Male HQ

Should I stay at a job with my anxiety issues

Guest Demoralised

Guest guest
13 minutes ago, Guest I knew said:

The only side effect I can think of is your addition to it.  It is a form of drug that soothed your nerve and slowed down your heart beat. It makes you very calm and is very tempting to keep eating it.  Best is to control yourself and reserved the drug only when you feel you needed it under stress.

SSRI can only be prescribe by psychiatrist? Looks like SSRI side effect not like those who will make you sleepy, dizzy etc? I went to see a neurologist for my headache and he gave me this medicine called Lexotan to calm me down, so that i would not have headache. This medicine after eating really no more headache, but it make me sleepy which i do not like. 

Guest Ssri reply
On 7/20/2020 at 11:35 PM, Enchante said:

May i ask what ssri were you prescribed for anxiety? I was recommended lexapro and effexor xr and am considering if i should start the medicine.

Any side effects you experienced?

there are many times of SSRIs and their side effects can differ. And it really depends on how your body takes it.

i was prescribed Zoloft. I started with a small dose and slowly work my work up now to 75mg. The side effects were nasty for me. I couldn’t eat and sleep and my anxiety was through the roof. The side effects came back every time doc wants me to increase the dose. I was given Xanax and larozepam to help me sleep. all the side effects will eventually go away and they go always suddenly. Just tahan through!

Guest Ssri reply

May i ask what ssri were you prescribed for anxiety? I was recommended lexapro and effexor xr and am considering if i should start the medicine.

there are many times of SSRIs and their side effects can differ. And it really depends on how your body takes it.

i was prescribed Zoloft. I started with a small dose and slowly work my work up now to 75mg. The side effects were nasty for me. I couldn’t eat and sleep and my anxiety was through the roof. The side effects came back every time doc wants me to increase the dose. I was given Xanax and larozepam to help me sleep. all the side effects will eventually go away and they go always suddenly. Just tahan through!

Guest Ssri reply

Guest Ssri reply

Guest guest
22 hours ago, Enchante said:

GP can also prescribe SSRI. Lexotan is a benzodiazepine (anti anxiety and sleeping pill)

GP can prescribe SSRI? Lexotan and SSRI, which is better and lesser side effect?

Guest guest
On 7/22/2020 at 10:28 PM, Enchante said:

Yes gp can prescribe ssri. Lexotan cannot be used long term though. More for when needed basis as it is easier to get addicted to. Usually doc will prescribe a benzodiazepine like lexotan in the interim till ssri starts to work (usually around 1 month).

You mean SSRI can be used for long term? Lexotan can get addicted? Meaning the person once stop taking, there will be serious side effect?

Guest guest
On 7/22/2020 at 10:28 PM, Enchante said:

Yes gp can prescribe ssri. Lexotan cannot be used long term though. More for when needed basis as it is easier to get addicted to. Usually doc will prescribe a benzodiazepine like lexotan in the interim till ssri starts to work (usually around 1 month).

I took Lexotan and find this med really relax me a lot, during that 1 week i took this med, i don't feel stress and anxious and also no headache. But it seems like the med slow down my thinking and reaction and feel tired the next day.

22 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

You mean SSRI can be used for long term? Lexotan can get addicted? Meaning the person once stop taking, there will be serious side effect?

SSRI is an antidepressant, hence it is used for longer term. In fact a 6 months to 1 year course of ssri is considered a short course. You can't stop ssri abruptly once you start. Have to slowly reduce the dosage over weeks or months to taper off and stop. If not there will be withdrawal symptoms.

Same for lexotan if you have been taking it for awhile. 

Edited by Enchante

Guest guest
4 hours ago, Enchante said:

SSRI is an antidepressant, hence it is used for longer term. In fact a 6 months to 1 year course of ssri is considered a short course. You can't stop ssri abruptly once you start. Have to slowly reduce the dosage over weeks or months to taper off and stop. If not there will be withdrawal symptoms.

Same for lexotan if you have been taking it for awhile. 

Looks like both med also seems no good, unless really have no choice and need to take.

Guest guest
14 hours ago, p-2122 said:

Try to focus to control your anxiety, through therapy and not medicine and your body may become dependent on the pill. Therapy overcome it and even when your body react to the anxiety, you have learnt to control it.

Say easy than done.What type of therapy do you suggest? Even i have learnt to control it when my body react to the anxiety, but many times i still do not like the feeling of having anxiety or even panic attack, it really affect and ruin my day and also the next few days.

• 5 months later...

I haven’t been very stable with my jobs but I try to end my anxiety each time I’m in an job by leaving. I don’t mind taking low wage labour, having subjected myself to so much anxiety over a slew of high paying jobs. 

I think everyone is going about this in a wrong way. U will need a job, u will need money.

Instead of running away from the problem, why not find a way to face your anxiety ? Believe me when i say that you wouldn't want to be struggling when u're old not having enough money to retire. By then your anxiety is not about having a job but not having a job/money.

Now that u're younger and capable of working, face the problem head on. Speak to your friends or colleague or find out what the bottom line of the problem is. You wont be able to use anxiety as an excuse for the rest of life. It may be a REASON now to not have a job but lets not mistake it for an EXCUSE. While you are dealing with this, many people are putting in the effort in order to retire a comfortable life. By the time you realised it, it will be too late already.

SPEAK TO SOMEONE. THERE WILL BE A SOLUTION OUT THERE INSTEAD OF TRYING TO RUN AWAY FROM YOUR PROBLEMS.

Guest Hairy pussy
44 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

e you are dealing with this, many people are putting in the effort in order to retire a comfortable life. By the time you realised it, it will be too late already.

There is no such thing as Working to become rich and retiring a comfortable life is a very debatable and subjective topic.  Money cannot be the measurement of a person healthy and happiness.  You want to be rich, you need to suck the right cock or cunt and then sell your soul to the master of your life.

If you can't overcome now, you won't overcome in the future jobs too.

It's now or never.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Thread Starter

Interesting to see this thread getting revived. Appreciate the feedbacks :)

Anyway, an update from my side. I actually left the job after 1 month. Took 2 months break to seek therapy and also started on Fluvoxamine. I am a few months into my new Job and to be honest it was still really hard for the first month (though it was actually manageable this time and I dint almost go into panic attack unlike the first time).  My anxiety rarely happens anymore, I just have to deal with my decade long fatigue issue that is making me tired as fuck every day, but it is not something too debilitating - and I am seeking medical help for that as well. 

I do feel that my current working environment is more supportive and that helps me a lot.  its a large organisation this time instead of a start up, which gives me more structure and allow me to focus on working on stuff that I am more interested in. There is also a better onboarding process and a friendly supervisor who have weekly meeting with me that helps to reduce my feeling of uncertainty. 

Unfortunately, I don't think the root cause of my anxiety is solved yet, and a less supportive environment in the future is bound to trigger it again. At the end of the day, I am trying to deal with It by "rewiring" my brain. It is just too prone to catastrophising and negativity right now. Also through therapy I realise how much bullying and ostracism during primary school has played a huge role in the development of my anxiety, which is mostly social in nature but can be very debilitating. 

Anyway, mental problems are very hard to solve, especially those that are chronic. It is so complicated and intertwined and can take years of efforts and yet not guaranteed to succeed. It is also easily brush off by others, because id reckon for the majority of people, they have never experienced actual chronic anxiety and depression. It's not something that can be simply "rationalised away". To be honest, I told myself to fight for a few more years, if really cannot manage and life still unbearable by then...I'll plan for my departure :p.

Guest Flippant Mount (Guest)

Hey, its good to hear that you are on the road to recovery. Based on what you are saying, I do understand what you are going through. Seems like neuroses are eating you away. 

And that suicidal thought, yeah, I get it too. Went through something similar. And I'm depending on medication with a supportive work environment to give me structure while I deal with the neuroses.

Btw, if you need someone to talk to, feel free to reach out. 

I suppose anxiety can hit you in any situation.

You can be in a job that causes you stress and anxiety and you feel you need to break away from it.

However, being without a job and stable income would also bring about stress, anxiety, maybe even fear.

Hence, it all boils down to attitude and your willingness to adapt and compromise?

There are no fairy tale jobs, fairy tale partners, fairy tale life...everything is a struggle, a hustle, a challenge worthy of being alive. If there is no friction, you will be super slyding to the end faster than you can say FOMO.

Learn to enjoy the process, good and bad. It makes one more appreciative of what life has to offer. 

Edited by practease

Guest ThreadStarter

Yep, I agree that anxiety can hit in fact anyone at any situation, fear is after all one of our most primal emotions. Unfortunately, it doesn't hit everyone with the same intensity or frequency. Anxiety disorders are usually when the anxiety has reached a level beyond what is considered "normal" and has significantly affected one's life. 

Sometimes it's not about willingness to adapt and compromise - You can try but still fail without external help or in some situation, medicine (And when those also fail, maybe you just need a less triggering environment). Try as you might, it will be quite impossible to actually enjoy any process if the process is filled with nausea, shortness of breath, fatigue and depressed mood constantly. I mean if there is a magic pill that allow anyone to not experience those symptoms and live their life, I bet most people would take it. (research on magic mushroom seems promising). I don't think anyone wants to be anxious or not enjoy life. 

But yea, unfortunately if you want to be alive, you gotta work and make a living. Pretty much also mandatory for any form of personal development or growth. No getting around that I know. At the end of the day, its to weigh whether the good is worth the unpleasant in life. So far, its debatable at best. 

8 hours ago, Guest ThreadStarter said:

Yep, I agree that anxiety can hit in fact anyone at any situation, fear is after all one of our most primal emotions. Unfortunately, it doesn't hit everyone with the same intensity or frequency. Anxiety disorders are usually when the anxiety has reached a level beyond what is considered "normal" and has significantly affected one's life. 

I think, you are destined to be alone.  Any small little trigger, be it work or relationship or family issues will likely cause a relapse and you will be back to square one of struggling with the issue.  You need to reset, rewire, review, re-adjust and reverse all your dreams, aspirations and then mellow down to a stage where you find anxiety is manageable and sustainable without having to relying on other form of support.  Briefly, you have to move towards the extreme opposite of ambition, aggression to prevent a slightest trigger of anxiety.  Work less, learn more instead of work more and learn less. The ambience you are currently living, look around for objects or colors that make you feel cold and sad. Discard them immediately.   Throw away your television, they are not helpful to human beings as 99% of the news or drama that came out of it is extremely negative and not helpful to human sanity and often a repetition of what has passed,the present and going to happen in future.  You need to stay away from stupid Singapore news.

Last but not least, keep a journal of your daily activities and make it a goal that someday, you are going to compile a life-time story of yourself, upon your retirement.

Edited by Why?

Guest Old movie
1 hour ago, Why? said:

I think, you are destined to be alone.  Any small little trigger, be it work or relationship or family issues will likely cause a relapse and you will be back to square one of struggling with the issue.  You need to reset, rewire, review, re-adjust and reverse all your dreams, aspirations and then mellow down to a stage where you find anxiety is manageable and sustainable without having to relying on other form of support.  Briefly, you have to move towards the extreme opposite of ambition, aggression to prevent a slightest trigger of anxiety.  Work less, learn more instead of work more and learn less. The ambience you are currently living, look around for objects or colors that make you feel cold and sad. Discard them immediately.   Throw away your television, they are not helpful to human beings as 99% of the news or drama that came out of it is extremely negative and not helpful to human sanity and often a repetition of what has passed,the present and going to happen in future.  You need to stay away from stupid Singapore news.

Last but not least, keep a journal of your daily activities and make it a goal that someday, you are going to compile a life-time story of yourself, upon your retirement.

I like to watch old hk movie. Maybe growing up watching those movies. Sometimes just to hear them talking. The familiar voices. Although now there are many many great cgi movies from china, but I still like to watch and hear those actor and actresses from my times. Sometimes feel like my mind is stuck there. Never grow up. Sometimes I was shocked to learn that those actors and actresses already grown old or not around anymore. Upon inspections, I only realised those movies really really very long time ago. But mind still think that they are and look exactly like in the movies. I just find solace watching those movies. Sometimes just to hear those familiar voices.

19 hours ago, Guest Old movie said:

I like to watch old hk movie. Maybe growing up watching those movies. Sometimes just to hear them talking. The familiar voices. Although now there are many many great cgi movies from china, but I still like to watch and hear those actor and actresses from my times. Sometimes feel like my mind is stuck there. Never grow up. Sometimes I was shocked to learn that those actors and actresses already grown old or not around anymore. Upon inspections, I only realised those movies really really very long time ago. But mind still think that they are and look exactly like in the movies. I just find solace watching those movies. Sometimes just to hear those familiar voices.

If you were watching hkg movies in SG, you probably wouldn't have heard the real actors' voices.  All dubbed into Mandarin.

Edited by FattChoy

The pandemic has worn me out and I'm sick of my job. I sought help from Careers Connect if I could change my job type as I think I have been in the wrong job for 8 years but the consultant was pretty unhelpful, probably because she has too many cases to handle since there are so many unemployed people around.

I tried applying for lowly jobs but even cleaning companies won't take me in, as they think I'll leave once I feel less 'depressed'.

5 hours ago, Guest guest said:

I tried applying for lowly jobs but even cleaning companies won't take me in, as they think I'll leave once I feel less 'depressed'.

You mean you went around telling the world you are "depressed"?  Nobody cares and don't expect sympathy in Singapore job market. 9 out of 10 bosses will blare in your face that they are not there to "make you happy".   You are paid to get the job done and do it right.  Period.  Assess your own situation instead of counting on others to help you settle down.  Samaritan don't exist in the work place.  

On 1/26/2021 at 9:07 PM, FattChoy said:

If you were watching hkg movies in SG, you probably wouldn't have heard the real actors' voices.  All dubbed into Mandarin.

Dubbed is better than the actual voices.  Many Singapore actress sound and talk like princess and even more obvious among the new and younger generations of actress. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.