Male HQ

Pop Songs & Music Videos

Guest Hazily Instructor

Guest Hazily Instructor

The threads on Favorite Cover Songs and Favorite Donna Summer Songs sparked my interest in reviving the thread on Pop Songs & Music Videos with the hope that it will last longer and attract more participation than in 2018 when it was smothered by symphony orchestra posts.

Please post videos for songs that you like which have been chart hits recently or in the past. To avoid cross-pollination with the cover songs thread, please post videos by the real artists, rather than by YouTube unknowns or contestants on TV programs like The Voice and X-Factor.

My first contribution is Kelly Clarkson performing "Heartbeat Song" at the Summertime Ball five years ago. The original American Idol proved that she still has all the elements that originally took her to the top of the charts even if she's now a little bit older as well as a litte bit bigger.

P.S. -- Please try to post actual videos or concert performances. It is no fun looking at one album cover photo for several minutes or even looking at nothing but lyrics with no action to accompany the words. Please also post something about why you like the singer and/or the song.

Guest Overdosed Yourself

I'll play along by linking "All Of Me" by John Legend which he originally wrote as the wedding song for his marriage ceremony with Chrissy Teigen.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Guest Overdosed Yourself

One Direction singing their biggest hit "What Makes You Beautiful" during a televised concert from 5½ years ago.

Guest Overdosed Yourself

Robin Thicke & Pharrell Williams sing "Blurred Lines" on the Graham Norton Show with a special cameo from actress Hayden Panettiere.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to be a pain about such matters, @G_M, but it seems like this just-revived thread should be combined with the other compiled music video thread.

I do think the Pop Songs & Music Videos used here is a better overall title or maybe it can be renamed Share Your Favorite Pop Songs & Music Videos.

Guest Salmon Swirl Quit His Girl

If this thread is being merged with the longer thread, the above-mentioned 2018 thread should get the same treatment.

I agree with renaming the big thread Share Your Favorite Pop Songs & Music Videos since that is what people are doing.

Guest Mickey Spillane’s M Hammer

Not a specific song here but rather the performance that truly sent Michael Jackson on his way to becoming the "King of Pop" from the "Motown 25" special in February 1983. This show marked the first full reunion of the Jackson Five since they left Motown for CBS & Epic, which prompted Jermaine to quit the group as he was married to the daughter of Motown’s boss, and Michael launched his adult solo career. The first half of the set is a medley featuring four of the J5’s classic six hits ["I Want You Back" / "The Love You Save" / "Never Can Say Goodbye" / "I’ll Be There"] but missing "ABC" (surprisingly) and "Mama’s Pearl" due to time constraints.

The second half is all about Michael, who had just released "Thriller" as his second adult solo album two months earlier, and "Billie Jean" was rapidly climbing the singles charts. That left fans eager to see a live performance, so he picked the best scene and setting, with "Motown 25" drawing a huge audience looking to relive their memories of the greatest African-American pop stars from the previous quarter-century. Jackson debuted his signature dance move, the Moonwalk, during the solo, and kids across the United States (of all races) were excitedly imitating it at school the next day, every chance they got. Amazing music history moment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.