Male HQ

Death of a Gay Hero

Thank you @InBangkok, @doncoin for bringing attention to this sad past and the people who fought there valiantly. 

This should give an example of how social progress is made,  not by waiting that "the government" or "society" welcomes the progress with open arms.

Larry Kramer was married to his partner David Webster and they lived together from 1991 until Larry's death yesterday.  Another example of this Hero:  we gays can find long lasting relationships of true love.

I watched the other day an old DVD in my collection,  "Paragraph 175" about the persecution of gays in Nazi Germany,  and this left me traumatized with another view of the ugly Reality besides the 100,000 victims of covid-19 mark in my country.  

oh lord... 

i reaching teens and just discovering gay sex during the AIDS pandemics! it was scary times, especially for a local teen without guidance and support.

i bought many books to read in secret, and Mr Kramer's THE NORMAL HEART was one of the most poignant! i still have that copy NOW!

Unfortunately that vdo of The Normal Heart cannot be viewed in Thailand. Here is one very moving scene from the movie with Julia Roberts magnifcently playing the role of the real-life Dr.Emma Brookner. The paraplegic Dr. Brookner worked in New York and had noticed a lot of gay men suffering the effects of AIDS. In this scene she peresents the results of her research findings. Having  begged the government for more research funding, she is turned down. It displays passionately how the US government totally failed to listen to so many of the researchers and permitted AIDS to become a disastrous pandemic. 

17 minutes ago, InBangkok said:

Unfortunately that vdo of The Normal Heart cannot be viewed in Thailand. Here is one very moving scene from the movie with Julia Roberts magnifcently playing the role of the real-life Dr.Emma Brookner. The paraplegic Dr. Brookner worked in New York and had noticed a lot of gay men suffering the effects of AIDS. In this scene she peresents the results of her research findings. Having  begged the government for more research funding, she is turned down. It displays passionately how the US government totally failed to listen to so many of the researchers and permitted AIDS to become a disastrous pandemic. 

Julia Roberts is great.  This makes one's blood boil! :( 

17 minutes ago, InBangkok said:

It displays passionately how the US government totally failed to listen to so many of the researchers and permitted AIDS to become a disastrous pandemic.

1. Thanks for the thread.  Too busy getting laid and forget, then.

2. As well as reaffirm "The only thing we learn from history is that we never learn from history".

3. Appreciate the commotion raised across the Pacific, instead. 

11 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Julia Roberts is great.  This makes one's blood boil! :( 

More mesmerized with Aiden Quinn and D.W Moffatt in "An Early Frost", bedazzled by Ben Gazzara's role, then. 

Edited by wilfgene

The first gay play that I’ve read and a gripping one too — even now, I still remember that scene where a carton of milk was thrown and burst all over the floor, a fitting symbol of spilled white American blood, tainted and knocked down and trodden.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.