Male HQ

That country you want to go to

begleitung

On 5/23/2020 at 10:25 PM, Guest Chinese Panda said:

If you have a face that look like "Chinese",  better think hard before travelling to Ang Mo countries. These people will beat you up and call you "virus".  I suggest stay within Asia.  Don't live out of pandemic only to be killed by some stupid people elsewhere.

I can understand your concern, but our world is changing. 30 years ago I saw lots of solo Japanese young people travelling in many cities and countries. I befriended one on an early trip to Katmandhu and another in Queenstown in New Zealand. More recently, lots of young Chinese from Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong and even mainland China travelling in pairs in Europe, Russia, Istanbul and elsewhere. To suggest Chinese will be beaten up in Europe or South America is just not true. The stories we hear seem almost all to have emanated from the USA. All tourists can fall prey to thieves (I was robbed once on a street in Rome) and others intent on harm! It is not just an anti-Chinese thing. But if you are worried about reactions to the origin of covid19, just wait a couple of years or so.

I agree to Steve’s point about doing your research beforehand! But sometimes I don’t! I spent 4 weeks in Argentina, Chile and Peru knowing only four words of Spanish, and one was ‘Hola!’ English and sign language will get you through most situations. I also made a solo two week trip to  Iran 20 months ago knowing not a word of Farsi - but thenI did have an excellent English speaking guide there!

Edited by InBangkok
Addition of a sentence

I forgot to add one more sight that is just extraordinary. The Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) can be seen at certain times of the year from various northern countries. I caught them in the beyond the Arctic Circle in Finland. I waited with two young friends from the Lodge where I was staying on a frozen lake at 10:00 pm. By 11:00 pm we saw the start of what became a stunning two hour light show. Please put it on your bucket list. You can also see them from a town in the far north of China.

Northern_Lights1.jpg

Northern_Lights2.jpg

Edited by InBangkok

Guest Gast
14 hours ago, InBangkok said:

Yes I was a guest for some months. Thanks for your welcome. I am taking the liberty of adding a few pics here of two amazing Festivals in Thailand. Everyone knows about Songkran and the lovely Festival of Loi Kratong. But Thailand has many Festivals. The first pics are of the Candle Festival in Ubon Ratchahani. Every temple in the city spends a month creating on top of trucks special wax sculptures based on Buddhist teachings. They then parade through the town along with lots of other activities. The others are of the Ghost Festival in the small town of Dansai in Loei Province. The town only has about 10,000 inhabitants and all seem to take part with thousands from nearby visiting to see the Parade and other Festivities. Both take place at the start of Buddhist Lent. I had a wonderful time at both.

Thanks very much for sharing and reminding us that Thailand is rich with culture and is a far lot more than just Patpong and Silom.

Guest Go Where

I don't know where I wanted to go.  How to tell where one should go when you have no list? I want to see blue whale, still not sure how big there are after watching them on documetary.

Guest Go Where
14 minutes ago, begleitung said:

You can start with new zealand, if they let u in

I heard the blue whale reside in Sri Lanka water. 

Guest Go Where
27 minutes ago, begleitung said:

You can start with new zealand, if they let u in

Based on your experiences, which countries should people avoid (at all cost?). Exclude North Korea please.  and if you have money  to only visit ONE country on earth, where will you go?

2 hours ago, begleitung said:

I do not think there are any countries anybody should avoid. 

This depends on the purpose of the visit, the kind of experience one seeks.

You can make a list of the over 100 countries you can visit, rated by quality of visit.

Won't you avoid the bottom 10% of countries in this list? 

You will not avoid them if your intention is to experience what is poverty, misery, pollution, oppression. 

On 5/27/2020 at 12:31 PM, InBangkok said:

Having contributed some posts, I have now registered and so will post some photos. I visited Glacier Bay and the Taj Mahal before I had a digital camera. The other photos (in order) are 

Perito Moreno Glacier in Argentinian Patagonia 1

Torres del Paine National Park in Chilean Patagonia 1

Nikko 3

Bhutan 2

Western part of the Annapurna Range after dawn 1

Petra 3

Esfahan 2

Rocky Mountaineer 2

Ganden Sumsteling Monastery at Shangri-La 1

Harbin Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival 3

Perito_Morean_Glacier.jpg

Torres_Del_Paine.jpg

Nikko1.jpg

Nikko2.jpg

Nikko3.jpg

Paro_Dzong.jpg

Tigers_Nest_Monastery.jpg

West_Annapurna_Range.jpg

Petra1.jpg

Petra2.jpg

Petra3.jpg

Esfahan1.jpg

Esfahan2.jpg

Canada_Lake_Louise1.jpg

Canada_Rocky_Mountaineer2.jpg

Shangri_La_Monastery.jpg

Harbin_Festival1.jpg

Harbin_Festival2.jpg

Harbin_Festival3.jpg

Wow, Petra would def be my go to since the first time I watch the Mummy trilogy and Indiana Jones(?)

I would very much like to visit Iceland, Scotland and all the other -land

2 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

This depends on the purpose of the visit, the kind of experience one seeks.

You can make a list of the over 100 countries you can visit, rated by quality of visit.

Won't you avoid the bottom 10% of countries in this list? 

You will not avoid them if your intention is to experience what is poverty, misery, pollution, oppression. 

Well Bangladesh is one of the poorest countries in the world but jungle safari is amazing i heard. The fact that some people avoid certain countries makes it more enjoyable for the rest to know the hidden gems. 

4 hours ago, begleitung said:

Well Bangladesh is one of the poorest countries in the world but jungle safari is amazing i heard. The fact that some people avoid certain countries makes it more enjoyable for the rest to know the hidden gems. 

"I heard" means that you haven't done it, I suppose.  And you see jungle safari as a "hidden gem"?   Hopefully this is just a fantasy.

Some people are born with something missing.

I miss completely the understanding of going after a wild animal in its habitat with a plurality of people armed with weapons that are so powerful that they completely eliminate any fairness in the confrontation and give such a feeling of security that the hunting becomes "FUN"   :(  

"I heard" means that you haven't done it, I suppose.  And you see jungle safari as a "hidden gem"?   Hopefully this is just a fantasy.

Some people are born with something missing.

I miss completely the understanding of going after a wild animal in its habitat with a plurality of people armed with weapons that are so powerful that they completely eliminate any fairness in the confrontation and give such a feeling of security that the hunting becomes "FUN"   :(  

It is ok, you do not have to like places that i want to go to. In fact it is better that way. Please stay away. ; )

You are right, i have not been there yet. It is impossible to go everywhere. 

anyway, bangladesh was just an example of a hidden gem. But do not take my word for it. I have not been there. I do not even know how to use the internet. ; )

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/features/bangladesh-floats-my-boat-from-rickshaw-rides-to-tracking-tigers-our-journey-had-it-all-38759977.html

But please don‘t go there. It is full of poverty, misery etc. 

Edited by begleitung

36 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Thanks,  but I would never go there.  

Hurrah!!

in fact all the places that you do not want to go to, would probably be the places that i am dying to go to. Try me, just for the fun of it. Name me three or four countries that you would never go to?

7 minutes ago, begleitung said:

Hurrah!!

in fact all the places that you do not want to go to, would probably be the places that i am dying to go to. Try me, just for the fun of it. Name me three or four countries that you would never go to?

Oh!   I don't want you to die!  Not for a place where I would never go.  So... I cannot answer your inquire. :) 

12 hours ago, begleitung said:

I do not think there are any countries anybody should avoid. 

North Korea?

China, other than to make money?

Eritrea?

Ethical travelling?

Any place renowned for pedophilia?

What happened to your thread on Open Relationship?

35 minutes ago, wilfgene said:

North Korea?

Eritrea?

Ethical travelling?

In fact north korea is the country that i want to go to. 

china, yes, i am not so interested but i will not avoid it, given the right chance or time. 

eritea? I must admit i know almost nothing about it. It is in africa, ethic cleansing? 

bear in mind, years ago people were avoiding myanmar. If certain countries were not given the chance, the „progress“ of opening up would have been slower, i think. Think china or south africa decades ago. 

open relationship?  Nobody wanted to share etc. 

Edited by begleitung
Added open relationship comment.

35 minutes ago, wilfgene said:

North Korea?

Eritrea?

Ethical travelling?

Thank you for making me aware of the existence of Eritrea.  In 70+ years of life I had never heard of it.

A quick investigation convinces me that this little place offers enough evil to satisfy @begleitung's attraction to such types of countries:

Edited by Steve5380

52 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Thank you for making me aware of the existence of Eritrea.  In 70+ years of life I had never heard of it.

A few investigation convinces me that this little place has enough evil to satisfy @begleitung's attraction to such types of countries:

Impressed.

A Jap confessed guilt, after listening to Aung San Suu Kyi speak from confinement.  A Dutch said something along the line of "By being here, not only are we contributing money to the laymen, we are also exposing them to a greater world out there."

May be beyond him.

Since he chooses to turn a blind eye on faith for fates worse than death in some of these parts of the world.

Edited by wilfgene

A quick investigation convinces me that this little place offers enough evil to satisfy @begleitung's attraction to such types of countries:

Thank you for the documentary about „such types of countries“. 

1 hour ago, wilfgene said:

Impressed.

A Jap confessed guilt, after listening to Aung San Suu Kyi speak from confinement.  A Dutch said something along the line of "By being here, not only are we contributing money to the laymen, we are also exposing them to a greater world out there."

Do u not agree with the dutchman?

46 minutes ago, begleitung said:

Here is more „evil“ of „such type of countries“ like Eritrea:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/photo-booth/the-timeworn-beauty-of-asmara-eritrea

My question is Why?

Why give preference to the "timeworn beauty of asmara-eritrea" over the contemporary beauty shown in the pictures posted in this thread by @InBangkok ?

Edited by Steve5380

I think we should be open to all travel experiences, although political and civil disturbance - to say nothing of pandemics - can sometimes make this impossible. Had I not visited Iran in October 2018, thanks to Trump's sanctions that door would have soon been closed. Asmara looks delightful. I would also have loved to visit Sanaa in the Yemen, but with its long civil war I don't fancy wearing bulletproof vests and metal hats.

17 hours ago, InBangkok said:

I think we should be open to all travel experiences, although political and civil disturbance - to say nothing of pandemics - can sometimes make this impossible. Had I not visited Iran in October 2018, thanks to Trump's sanctions that door would have soon been closed. Asmara looks delightful. I would also have loved to visit Sanaa in the Yemen, but with its long civil war I don't fancy wearing bulletproof vests and metal hats.

I like to qualify this further:  we should be open to all POSITIVE travel experiences.   There are too many places in this world to visit,  why waste time, money and effort to seek negative, gloomy experiences?   Cannot we learn about poverty, oppression, misery from writings, pictures, articles, instead of having to see these in person?   How justified is it to visit a "wonder of the world" when it is surrounded by people living in the most deplorable conditions?

Asmara could have been fine to visit when it surged after the independence of Eritrea.  Today there are many pacific countries that have plenty of sites to visit,  like temples all over Asia, historic places left by the native American Indians in Mexico, Peru,  monuments from recent, medium and far away past throughout Europa...  sufficient number of sites to visit for the rest of one's life,  without having to set foot on Muslim countries and most of the Middle East including Israel.  

On 6/2/2020 at 8:01 PM, begleitung said:

In fact north korea is the country that i want to go to. 

I hope that if you are an American you don't feel bad about what I say:

I wish that the US makes no efforts to assist people that put themselves in unnecessary danger by visiting dangerous places "for the fun of it".

We periodically read about Americans that have been detained in N. Korea for trivial violations and accused of fabricated serious crimes.   One feels sorry for such people,  but they chose to put themselves in danger. 

8 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

sufficient number of sites to visit for the rest of one's life,  without having to set foot on Muslim countries and most of the Middle East including Israel.  

Have u been to malaysia or indonesia?  They are officially muslim countries too. 

i could wrong, i think the detained Americans actually misbehaved. But yes, they were targeted intentionally, i bet. 

On 6/4/2020 at 10:53 AM, InBangkok said:

Well said. If there are grave security and safety concerns, i would avoid them too. 

Beside security and safety,  some countries have problem like over crowding, un-hygiene conditions etc.  

Also there are places where nothing could interest u,  who will go Brunei except for military training? Who think of going Saudi Arabia beside for pilgrimage purpose? 

The world is too huge and we would have set our own priority for the top 10 or 20 countries to visit.

Edited by lonelyglobe

8 hours ago, begleitung said:

Have u been to malaysia or indonesia?  They are officially muslim countries too. 

i could wrong, i think the detained Americans actually misbehaved. But yes, they were targeted intentionally, i bet. 

Indeed I have been to Malaysia several times, mostly KL,   but it does not "feel" like a Muslim country.  On the contrary, it feels friendly and free.

I have been in the United Arab Emirates (Abu Dhabi) for work,  and I didn't enjoy the place at all.  Seeing the men dressed in white sheets and the women wrapped in black and... especially... hearing the prayers blasted from loudspeakers several times a day made me think of how primitive they are.  Dubai is famous as a worldly city, but I doubt I would visit it since I find it overly frivolous.  

5 hours ago, begleitung said:

It all comes down to interest. For Europeans for example would go to Brunei for eco-tourism. 

Brunei could be an interesting country to visit, except for gays.   I hope that the advent of alternate sources of energy will do away with Brunei's wealth.  Not because I envy their richness, but because I despise their regime.

On 6/5/2020 at 10:18 PM, Steve5380 said:

Indeed I have been to Malaysia several times, mostly KL,   but it does not "feel" like a Muslim country.  On the contrary, it feels friendly and free.

There u go. My point was, do not generalise „muslim“ countries. 

33 minutes ago, begleitung said:

Happy holidays 

The same to you.  Since I retired, most days are like holidays for me.

33 minutes ago, begleitung said:

In that case ur generalisation no longer applies 

But a generalization applies even if there are exceptions.  This is the essence of a generalization. 

I don't like Muslim countries (generalization),  although Malaysia may be an exception.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I want to take this tour https://expatexplore.com/tours/croatian-eastern-delights/, go to Croatia.

I want to go to Portugal, in Porto and then off to the Azores.

I'm really turned-on if both heads (the head above and the head below) are both functioning well

https://asianguysgonewild.newtumbl.com

https://linktr.ee/riverrobles  

WQPofyr.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.