Male HQ

Who has been to Istanbul?

Guest John

Blue mosque?

Flea market?

I doubt I will wanna go again though.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Istanbul is one of the cities I wanna return again. The food treats are abundant and delicious, with rather cheap prices as well. I like walking around downtown, from Sultan Ahmed or Grand Bazaar all the way down to Eminonu, cross the bridge and continue to Taksim. There are a few types of trams, which I particularly like. Also, depending on where you stay, you can return to your place by ferry. You can enjoy just riding the ferry up and down the Bosporus strait, to get off at many unique places, or just to stay on board the ferry, have coffee and snacks and enjoy the strait`s/ocean` view. There are too many touters in Sultan Ahmed area, however, you can just ignore them. Check out Uber cars there as well, some can be posh and stylish.

I have been twice. It is a stunning city and getting around to the main sights is easy using trams. I'd suggest you start by going up the 14th century Galata Tower in the less touristy Beyoglu district north of the Golden Horn. Don't worry, there is a lift to get you almost to the top. There you will find a circular platform that will give you an easy and uninterrupted view of the entire city. It is a great way to get your bearings. 

DSC05101.jpg

While on that side, also take a tour of the Dolmabache Palace where the Sultans lived. It's situated just beside the Bosphorus.

Istanbul-Dolmabace-Palace.jpg

Another excellent way to get your bearings is to take a boat trip up part of the Bosphorus and back. There are plenty of boats close to the south side of main bridge crossing the Golden Horn. And to tell your friends that you visited Europe and Asia in one afternoon, take a ferry across the Bosphorus to the Asian side. Have a coffee or apple tea whilst watching the sun set over the domes and minarets on the opposite side.

You will certainly want to spend most of your time in the south side of the city in the three main quarters - Seraglio Point, Sultanahmet and the Bazaar Quarter. The sights are almost too numerous to mention. The massive Haghia Sophia is an absolute must. It's been standing for 15 centuries, started as the largest church in the Christian world, converted into a mosque when the Ottoman Turks invaded in 1453, became a Museum last century but has now been converted back to a mosque. Anyone can visit but there are usually queues.

Haghia-Sophia1.jpg

Haghia-Sophia-Interior1.jpg

Next to it is the Blue Mosque, so named for the huge number of blue Iznik tiles that decorate it.

DSC05241.jpg

Spend a morning or afternoon exploring all the buildings in the extraordinary Topkapi Palace. When you feel the need for something to eat or drink, make your way within the Palace grounds to the restaurant in the north east corner. Don't go inside. Take the steps down on the right side and find an open air cafe where you can sit and watch the ships on the Bosphorus whilst enjoying a tea or coffee and a deliciously sweet baklava. The photo of this doorway is just a tiny part of the Palace buildings

Istanbul-Topkapi-Palace6.jpg

Very close by is the Roman cistern built by the Emperor Justinian in the 6th century. With its 330 or more Roman columns it makes a pleasant interlude and is cool in the heat of summer. There are also Roman structures here like Constantine's Column should you have an interest in the fascinating history of the city.

Another must is the Grand Bazaar if only for its sheer size. Just be careful that you have a map as it is easy to get lost. On the west side of the Bazaar is one of the main universities. If you fancy a bit of cruising you cn sit and eat a sandwich outside the gates. But be very careful as this is now a strict Muslim country.

DSC05366.jpg

Not sure of your budget. On my second visit I stayed in a delightful little hotel close to the Blue Mosque. Perfect location - but take ear plugs if you don't want to get woken by the muezzin in the early morning! If you do not know much of the history of the city, do learn at least some before you arrive. The episodes dealing with the Christian Crusades and how these came about, especially the Fourth Crusade led by the octogenarian Archbishop of Venice which so weakened the city it became ripe for invasion by the Ottoman Turks, is essential as it provides background to the appalling behaviour of the Christian armies and the rising importance of Islam throughout what had been the huge Byzantine Empire.

Lastly, make sure you have a good map. For just a few days, I really recommend the DK Eyewitness Ten Best Guide. It will have everything you need to know and great, easy to follow maps. For a longer trip, get the larger DK Eyewitness Istanbul Guide.

Edited by InBangkok

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice and fascinating country to visit but unfortunately,  the street are full of people from 5 years old to 100 years old,  who are ready to cheat you at  any given chance. Best way and the only way to walk down the street peacefully is to put on your earpiece to shut them off.

On public buses and trains,  pickpockets are always on the move, alone or in a gang and even in a taxi, you are not safe. Try to give exact amount,  otherwise make sure you "inform" the drivers you are giving him a $50 note because in a split second,  he will swap it and ask why you give a $5 note,  ha....  

Edited by lonelyglobe

Gorgeous country. Gorgeous men! Try one of the hammans - they are still open and an eyeopener. 

Also look out for the stray cats and dogs in Istanbul - they are protected by law and the locals treat them with a lot of respect. Perfect for photos. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.