Male HQ

Britpop Rules

The first thread was closed, thought of sharing some classic brit pop and their early clips.

The first one I came across during CB is Pet Shop Boys' West End Girls.

There have been different clips of the performance of this song, usually it's theatrical with Chris Lowe as the silent and expressionless keyboardist, much like Vince Clark.

Here is a youthful version of the song, maybe it's a first release as it sounded quite different from the one I'm more familiar with. 

The last 2 seconds showed a playful side of Chris Lowe.

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Creatures first surfaced in 1981 as a side project of Siouxsie and the Banshees frontwoman Siouxsie Sioux and the band's drummer, Budgie.

Here's their cover of Herbie Mann's Right Now from 1983,

which peaked at No. 14 in the UK Singles Chart.

Edited by steppenwolf

On 5/8/2020 at 3:20 PM, glowingember said:

While discussing 80s brit music with a friend many years back, he mentioned New Order's Blue Monday.

I wasn't quite drawn to it then, but later it became one of my go-to music.

I like Mash-ups, and I think this one's quite well done,

or is it a case of love it or hate it?

• 3 months later...

So far, I am only familiar with Dead Or Alive's You Spin me Round. I just came across Turn Around and Turn to 10. It's very catchy. Could have been an early Kylie song or an 80s Cantopop.

Edited by glowingember

Recent nostalgia...I decided to revisit Frankie Goes To Hollywood. I remember they were a phenomenon then. Looking at the Relax video now, wow, it's extreme, even if I'm comparing it with current standard.

And Power of Love, sung by a very obvious gay group in 1984, depicting the nativity scene, should outraged many people then. 

Sometimes, TPOL still gives me goosebumps...it's hauntingly beautiful.

Sometimes I wish Pet Shop Boys is given more airplay...

This sad song wasn't released as a single, but melody-wise and lyrics-wise, I love it.

The way it used to be.

Another of my all-time favourite: Miserablism. Is being miserable a common theme for them?

• 2 weeks later...

A cover of Oasis’ single performed by BBC Radio 2 Allstars, comprising of 24 artists including Kylie Minogue, Cher, Robbie Williams, Mel C, Paloma Faith and Nile Rodgers is on course to claim Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart this Friday...

In December 1984, another notable charity single made it to number 1 too, and this needs no introduction at all...

Both are great songs, and for good causes too,

but how many of the artistes can you identify and name in the current one?

More importantly how many of them are actually British?

With Billie Eilish new single Therefore I Am also in the running for this week's top spot,

and last week's chart-topper, Ariana Grande continues to prove a powerhouse on streaming services,

can Brit Pop really & still rules?

God Save the Queen, may God save Brit Pop too...

Edited by steppenwolf

On 11/19/2020 at 2:27 PM, steppenwolf said:

A cover of Oasis’ single performed by BBC Radio 2 Allstars, comprising of 24 artists including Kylie Minogue, Cher, Robbie Williams, Mel C, Paloma Faith and Nile Rodgers is on course to claim Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart this Friday...

"Ariana Grande’s Positions has clinched a fourth week at Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart following a close race to the finish line.  The track earned 44,600 chart sales including 5.6 million streams to continue its reign at the top, pipping close competition from Billie Eilish’s new single Therefore I Am – which lands just 960 chart sales behind at Number 2, Billie’s fourth Top 5 hit.

The BBC Radio 2 Allstars’ charity cover of Oasis’ Stop Crying Your Heart Out, in aid of BBC Children In Need finishes at Number 7, and is the most downloaded single of the week with over 22,000 digital download sales..."

(Source: https://www.officialcharts.com/)

lg_aydo_7_white_no_card.jpg

I'm never a fan of Oasis or the Gallagher brothers,

but Liam Gallagher's Christmas offering this year does sound promising, or at least the first few notes does...

For the first time, I really hope he can claim the much coveted Christmas #1 this year,

and bring back some hope for Brit Pop...

Edited by steppenwolf

Paloma has been consistent.I like her. Somehow she reminds me of a cross between Tracy Ullman and Florence...in a good way.

Band Aids' Do they know it's X'mas? was such incredible news in those days. 

But I remembered feeling underwhelmed when it was released as a single. But it's stood the test of time. Still a great hit which led to the different versions.

Battle between Oasis and Blur...wasn't caught by the battle then. Though I much prefer Blur and Damon Albarn.

Feeling nostalgic, here's Sinead in her glamourous self.

My favourite Blur song...done by Pet Shop Boys

Sinead - this is her most epic song (for me)...she seems to self-implode with so much energy and emotion.

My teenhood song from Thompson Twins - We are detective. 

It sounds kiddie now but loved it then...also I used to find Tom Bailey attractive. And Alannah Currie reminds me of Ana Matronic.

Edited by glowingember
Grammar

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 12:48 PM, steppenwolf said:

LadBaby topped the Christmas singles chart for the past 2 years with covers in aid of a food bank charity...

Will this parody cover of Journey's Don't Stop Believin' be their third consecutive Christmas Number 1 this year?

All will be revealed this Friday...

Well done LadBaby, they did it!!!

And guess what sneaked in at #5?

Take a bow Boris " F***ing C***" Johnson!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.