, if you are not competing you only need your normal daily intake of protein from food like beef, eggs and chicken. 

In the kitchen, pay attention to the quality of the food. Lower your sugar and fat gradually. No fad diets.

During this Covid 19...simply controlling the quality of the food led me to lose 2kg in 2 weeks easily and I dun lose weight so easily when I work.

Stay discipline. Stay safe.

Main aim is to burn belly fat. And that means total whole body fats as well. If you do not burn away body fat your abs will be covered by the fats. Crunches and abs exercises can come later or if you already added into your fat burning regime you can temporarily forget it. 

So as what the rest say. Your input vs output. You are what you eat. Plan for Rest and recovery too. 

Need to plan and discipline and stick closely. 

I am also burning my fats during this COVID19 period. 

There are three criteria for having abs:

• Body-fat percentage
    • About ~ 9% and lower body fat needed.

• Development of abdominal muscles
    • Low body fats must be accompanied by abdominal muscle development otherwise it would look flat without much definition.

• Room lighting
    • Good room lighting when taking those glamour pics :) . Everyone uses those on social media.

How to target them:

• Body-fat percentage
    • Cardio and diet.
    • Diet is actually more important than cardio but you will still need cardio regardless. You will need very good diet. Suggested advise is to acquire a bathroom scale and to keep track of your nutrition and body weight with a diary on hand. Some might use periodic pictures of themselves to keep visual track of their progress.
    • Cardio can be done via skipping ropes (during MCO/CB sessions) or a jog/run. If you are in good health and you have already been doing consistent running for sometime, you might want to try HIITs training (dash for 30 seconds and jog for 60 seconds) for an appropriate number. Start with low HIITs number first to make it easier and make it easier for your body to adapt slowly.

• Develop abs muscles
    • Body weight with crunches (upper abs), reverse crunches (lower abs), side oblique crunches, hanging leg raises and add some weights to them in a safe manner for more challenging workout. Regardless what type of abdominal workout you do, if the body-fat percentage section is not properly done, this will have significantly lowered effectiveness.

• Room lighting
    • Good camera
    • Good lighting
    • You need to experiment it on your own.

2 minutes ago, begleitung said:

but in my case i need to gain weight, besides building the muscles. At the moment it is just a flat stomach plus (ugly) rib bones

Do body weight exercises like sit-ups, crunches, hanging leg raises (requires pull up bar if available) and other abs exercises. Once you could easily do more than 20 of them without rushing and all done in a strict manner, you could start to add weights or use water bottles if weights are not available. If you have access to abs rollers those would be useful as well.

In essence, to build muscles, you need more resistance and that can be done the same way as building any muscles, to use more and more weights in a safe manner.

• 3 weeks later...

5 hours ago, begleitung said:

There can be as many diet plans as you can imagine out there that the fitness industry wants to sell to you but the most important portion is whatever you eat, it becomes part of you. If your overall caloric intake is higher than what you will burn off and need in a day, those will be stored as fats. The different diets can drill down to how much fats and types of fat intake and all that. End of the day, the simplest thing to begin with is knowing how much your total daily energy expenditure (total energy/calories burn a day) and then map a diet suiting it. If you are on a leaning or cutting, you want to slightly lower your intake unless you are aggressively cutting. Once you lowered the intake, the body has to turn to somewhere to get energy which is the stored reserves.

Lower bodyfats means that with lesser fats covering all your muscles you can much more clearly see the muscles underneath the fats and skin layer and to translate to abs, you get to see the abdominal muscles much more clearly since there are lesser fats covering.

48 minutes ago, Cernunnos said:

There can be as many diet plans as you can imagine out there that the fitness industry wants to sell to you but the most important portion is whatever you eat, it becomes part of you. If your overall caloric intake is higher than what you will burn off and need in a day, those will be stored as fats. The different diets can drill down to how much fats and types of fat intake and all that. End of the day, the simplest thing to begin with is knowing how much your total daily energy expenditure (total energy/calories burn a day) and then map a diet suiting it. If you are on a leaning or cutting, you want to slightly lower your intake unless you are aggressively cutting. Once you lowered the intake, the body has to turn to somewhere to get energy which is the stored reserves.

Lower bodyfats means that with lesser fats covering all your muscles you can much more clearly see the muscles underneath the fats and skin layer and to translate to abs, you get to see the abdominal muscles much more clearly since there are lesser fats covering.

Thank you for the tips as usual. 

in my case, i am trying to gain weight and i do not want to take supplements, no matter what they say about how safe they claim to be; they probably are anyway. 

32 minutes ago, begleitung said:

i am trying to gain weight

Just eat more than your caloric intake if you want to increase more weight. Of course this doesn't mean you anyhow eat. Increasing caloric intake in a healthy manner where you calculate your total daily energy expenditure and then add abit more calories bit by bit in a controlled fashion. Use online tools that calculate your TDEE and then just increase your TDEE by a little bit more. I don't think I would go into exact details here because I am not a certified to do so as a health advisor so I will leave it to those who have the certification to give you more details.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.