Male HQ

Britpop Rules

35 minutes ago, glowingember said:

Matt Goss and Luke Goss - The twins that made up Bros (with the cousin).

They were gorgeous.

Oh, I didn't know the third guy is their cousin (he's Craig Logan, but more often known as Ken because nobody fancied him in the Bros trio),

he did help Mel Appleby of Mel & Kim to launch her solo career though...

I do miss the sisters performing together,

gone too soon Mel Appleby...

42 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Oh, I didn't know the third guy is their cousin (he's Craig Logan, but more often known as Ken because nobody fancied him in the Bros trio),

he did help Mel Appleby of Mel & Kim to launch her solo career though...

Some find Craig cuter than the twins actually.

120px-Zoso.svg.png

26 minutes ago, angel_dust said:

Some find Craig cuter than the twins actually.

I can't agree more with you,

and he's more talented too, just found out these little nuggets from Wiki...

• In early 1989, Logan left Bros to focus on songwriting and producing. Kim Appleby's song "Don't Worry", which he co-wrote with Appleby (who he also managed) and George Deangelis, was nominated for an Ivor Novello Award in the 'Best Contemporary Song' category in 1991

• At the age of 25, Logan joined EMI Music as VP of International, which he ran for three years. During this time, he worked with a range of artists including Robbie Williams, Tina Turner, Iron Maiden and Garth Brooks.

• In 1999, Logan left EMI to work with artist manager Roger Davies. He went on to oversee worldwide tours and releases for acts including Tina Turner, Sade, Joe Cocker and M People before meeting Pink, whom he signed and co-managed with Davies for several years.

• In 2006, Logan joined SonyBMG UK (now Sony Music) as the Managing Director of the RCA Label Group. Working with acts such as Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, Pink, Sade, Alicia Keys, The Script etc., achieving label of the year after his first 12 months.

• He left Sony Music in 2010 to start his new venture, Logan Media Entertainment (LME), which was established in 2011. LME now have offices in both London and Los Angeles and the company is currently managing Anastacia, Dido, Alfie Boe, Imelda May, Beverley Knight, Roachford and Lara Fabian. As well as having a record label (HiTea) and a publishing imprint.

3 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

I can't agree more with you,

and he's more talented too, just found out these little nuggets from Wiki...

• In early 1989, Logan left Bros to focus on songwriting and producing. Kim Appleby's song "Don't Worry", which he co-wrote with Appleby (who he also managed) and George Deangelis, was nominated for an Ivor Novello Award in the 'Best Contemporary Song' category in 1991

• At the age of 25, Logan joined EMI Music as VP of International, which he ran for three years. During this time, he worked with a range of artists including Robbie Williams, Tina Turner, Iron Maiden and Garth Brooks.

• In 1999, Logan left EMI to work with artist manager Roger Davies. He went on to oversee worldwide tours and releases for acts including Tina Turner, Sade, Joe Cocker and M People before meeting Pink, whom he signed and co-managed with Davies for several years.

• In 2006, Logan joined SonyBMG UK (now Sony Music) as the Managing Director of the RCA Label Group. Working with acts such as Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, Pink, Sade, Alicia Keys, The Script etc., achieving label of the year after his first 12 months.

• He left Sony Music in 2010 to start his new venture, Logan Media Entertainment (LME), which was established in 2011. LME now have offices in both London and Los Angeles and the company is currently managing Anastacia, Dido, Alfie Boe, Imelda May, Beverley Knight, Roachford and Lara Fabian. As well as having a record label (HiTea) and a publishing imprint.

He's indeed talented!

120px-Zoso.svg.png

image.jpg

'I won't see another Christmas' - Sarah Harding

Sales of Girls Aloud track Hear Me Out have surged as fans campaign to get the song back into the Official Singles Chart in honour of Sarah Harding, as she releases her autobiography of the same name.   Last year Sarah revealed she was battling breast cancer and earlier this week shared the sad news in an extract from the memoir where she was told: "The upcoming Christmas would would probably be my last"...

Edited by steppenwolf

Tim Chadwick is a super-underrated British singer-songwriter of recent times, originally from Ireland. 
He doesn’t even have a Wikipedia page! All his songs gives me the 80s vibes. 
This track in particular is my favourite, released in 2018 and racked up just a measly 26k+ views on YouTube. 

Weak in the Presence of Beauty - one of the bigger hits for Alison Moyet released in early 1987.  Reached #6 in the UK. However, this song was actually a remake of a song written and released by British band Floy Joy a year earlier, taken from their album also called Weak in the Presence of Beauty. Their version only reached #85 in the UK, but charted slightly better than Alison’s version in the Australia. I like both versions equally and both have their own distinct esthetics. 

On 3/28/2021 at 6:03 PM, barney1977 said:

Weak in the Presence of Beauty - one of the bigger hits for Alison Moyet released in early 1987.  Reached #6 in the UK. However, this song was actually a remake of a song written and released by British band Floy Joy a year earlier, taken from their album also called Weak in the Presence of Beauty. Their version only reached #85 in the UK, but charted slightly better than Alison’s version in the Australia. I like both versions equally and both have their own distinct esthetics. 

Let's do a covers-did-better-than-the-originals sharing shall we?

Cross My Heart - one of my favourite 80s song.

I think in order of releases, it should be Tracie Spencer, Eighth Wonder and lastly Martika - all in 1988! My favourite of course is Eighth Wonder’s version. And... not to forget there’s Canto-pop version from the great Sandy Lam, also released in 1988!

Guest Guest

i recently found this song Blured Lines! Its so good. Its so underground and hip that only the cool kids listen too. I dislike pop music like arianna or justin biebs or one direction who are ruling the charts.

That’s What Love Can Do - originally released by Boy Krazy in 1991 as a 5-piece all-girl group, and barely made the charts in the UK at #86. The song somehow became popular in the American nightclubs in late 1992, and prompted a re-release in 1993 with 4 members left, and was a big hit in US and Canada, but unfortunately still stalled at #80 in the UK. 

A remake released in 1999 by the all-girl group Toutes Les Filles peaked at #44 in the UK, surprisingly higher than Boy Krazy’s version. 

A lot of people didn’t know that there was actually a 3rd version of the song by Samantha Fox, recorded in 1991, which wasn’t completed, and was finally released in 2012. The production on Sam’s version sounds like something that would really suited to Sonia’s vocals!

Fun fact - all three versions were produced by Stock, Aiken Waterman! (Or at least one of them)

Never Let Her Slip Away - released by British group Undercover in 1992, and went all the way to #5 in the UK charts. The original was released way back in 1978 by American singer-songwriter Andrew Gold, which coincidentally peaked at #5 in the UK too. 

Fun-fact - Andrew Gold was also the man behind the Golden Girls theme song, Thank You for Being a Friend. 

• 2 weeks later...

Eighth Wonder!

In my desperate quest to find music that I liked but not the mainstream pop, I stumbled upon them.

They are kind of mainstream pop but back then, I think only Cross my heart was better known.

However, I like I'm not scared written by Pet Shop Boys.

Take these dogs away from meeeeeee!

She kinda reminded me Belinda Carlisle in Mad about you.

The songwriter's version:

The other 8th Wonder hit, Baby Baby

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

1 minute ago, begleitung said:

How bout bananarama

Bananarama has too many hits...

There's pre-SAW and SAW and post-SAW.

Think they were at their most creative pre-SAW

But they reached masses when they were with SAW. This is my hmmm go-to for some guilty pleasure.

And...I don't know much post-SAW

In my teenage years, somehow Soft Cell's Say Hello Wave Goodbye felt very romantic though I didn't know what romance really felt like. Maybe it's an emo feeling then.

Oh, did Timothee Chalamet use Marc Almond's looks in Call me by your name?

But Tainted Love was very cool

• 3 weeks later...

Ah...Tom Jones is no. 1 now. (Thanks for Steppenwolf for the info)

Found this live performance of Kate Bush's performance for Wuthering Height...she's amazing.

And this alternate version of Hounds of Love...

And a rarely heard sad Experiment No. 4 (extended)

On 4/13/2021 at 9:55 PM, glowingember said:

When Kirsty MacColl is mentioned, somehow Tracy Ullman comes to my mind.

I was fascinated by Breakaway and the video was one of the very first mv I saw.

My guy is great too.

I have never known that Tracy Ullman was a singer!!! I only know her from her comedy shows.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

This song Blinding Lights is such a great undiscovered song!! I predict this song will be the biggest hit of 2021!! I cannot believe it’s so rarely played on radio!! Come one guys!! Let’s make this song a hit!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.