Male HQ

WIll you fly a Boeing 737 Max when it returns to the sky?

Guest InBangkok

the UN must step in and stop all flights anywhere period. Covid18 is still spreading all over the world! In the pursuit of GDP growth and money has led to the resumption of airline flights all over the world. The greedyness of the fat cats continue to fatten up their already fat wallets is helping to spread covid19! Stop launching products and all commercial activities. It does not take a rocket scientist to know that if everyone in the world stay in their own home for 2 months, covid19 will be destroyed. It needs the United Nations to pull up its socks and lead by example. It need guts to carry out this task. I would say if the UN has men like Tan Cheng Bok, Tean Lin and Dr Chee, truely talented men, covid19 will be gone months ago! 

Guest luna Lunatic

Always these politically laced posts at BW.

Every third thread uses to post some politically laced nonsense lately.

Is Covid 18 a new virus?

What does this have to do with the Boeing Max 737 thread?

If the poster had been just an inch smarter at least he had mentioned that Dr. Paul Tambyah who seems from the field. but...

What do these totally unknown opposition politicians have to do with the United Nations?

How can the United nations stop national flights when it is not in charge of this.

The WHO (World Health Organisation) is in charge of Worldwide health matters.

The post screams quite lunatic.

11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

the UN must step in and stop all flights anywhere period. Covid18 is still spreading all over the world! In the pursuit of GDP growth and money has led to the resumption of airline flights all over the world. The greedyness of the fat cats continue to fatten up their already fat wallets is helping to spread covid19! Stop launching products and all commercial activities. It does not take a rocket scientist to know that if everyone in the world stay in their own home for 2 months, covid19 will be destroyed. It needs the United Nations to pull up its socks and lead by example. It need guts to carry out this task. I would say if the UN has men like Tan Cheng Bok, Tean Lin and Dr Chee, truely talented men, covid19 will be gone months ago! 

Your intentions are positive and opportune.  But your proposal is not realistic.  The resumption of flights is not pushed by the greediness of industries, which are now losing fortunes, but by the interest of the public to travel, and, in small amount, the strong need of some people to do so.  Even if airlines didn't fly, people travel by other means, like we see the crowds in Britain jumping on trains to escape to Paris, for example.   In the US millions are flying over Christmas, but even more are traveling by car. 

It would be ideal if everyone could stay in their homes for 2 months.  But the disruption would be horrible.  All perishable food would perish. A majority would have no money, no food nor opportunity to buy some, and many would die.

Who knows how much worse the pandemic will get in the US !!  I would not step on a Boeing 737 Max nor any other airplane today.

An Air Canada Boeing 737 Max en route from Arizona to Montreal had to make an emergency landing in Tucson on December 22. There were only three crew members on board. An engine hydraulic low pressure indication was received shortly after take off, forcing the emergency landing.

Engine failures are not that uncommon on modern aircraft and twin engine jets are designed to operate with just one. But the 737 Max is under intense scrutiny at present and this incident will have done little to help regain confidence in the plane.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-boeing-737max-air-canada-idUSKBN28Z0VS

10 hours ago, InBangkok said:

An Air Canada Boeing 737 Max en route from Arizona to Montreal had to make an emergency landing in Tucson on December 22. There were only three crew members on board. An engine hydraulic low pressure indication was received shortly after take off, forcing the emergency landing.

Engine failures are not that uncommon on modern aircraft and twin engine jets are designed to operate with just one. But the 737 Max is under intense scrutiny at present and this incident will have done little to help regain confidence in the plane.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-boeing-737max-air-canada-idUSKBN28Z0VS

You are right that engine failures in modern aircraft happen.  But they ARE uncommon.  Here are some statistics (from Wikipedia): 

Reliability[edit]

Turbine engines in use on today's turbine-powered aircraft are very reliable. Engines operate efficiently with regularly scheduled inspections and maintenance. These units can have lives ranging in the thousands of hours of operation. However, engine malfunctions or failures occasionally occur that require an engine to be shut down in flight. Since multi-engine airplanes are designed to fly with one engine inoperative and flight crews are trained to fly with one engine inoperative, the in-flight shutdown of an engine typically does not constitute a serious safety of flight issue.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) was quoted as stating turbine engines have a failure rate of one per 375,000 flight hours, compared to of one every 3,200 flight hours for aircraft piston engines.[1] Due to "gross under-reporting" of general aviation piston engines in-flight shutdowns (IFSD), the FAA has no reliable data and assessed the rate "between 1 per 1,000 and 1 per 10,000 flight hours".[2] Continental Motors reports the FAA states general aviation engines experience one failures or IFSD every 10,000 flight hours, and states its Centurion engines is one per 20.7 thousand flight hours, lowering to one per 164 thousand flight hours in 2013-2014.[3]

The General Electric GE90 has an in-flight shutdown rate (IFSD) of one per million engine flight-hours.[4] The Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6 is known for its reliability with an in-flight shutdown rate of one per 333 thousand hours from 1963 to 2016,[5] lowering to one per 651 thousand hours over 12 months in 2016.  

ONE failure in hundreds of thousands of flight hours !!!  This is much, much, much better rate than for our cars!  When we further consider that the failure of one engine does not necessarily lead to an accident, we should be able to forget about engine failures!  

Every once in a while we read about an aircraft accident due to engine failure.  But we need to consider that there are nearly 40 MILLION flights a year in a normal year.

Edited by Steve5380

• 2 years later...

Boeing says it is not a safety issue... hm...

Boeing 737 Max deliveries delayed by component problem

US planemaker says latest snag with troubled bestselling model is not ‘safety of flight issue’

Fri 14 Apr 2023

Boeing has revealed that deliveries of its bestselling 737 Max plane will be delayed, in the latest blow to the US manufacturer in its long recovery from a crisis started by the troubled model.

The company said a “significant” number of 737 Max deliveries would be delayed because a supplier, Spirit AeroSystems, had made a component using a “non-standard” manufacturing process.

The problem is not an “immediate safety of flight issue” so planes already in service can continue to operate, Boeing said.

The setback will probably delay revenues while the company reinstalls the affected fittings, which are used to hold the vertical tail stabiliser in place. Boeing could also face costs to replace the parts on planes going back as far as 2019.

It is the latest problem for Boeing, just as it was recovering from several years of crises that began when critical flaws in its 737 Max led to two deadly crashes. In 2018 and 2019, 346 people died when hardware malfunctions and badly designed software caused the planes to override pilots and plunge from the sky.

The 737 Max crisis was followed by the coronavirus pandemic, which caused the grounding of airline fleets worldwide, and a steep decline in new aircraft orders. It prompted the European planemaker Airbus and Boeing to cut tens of thousands of jobs.

The latest announcement came only two days after data showed that Boeing delivered more planes than Airbus in the first three months of 2023 – 130 versus 127 – the first time the US manufacturer has beaten its bitter rival during a quarter since 2018.

Airbus delivered 663 planes last year compared with Boeing’s 480. Both manufacturers had been aiming to increase their rate of production, with Boeing also hoping to put behind it problems with its larger 787 plane and pull back in the battle with Airbus.

Ryanair, Europe’s largest carrier, had been expecting to take delivery of 24 737 Max aircraft by June as part of an aggressive post-Covid expansion.

The airline has said it expects passenger numbers to reach 185 million in the year to March 2024, up from 168 million in the year to March 2023.

In a statement to the Telegraph, it said Friday’s announcement does not affect its current fleet, but that it was “assessing with Boeing how this will impact” the deliveries it is expecting this summer.

Investment bank analysts said it was unclear how long it would take Boeing to correct the problems, or how much it would cost. The company’s New York-listed share price dropped by 5% in after-hours trading, while those of Spirit dropped by 12%.

“There will likely be required rework for a portion of the in-service fleet, with timing unknown,” wrote Sheila Kahyaoglu, an analyst at the investment bank Jefferies, in a note to clients. “There is an investigative process along with determining the root cause and remedy, that could have an unknown timeline to complete.”

• 8 months later...

The trouble with Boeing 737 continues…

Alaska Airlines grounds Boeing 737 Max 9 planes after mid-air window blowout

Chunk of fuselage also broke away, forcing emergency landing shortly after takeoff from Portland, Oregon

6 Jan 2024

Alaska Airlines has grounded all Boeing 737 Max 9 planes after a window and a chunk of fuselage blew out on one of the aircraft in mid-air shortly after takeoff.

An Alaska Airlines Boeing 737 Max 9 had to make an emergency landing shortly after taking off from Portland, Oregon, on Friday.

full report:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/06/alaska-airlines-grounds-boeing-737-max-9-planes-after-mid-air-window-blowout

6 hours ago, singalion said:

The trouble with Boeing 737 continues…

Alaska Airlines grounds Boeing 737 Max 9 planes after mid-air window blowout

Chunk of fuselage also broke away, forcing emergency landing shortly after takeoff from Portland, Oregon

6 Jan 2024

Alaska Airlines has grounded all Boeing 737 Max 9 planes after a window and a chunk of fuselage blew out on one of the aircraft in mid-air shortly after takeoff.

An Alaska Airlines Boeing 737 Max 9 had to make an emergency landing shortly after taking off from Portland, Oregon, on Friday.

full report:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/06/alaska-airlines-grounds-boeing-737-max-9-planes-after-mid-air-window-blowout

The solution for this is to not reserve our seat at a window that will blow out.

Guest Guest
12 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

The solution for this is to not reserve our seat at a window that will blow out.

If you know the window is going to blow out, will you even get on that plane??? Are you stuuuuupid? 

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

If you know the window is going to blow out, will you even get on that plane??? Are you stuuuuupid? 

Mine was an absurd observation, made by the child in me in jest.  :) 

Guest Childlike
1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

Mine was an absurd observation, made by the child in me in jest.  :) 

The child in u should prevent u from using anything made by America. 

Guest Guest
On 1/8/2024 at 12:17 AM, singalion said:

Let's hope your PC and/or handphone was not designed in the US...

Stupidity doesn't know any limits... 

PC is Asus. 

Phone is Samsung. 

Designed in USA? NO. 

A Samsung phone doesn't mean that there isn't any Western/ US contribution to the phone.

Asus a Taiwanese brand ... but it uses a Nvidia graphic card, which is made in the US.

Also note that Asus laptops / PCs run on Intel Core.

Guess where does Intel come from???

Guest Guest

A Samsung phone doesn't mean that there isn't any Western/ US contribution to the phone.

Asus a Taiwanese brand ... but it uses a Nvidia graphic card, which is made in the US.

So, are you saying your PC and/or handphone has no Eastern input? Guess where they are most likely to be made in? If your Western works is so great, what are you doing in Singapore? Go back to where you came from then. 

Guest Guest
13 hours ago, singalion said:

In case you were too stupid to know, one of Nvidia's co-founder and also the current CEO, Jensen Jen-Hsun Huang, was "made" in Taiwan. Looks to me the US really cannot survive without Asia, can it? 

12 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

So, are you saying your PC and/or handphone has no Eastern input? Guess where they are most likely to be made in? If your Western works is so great, what are you doing in Singapore? Go back to where you came from then. 

This Eastern versus Western is so dumb!   If you travel EAST from Singapore you will arrive at America.  So the US is EASTERN with respect to Singapore!  :) 

I have flown East so many times from Asia to Houston.  But never in a 737 max. 

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Guest
19 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

This Eastern versus Western is so dumb!

And yet you remained silent when singalion started it?? I guess it is only dumb now, because the "West" is losing ... both on this forum and in reality! LOL! 

On 1/8/2024 at 12:17 AM, singalion said:

Let's hope your PC and/or handphone was not designed in the US...

Stupidity doesn't know any limits... 

19 hours ago, singalion said:

31 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

And yet you remained silent when singalion started it?? I guess it is only dumb now, because the "West" is losing ... both on this forum and in reality! LOL! 

Well,  @singalion is A MEMBER,  but you are only... a guest, ...  by choice!

BTW,  there have been reversals in the magnetic field of the earth.  What would happen if one day the North is towards the Antarctica?  Would you then be The West?  

On 1/11/2024 at 5:41 PM, Guest Guest said:

PC is Asus. 

Phone is Samsung. 

Designed in USA? NO. 

I started it? what a joke.

He started that East vs West thing himself...

He just simply exposed his own stupidity by thinking he posted something smart in his first post but ended up as usual as BW's laugh of the day ...

Steve: I don't think the 737 Max can reach Singapore from Houston, unless the flight has stopovers  in SF, Taiwan, Tokio on the way here... max reach is 6,500 km.

11 hours ago, singalion said:

Steve: I don't think the 737 Max can reach Singapore from Houston, unless the flight has stopovers  in SF, Taiwan, Tokio on the way here... max reach is 6,500 km.

You are right.  The 737 Max could not cover that distance, even if it is lighter with all its doors and windows blown out. 

I never flew directly between Houston and Singapore,  always making a scale in Japan or Taiwan. 

Guest Hot Spring Lover
14 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

You are right.  The 737 Max could not cover that distance, even if it is lighter with all its doors and windows blown out. 

I never flew directly between Houston and Singapore,  always making a scale in Japan or Taiwan. 

When you were flying between Houston and Singapore, no airline flew non-stop. Also existing versions of the 737 Max would crash into the Pacific long before they reached Tokyo or Taiwan LOL

13 hours ago, Guest Hot Spring Lover said:

When you were flying between Houston and Singapore, no airline flew non-stop. Also existing versions of the 737 Max would crash into the Pacific long before they reached Tokyo or Taiwan LOL

You are absolutely right.  But I could have flown in a 735 Max on my way to Singapore in some two-stops flights I took with scale in Los Angeles or San Francisco before crossing the Pacific.

• 1 month later...

What a wonder the staff didn't use KY... 😂

The FAA found staff at Boeing's supplier using liquid Dawn soap as lubricant for a 737 Max door seal: NYT

Mar 12, 2024

The Federal Aviation Administration auditors saw mechanics for a Boeing supplier using liquid Dawn soap as a lubricant for fitting a door seal, The New York Times reported.

The regulator then observed mechanics at Spirit AeroSystems, which builds the fuselage of Boeing's 737 Max, cleaning up using a wet cheesecloth, per The Times' Mark Walker.

The slides said that Boeing had failed 33 of 89 product audits related to 737 Max production, while Spirit failed seven of 13 audits, per The Times.

https://www.businessinsider.com/faa-boeing-spirit-aerosystems-dawn-soap-door-seal-737-max-2024-3

Edited by singalion

Regardless of 737Max plane, what I will try to avoid is to fly with United.  Besides being a shitty airline, they have had 3 incidents in the last days:  in one, the plane lost a tire on takeoff. In another, it developed a fuel leak, I think,  and in the third it was observed a leakage of hydraulic fluid on takeoff.  Still I recognize that to fly is safer than me driving my 30 year old car, ha ha.

Just wonder whether the maintenance also applied liquid soap... ha ha. (the model here is not the 737 max)

United Airlines Boeing plane loses external panel in flight

FAA investigating loss of panel before Boeing 737-800 landed safely in Oregon

Sat 16 Mar 2024

The US Federal Aviation Administration is investigating how a United Airlines Boeing 737-800 lost an external panel before landing safely in Oregon.

United flight 433 landed at Medford airport at about 1.45pm on Friday carrying 139 passengers and six crew after departing from San Francisco, the FAA and airline said.

The FAA said a post-landing airline inspection of the 25-year-old plane revealed a missing panel. United said it would also investigate. It said no emergency had been declared because there was no indication of the damage during flight.

“We’ll conduct a thorough examination of the plane and perform all the needed repairs before it returns to service,” the airline said.

On 3/16/2024 at 4:55 AM, singalion said:

Just wonder whether the maintenance also applied liquid soap... ha ha. (the model here is not the 737 max)

United Airlines Boeing plane loses external panel in flight

FAA investigating loss of panel before Boeing 737-800 landed safely in Oregon

Sat 16 Mar 2024

The US Federal Aviation Administration is investigating how a United Airlines Boeing 737-800 lost an external panel before landing safely in Oregon.

United flight 433 landed at Medford airport at about 1.45pm on Friday carrying 139 passengers and six crew after departing from San Francisco, the FAA and airline said.

The FAA said a post-landing airline inspection of the 25-year-old plane revealed a missing panel. United said it would also investigate. It said no emergency had been declared because there was no indication of the damage during flight.

“We’ll conduct a thorough examination of the plane and perform all the needed repairs before it returns to service,” the airline said.

United... recent maintenance problems seem to unite into United.  :lol:

If at home you have overhead a route frequented by United planes,  you could start a collection of United plane parts!

Guest Guest

As usual, we can trust the usual two trolls to digress from the topic of 737Max to talk about United Airlines. We shouldn't be expecting anything else, should we? What else is new? 

As usual, we can trust the usual two trolls to digress from the topic of 737Max to talk about United Airlines. We shouldn't be expecting anything else, should we? What else is new? 

How pathetic it is to see a "guest" shamelessly depart from the topic to try to bash two members he does not like!   If "guests" could be banned at BW he would have disappeared long time ago. 

2 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

How pathetic it is to see a "guest" shamelessly depart from the topic to try to bash two members he does not like!   If "guests" could be banned at BW he would have disappeared long time ago. 

Yes totally pathetic. As if BW readers can't recognise that this Guest is the troll himself by leaving out of topic troll posts everywhere. 

I wonder whether this Guest troll has a life???

2 hours ago, singalion said:

I wonder whether this Guest troll has a life???

HE SURELY HAS A LIFE.  His trolling is proof that he is alive.  But...  it must be a very miserable life...

Guest Guest

@singalion and @Steve5380 , why don't you two just exercise your "Members' privilege" and PM each other if you have nothing else better to do, instead of spilling your garbage chatter all over this forum instead?  We will get a more pleasant forum that way, and you won't get bashed that way too.

17 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

HE SURELY HAS A LIFE.  His trolling is proof that he is alive.  But...  it must be a very miserable life...

This guy is mental!

Just look how he has time to revive a dead other thread at BW that was dormant for 5 years by pulling out my previous posts from 2018 to make a snarky comment 5 years later.

To me this is truly a sign of mental issues.

His repeated modus operandi is in trying to silence Members here or get them banned.

(You should know yourself best, Steve).

I m not sure why the Moderators don't just delete his troll posts.

(Ok, more recently some were moved to the Flaming Room).

Edited by singalion

More on the 737 Boeing

Alaska Airlines flight windshield cracks while landing

Mar. 18, 2024

PORTLAND, Ore. (KPTV/Gray News) - A flight from Arlington, Virginia, landed safely at an Oregon airport Sunday night after its inner windshield cracked.

Alaska Airlines said in a statement that the crack happened as the Boeing 737 aircraft was landing.

“The crew followed their checklists,” and the plane continued to its destination safely, the airline said.

“Alaska Airlines’ 737 fleet are outfitted with five-layer windscreens that have an outer pane, three inner layers and an inner pane. If an inner pane cracks, the other pane and layers can maintain cabin pressure,” the statement said.

According to the company, the aircraft will be inspected and repaired by engineers on the ground.

The crack comes days after an external panel fell off a Boeing 737, which landed safely at a Medford, Oregon, airport, KGO reported.

The Boeing 737-800 airliner was carrying 159 passengers and six crew members.

https://100percentfedup.com/alaska-airlines-boeing-lands-with-crack-in-windshield/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=alaska-airlines-boeing-lands-with-crack-in-windshield

Guest Guest
9 minutes ago, singalion said:

This guy is mental!

Just look how he has time to revive a dead thread that was dormant for 5 years by pulling out my previous posts from 2018 to make a snarky comment 5 years later.

To me this is truly a sign of mental issues.

His repeated modus operandi is in trying to silence Members here or get them banned.

(You should know yourself best, Steve).

I m not sure why the Moderators don't just delete his troll posts.

(Ok, more recently some were moved to the Flaming Room).

This thread was started in 2020. So, how to "revive a dead thread that was dormant for 5 years by pulling out (your) previous posts from 2018 to make a snarky comment 5 years later"??

Besides, you are the one who keep reviving the thread again and again.

You really have some psychiatric issues which you need to address.

This guy is mental!

If so, many people would be "mental".  I think that he is just a normal guy who has a malevolent streak,  which gets pleasured by making nasty posts here.  Aside from being disruptive, I think that this "guest" is otherwise harmless.  

Let's concentrate on something much, much more important,  that is the safety or lack of it, of the Boeing 737-Max.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.