Male HQ

Bangkok ( Thailand ) Covid-19 Discussion

gpfun

5 hours ago, Guest InBangkok said:

Swimming pools are now open after being closed for a month.

Lucky you! My condo pool is STILL closed! The management claims the government hasn't permitted the opening of pools. In my view the government did allow it (except public pools) as it is an outdoor sports facility with no team activity.  But in the EXAMPLES the government only mentioned things like tennis but omitted Swimming. The examples are taken to be exclusive, what isn't mentioned isn't allowed. Stupid! So now I'm hoping for May 17.... 

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest InBangkok
9 hours ago, Sudu said:

My guess is for now, whatever businesses that support local demand will be fine. As far as i know, there are plenty of nightlife entertainment premises do this well too, but due to tourism in silom, local favorties seems to be more in the outskirt of bangkok (R3 sauna or Fake club for example). So when its finally time for these businesses allowed to be open, local horny gays will have to be the one who supply the means for these businesses to survive. The expat and retireee might add to this number too but if thailand is anything like malaysia where in from, due to current economy, expats are thwefirst to go when company is reducing workforce, and most retiree is living in pattaya rather than bangkok. One thing to note, based on reports, back when only China was struggling with the virus, boyztown pattaya has seen a surge of expats and retiree returning to the area as chinese tourist thins down, as it was too crowded for comfort before that hence the expat and retiree prefer the laidback jomtien and the secluded sunee plaza instead. So i guess once more of the small bars close down, people will have to congregate to the one thats left, so a select few of really well to do bars will survive for sure as demand (horny gays) will always be there.

I see your points but I think there are flaws. The nightlife entertainment business in Bangkok has not depended on resident expats for well over a decade. In the central area gogo bars, visiting Asians from Singapore, Taiwan - and mostly China (often Chinese ladies) - have been the primary customer base for several years. Western gay tourists have been on the decline for the same period (remember the 2008 financial crisis which greatly affected disposable income of many westerners who used to visit Thailand regularly?) So when the bars finally reopen, I cannot see western tourists being lured back at a level that would make the bars profitable. Few resident expats visit the gogo bars.

Yes, I am sure you are correct that local Thais will continue to patronise the saunas and many massage spas on the outskirts, the ones that tourists rarely visit, and I expect their future should be assured.

As for Pattaya, sorry again your information seems to be incorrect. When China tours were banned, Pattaya nightlife also suffered badly from a lack of business. Until about 10 years ago, one of the three main gay areas - Sunee Plaza - used to be an expat/western tourist haunt. Its popularity has been declining for years and the area was all but dead at the start of the year. Few reckon it will survive the present crisis. In Boyztown, Chinese tourists recently made up most of the clientele, especially at Boys Boys Boys where the management changed the business model to cater for them. Like most of the other bars in that area, there were few customers once the Chinese ban went into effect. From reading the Thai English chat rooms, it is clear all the bars swere suffering, There was absolutely no surge of expats and retirees. The most popular area was around Jomtien complex. But gogo bars are not permitted in Jomtien, only beer bars, and a majority of the boys there came from Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam - not Thailand. There is a big retiree population in the Pattaya area and I am sure many of them will return. But their business will not be nearly enough to keep the bars profitable.  

One reason for my pessimism about the gay scene is that all nightlife premises have to continue to pay rents and other overheads during the shutdown. Many operate on slim profit margins even at the best of times (this was true even with Babylon sauna in Bangkok which is now up for sale). The regular payments to the police will be suspended but no doubt continue once the premises open again. March, April and June should have been the end of the peak season when decent profits were made  to help business over the slow off season in the summer. 

If - and its a big if - gay tourists return in droves once the country has opened up again, we may be back to business as usual. But this will depend on so many other unknown factors. Will airlines offer the same number of flights? How will social distancing work on flights? Will air fares, as has been predicted, go up significantly? What effect will that have on gay tourism? No doubt the gay scene will continue to exist in some form. After all it survived the disastrous Asian Economic Crisis in 1997 and the 2008 financial crisis. What form it takes, I haven't a clue! 

Guest InBangkok
10 hours ago, bkkuser said:

Lucky you! My condo pool is STILL closed! The management claims the government hasn't permitted the opening of pools. In my view the government did allow it (except public pools) as it is an outdoor sports facility with no team activity.  But in the EXAMPLES the government only mentioned things like tennis but omitted Swimming. The examples are taken to be exclusive, what isn't mentioned isn't allowed. Stupid! So now I'm hoping for May 17.... 

The wording of the government notice clearly states "public swimming pools" can not open. The implication I draw from that is that private pools can open. Clearly our condo management company (which also manages nine other condos in central Bangkok) agrees with me. After all, access to our pool is limited to owners and tenants who are easily traceable. Whenever I have been down over the last week there has been no one else around. I had the pool to myself!

The Thai government said on Monday that it had discovered six new cases of coronavirus infections. All six cases were found in the country’s south with four cases in Phuket, one case in Yale and one case in Narathiwat. The total number of infections is now at 2,015 cases. There were no new fatalities in the last 24 hours with the death toll still at 56. Two more people have recovered from the disease bringing the total number of recoveries to 2,796 cases. 163 people remain in hospital.

Guest Gast

Thank you very much, guys, for some insight on what life is currently like, in Bangkok.

I fervently hope that the gay lifestyle, in Thailand, is not too negatively affected as Thailand is truly one place, in Asia, where a gay person can have some freedom expressing/indulging his gay self.

In the released stats on infection, is it stated whether the new infections are from existing known clusters or does it not go into that detail?

If the new infections are from known clusters than that situation is less serious than if not - if they are new infections and not from existing clusters that would mean that the infection could potentially grow exponentially!

Guest Kylespatrick30
2 hours ago, Guest Gast said:

Thank you very much, guys, for some insight on what life is currently like, in Bangkok.

I fervently hope that the gay lifestyle, in Thailand, is not too negatively affected as Thailand is truly one place, in Asia, where a gay person can have some freedom expressing/indulging his gay self.

In the released stats on infection, is it stated whether the new infections are from existing known clusters or does it not go into that detail?

If the new infections are from known clusters than that situation is less serious than if not - if they are new infections and not from existing clusters that would mean that the infection could potentially grow exponentially!

Saw this article on South Korea: https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/08/anti-gay-backlash-feared-in-south-korea-after-coronavirus-media-reports

Guest InBangkok

There is a big national social stigma in South Korea against gays and a gay lifestyle. Unfortunately the fact that this man who spread the virus visited gay clubs is bound to result in a national reaction.

7 hours ago, Guest InBangkok said:

The wording of the government notice clearly states "public swimming pools" can not open. The implication I draw from that is that private pools can open. Clearly our condo management company (which also manages nine other condos in central Bangkok) agrees with me. After all, access to our pool is limited to owners and tenants who are easily traceable. Whenever I have been down over the last week there has been no one else around. I had the pool to myself!

exactly my thinking (public vs private) too, and exactly my experience, pool usually deserted. Even in normal times, max 2 or 3 people at the pools at the same time. Where is the risk????

Again, lucky you with your management!

The Thai government said on Tuesday that it had discovered two new cases of coronavirus infections.

One case was discovered in Bangkok and one was discovered in Narathiwat.

The total number of infections is now at 3,017 cases. There were no new fatalities in the last 24 hours with the death toll still at 56.

Two more people have recovered from the disease bringing the total number of recoveries to 2,798 cases.

The Thai government said on Wednesday that it had discovered no new cases of coronavirus infections.

“It is the first time since we began reporting that there have been no new infections,” said government spokesman Dr Thaweesin Visanuyothin.

The number of new cases in Thailand has hovered in the single digits for the past two weeks.

The total number of infections remains at 3,017 cases.

There were no new fatalities in the last 24 hours with the death toll still at 56.

46 more people have recovered from the disease bringing the total number of recoveries to 2,844 cases.

The Thai government said on Thursday that it had discovered one new cases of coronavirus infections.

The new case was a Chiang Mai man who had worked previously in Phuket.

That brings the total number of cases to 3,018.

There were no new fatalities in the last 24 hours with the death toll still at 56.

Six more people have recovered from the disease bringing the total number of recoveries to 2,850 cases.

112 patients remain in hospital.

Its a bit tricky as thailand didnt do mass testing yet? Or not being transparent with their testing? In some countries, if infection is found, all close contact up to 14 days before that will be tested. And in some area with high number of case, a full lockdown and mass testing of everyone inside the are is done. Usually after that, new cases will see some spike. How is thailand with their testing method?

Edited by Sudu

The Thai government said on Friday that it had discovered seven new cases of coronavirus infections.

It is the highest number of new infections in a week. All seven cases were returnees from Pakistan and in state quarantine.

That brings the total number of cases to 3,025.

Four more people have recovered from the disease bringing the total number of recoveries to 2,854 cases.

115 patients remain in hospital.

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration on Friday (May 15) resolved to reduce the curfew hours from 11pm to 4am from the current 10pm to 4am, PM's Office Minister Tewan Liptapanlop said

The centre's spokesman, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, said that the new curfew timings take effect from May 17.He added that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha called for greater cooperation from the people to strictly comply with the hygiene rules and social distancing as he was worried the planned second phase of lockdown easing could lead to a fresh outbreak.

BANGKOK — Starting Sunday, malls and several other public venues will be allowed open, and the curfew pushed an hour back to 11pm, the government announced Friday.

Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the Center for the COVID-19 Situation Administration said Friday that starting Sunday, the curfew is pushed from a 10pm closure time to 11pm to 4am. He also said 7 new cases of coronavirus were found, all of them returnees from overseas.

Malls must close by 8pm, Taweesin said. Other venues like food courts, beauty clinics, computer shops and so on can reopen, as well as wholesale stores and fresh markets.

“People have been saying they have to go to the dentist. Now they can,” Taweesin said.

Also eligible to open are meeting venues, galleries, libraries, museums, and film and TV production, although only 50 people can be on set.

Sports venues can only allow non-contact team sports with fewer than 3 members per team, and there must be no audience members. Sports under this category include badminton, sepak takraw, yoga, squash, and rock climbing.

Within fitness centers, group exercises or using gym equipment such as stationary bikes and treadmills are prohibited; only free weights are allowed. At pools, visitors can swim for an hour and must keep in separate lanes, at least 7 feet wide each.

Movie theaters, game arcades, water parks, boxing venues, beauty clinics that operate on the face, and massage parlors will remain closed.

The Thai government said on Saturday that it had discovered no new coronavirus cases.

It is the second time in a week that Thailand has said that there were no new virus infections

That means that the total number of cases is still at 3,025.

One more person have recovered from the disease bringing the total number of recoveries to 2,855 cases.

114 patients remain in hospital.

Just In: 0 New Covid-19 cases in Thailand today (May 16)

Thailand's Royal Gazette has announced that China, South Korea, Hong Kong and Macao will removed from its list of "dangerous disease zones" from Saturday (May 16)

Shopping centres, malls and restaurants inside the buildings will be allowed to resume business nationwide from Sunday (May 17)

The countries remaining on the list are: Spain, France, Germany, Switzerland, the UK, Japan, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Italy, Iran and the United States.

Travellers to Thailand from countries defined as “dangerous disease zones” will have to report daily to the authorities for 14 days after their arrival. They must also agree to install and use a mobile monitoring application.

The ban on flights to Thailand has been extended to June 30th, it has been announced by CAAT (Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand).

With the exception of repatriated Thai nationals, nobody will be allowed entry. Even repatriated Thais will still have to do a two week state quarantine.

Guest Thomas Didymuz Toh
1 minute ago, thickhead79 said:

still no flying till 30 Jun

that is really sad! 
really miss Bangkok and the wonderful sauna scene!

cant wait for air travel to resume! 😜

spacer.png

The Thai government said on Sunday that it had discovered three new coronavirus cases bringing the total number of infected to 3,028 patients.

All three new patients were Thai students in state quarantine. One was a student returning from Pakistan while the other two were students returning from Egypt.

One more person has recovered from the disease bringing the total number of recoveries to 2,856 cases.

116 patients remain in hospital.

BANGKOK: Shoppers flocked to Thailand's top-end malls on Sunday (May 17), eager for retail therapy as shopping centres reopened in a gradual easing of restrictions to revive the coronavirus-ravaged economy.

Hundreds of masked customers passed through temperature checks, disinfection stations and had their photos taken before they were allowed into plush malls in Bangkok.

In the main downtown shopping district, Central World touted a "new normal" of doing business on posters, while screens on the mall's exterior declared "We are open".

The shopping centre relaunch comes with Thailand's infection numbers slowing in recent weeks - authorities announced three new cases Sunday, with the total at just over 3,000.

Thailand reported three additional cases of the new coronavirus on Monday, bringing total cases to 3,031. No additional deaths were recorded, leaving the accumulated toll at 56.

The new cases were a man and a woman in Nonthaburi province near Bangkok and a woman in Phuket in the south of the country, Taweesilp Visanuyothin, a spokesman for the government's Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said at a regular briefing.

Some 2,857 patients in Thailand have so far recovered.

Thailand reported two additional cases of the new coronavirus on Tuesday, bringing total cases to 3,033. No additional deaths were recorded, leaving the accumulated toll at 56.

The two new cases were the daughter and son-in-law of a previously confirmed case in Narathiwat.

Guest InBangkok
On 5/17/2020 at 5:54 PM, thickhead79 said:

BANGKOK: Shoppers flocked to Thailand's top-end malls on Sunday (May 17), eager for retail therapy as shopping centres reopened in a gradual easing of restrictions to revive the coronavirus-ravaged economy.

Hundreds of masked customers passed through temperature checks, disinfection stations and had their photos taken before they were allowed into plush malls in Bangkok.

In the main downtown shopping district,

In addition to all the above, those attending malls need to show a special QR code on their phones on entry and exit. I had not bothered to download the relevant app and so I had to sign in and give my phone number every time.

1 minute ago, Guest InBangkok said:

In addition to all the above, those attending malls need to show a special QR code on their phones on entry and exit. I had not bothered to download the relevant app and so I had to sign in and give my phone number every time.

NEG

u just need to open the QR code scanning camera on yr phone to scan the QR code at the shop. 

end.....

simple as it is

Officials will decide on Thursday on the future of the emergency decree, which is due to end on May 31, National Security Council secretary-general Somsak Roongsita said on Wednesday.

Gen Somsak said the meeting will comprise security officers and representatives from health and business sectors. Whether to extend the law will depend largely on the “actual Covid-19 situation”, he said.

Guest InBangkok
23 hours ago, thickhead79 said:

u just need to open the QR code scanning camera on yr phone to scan the QR code at the shop. 

Thanks for clarifying that.

The Thai government said on Thursday that it had discovered 3 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours.

Two of the new coronavirus cases were discovered in Bangkok with one more discovered in state quarantine.

That brings the total number of cases discovered in the country to 3,037 total cases.

There were no new fatalities with the death toll still at 56.

9 more patient has recovered bringing the total number of discharged patients to 2,897.

84 people remain in hospital.

The Thai government said on Friday that it had discovered no new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours.

That keeps the total number of cases discovered in the country at 3,037 total cases.

There were no new fatalities with the death toll still at 56.

There were 13 new recoveries meaning the total number of discharged patients is now at 2,910.

71 people remain in the hospital for treatment.

Government’s spokesperson Dr Thaweesin Visanuyothin said that the members of the situation centre approved recommendations to extend the country’s SOE until the end of June. It will now require cabinet approval next Tuesday.

Thailand on Sunday reported no new coronavirus cases and no new deaths, maintaining the total to 3,040 confirmed cases and 56 fatalities since the outbreak began in January.

Sunday was the fourth day in this month that there were no new daily cases, said Panprapa Yongtrakul, a spokeswoman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration's coronavirus task force.

There are 2,921 patients who have recovered and returned home since the outbreak started.

Thailand’s government said on Monday that it had discovered two new cases of coronavirus in the past 24 hours.

One of the new cases was an earlier patient’s spouse in Phuket. The other is a Thai in state quarantine.

The new discoveries bring the total number of patients to 3,042.

There was one fatality bringing the death toll up to 57.

Seven more patients have recovered from the virus with the total number of discharged patients at 2,928.

57 people remain in hospital.

Edited by thickhead79

Boxing stadiums, massage parlours, spas, cinemas, convention venues and tutorial schools are among the moderate-risk category of businesses and activities expected to be allowed to reopen for the third stage of Covid-19 lockdown easing next month.

However, pubs, bars and night entertainment venues will remain closed.

Tanarak Plipat, the deputy director-general of the Disease Control Department, said on Sunday that activities and businesses that are at moderate risk of Covid-19 transmission or the so-called ''yellow'' category are expected to be allowed to reopen in the next stage of relaxation.

''The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) is expected to announce the list probably this coming Wednesday or Thursday,'' Dr Tanarak said.

The government confirmed three new coronavirus cases -- all quarantined returnees -- and no additional deaths on Tuesday, a health ministry spokesman said.

The new cases were people who had recently returned to Thailand from abroad and were already in quarantine, said Taweesilp Visanuyothin, a spokesman for the Covid-19 Administration Centre. The new patients either had mild symptoms, or were asymptomatic.

The total number of cases in Thailand is now 3,045, with the death toll remaining at 57.

Thailand’s government said on Wednesday that it had discovered nine new cases of coronavirus in the past 24 hours.

All nine were in state quarantine.

They were all Thais who returned from the US (2), Qatar (1) and Saudi Arabia (6) between May 12-26.

The returnee from the US came back on May 12 but was asymptomatic until 13 days after.

Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, a spokesperson for the Center for the COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), said this is not the first case that was found to be infected with the virus just one or two days before leaving state quarantine.

The CCSA will study these cases but the government will maintain the 14-day mandatory quarantine for returnees instead of increasing it to 21 days for now.

The new discoveries bring the total number of patients to 3,054.

There was no new fatality with the death toll remaining at 57.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.