Male HQ

Exercise in the morning with empty stomach good or bad

Guest Skinny

Guest Skinny

Hi guys,

I am wondering if running or workout with an empty stomach first thing in the morning is good or bad? I am skinny but with a belly so I want to get rid of it. My friends told me to run first thing in the morning as it will burn your fats. But I read that it will burn your muscle instead. So want to check if anyone has any info or knowledge about this?

Yes it is good to amp up ur metabolism in the morning to increase fat burning rate throughout the day. 

Yes too that it can 'eat' ur muscle tissue as well. Thus, make sure u take enough protein to ensure muscle growth. 

And strength training has been proven to be more effective in burning fats than cardio. 

• 3 months later...

I also go to the gym to work out early in the morning, before breakfast. 

I don't know if it is good or bad,  but from the point of view of covid-17 I like to find the gym as empty as possible. 

I have not found any problem with exercising on an empty stomach.  I care to eat a good breakfast thereafter.

If I were skinny with a belly,  I would not run much but would concentrate on weight lifting, to stimulate the skeletal muscles to grow or at least maintain their size. 

The biggest effect in losing weight is not in exercising to "burn calories" but in eating healthier to ingest fewer calories. 

On 8/30/2020 at 12:09 PM, Guest Skinny said:

Hi guys,

I am wondering if running or workout with an empty stomach first thing in the morning is good or bad? I am skinny but with a belly so I want to get rid of it. My friends told me to run first thing in the morning as it will burn your fats. But I read that it will burn your muscle instead. So want to check if anyone has any info or knowledge about this?

This is what most will call a "fasted workout", and it is good depending what outcome you are looking for.

If you want to burn fat, it is the best way. Because the stomach is empty, the stores of glycogen are also lower.

Which means once they are depleted entirely, the body will start to use fat for energy. This is how it is burned.

It is good to incorporate fasted workouts into your exercise regime, along with weight training and other exercises.

The reality is that there is no spot-reduce, or exercises to reduce fat in just one specific area.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

If I go to the gym or practice yoga, I will take a light breakfast beforehand. 
If I do my swim, I will take my breakfast after that. 
As for running, it depends on my run distance. Anything longer than 10km, I will have a very light breakfast 1.5-2hrs before my run. Otherwise, I’m good w empty stomach. 
So as you can see, there is no fix pattern. It all depends on what exercise that I am doing and what time do I exercise. 

• 2 weeks later...

Last time i eat 3 meals a day and get fat very fast. Nowadays i only eat 2 meals a day without breakfast and only lunch and dinner and i able to maintain my weight easier. Maybe this way is called intermittent fasting since dinner to next day lunch is a very long duration. As for muscle mass will burn off in this condition or not i dont think it got any effect on me from my own experience. Last time i join dragonboating the captain always told our group if you dont run past 10km in a run, you dont have to worry about muscle burning. I normally run around 5 to 10 km per run.

On 1/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, Steve5380 said:

I also go to the gym to work out early in the morning, before breakfast. 

I don't know if it is good or bad,  but from the point of view of covid-17 I like to find the gym as empty as possible. 

I have not found any problem with exercising on an empty stomach.  I care to eat a good breakfast thereafter.

If I were skinny with a belly,  I would not run much but would concentrate on weight lifting, to stimulate the skeletal muscles to grow or at least maintain their size. 

The biggest effect in losing weight is not in exercising to "burn calories" but in eating healthier to ingest fewer calories. 

I personally like morning gyms too. Few people come in early to start gymming. And for me it makes my day worthwhile to spend (I can do other stuff in the afternoon and evening if it’s a weekend.)

Though I must say that during my stay in Japan, the gym is most crowded in the morning and empty from the afternoon. The Japanese really know how to maximise their off days.

9 hours ago, repressednerd said:

Though I must say that during my stay in Japan, the gym is most crowded in the morning and empty from the afternoon. The Japanese really know how to maximise their off days.

It is the same here in Houston. where many people go to the gym very early in the morning before going to work.  Around 8AM they have left, before the morning crowd arrives, giving a dip in the attendance.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.