Male HQ

How do you clean your CPU?

Guest CPU

Anyone got lobang where to clean your CPU? Is very dusty inside. I wanted to clean my self but scared of static generated that could fry the componets inside. Anything that I should take note of when cleaning the dust myself. Saw on youtube can just use toothbrush. Saw different types of blower sell online. What are the most economical yet efficient way to clean the dust? 

Power down and remove unit from power socket. If you scared of static electricity destroy your CPU, then either get a anti static wrist band and wear it around wrist that will be handling the cleaning. Get those blowers to blow out the dust and a tooth brush will also work but be careful when using toothbrush in case you dislodge loose components. Don't dismantle parts that you are not familiar with. Seek a professional help after C/B period when businesses gradually opens up for computer repair and cleaning services.

On 5/21/2020 at 10:40 AM, Guest CPU said:

Anyone got lobang where to clean your CPU? Is very dusty inside. I wanted to clean my self but scared of static generated that could fry the componets inside. Anything that I should take note of when cleaning the dust myself. Saw on youtube can just use toothbrush. Saw different types of blower sell online. What are the most economical yet efficient way to clean the dust? 

CPU??? I think you are talking about the interior of your computer.

If your CPU has not been remove from the CPU socket and still clamp down to the motherboard. The dust do not slip inside it between the CPU pins and socket rack.

I think you are talking about the entire interior where your Drives, motherboard, cooler and other component cards sit.

I always buy the pressed canister air blower from Challenger to use as an air blower to clean my keyboards, computer interior, air con and other devices have that has dust settled in them.

I simply unplug all the cables from the PC and take it outside my home and use the jet of air to blow away all the dust in one direction which is usually from the front portion to the back. I will remove both side panels to get more access to the casing. I would use the air canister without the small tube piece for a general removal. After which I will attach the tiny tube to the canister to aim concentrated air to small crevices and openings to get stubborn dust out. General this will be all you need to do unless you are going for a really thorough cleaning which require taking out component piece by piece to clean out which usually is not required. Electro-static is something you unlikely to need worry about as it takes a really big spark to cause any real damage and you can easily remedy this by touching the metal parts of your casing with the power plug in so it will EARTH you and remove any electrostatic build-up on your body. Trust me, I have building 100s of PCs and I never had issue doing that at home over the years. If you are not comfortable doing this as you have never build a system or changed parts in a PC before, you can send it out to be done by pros but I feel for most average PC, my first method above is all you need to do and your rig will be fine and not have hear building up due to dust till the next time it needs another cleaning out.

Edited by upshot
typo and clarity

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

cpu-cores-vs-threads.jpg

This is what a CPU looks like

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

On 5/21/2020 at 1:18 PM, Cernunnos said:

Power down and remove unit from power socket. If you scared of static electricity destroy your CPU, then either get a anti static wrist band and wear it around wrist that will be handling the cleaning. Get those blowers to blow out the dust and a tooth brush will also work but be careful when using toothbrush in case you dislodge loose components. Don't dismantle parts that you are not familiar with. Seek a professional help after C/B period when businesses gradually opens up for computer repair and cleaning services.

Thanks. I have ordered from lazada multipurpose compressed air can.

On 5/22/2020 at 12:15 AM, upshot said:

CPU??? I think you are talking about the interior of your computer.

If your CPU has not been remove from the CPU socket and still clamp down to the motherboard. The dust do not slip inside it between the CPU pins and socket rack.

I think you are talking about the entire interior where your Drives, motherboard, cooler and other component cards sit.

I always buy the pressed canister air blower from Challenger to use as an air blower to clean my keyboards, computer interior, air con and other devices have that has dust settled in them.

I simply unplug all the cables from the PC and take it outside my home and use the jet of air to blow away all the dust in one direction which is usually from the front portion to the back. I will remove both side panels to get more access to the casing. I would use the air canister without the small tube piece for a general removal. After which I will attach the tiny tube to the canister to aim concentrated air to small crevices and openings to stubborn dust out. General this will be all you need to do unless you are going for a really thorough cleaning which require taking out component piece by piece to clean out which usually is not required. Electro-static is something you unlikely to need worry about as it takes a really big spark to cause any real damage and you can easily remedy this by touching the metal parts of your casing with the power plug in so it will EARTH you and remove any electrostatic build-up on your body. Trust me, I have building 100s of PCs and I never had issue doing that at home over the years. If you are not comfortable doing this as you have never build a system or changed parts in a PC before, you can send it out to be done by pros but I feel for most average PC, my first method above is all you need to do and your rig will be fine and not have hear building up due to dust till the next time it needs another cleaning out.

Thanks alot. When using the compressed air can, I can just spray/blow the air directly on the components inside? Everything inside can be blown? Is there anything that I should avoid? I never use one before, is the pressure very high? Is there a safe distance? And I read review there will be some liquid initially from the canister? I ordered from lazada. The brand is sunto. Wanted to try on my standing fan too, the motor part inside cause very dusty n yet can reach inside.

15 hours ago, kidster said:

why do we need to clean? Isn't the enclosure fully covered in most designs?

I openned the cover n found the interior very dusty esp the fans n heatsink area. Some on the casing too. I read that cleaning the fans part will make the cooling more efficient n prolong the CPU/tower. 

1 hour ago, Guest CPU said:

I openned the cover n found the interior very dusty esp the fans n heatsink area. Some on the casing too. I read that cleaning the fans part will make the cooling more efficient n prolong the CPU/tower. 

Yes you are right, the fan regulates the temperature in the CPU tower and you should clean it. Use a kitchen towel or cloth towel to clean the fan blades if you know how to disconnect the fan from the motherboard safely. Clean the grills too with cloth towels too with slight moist but make sure it doesn't touch electronic parts.

9 hours ago, Guest CPU said:

Thanks alot. When using the compressed air can, I can just spray/blow the air directly on the components inside? Everything inside can be blown? Is there anything that I should avoid? I never use one before, is the pressure very high? Is there a safe distance? And I read review there will be some liquid initially from the canister? I ordered from lazada. The brand is sunto. Wanted to try on my standing fan too, the motor part inside cause very dusty n yet can reach inside.

I always buy mine from Challenger with tube nozzle which you insert to focus the jet air.

Yes there is some evaporation due to the fast expansion of air which also cause the moist in the air to liquifying but will very quickly turn by to air within seconds. Usually this is not a bad thing. Important is make sure your PC is NOT POWER up. When it is still running power that water vapour might not be there long but while its, it can be conductive with various components that you aim the spray at.

The thing to remember is never spray longer then one second at a time. Doing long pressing of the spraying will make the compress air cool too fast and when that happen the pressure of the air jet will drop and you find the can gets very very cold. If that happens you need to let the can warm up before using it again. Short burst of spraying is fine with the tip of the nozzle like 6 inches away. You only get closer for certain parts you are certain has no electrical or electronic components. Do this in an open room like outside your home as you want to ensure there is a way to let the dust settle elsewhere then in your room or home.

Use the spray without the thin tube first to get rid of the general dust. After which you use the thin tube for more focus area and that should be fine. Some really super fine dust is fine.  Or you use a dry lint cloth to clear without using too hard a pressure. If there are stain you want to get rid, you can use alcohol at least 70% you soak a bit on the cloth. Alcohol will evaporate quickly so it does not harm.

You can use a tooth brush to brush certain parts which are NOT too delicate. Some weld and wiring that has been soldered to the motherboard or some circuit pcm can damage if you brush too hard. So look carefully at where you are going to brush as some damage to micro welds can only seen with a magnifying glass.

Below second vidoe is more an OVERALL cleaning video which can given you a lot of tips to tackle PC cleaning and why.

Edited by upshot

Guest Monitor
17 hours ago, upshot said:

I always buy mine from Challenger with tube nozzle which you insert to focus the jet air.

Yes there is some evaporation due to the fast expansion of air which also cause the moist in the air to liquifying but will very quickly turn by to air within seconds. Usually this is not a bad thing. Important is make sure your PC is NOT POWER up. When it is still running power that water vapour might not be there long but while its, it can be conductive with various components that you aim the spray at.

The thing to remember is never spray longer then one second at a time. Doing long pressing of the spraying will make the compress air cool too fast and when that happen the pressure of the air jet will drop and you find the can gets very very cold. If that happens you need to let the can warm up before using it again. Short burst of spraying is fine with the tip of the nozzle like 6 inches away. You only get closer for certain parts you are certain has no electrical or electronic components. Do this in an open room like outside your home as you want to ensure there is a way to let the dust settle elsewhere then in your room or home.

Use the spray without the thin tube first to get rid of the general dust. After which you use the thin tube for more focus area and that should be fine. Some really super fine dust is fine.  Or you use a dry lint cloth to clear without using too hard a pressure. If there are stain you want to get rid, you can use alcohol at least 70% you soak a bit on the cloth. Alcohol will evaporate quickly so it does not harm.

You can use a tooth brush to brush certain parts which are NOT too delicate. Some weld and wiring that has been soldered to the motherboard or some circuit pcm can damage if you brush too hard. So look carefully at where you are going to brush as some damage to micro welds can only seen with a magnifying glass.

Below second vidoe is more an OVERALL cleaning video which can given you a lot of tips to tackle PC cleaning and why.

Thanks alot man. Very helpful:)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.