Male HQ

What do you consider before joining a gym?

morg

helu!

So my friend wants to join a gym, I recommended virgin active (mine) but he's also considering other factors like the price. But I feel the price is justifiable given the amenities and quality of the gym.

i signed up because right now there's a promo going on, but he says overtime it may not be worth but i think its quite a good place and the environment is quite welcoming. i can see myself feeling encouraged to come.

What is everyone's pov on this?

It’s based on personal preference on amenities and convenience I suppose. 

If the gym is near his house, it would be the best as you’ll most likely not be too lazy to head to the gym. Similarly if it’s near office/work, if he plans to gym during lunch break (as some people have Long lunch breaks) or after work. 

Most gym have equipment needed for a good workout unless you are a bodybuilder or serious gym goer that seeks specific machine or equipment to target a specific area for workout. 

Amenities would be like steamroom, sauna, pool, etc. Which most likely be offered in high ended gyms. Does he utilize that? If not he is paying for amenities that he won’t be using. 

For me personally would be the location of the gym. :)

Certain gyms deduct monthly fees whereas some gyms require a lump sum payment regardless of how long the membership contract is. 

34 minutes ago, morg said:

Thats true. Well for me cuz VA is having a promo now, so its worth it. I think it also depends on the crowdedness during the times i want to go.

Look for the machines you want to use and will need to use. The rest as follow. Also if you think you like that place then follow your instinct. 

Is there a need to join at the first place? Maybe try fitness corner first. Start your training plan see if by running in the park n use the fitnes corner can help u achieved your goal...if it does save money. Buy weights..home workout if not convenience..try active sg..if dont like research few gyms for their promo pattern. Get the best. So far anytime fitness many locations...even for VA virgin active..if u work shift anytime fitness suits u...if u work office hour active sg or VA/FF. It would be quite a waste of money if u join then for some reason u no time...OT...tired...

So be wise save money and do research plus do your own trial see if it works ;)

• 1 year later...

Do consider finding a gym buddy, too. A true gym buddy helps a lot in not just spotting your difficult reps but can help push you beyond your comfort zones, help you lift more than you can do alone. Maximizing your full potential. Also encourage each other and motivate each other... even you you both have different goals or different body types or in different stages of bodybuilding (ie: noobs, intermediate, champion, etc, etc)

Good luck everyone!

Happy 2022!

• 2 months later...

I go to this gym for the following reasons and maybe these will help you decide
1. A lot are open 24H so you can come on any convenient time and also at times when gym is not packed

2. Location is quite near to where I live so easy to go here. Just walking distance

3. Machines/Equipment available can also be a good factor to consider. 

4. Allows you to use the gym overseas when you are travelling

• 2 weeks later...