Male HQ

3 Miles Journey - A story

Guest Black Kitten

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 37)

Again, super hot weather.  The grass have all dried up.  Luckily, it was windy, but the heat has slowed my jogging to just 4km even though I have strong energy today.   The day seems longer in Singapore, the sun burns beyond 6pm.  I was almost alone at the jogging track with very few people turning up under the burning sun.  Towards my finishing line, saw 4  Gurkhas running and two younger ones were wearing thick fur sweater as they jogged.  I wonder why.  Stylish or something cool inside those sweater or probably they are good sweat absorber...hmmm.  Anyway it looks funny to wear so thick during jogging while I was wearing light and airy shirt as always.   Will see what happens tomorrow.  May need to download new music to keep me going at the running track.  

On 1/23/2021 at 6:57 AM, Black Kitten said:

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 19)

Finished my last bar of Mars chocolate.  Not my fav though.  But I have been thinking why Yogurt and Granola bars are called  "healthy snack" when they contain trans fat.   Every item in the supermarket is not exactly healthy.  even those sports drink has high sugar content too.  Thus, I ran with empty stomach most of the time (sometime Milo Kosong) before a jog and then drank English Tea or plain water thereafter if I am thirsty.   I guess, that is my routine for now.

There is a deceptive use of the tag "healthy snack" in highly processed foods.  Granola bars are nutritionally horrible, no matter how 'healthy' they taste.  Commercial yogurt is not much better.  There are much better alternatives.  Instead of Granola, it is healthy to eat nuts and seeds.  Raw almonds are ideal.  Same with pumpkin seeds.  We can make our own yogurt with whole milk and a starter, like a small amount of a commercial yogurt.

On 2/2/2021 at 10:59 PM, Black Kitten said:

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 28)

Anyone whose systolic level in between 90 and 100 (without medication), I am completely envious. 

Ideal systolic pressure may be between 100 and 120.  90 is a bit too low, making one dizzy if not sufficient blood reaches the head.  Ideal diastolic is between 50 and 70.  A heart rate of 60 or less beats per minute at rest is also quite good.  As a runner, you may have it closer to 50 beats per minute.

It may be wise to not worry too much about  variations in blood pressure,  it changes during the day, it can be different in one arm and the other,  even repeated readings don't necessarily give the same numbers.  The algorithms used by the monitors only approximate the real pressure maximum and minimum.

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Sexy Male Nursy
2 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Ideal systolic pressure may be between 100 and 120.  90 is a bit too low, making one dizzy if not sufficient blood reaches the head.  Ideal diastolic is between 50 and 70.  A heart rate of 60 or less beats per minute at rest is also quite good.  As a runner, you may have it closer to 50 beats per minute.

I am curious.  At your age, what is yours readings since you sound like workout xpert here.

47 minutes ago, Guest Sexy Male Nursy said:

I am curious.  At your age, what is yours readings since you sound like workout xpert here.

My readings fluctuate in the range 100 and 120 for systolic,  60 and 70 diastolic, and about 55 beats per minute at rest.   These readings have been there for decades.  But sometimes they read outside this range,  but seldom exceeding 140/80.

Edited by Steve5380

• 2 weeks later...

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 38)

The early week has good weather, windy with slight cloud.  But, it has been raining quite heavily the last two days.  I like the cooling weather but I can't be running under the rain.   This week experience was rather annoying.  An elderly man was cycling beside me as I jogged.  I go slow to let him overtake me, but he deliberately didn't want to accelerate and throughout the last 1km journey, he was "following" every of my foot step.  I was under stress.  Was thinking of getting a hair cut, but I would like to feel my hair blowing under the windy day for a few more days and I think, because of that, I have seen one straight couple staring at me and the wife has thinning hair which explains their rude stares.

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 40)

The weather was unusual today.  It was like standing at the edge of the sword not knowing where it will lean - sunny nor rainy.  I was also too tired after spending a day browsing at the Bookstore and accidentally fished out a rare book for SGD10, at their bargained bin.  Amazon and ebay were selling the same book for at least USD100 - USD180 (Pre-owned), because the book was out of print.  I immediately listed the book after doing some online research.  The amazing thing was, while reading the book on the bus home, I felt stable.  In the past, I would feel dizzy within second after reading a book on the bus.  Today I have no nausea feeling at all.  I think, it has got to do with my regular jogging that helped to stablise my mental pressure.  I hope my book sell, otherwise they are also precious item for keepsake.  

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 41)

My book was sold overnight, and netted SGD65 profit.  Having second thought that I might be selling too cheaply, I told the buyer the book was "Not available" and I refunded him.  Me bad.  Even the soft paper back was fetching at SGD80 and above and my hardback copy should worth even more. Amazon is not selling them (both soft and hardback), and a set comprised Vol 1 and 2 was sold for SGD550.  Vol 1 (which I picked up for SGD10) is the rarest, whereas Vol 2 can still be seen in ebay selling at SGD40 minimum.   I am keeping the book for now and if I decided I wanted to list again. I must net at least SGD100 profit.   Anyway,  I jogged 5.5km under extreme windy day.  I am beginning to see less people jogging, as I suspect most people were resting after vaccination.  I am not sure if I want to go for vaccination if being called upon to do so.  No letter from the govt yet.  I will not be able to jog if I get vaccinated. at least for a period of time.  Finger crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 42)

I hate to admit, the recent weather is like a woman's mood.  You can't predict if it is scorching mad or stormy wet.  Today is the worse.  The heat reached its max unlike yesterday where half the island is wet and the other half is completely dry.  May be, it is time to take a break and go for vaccination, but everytime I tried to register, I chickened out, and then put on my shoes and start running again.  Every day, when I ran and ran, my mind was blank and it seems like I didn't care anymore.  All I ask for is a windy cool day,  a strong knee and less crowded path but the capitalistic force has started, I saw machines moving and there is going to be massive development nearby.  I can't imagine what is going to happen to the place I used to jog in future.  Already, I saw many cyclist taking over the space in recent days and they don't give people like us the room to run smoothly.  As for development, the tall buildings is not going to shield us from the sun but the wind instead and not forgetting the future carbon coming out from those buildings.  All those talk about climate protection, sounds like a loud fart over nothing.   *sigh*

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 43)

My skin instantly turned dark brown after jogging 5.5km today.  It wasn't an ideal weather but was well compensated for the empty track.  I run alone, all by myself on a windless and very quiet day.  Everyone seems to be resting at home, either due to the weather or after their vaccination.    I need to have more discipline and jog regularly regardless of the weather going forward and there is a reason,  I may be going for my blood test soon. the last one was done 2 years ago mentioned (Part 1) I may not be going to the same doctor to prove him wrong about me, or should I?  If the test result showed my improvement in cholesterol, he is pretty fucked up but if it proved otherwise, then I am fucked and he will immediately chained me to his chair and shoved medication down my throat for money.   I kept revisiting all my past record.  Though my LDL is on borderline since 2015,  my Triglycerides were consistently low since 2001 to 2017, not to mention my HDL is still quite high.  How can that be a bad thing?   I am puzzled why my family doctor was too eager to prescribe medication to bring my LDL down. 

Edited by Black Kitten

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 44)

I ran 6km non-stop.  It started with sunny sky and then drizzle on my last remaining 1.8km.  I was completely soaked in sweat and a bit of rain.  After dinner and shower,  I have another historical break-through on my BP reading. 

right-first.jpg

For reassurance, I took another reading:

right-2nd.jpg

I think I am on the right track today. Probably I ate too many water melon and drank some cold water after the run.   So happy. 

• 2 weeks later...

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 45)

Have been running consecutively at 5.5km for several days now.  Wind, cloud, shines, no stopping me as I count down to my next blood test.  It is nice feeling after a shower and nice salted porridge a while ago and here is my reading which I wrapped extremely tight around my arms for more accurate reading.

skin.jpg

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 46)

I have tried my best to run at least 4 days the last week.  It was stormy, and once I get caught mid-way in the rain.    Over the last couple of years, I was trying to prove something and it is about time now.  I have scheduled for my blood test this week and hopefully I get to run another couple miles prior.   Looking back, how time flies and how I flew too, on the jogging track.   My 3 miles journey was not easy but I am keeping my finger crossed.

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 47)

I was having anxiety at the clinic.  The queue was long, the nurses were busy and its phone kept ringing. My height appears to be taken wrongly (short by 6cm) because the nurse simply wanted to get over swiftly by placing a floppy magazine above my height to give it a rather non-chalanted reading.   My high blood pressure shot up to 70/164 due to white coat syndrome.   I told the doctor my  BP readings were normal at home as I took it quite regularly.  Anyway,  my weight has been consistently the same for the past 20 years.  Finger crossed for now.

Ouch.jpgOuch!!!

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 48)

I am still running 5km after my blood test but, I am also snacking unusually - eating potato chips, cakes, ice cream, sweet fruits since yesterday.  I should have more confidence in myself and stop torturing my body while waiting for the results.  As for white coat hypertension,  I think it was traced back many years ago when I have to deal with human tantrums, sarcasm, emotional backslash and narcisstic people almost regularly to the extend my blood pressure became quite abnormal at times.  It only calm down when I am all by myself, at the seaside or some quiet serene places.  Singapore did not provide much of such luxury places.  Everytime I stepped into office, a clinic, heard a quarrel or confront an unreasonable person, the hypertension will suddently came.  I thought running, is a form of quiet zone.  I run without needing to think and I focus on my breath and the weather of the day.  Fortunately, I have miles of runway at my doorstep.  My BP was normal under those cirucmstances.

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 49)

The day of reckoning, after 2 years of 3 miles endevaour, my test result is out.  Should  I stick my middle finger through my previous doctor’s ass who insisted on putting me under statin  by claiming it was impossible for LDL to go down (refer Part 1)?

Year 2018                   Now (3 miles later)

Total Cholesterol       6.16                                         5.7

HDL                            1.35                                         1.50

LDL                            4.16                                         3.51

Choesterol/                4.57                                         3.8
HDL Ratio

Triglycerides              1.44                                         1.50

I spared my previous doctor of his embarrassment by using a different clinic this year.  Anyway,  today’s male doctor (in his late 30s to early 40s) is very engaging and cute looking. He helps me with the above ratio and was very encouraging.

Though I am still borderline, despite improvement,  I believed my 3 miles journey has paid off somewhat and continue (hopefully with proper diet) until I am  back to the grinding world, of slavery and start throwing my well-beings into the wind – which is scary to think about.

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 50)

I am looking very tanned and continuing with my, at least, 4 days weekly jog despite the exteme sunny weather. I did attempt one evening jog after the sun was down, but it was packed with many elderly folks, fast cyclists and surprising several indian families, where I coudn't run smoothly without fear of  being tripped or  knocked over someone or something.  Though I must say, I could run much faster at night.  Anyway, I ran 5.5km instead of 3 miles, with the aim to further bring  my cholesterol down to its preferred optimal level.   Running, helps me  sweat out whatever virus was in the body and an excuse not to  wear mask while I am running.    I hate wearing mask, I felt deprived of oxygen and kept sweating beneath my mask if I were to go out.  I felt freedom in the air, during running. It was like, the only time I could fly out of the circuit and freed from everything happening in the world today.  

Edited by Black Kitten

• 2 weeks later...

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 51)

Didn't fail running 5.5km as often as the weather permit.  Feeling very much alone on the running track as I see less and less joggers perservered as compared in their early days when I first attempted my first jogging endevour.  This has to be a good sign as I didn't like the place to be crowded.  My runners knees are returning, feeling a slight pinch whenever I exerted my knee joint muscle.  2 days ago, I thought I saw a guy taking a video of me warming up, and nearly freaked me out.  I have also decided to start making myself a cup of after-jog drink:  Promegranate Juice with Chia seeds daily.  Hoping to get the nutrients I need after a run because I sweat a tone like someone who had a swim in the pool.  I felt embarassed when my shirt was fully soaked, exposing my nakedness.

IMG-20210513-091958.jpg

Edited by Black Kitten

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 52)

I usually don't jog on weekend for simple reason - too many cyclists riding in group or in family with young kids.  Some sport funatics could be seen racing as if to see who could get a "trophy".   Weekend is often crowded and a more risky time to jog,  sharing the same narrow path with them.  However, I made an exception over the weekend, because the weather was quite cool.  After jogging for about 1 km,  I wtinessed an accident, an elderly man in his late 70s or 80s was knocked down.  He sprawled on the floor, one eye  closed and another opened with blood shot in it, he was bleeding and look lifeless.  A group of cyclists gathered around to tend to him and there was no 2nd guessing what happened.   I thought, his chance of survivial was slim and I carried a heavy heart to continue running for the next 4km.  When I returned, he was on a stretcher talking to a nurse about what happened by pointing his finger at one of the cyclists.  I wanted to be sarcastic towards those cyclists about the "trophy" they achieved but decided to shut my mouth and move on from the scene. 

Whenever I saw scene like the above, I can't help thinking the elderly man could be living alone, no friend, no family.  What will happen to him in the hosptial and the possible side effect after the concussion....it is something to ponder for the youngsters who caused this to happen.  I hope the offender pay for his medical bills. which may not come cheap.

Edited by Black Kitten

• 2 weeks later...

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 53)

5.5km jog has became my minimum distance.  A little bit of knee issue, but still manageable due to good weather.   Everyday, I saw the same strolling couple, the anti-gay one (Part 1). At times, I saw the wife "gossiping" while casting her look in my direction, but after some time, the husband began to see that I was quite a fit regular jogger and almost wanted to "greet" in my direction.  I ignore them.  I will never believe that leopard will ever change its spot, thus never pay much attention to their expression.  Yesterday, I saw them again, we were both at the starting point.  After they have finished walking 1.8km,  I have already completed my 5.5km run and surprisingly, the couple started clapping.  Their clap (starting from the husband) was loud, heavy and slow, almost seems  like a sympathy clapping of hands.   Luckily I have my earplug and moved on,  seeing no evil and hearing no evil.  It is my personal 3 miles journey, to improve my health, not theirs.

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 54)

After running  3 consecutive days, I rested today because yesterday (Sat) I was scolded by a cyclist for blocking his way during running.  I didn't want to compete the path with them again.  I spend the whole day sleeping, resting and had a dream.  I dreamt falling into the MRT track and not sure how to get out of there, then I climbed from rail to rail, that look like a tall curvy coastal structure, and every few minutes the train will brush by my skin and send  electrical current in my way.  It was a nervous dream and I managed to jumped off the track before the next train arrived. 

I woke up taking my blood pressure

left.jpg

Edited by Black Kitten

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 55)

Weather was very unforgiving today.  I was toasted, but the empty track more than compensated for the heat I endured.  My left ankle was weak  and I nearly twisted my leg every few hundred meters and still managed to cover 5.5km.  There were  a number of new joggers today, mostly middle-aged buffed guys I have never seen before.  Overall, it was a quiet and sunny day and I look like the color of lobster now.   How about a sip of refreshing coconut chia seed drink?

coconut-chia.jpg

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 56)

Just completed this week of 5.5km.  It was crowded today, as usual on weekend,  I run like a snake, meandering to avoid colliding with cyclist.  I noticed my double-chin has reduced a fair bit too.   I am planning to get a pair or single dumbell   to train my arm muscle.  Not sure which weight level is more suitable and will pay a visit to sport shops tomorrow.   Was thinking in the range of 3kg to 5kg for one arm.  

Edited by Black Kitten

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 57)

Finished my 5.5km run this week.  Not sure if I wanted to do one more on Saturday or spend some time shopping for dumbell.  Last week, saw a pair of dumbell at Decathlon but they were too heavy (5kg each) to be carried via public transport. So I didn't buy.   I may just get one piece,  4 or 5kg, if I find one tommorrow. No hurry though, may even consider a single kettle dumbell not exceeding 8kg to help improve my arm and upper body blood circulation

Weather has been good, misty, cloudy and slight windy on different days.  My daily intake of supplements are:

Omega 3 softgels

Multivitamin

Vitamin C tablets

Magnesium Glycinate

Hope the above basics are sufficient to improve the heart and blood circulation

Occassionally, I will also prepare some refreshing drink after a run, like this multivit drink with Chia seeds.

IMG-20210611-174439.jpg

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 58)

Was having a restful day in the afternoon, napping and dreaming under the fan in my room.  Woke up, took some snacks and did some body stretching  under the sheltered tree.  The weather was on fire the whole afternoon.    Suddently, the sky turned gloomy and the sun was blocked, followed by strong gush of wind blowing in all my directions.  Then I heard a voice from above "RUN" and an obedient me did just that for 6km without the sun.  I thought I could rest today, but ended up all wet and sweaty.  What a day I have never quite expected.  Thereafter I drank a lot of water, coconut drink, an ice cream, a full apple, two bananas and coffee.  Imagine the last couple years running 3 miles, I wondered how many times have circled around the earth todate?  I badly need a break tomorrow. 

If someday, I have decided to stop posting, it means I am pursuing other endeavour in my life that do not require me to run like Forrest Gump.

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 59)

The weather is awesome the entire week. I managed to cover the ground except on one 1 rainy day.  Today's weather is most ideal, no sunlight, extremely breezy and all trees smell fresh to the nose. There were lightning & dark cloud lingered from a distance, but my town was not affected and there was a moon under the faint daylight.  Unprecedented weather, unpredictable nonetheless, in the mid year of Singapore.  This week was a gift to me.

Of late, I sweated a lot, probably drank too much water before running and caused my underwear to soak easily from perspiration.  At times, I placed my hand inside to air dry while caressing the shape of my naked butt .  To my surprised, my butt cheeks have became rounder and more full.  I pulled down my shorts immediately, look in the mirror and was pleased with what I saw.  Another new discovery for having prolonged run.

Edited by Black Kitten

• 2 weeks later...

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 60)

Ended my weekly 5.5km under good weather today.  People are so used to seeing me and recently, strangers gave me a good vibe feelings.  Sometimes, one or two would smile at me, quite suddently and I didn't know how to recipocrate while running.  Yesterday, a nice cyclist overlook me swiftly and reminded me that one  of my shoe lace went loose.   The strolling anti gay couple, the man decided to "ditch" his wife and start jogging alone now.   May be, I have became his inspiration.  Hard to tell. 

Despite all my 3 miles stories, I will be taking a couple of months break, for the first time, to recuperate from mRNA vaccination, but I  ain't sure if it is too risky to run before my 2nd dose and even thereafter.  For health reason, I am giving myself a holiday from the running track.  As for the Gurkha, I hardly see many of them running, after they were given mandatory jab few months earliear than me.  They sure have given themselves longer "holiday" than necessary?   Anyway, that's it for now.

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 61)

Today is not the best weather for the final run this month.  I was toasted for 5.5km.  Collected my first Oximeter and tested prior to the run.

IMG-20210705-131739.jpg

Test result AFTER THE RUN:

https://i.postimg.cc/25ZHQz6M/Oxi.jpg

Oxii.jpg

Reading my latest BP

IMG-20210705-180222.jpg

Final hydrating my body with two cups of Coconut Chia Seeds drink.

IMG-20210705-173813.jpg

Now,  I think I am ready.  Wish me luck!

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 62)

Surprisingly, it was very quiet on my 1st injection day.  No pain, no feelings, no waiting time. The crowd was sparse, mostly make up of young hunk.  After collecting my first certificate, I was advised not to swim, cycle, RUN...etc. for a least a week. 

IMG-20210706-091006.jpg

The nurse carefully injected way high up my arm, near shoulder joint level.  Don't know why.

inj.jpg

Edited by Black Kitten

• 4 weeks later...

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 63)

I have rested a fair bit since my 1st vaccination and only started to jog "irregularly" 10 days later.  Last week, I was so full of energy I ran 5 consecutive days, under extreme hot weather.  My skin became darker.  Today, the weather was cool and windy with the sun fully blocked out.  It was perfect for running and the path was clear of human and cyclist traffic.   I fully enjoyed the 5.5km journey with ease but because of the harsh weather last week, I felt feverish at night. 

Taking my BP & oximeter after dinner

BP.jpgIMG-20210802-195559.jpg

Measuring my body temperature

IMG-20210802-195902.jpg

Drinking "Snake Grass Water" to cool my body heat before heading to bed

IMG-20210802-201528.jpg

I bought a pack of "Snake Water" for a reason. 

Wish me luck!

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 64)

Received my 2nd Dose of Covit-19.  Unlike my 1st dose that seems like ant's bite.  My 2nd dose feels like being stung by bee. 

IMG-20210803-103842.jpg

Not very pack in the observation area. 

observe.jpg

It is obvious,  I won't be particpating in any of the below activities for the next week or so.. May be I will rest 2 weeks to puff up and eat more, looking aged for running too regularly. 

IMG-20210803-155707.jpg

Went to buy lunch immediately after my vax.  For $8.20 a pack, not sure whether that is the standard price for Malay food,  but they do look expensive.IMG-20210803-121049.jpg

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 65)

I thought I was strong but I had high fever in the middle of the night after my 2nd Dose of vaccination.  It didn't subside on the 2nd day and I felt wobbly moving around.   I popped 1 panadol immediately in the morning and another before heading to  bed the 2nd night.  Simple showering, also brought chill in my body.  I didn't expect my body to react so swiftly to the vaccines.  Not a very pleasant experience to someone who hardly fall sick, unless I was under tremendous stress and usually happened from work.   If there is going to have a 3rd booster dose,  I definitely wouldn't want to be the first in line.

Today, is the 3d day,  I felt normal again.  Me think.

• 2 weeks later...

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 66)

I started my jogging on the 7th day of my 2nd vax and had an instant headache.  I had a freaked and rested a couple more days before resuming. 

Today, I finally completed my 9 days of consecutive run.  I love the weather and ran under the mild drizzling day.  My feet were light and airy.  A no mask activities are the best time of the day.  Singapore is heading in the cooling and wet season.  The air is going to be refreshing.  I can't wait to take off my mask and get on my feet as regular as possible now that I am fully vaccinated.   The seasoned joggers are dissappearing, for reason unknown.  The regular Ang Mo cyclists are  giving way when they saw me,  I think, they love seeing familiar face now.  

Time flies,  I hope my Cholesterol level has greatly improved at this point.   Regardless, my perserverence has improved my well beings. my heartbeat and pulse optimised and my mind clarity sharpened.  Briefly,  I am more calm than usual.  I didn't wish to go the dermentia route that my neighbour is sufferings.  It is scary to think about old age.

Anyway, I rewarded myself with Mountain Dew and probably take a break over the weekend.  Simple pleasure.

IMG-20210819-172917

• 3 weeks later...

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 67)

Today is the 3rd day  of my consecutive run, this week, with weak and painful ankle.  I wanted to to bring down my sugar level due to over consumption of sweet stuffs (cake and coke) the last couple of weeks.

After my 2nd vaccine injections a month ago,  I noticed my stamina has not been as good as prior to vaccination.  I wasn’t sure it was due to psyschological or physical effect, but my legs get weak easily after running a couple of km route. At times, I also noticed shorter breath, even under good weather.  My painful ankle was the result of forcing myself to maintain the pre-vaccine stamina.

After two weeks of painful ankle, I am not sure when it will heal, but I forsee myself on track again, at slower pace, after this week end.

Edited by Black Kitten

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 68)

I think monsoon season is around the corner and makes for a good jogging.  My ankle has healed 85% after two days of rest and I run with light feet non-stop 5.5km today.  The air was cool and refreshing and the runway was quite empty (presumably everyone taking cover in recent spike of Covit?).  I was having a good time with my mask off, to embrace the breeze.  It will be nice to have such a weather & empty space daily and I can run as much as I wanted.  It has been more than a month or two since my last BP reading,  I bravely took out the machine and anxiously waited for the readings...

IMG-20210913-192538

My oximeter has been sitting idle for the longest time too..

IMG-20210913-191931

Now, checking whether I am Covit-ed

IMG-20210913-192826

Looking pretty safe overall.  Which means, I have conquered Covit with my regular jog. 

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 69)

My ankle pain relapses but endurable.   I tried to adapt to the discomfort because the weather was too good to be missed, in the last couple of days.

The sun was sheltered and the sky bright, with day time moon hung high, creating a good breeze. The ground was almost deserted, with rarely one or two Gurkhas whizzed past.  I felt alone, as if I was the last man running in the wild.

Time flies, melancholy set in and I am still treasuring every moment given, as if it will be the last, with the surrounding development taking place faster than my own feet. At times, I have the urge to stop because my running shoes have seen much of its days and showed signs of near damage.  Not to mention my cholesterol has already achieved healthy level.

Anyway, two more days to run before taking a break again and then ponder beyond...

IMG-20210915-170753-1

Edited by Black Kitten

• 3 weeks later...

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 70)

Not much event this week, due to consecutive heavy downpours.  Probably I was fated to take a rest, as the ache from ankle tendon has not fully recovered and I jogged slower than usual.  

I think it was Wednesday when the weather looks fine, I decided to jog again.  An old man in front of me was taking his own sweet time running at snail pace.  I  caught up and overtook him unintentionally even with aching ankle.  I think he was a little unhappy, he sped in front of me, blocked my way before he continued with his snail pace.   At the pace he was jogging, any slow jogger could easily overtake him but he kept feeling angry about it.  Now, I know what "road rage" looks like.   If you wanted to go slow, let others moved ahead instead of needing your "approval".  

To avoid confronting the old man,  I picked up my speed and ran 30 meters ahead of him before slowing down again and he didn't manage to catch up.  This pandemic has resulted in people getting weird nowadays and I felt feverish whenever I see the number of cases went up daily.  Here is my BP reading for not jogging much this week.

Right Arm

right.jpg

Left Arm

left.jpg

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 71)

It is my 2nd consecutive days of jogging this week.  I still didn't see any full recovery of my ankle and have doubled down on my running speed while sticking to the usual 5km route.  I may decide to end my 3 miles of journey soon if my ankle continues to ache.  Rubbing it with expensive Tiger Balm joint rub, every night, didn't seem to help much. 

I guess, years of running may just finally come to its end and there is really nothing I can do about it except to recuperate and start a new journey, probably.  Let's see what transpire this month and watch for any sign of improvement before coming to a concrete decision.

Edited by Black Kitten

• 3 weeks later...

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 72)

I jogged twice this week, relied soley on my right foot, because there was no more gravity on my aching left ankle.  I pushed a 6km distance, with foolish intend to strain my right legs completely, but ended up having a slight fever the same night.    I did so again, today, but the weather was too awesome I actually jogged very slowly, enjoying  the sounds of flowing river and rustlling trees on a very quiet day, after a heavy rainfall.  

Regardless what happen,  I need to jog because I have an inch thick of fat when I pinched my tummy. This was the result of taking too much soft drinks, potato chips, burgers and creamed biscuits lately, when I was in resting mode.  Aching foot and undisciplined diet, sounds like a combo perfect for disaster on gaining fat.  

If weather permits tomorrow, I may consider pushing my speed again, with my right foot.  Let's pray it doesn't snap on me.

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 73)

I had fever over the weekend again.  I think the real culprit came from eating peanuts.  Didn't manage to run as regularly as I wanted, in part due to weather and...my aching ankle. 

During my free time, I came across this video which I can relate  (6:46 onwards).   May be, someday,  I will run 30 days in row and see what happens.

Edited by Black Kitten

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 74)

I slow jogged 6km today, to purge and heal my body from weekend fever.  Perspiration helps to bring down my body temperature and get rid of gas and inflammation resided in my body, because I suspect nerves infection has been causing sensitivity and soreness on my left arm and pinching sensation on my left chest since Friday.  As the weather was cool, I turned the shower into extreme hot mode and gave my left arm a "hot spring" bath, until my arm became numb and the pain subsided. 

It is 25th October today.  I am thinking hard whether to start a 30 days consecutive jog challenge, until 25th November.  I need to stimulate more healing and strenghtening of health that has been causing me discomfort lately and especially the opening of borders for human traffic this week.   Thereafter, I can take my well deserved break to enjoy Christmas season towards the closure of 2021. 

Edited by Black Kitten

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 75)

Today is my 5th day of consecutive 5.5km jog, out of the 30 days challenge?  It is tentative for now,  unless I am pushing myself forward over the weekend, where traffic is a little challenging.  If I managed to cover the ground and persevered until the next weekend,  I am half way into succeeding my 30 days 5.5km challenge, unless I dread this weekend and put a sudden stop and take a rest... let's see.

Anyway, it is a good week , less crowd, clear sky and autumny breeze, that prompted me to never give up - despite the ankle issue. 

Other small issues include elderly folks and middle-aged uncles & aunties giving me a smug look, as I jogged pass their view while in full perspiration. They probably thought I was trying to prove something but I have none to show, honestly.   My neighbours are wondering why I ain't working on weekdays and had so much free time to do what I did.  Talk about gossipers. 

The good things are, younger joggers and athelete types of folks, often looked at me in awe for my persistency. I am not ruling out a couple of Gurkhas too, whispering among themselves as we crossed path, because of my familiar sight to them. If that is considered an encouragement to pursue my 30 days challenge.

I managed to time myself this week, consistently achieving 35 minutes over 5.5km distance.  Nothing to boast about.  Being a homely person, that free space I gave to myself, to unmask and breath properly, is a world of simple pleasure under the rhythm of my feet. 

My BP after the run

IMG-20211029-175152

IMG-20211029-174130

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 76)

I am supposed to offer good news that I have nearly covered half of my 30-days jog challenge today, but it was not the case.  

After my first 8 days of consecutive run,  the regular storms prevented me from going out for couple of days.  Adding to the woes, I was also issued with High Risk Warning Order from MOH, to self-isolate for 7 days at home. Which means, the entire family members staying with you have to follow the same order.  Some strangers with Covit virus, must have crossed path with me, somewhere on the Bus, inside MRT or  in the Mall (along the NE MRT line). 

With increasing infected daily cases, it shouldn't come as a surprise at some point in life, you will get the scare.  Being a homely person, if I have been issued with such warning, and if so who could be spared?

Here is my self-administered ART which I send to MOH.  Negative. Thank God, at least I can still go out to buy foods.

IMG-20211103-154636.jpg

Edited by Black Kitten

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 77)

I have completed the 7-day self-isolation notice.  During this period, my BP reading wasn't quite optimal 135/80 with pulse rate of around 55-65.   Today, I jogged 6km to bring down my BP reading to 106/67 with pulse hovers in the range of 75-82.  

I did some arm stretching over the week and accidentally injured a large vein along the arm, it "clogged" on specific area  and was a little painful.  I hope it was not due to MRna vaccine that triggered a protein spike to heal the inflammation. Otherwise it seems too much along my arm to the spleen area, sensational and discomforting.  Whatever that was, I am a little paranoid and I am not a doctor.  Anyway....

since it is not possible to carry out 30 day consecutive jog challenge,  I am planning to do a 30-day sugar free diet challenge instead.  It sounds even more challenging but at least it is within my control, regardless of weather.   I am going to start this new challenge on Monday for 30 days.  I will update my sugarless feelings along the 30 days journey. *Finger-crossed"

IMG-20211112-175742

IMG-20211112-175303.jpg

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 78) – a bit long story

It is my 5th day of "Sugarless" or low sugar 30-day challenge.  The followings are my standard regime.

2g Sugar Cereal Oat (Breakfast)
Half bowl of rice (or noodles) – 2 meals a day
Almond/Walnut (a pinch to keep my mind off hunger)
1 whole Avocado – after dinner
Sparkling mineral Water with added Lemon  (after 5km jog)
 Bitter Gourd Tea – throughout the day to keep stomach full (more delicious & cheapter than Earl Grey).  Will patronise chinese pharmy stores more often.

(No snack, no supper the whole day)

IMG-20211115-091109

IMG-20211114-160823

IMG-20211115-191104

IMG-20211114-161015

IMG-20211115-135938

On the 3rd Day, my BP reading (before dinner)

IMG-20211117-174152

On my 4th Day, I was extremely hungry and I cheated with some biscuits and a large meat bun in between meal.

Today (5th Day),  I resumed to low Sugar, low Carb diet and for the first time (to fulfill my bucket list mentioned in Part 26 above),  I  jogged between 8 to 8.5km (non-stop) under extreme scorching weather.   Here is my BP reading after dinner, the number “plunged”

1st reading

2nd Attempt

3rd Attempt (to confirm the reading)

The one week minimalist eating (with less sugar) has served as reference to possibly cure  my historical hypertension? Or has my long distance running, today, contributed to the calibration of my heart pressure?   I am not sure, which prompted me to take a break from running.  After today, I will stop stop dieting (trust me, it is a real struggle) but will allow myself time to progress slowly until I can Tahan a strict eating habbit.  

Meanwhile, I will stop running (which explains why I deliberately jogged 8-8.5km today)  and give myself a month to write book on healing thru dieting. 

Meow.

Edited by Black Kitten

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 79)

The weather was too awesome I can't miss getting on my feet today.  The sky was slightly dimmed with strong minty breeze, which followed after a down-pour.   I love the air and ambience, very refreshing and empty on the road.   No ear plug with music, except the sound of my own feet.   For the 2nd time, I ran 8.5km (exceeding 5 miles) after having rested the last couple of days writing my self-helped "health book".    Reasons for wanting my own  health book is mainly because of fear, that Singapore will not stop changing its landscape and I may not have the space nor luxury to run, if our country aim for 10 mil populations.  Nobody is going to guess how future Pandemic is going to behave.   When it happens, I have a nutritional books to fall back on, as an alternative to survive, if I no longer run when we began to age.

Hope to finish my reference book before Holy Night,  so that I can take a soulful break, and seek some Melancholy feelings about the humble achievement I made in 2021....

notes-compile.jpg

Back to writing again, when the sun rises..

Edited by Black Kitten

• 2 weeks later...

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 80)

I am no longer running regularly on 5.5km.  Once I decided to run again,  I will do a 8 to 8.5km run and thereafter allow some recovery phase, for a couple of days.  before the next run.   Over the last 2 weeks, I think I ran 8.5km 4 times already and felt quite adjusted to the new regime despite having to run two hills, on the final 1.5km track, which is a stretch on my leg muscles.   Though I have miles of straight path to run,  I am not planning to over stretch myself to achieve 10km.  I am no more snacking in between 2 meals a day, except to drink plain oat or lemon water.  There is nothing much I can buy from NTUC or Giant to give me something to snack on, not even fruit.  Every snack will label with high carb, high sugar...etc.  The only fruit (or vegetable?) is avocado, in my list of occassional splurge.  

I am trying to break the heredity symptom of hypertension, to give myself more confident in life.  The ultimate mission, is to lower my trigycerides, to below 100 mark.  Writing notes also help to distract myself from thinking about food.  Two weeks and I managed to finish 1/4 of my assignments,  still got more ground to cover before I reached 50% of the book by end of next week...I hope.....busy busy again.

project

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 81)

Another 8.5km treat for me today.  I had wanted to do the run yesterday, and the day before that, but been busy writing notes I fell into a nap and thus try to make up for the run today.    Looking back, it has been an eventful years since the day I put on my fresh new running shoes, and I have learned a lot throughout the 3 miles journey.   Many encourantances, both sweet and sour. Ultimately I am doing it for me, to prove that not all doctors know everything.  I am glad that I have not taken statin forced on me by a doctor (see Part 1), and let my body heals naturally under years of running.  

Managed to write 80 topics on health improvement guide and completed half of my 400 pages note book.  Another 20 more topics to go before I stopped writing.

Going foward,  I may stop running again and start pursuing a new chapter in life - to return to office as soon as possible in year 2022.

Thanks for following me throughout the very long journey.

healthbook

• 2 weeks later...

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 82)

My first 8km run this week.  The art of running up a hill, is to run light, tip-toe momentum.  I never felt extremely exhausted and still have some legs energy to complete my 8km run.    Years of stress since 2015, my hair has thinned substantial.  After attempting 8km run and less sugary food and with regular lemon drinks,  my hair has stopped dropping. At least I didn't notice much hair when I swept the floor everyday.  My guess is, my BP has lowered as sign of low stress and thus contributed to less hair loss?  It is something new I am keeping a close watch on.

Anyway, my mission to write a self-help health book has finally completed, on time.    I gave it a nice cover look, and it will serve as permanent guide on what to stock up in my pantry.

book.jpg

BP reading (right and left arms)

right.jpgleft.jpg

There was nothing much to do today, and I took a stroll in orchard Road, to feel the Christmasy vibe.  Somehow, I still don't feel like I have fit into the rat race in this society.  The foods were nice, but I restrained myself even though I saw people enjoying their life tremendously, but  It is the people around me, that caused me to feel stressed out. 

I heard a father calling out their children, who used shopping areas as their playground.  "Noah!, Noah!! where are you?  Noah...come to daddy...Noah....don't go too far....Noah, Noah, where is Jacob,  Jacob!! go to mommy...Noah! Noah!!".   The daddy wanted the world to know that his family is very christian-centric  by shouting his son's name all over the places, in a supposed quiet time for me.  

Then, I went to another shop.  "Daddy!!,, Daddy..what you plan to buy....Daddy..,,,Daddy!!!.  I turned around and saw a middle-aged woman, pushing an empty trolley and calling her husband "Daddy!! Daddy!!!" here and there.....

Another young girl, probably just passed her teenage years,  wearing extremely tight and sexy short jean and for some reason, decided the need to scan me up and down with her condescending look and then grab her boyfriend's arms closer to get him to initiate a kiss on her, right in my view....

In the Food court, the markings drawn by social distancing ambassador were rediculous it completely voids logic of social distancing.   A large table can only allow one person, a small table can allow at least 2 persons and most tables were completely forbidden to use even though those were situated far apart.   In short, seats became extremely limited at peak hour.   A cyclist, immediately plunged his ass in two seaters table, an elderly man wanted to share the table with him, but was being chased away.  Quarrel started, crowds built up just to watch.   I immediately finished up my Oolong Tea and asked the elderly man if he wanted my seat, but he refused and felt the need to verbally fight on with the cyclist.....

I started out innocently, to prove my doctor's wrong.  As years gone by, I took a different perspective on why I run. It has became  a spiritual retreat for me.  I run for space, I run peacefully.  I run alone, as an escape from mental stress and....for freedom!

Edited by Black Kitten

• 5 months later...
On 2/3/2021 at 12:59 PM, Black Kitten said:

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 28)

Anyone whose systolic level in between 90 and 100 (without medication), I am completely envious.

On 2/3/2021 at 12:42 PM, Black Kitten said:

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 27)

An ideal pressure reading of 90/60 has always seemed like a far-fetched endevaour for me. 

A short story about “3 MILES JOURNEY (Part 83)

This is my first post for 2022.  I have not been writing this year.  Jogging has been irregular for me. First 2 months of the year was a complete non-activitiy due to recovery mode.  I am no longer running at 5.5km but  8km instead.  If weather gets too hot, my target is still 6.5km minimum.  I did an opening run on 1st day of 2022, under heavy rain for no particular reason, but to allow some acidity for my skin and hair.  I thought I was alone, but there were about 3 to 4 gurkhas running in the rain too, and we stare at each other fully soaked.   

Last year, I remember having a wish (Part 27 & 28) above.  As I wrote today, I have fulfilled those wishes.  My BP readings taken randomly this year:-.

IMG-20220119-182924.jpg

IMG-20220215-153848.jpg

IMG-20220601-214931.jpg

IMG-20220412-153446.jpg

IMG-20220523-174644.jpg

I believe my hyper-tension has improved and even dissappeared. Historically, I could never have achieved such sterlin results, not in my teens, not in my 20s and definitely not in my 30s.  My past records in those years is pretty high, 140s/80s or slightly above.  Running at 5.5km daily last years, has brought my BP to manageable level,  running 8km this year has lowered them even further.  I am less likely to suffer from fright mode, I felt calm dealing with outside world. When people screamed, the shock mode is not there,  I screamed back...lol.    Just a little update here. 

Edited by Black Kitten

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.