Male HQ

Running bad for knees?

begleitung

The frequency, distance, intensity, the posture of runner, the way the feet lands. Incorrect running postures and methods and trying to overdo for beginners (when body is not used to certain frequency or distance) can be damaging but overall running should not be an issue if done correctly. 

• 1 month later...

Dont run on rocky terrain, slow down if you think too much pressure on knee, dont jump too high when running. There are a few regular runner in my running group already in his 50s so i guess its not an issue unless u got weak bones problem or some health problems or push it too hard.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2020 at 1:13 AM, yoyo74 said:

Dont run on rocky terrain, slow down if you think too much pressure on knee, dont jump too high when running. There are a few regular runner in my running group already in his 50s so i guess its not an issue unless u got weak bones problem or some health problems or push it too hard.

Thks !!

• 3 years later...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! It's true that opinions on running's impact on knees can vary. While some believe it's not harmful, others may have experienced discomfort or injury. It's essential to consider individual factors like form, intensity, and pre-existing conditions.
For those concerned about knee health, using a knee brace for meniscus tear could offer added support and protection during physical activities like running. Taking preventive measures can help minimize the risk of injury and promote long-term joint health.

Edited by Kardwo

there are many factors involved. individual biomechanics, training habits, and pre-existing conditions, etc. for eg; if someone is overweight, older, and rely a lot on running long distance to lose weight, then this may be bad for their knees. if a person is healthy, does a balanced workout, trains sensibly, eats well and sleeps well, etc - it is common that incorporating varied runs regularly into his routine will strengthen the muscles and tissues surrounding/of his knee, and is generally at low risk of negative effects to his knees.

Edited by glenpoh

So far i have already run for 9 years for at least once every weekend around 5 to 10km each run. I have maintain my weight more or less around 58kg for the past 10 years. Running pace start at slow speed and only sprint at the ending part. Now slightly more than 9 years have pass and i am almost 50 years old and my knee still feels ok. I almost never do any warm up or cool down start or end of running. I believe knee problem is due to weight of the person or the food the person eating. All those talk about long running wearing off the soft bone of the knee i dont really believe in them. Only the thing i do personally than i will know the truth

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.