Male HQ

After a futile 4-month job hunt, I have decided to return to school at 42

Guest Guest

Guest Guest FT can’t make it

I observed some FT can’t make it. Can’t speak proper English can’t write minutes can’t blend into our culture can’t produce results. I rather employ local. These FT should only do things that local not doing. Then it’s fair and square. 

Guest lah lmao

Sure lah. If u wan write up in Singlish . lmao.

How FT can do.

Him no go training start Primary 1. Later got job, but how handle all Singapore abbreviation, when do write up. CPF, ECP. cannot tahan. No clue boss talking He try very garang, but helas, he end up hot pot. Then many colleague local so ji siao, all sabo him.

Then come together more, other always whack FT. Walao, never learn bad Hokkien word.

Then boss always repeat "Ah" here "Ah" there. Ah Beng, Ah Huay, Ah Chek, sure FT will think "Ah" stand for  "ahem", he catch no ball.

Ayah after all, eyes reddy tired. no aksi borak any longer. After many cham siang, will just give up. his fever alreddy high. In end FT only vomit blood.

Alamak, reddy dinner now. Need rush go home, later got hantu Pontianak on street today many hungry ghost.

Guest Experienced.

Through my years of working in different MNC.  I noticed it is the Local that impart knowledge to foreigners.  Then these foreigners quitted and used the knowledge they learned, from the local, to apply for jobs and compete with the local.  Here is how it went.

1)  These foreigners came into Singapore, fresh, unable to cope in the multicultural Singapore.

2)  They forced themself to blend in, but with pampered mentality that they cannot eat these, cannot do that due to their lifestyle and culture

3)  Then the local tried to blend into the foreigner, in the hope to make the new comers felt at home.

4)  Went it come to work, the foreigners do not understand the local requirements, laws, governance..etc.  Their countries are flexible but not in Singapore.

5)  Then the local taught them many things the foreigners are required to know to help him/her get a head-start in the working world here

6). Then after  a year, the foreigners felt more comfortable and confident to look for next higher pay job and quitted.

7)  In their next job, they interviewed their own kind and bring them into Singapore, especially after these foreigners were offered "PR" status and eventually the govt

send them an invitation to become Citizen

'8) These foreigners then bring in their wife, and then a whole village of families to find opportunity here and taught them how to exploit the system.

The tumor spread from one to another and today, this country is incurable that the Labour Union, the ministers and MP have to admit that the system needs to be tweaked to favour the local and build a Singapore core.  Unfortunately,  those were mere rhetorics.  While many countries noticed the danger of saturation of foreigners in their work place, Singapore still welcomed them at the expense of the local talent.

The above is my personal experiences for the last decade.

3 hours ago, singalion said:

Don't be so negative. The proper upskilling is good. But you must be motivated. If you can't see blood then don't do a Dr.

If computers and all that stuff are an annoyance to you , then don't go into that area.

But just to rebut on your post. Take a look at Germany, aging population, because of language requirements not getting sufficient employees from overseas.

The same will happen to Singapore soon. The Employers won't have any choice but to hire "older" or greying work force to do the jobs.

If you are smart, you switch to one of the areas in demand.

Already many schools offer degrees in these areas, even here in Singapore.

If you have an automation project and need someone to handle. Wouldn't you hire the 45y guy or even 55y guy who was trained in exactly the area you require or would you hire someone from school who never experiences work life? The future of your company relies on him.

I bet the company will go for the older one (who even displayed a motivation to take up some new and challenging).

Just stop being so negative.

The problem is many job seekers think they can can go on in the "sunset" jobs and oppose to making a career switch.

I m sure some halfway computer savvy can go into such areas. It is a matter of motivation.

A friend of mine went from Florist job into app design and cloud. After working for a company, he opened his own set up and is very successful. Now, he even faces a shortage of local experts in that area to grow his set up.

I personally think the Singaporean government should look much more into supporting such mid term career switches in these upcoming industries. Do a loan scheme, take away financial burdens and set a late repayment. I don't think the local universities will create sufficient experts in these areas for the future.

Very good insights into tbat Singapore government should support mid career switches. 

But I beg to differ that my post is negative, that's just what it is in reality. The job market is never a level playing field, even with the right skills and experiences. 

33 minutes ago, Guest Experienced. said:

Through my years of working in different MNC.  I noticed it is the Local that impart knowledge to foreigners.  Then these foreigners quitted and used the knowledge they learned, from the local, to apply for jobs and compete with the local.  Here is how it went.

1)  These foreigners came into Singapore, fresh, unable to cope in the multicultural Singapore.

2)  They forced themself to blend in, but with pampered mentality that they cannot eat these, cannot do that due to their lifestyle and culture

3)  Then the local tried to blend into the foreigner, in the hope to make the new comers felt at home.

4)  Went it come to work, the foreigners do not understand the local requirements, laws, governance..etc.  Their countries are flexible but not in Singapore.

5)  Then the local taught them many things the foreigners are required to know to help him/her get a head-start in the working world here

6). Then after  a year, the foreigners felt more comfortable and confident to look for next higher pay job and quitted.

7)  In their next job, they interviewed their own kind and bring them into Singapore, especially after these foreigners were offered "PR" status and eventually the govt

send them an invitation to become Citizen

'8) These foreigners then bring in their wife, and then a whole village of families to find opportunity here and taught them how to exploit the system.

The tumor spread from one to another and today, this country is incurable that the Labour Union, the ministers and MP have to admit that the system needs to be tweaked to favour the local and build a Singapore core.  Unfortunately,  those were mere rhetorics.  While many countries noticed the danger of saturation of foreigners in their work place, Singapore still welcomed them at the expense of the local talent.

The above is my personal experiences for the last decade.

Oh wow...this is soooo true to my own experience!!!

Point 1-5 were what I encountered but this foreigner did not quit, he teamed up with my manager who was from the same country as him and kicked me out so that he can stay on permanently since there was only 1 headcount....and he now enjoy life here...barely working and just let the locals do all the works.

Sad but true...

Guest topic switch

The topic seemed to me a local being 42 years and intending to sell his HDB to finance a MBA for better job opportunities.

Out of a sudden it switches to discussing foreigners working in Singapore.

Are you at the right topic here??

10 minutes ago, Guest topic switch said:

The topic seemed to me a local being 42 years and intending to sell his HDB to finance a MBA for better job opportunities.

Why is it the wrong topic? Did it occur to you why he would need to sell off his HDB for better job opportunities, if the job opportunities are going to be aplenty here? Or are you trying to be deliberately blind to that question? 

On 9/15/2020 at 4:56 PM, Guest guest said:

Guys at this age who is single indeed can meant 2 things, either divorced or gay. Hardly can find a guy who is really straight and yet still single at this age?! Haha. Even a guy who is ugly or earning is not high also can and would get married.

Not true. I have at least 2 males friends. 1 is a former SQ cabin crew. Been in & out of several relationship. He is 45 now. Still single, looking great and good shape. Now setting up a company as boss. 

Another also 45, he is into horticulture. Every weekend and ph. He will spend his time at cck farm. No intention to settle down. He is committed his life to plants. 

Guest Passerby

He already faces challenges in finding a job, even after he adjusts his expectations. It will be harder for him to find a suitable one after he completes his MBA, not to talk about the money he will be spending on the course at the expense of selling his flat. I agree with many here that it is an unwise decision. 

However I can understand his plight, as one of my friend has been jobless much longer than him. My friend is highly qualified academically, held high posts with good salaries. Similarly he is not able to find a decent job despite he lowered his expectations amid this pandemic. The irony is he was interviewed by many foreigner hiring managers, and disappointed after many job rejections which he knows he fit the roles. 

Many companies are now managing costs and not paying for top executives, while others do not hire “over-qualified” candidates. This is the situation where jobless PMETs are stranded in. 

Looking at the job portals, many jobs available are entry level positions. 

Who did that guy vote for?

You guys know all these problems did not start overnight, right?

This entire issue about local jobs going to foreigners had been highlighted as far back as almost a decade ago, when we had our 2011 general election. There were already people going to Hong Lim Park chanting slogans such as "Jobs for FT, NS for Singaporeans", and that was almost 9 years ago when that guy in the picture was a sweet young thing of 33 years old, an age where many of the current BW members might be right now. 

But yet, 9 years down the road, he is selling his HDB to get his MBA because, even after 9 years, jobs are still meant for FTs and NS is still meant for Singaporeans. What makes you think that you guys will not be in the same shoes as him 5 to 10 years down the road? 

So, who did he vote for in 2011, 2015, and 2020? Who did YOU vote for in 2011, 2015 and 2020?

The decision you make at each election will impact you for years, and there are only so many elections you can go for in your life.

"Singaporeans got the government that they deserve. I don't want to hear anymore complaints". 

MBA is for those who do not have biz degree graduate to upgrade their qualification to biz related qualification. If one has already a biz degree, it would add little value to pursue MBA.

Not all MBA are the same because they are too many MBA courses around. Companies generally prefers MBA from reputable institution. 

At age of 42, I would go for courses to learn a skill that enable me to earn adequate income to enjoy my SIMPLE life. 

There was once I went to China,  I heard people said the future of this world belong to those born after 2000s.

I was enlightened by it and realized that it time to look at life differently.

One of the best thing of being Single is asset light in terms of family commitment.

Hence, I think if this guy earned quite a bit and saved quite a bit in the past, he would be financially free by now.

His Flat could be rented out to generate Passive Income.

These days People is into FIRE concept. FIRE concept is very achievable for Single. 

With Covid 19 etc, I was always mentally prepared for being retrenched as no Job security to talk about these days.

If that day ever come, I would warmly welcome it and received the retrenchment benefit and won't be seeking the same job.

Instead I would look for skillfuture courses for doing some no-brainer job to earn some monthly expenses.

A job that I don't have to do follow up etc after  I finished the day. It would be a fresh day of work  the following day without any baggage from yesterday.

Also a Job does not limit my annual leave to 14 days to allow me to experience life at any times which means part-time basis only. 

Jack Ma's quotes:

Life is so short, so beautiful. Don't be so serious about work Enjoy the lives.

Sooner or Later, You will regret it if you spend all your time at work

Guest Stiff Jobs
1 hour ago, Guest Passerby said:

He already faces challenges in finding a job, even after he adjusts his expectations. It will be harder for him to find a suitable one after he completes his MBA, not to talk about the money he will be spending on the course at the expense of selling his flat. I agree with many here that it is an unwise decision. 

However I can understand his plight, as one of my friend has been jobless much longer than him. My friend is highly qualified academically, held high posts with good salaries. Similarly he is not able to find a decent job despite he lowered his expectations amid this pandemic. The irony is he was interviewed by many foreigner hiring managers, and disappointed after many job rejections which he knows he fit the roles. 

Many companies are now managing costs and not paying for top executives, while others do not hire “over-qualified” candidates. This is the situation where jobless PMETs are stranded in. 

Looking at the job portals, many jobs available are entry level positions. 

He was unable to secure any interviews over 4 months given his work experiences. 

What Passerby said is true. The job market and hiring expectations will no longer be the same post COVID.

I am in my mid 40s. Some day, i will end up like James.

49 minutes ago, Guest Stiff Jobs said:

He was unable to secure any interviews over 4 months given his work experiences. 

What Passerby said is true. The job market and hiring expectations will no longer be the same post COVID.

I am in my mid 40s. Some day, i will end up like James.

James the buttler or James the driver?

Guest James the xxx
42 minutes ago, Guest James said:

James the buttler or James the driver?

A lot of James now

james the grab food delivery guy

james the receptionist

james the cab driver 

James the swabber 

james the cleaner 

James will end up like that when he is reaching 50s. Sad in Singapore that 40s you are old 50s you are expired. No one can help you except you yourself. Self help the sooner the better. It’s a dead end for older people here unless you are rich!! Maybe it’s a blessing if you are single in the current situation! 

4 minutes ago, mate69 said:

best to be single esp in singapore

u manage yr own finances and not have anyone leech on u in any way

You do know that taking care of elderly parents, are the "responsibility"  betowed upon the gay son in the family of straight siblings. Right?  The medical expenses can be so huge that sometime, selling house might become the only option.

Guest Switch on your brain
14 hours ago, Guest topic switch said:

The 42yo is going to do his MBA, eventually he graduated at 47, house sold, parents to look after.  Then he saw an advertisement looking for candidate with MBA and a host of experiences, local and overseas but...towards the last criteria, the advertiser specifically mentioned "Must be able to speak HINDI".   Your MBA and all your effort and money wasted over the past 5 years, became Lan-Pa-Pa-Lan.  

13 minutes ago, Guest Switch on your brain said:

The 42yo is going to do his MBA, eventually he graduated at 47, house sold, parents to look after.  Then he saw an advertisement looking for candidate with MBA and a host of experiences, local and overseas but...towards the last criteria, the advertiser specifically mentioned "Must be able to speak HINDI".   Your MBA and all your effort and money wasted over the past 5 years, became Lan-Pa-Pa-Lan.  

He still can sell his parents house. 
Joke aside. 
he needs to make use of this time to enlarge his network and get more connections. You never know who will and can help you at the end of the tunnel. Don’t give up hope. Be kind be nice be positive. People will see the good side of you and introduce you to potential employers. If that doesn’t materialise, at least you are a better man after the pandemic. Look at the bright side, it’s not the end of the world. Cheers! 

Guest The Apocalypse
29 minutes ago, Guest LPPL said:

he needs to make use of this time to enlarge his network and get more connections. Y

All his netowrk and connections, probably faced the same situation like him.  Too many imported monsters, turning everyone into zombies.  The safest bet is to tighten the tap and groom the local and give them hope that all is not lost. 

1 hour ago, Guest The Apocalypse said:

All his netowrk and connections, probably faced the same situation like him.  Too many imported monsters, turning everyone into zombies.  The safest bet is to tighten the tap and groom the local and give them hope that all is not lost. 

Here in Singapore, his network and connections are all the foreigners, and those network would much rather give those jobs to their friends and relatives back from home, rather than to him. Think about it, and tell me if what I said is true or false. This problem has been brewing for decades now. And if the locals has anything bad to say about it, they get labeled to be "xenophobic" even by some local traitors here on BW itself, and even the moderators here are singing to the same tune. 

Guest Don’t give up hope
39 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Here in Singapore, his network and connections are all the foreigners, and those network would much rather give those jobs to their friends and relatives back from home, rather than to him. Think about it, and tell me if what I said is true or false. This problem has been brewing for decades now. And if the locals has anything bad to say about it, they get labeled to be "xenophobic" even by some local traitors here on BW itself, and even the moderators here are singing to the same tune. 

Don’t give up hope 

走出去就有路

make new friends make new connections 

it’s tough but no pain no gain 

Late better than never try 

Guest Passerby

@FIRE2020.... I have to raise both my hands and agree with what you said.

Yes that is my plan too for the years ahead, to find a really simple job, possibly part time to earn monthly adequate allowance. Something less or no stress, and take things at a slower pace. Thank god I don’t have to bring food home to the dining table, and I am debt free. 

Thats what I can console myself how I could live life after this pandemic strikes. 

9 hours ago, FIRE2020 said:

MBA is for those who do not have biz degree graduate to upgrade their qualification to biz related qualification. If one has already a biz degree, it would add little value to pursue MBA.

Not all MBA are the same because they are too many MBA courses around. Companies generally prefers MBA from reputable institution. 

At age of 42, I would go for courses to learn a skill that enable me to earn adequate income to enjoy my SIMPLE life. 

There was once I went to China,  I heard people said the future of this world belong to those born after 2000s.

I was enlightened by it and realized that it time to look at life differently.

One of the best thing of being Single is asset light in terms of family commitment.

Hence, I think if this guy earned quite a bit and saved quite a bit in the past, he would be financially free by now.

His Flat could be rented out to generate Passive Income.

These days People is into FIRE concept. FIRE concept is very achievable for Single. 

With Covid 19 etc, I was always mentally prepared for being retrenched as no Job security to talk about these days.

If that day ever come, I would warmly welcome it and received the retrenchment benefit and won't be seeking the same job.

Instead I would look for skillfuture courses for doing some no-brainer job to earn some monthly expenses.

A job that I don't have to do follow up etc after  I finished the day. It would be a fresh day of work  the following day without any baggage from yesterday.

Also a Job does not limit my annual leave to 14 days to allow me to experience life at any times which means part-time basis only. 

Jack Ma's quotes:

Life is so short, so beautiful. Don't be so serious about work Enjoy the lives.

Sooner or Later, You will regret it if you spend all your time at work

What is FIRE concept?

1 hour ago, Guest Passerby said:

Yes that is my plan too for the years ahead, to find a really simple job, possibly part time to earn monthly adequate allowance. Something less or no stress, and take things at a slower pace. Thank god I don’t have to bring food home to the dining table, and I am debt free. 

Thats what I can console myself how I could live life after this pandemic strikes. 

Once you reached a certain age. Have seen enough of the world, fooled by the blinded leaders, witnessed plenty of good-for nothing cronism around you, made to feel lost of loyalty, inequality, discrimination, and then realised you are actually no difference from becoming a 3rd class citizens in your own country. You will want to throw in your towel and give up on being "one for all, and all for one" united mentality which often preached into your head to hold you captive and guilty of not doing enough for the society  You tell yourself. "fuck it.  I am going to live my life, my way, from now onwards".  Then you started to look for a simple job, short hour, no stress, just draw enough to put food on the table, switched off all fucking news. Tell your boss straight in his face, with that kind of cheap salary, you won't accept Overtime work, no weekend work, no after office work. no deadline assignment, and 5pm sharp you will pack and leave and don't call after office hours.Your smart phone is switch off.  All these make known to him.   Then go shopping, find a cheap wood from ikea and painted the word "stress free zone".  Mount it on the the wall where you can see it clearly the moment you stepped into the house.  Whip up a simple healthy meal, make yourself a hot coco and read a good book.  Not difficult to take control right?  You mom give birth to you so that you can live happily forever, not a slave of some stupid system. Otherwise, it is fruitless for her to give birth to you.  Right?  So, make yourself happy and enjoy your limited edition life.  Not difficult right?

43 minutes ago, Guest Right? said:

Once you reached a certain age. Have seen enough of the world, fooled by the blinded leaders, witnessed plenty of good-for nothing cronism around you, made to feel lost of loyalty, inequality, discrimination, and then realised you are actually no difference from becoming a 3rd class citizens in your own country. You will want to throw in your towel and give up on being "one for all, and all for one" united mentality which often preached into your head to hold you captive and guilty of not doing enough for the society  You tell yourself. "fuck it.  I am going to live my life, my way, from now onwards".  Then you started to look for a simple job, short hour, no stress, just draw enough to put food on the table, switched off all fucking news. Tell your boss straight in his face, with that kind of cheap salary, you won't accept Overtime work, no weekend work, no after office work. no deadline assignment, and 5pm sharp you will pack and leave and don't call after office hours.Your smart phone is switch off.  All these make known to him.   Then go shopping, find a cheap wood from ikea and painted the word "stress free zone".  Mount it on the the wall where you can see it clearly the moment you stepped into the house.  Whip up a simple healthy meal, make yourself a hot coco and read a good book.  Not difficult to take control right?  You mom give birth to you so that you can live happily forever, not a slave of some stupid system. Otherwise, it is fruitless for her to give birth to you.  Right?  So, make yourself happy and enjoy your limited edition life.  Not difficult right?

The most crucial question.

Who did he vote for?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest hate instigator
12 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Who did that guy vote for?

You guys know all these problems did not start overnight, right?

This entire issue about local jobs going to foreigners had been highlighted as far back as almost a decade ago, when we had our 2011 general election. There were already people going to Hong Lim Park chanting slogans such as "Jobs for FT, NS for Singaporeans", and that was almost 9 years ago when that guy in the picture was a sweet young thing of 33 years old, an age where many of the current BW members might be right now. 

But yet, 9 years down the road, he is selling his HDB to get his MBA because, even after 9 years, jobs are still meant for FTs and NS is still meant for Singaporeans. What makes you think that you guys will not be in the same shoes as him 5 to 10 years down the road? 

So, who did he vote for in 2011, 2015, and 2020? Who did YOU vote for in 2011, 2015 and 2020?

The decision you make at each election will impact you for years, and there are only so many elections you can go for in your life.

"Singaporeans got the government that they deserve. I don't want to hear anymore complaints". 

Some guys write here as if the Unemployment Rate in Singapore has reached levels seen in Burkina Faso in Africa ( in that country currently at 77%).

Please don't overdo.

It is clearly an untruth to post here (new or existing) jobs in Singapore are meant for Foreigners only.

If this had been the case I just wonder what all these local people do who tell me they go to work? Or do they just leave their house to go to work

to pretend to their relatives they still have a job but in real they don't work?

And nobody needs to paint the consequences of a a severe crisis such as Covid-19/ Coronovirus as the end of the world. There had been other crisis in Singapore and the world. Singapore will need some time to adjust and come back to GDP growth and receiving new investments into the country.

Yes, the unemployment rate will increase in the coming months or by mid of next year, when government support will end. But the reason is the collapse of many businesses due to the Covid-19 crisis and nothing else (and for sure the result of any unemployment is not for a Foreigner having taken away the job of the local).

If the economy is back on track, the higher amount of unemployed will be absorbed by the market.

I only see problems for the very lowly skilled Singaporeans, but this trend has been ongoing, since Singapore is not much longer involved in low skilled manufacturing or product assembly.

Just to get the numbers right again:

Employment Pass Holders in end of 2019 amounted to 193,700  by end of June 2020: 189,700

S-Pass Holders in the end of 2019 amounted to 200,000 by end of June 2020: 188,800

There are around 30,000 work pass holders (who are not foreign domestic workers =maids or construction, shipping etc workers.) and work in business related industries.

The rest of Foreigners working in Singapore are maids and constructions workers or manual workers in other industries (factory, cleaning, marine, refinery, street building, tree pruning...). Yes, the number of these manual Foreign workers is on the higher end.

But, tell me whether any single Singaporean wants to take up the jobs of those manual Foreign workers (Bangla and Indians)?

Please stop drawing a picture as if Foreigners under EP and S-Pass pose a serious threat to Singaporeans in the workforce.

It is in fact is exactly the other way:

Without those EP Pass Holders, many foreign owned MNCs and SMEs would not have set up in Singapore and Singapore would not have creating sufficient jobs for the locals as the local grown industries would not be able to absorb all Singaporean Employees.

It is natural for any Foreign owned company to bring their own guys (Foreigners) to Singapore to oversee, direct and manage the local set up of their subsidiaries in Singapore.

Even Singapore companies who invested in overseas countries have posted Singaporeans to their overseas units to manage these companies at the top tier level.

After 30 years when Singapore (a place with no resources) built up a booming business center by attracting Foreign FDI (Direct Investment), who created plenty of jobs here for Singaporeans as one of the most respected sucess stories in the world, you hit out at these Foreign Investors?

It is easy for most to look at other countries and opportunities if they sense they are no longer welcome here.

(But you would know the result if Foreign companies will shy on Singapore...)

Stop drawing these false pictures and crying foul as if the Singaporean Employees are all the manual workers cleaning void decks and constructing HDBs and industrial buildings and not the foreigners and all Foreigners sitting on the medium to top jobs and punching the labour whip out to the Singaporeans in the lower ships hull.

You are trying to create a myth which holds no value to the truth of the workforce situation in Singapore.

You can stop with your Foreigner bashing and trying to create enmity between Singaporeans and Foreigners.

You are clearly barking up the wrong tree.

Please all Singaporeans who lost your job to any Foreigner come forward and step out of the bush!

Where are you???

The most disappointing here is, even after more than 10 hours there is not anyone criticizing on above post.

9 minutes ago, Guest hate instigator said:

Some guys write here as if the Unemployment Rate in Singapore has reached levels seen in Burkina Faso in Africa ( in that country currently at 77%).

Please don't overdo.

It is clearly an untruth to post here (new or existing) jobs in Singapore are meant for Foreigners only.

If this had been the case I just wonder what all these local people do who tell me they go to work? Or do they just leave their house to go to work

to pretend to their relatives they still have a job but in real they don't work?

And nobody needs to paint the consequences of a a severe crisis such as Covid-19/ Coronovirus as the end of the world. There had been other crisis in Singapore and the world. Singapore will need some time to adjust and come back to GDP growth and receiving new investments into the country.

Yes, the unemployment rate will increase in the coming months or by mid of next year, when government support will end. But the reason is the collapse of many businesses due to the Covid-19 crisis and nothing else (and for sure the result of any unemployment is not for a Foreigner having taken away the job of the local).

If the economy is back on track, the higher amount of unemployed will be absorbed by the market.

I only see problems for the very lowly skilled Singaporeans, but this trend has been ongoing, since Singapore is not much longer involved in low skilled manufacturing or product assembly.

Just to get the numbers right again:

Employment Pass Holders in end of 2019 amounted to 193,700  by end of June 2020: 189,700

S-Pass Holders in the end of 2019 amounted to 200,000 by end of June 2020: 188,800

There are around 30,000 work pass holders (who are not foreign domestic workers =maids or construction, shipping etc workers.) and work in business related industries.

The rest of Foreigners working in Singapore are maids and constructions workers or manual workers in other industries (factory, cleaning, marine, refinery, street building, tree pruning...). Yes, the number of these manual Foreign workers is on the higher end.

But, tell me whether any single Singaporean wants to take up the jobs of those manual Foreign workers (Bangla and Indians)?

Please stop drawing a picture as if Foreigners under EP and S-Pass pose a serious threat to Singaporeans in the workforce.

It is in fact is exactly the other way:

Without those EP Pass Holders, many foreign owned MNCs and SMEs would not have set up in Singapore and Singapore would not have creating sufficient jobs for the locals as the local grown industries would not be able to absorb all Singaporean Employees.

It is natural for any Foreign owned company to bring their own guys (Foreigners) to Singapore to oversee, direct and manage the local set up of their subsidiaries in Singapore.

Even Singapore companies who invested in overseas countries have posted Singaporeans to their overseas units to manage these companies at the top tier level.

After 30 years when Singapore (a place with no resources) built up a booming business center by attracting Foreign FDI (Direct Investment), who created plenty of jobs here for Singaporeans as one of the most respected sucess stories in the world, you hit out at these Foreign Investors?

It is easy for most to look at other countries and opportunities if they sense they are no longer welcome here.

(But you would know the result if Foreign companies will shy on Singapore...)

Stop drawing these false pictures and crying foul as if the Singaporean Employees are all the manual workers cleaning void decks and constructing HDBs and industrial buildings and not the foreigners and all Foreigners sitting on the medium to top jobs and punching the labour whip out to the Singaporeans in the lower ships hull.

You are trying to create a myth which holds no value to the truth of the workforce situation in Singapore.

You can stop with your Foreigner bashing and trying to create enmity between Singaporeans and Foreigners.

You are clearly barking up the wrong tree.

Please all Singaporeans who lost your job to any Foreigner come forward and step out of the bush!

Where are you???

The most disappointing here is, even after more than 10 hours there is not anyone criticizing on above post.

@singalion trying to push for more foreign trash to stay in Singapore again. 

CNA   29 Jul 2020

The overall unemployment rate rose to 2.9 per cent from 2.4 per cent in the preceding quarter, while total employment (excluding foreign domestic workers) plunged more than four-fold, preliminary data from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) on Wednesday (Jul 29) showed.

"However, unemployment rates remained lower than previous recessionary peaks during the global financial crisis and SARS," MOM added.

Overall unemployment rate hit 3.3 per cent in the third quarter of 2009, during the global financial crisis, and 4.8 per cent in the third quarter of 2003, amid the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) outbreak.

Resident unemployment rate – Singaporeans and permanent residents – rose to 3.9 per cent in the second quarter from 3.3 per cent in the preceding quarter, while the unemployment rate of Singaporeans increased from 3.5 per cent to 4 per cent. 

There were 90,500 unemployed residents in June 2020, of whom 79,600 were citizens

Retrenchments more than doubled in the second quarter to 6,700, from 3,220 in the previous quarter.

The number of retrenchments in the second quarter surpassed the 5,510 retrenchments in the second quarter of 2003 amid the SARS outbreak. It remained below the peak of 12,760, recorded the first quarter of 2009, during the global financial crisis.

Singapore is in the midst of a technical recession, after its economy contracted by two consecutive quarters in the first half of this year.

Advanced estimates from the Ministry of Trade and Industry earlier this month showed that the country’s economy shrunk by 41.2 per cent in the second quarter, following a 3.3 per cent decline in the first quarter. 

Guest Talking to Nuts
41 minutes ago, Guest hate instigator said:

The above passes are not necessary. All those positions, Singaporeans can do and would have driven down the rate of unemployment if those passes dissappeared. During LKY era, we don't even need those stuffs and LKY forbade too many foreigners here to saturate the job market.   According to statistic, those passes formed nearly 2/3 of the working population.  2/3 of job vacancies can go to Singaporeans willing to take up those position, why the need to issue EP & S passes and kept rising every year prior to the pandemic? Don't forget, we are not including the PR here, otherwise the equation is 60/40.  Do your maths.

Guest got a problem?
11 minutes ago, fab said:

So dbs is a foreign mnc? 

How many local grown corporations are there who have Foreigners as CEO or MD?

Please list them all here:

Second Question:

Has the value of DBS or market share in Singapore (or the world) declined since it hired the current CEO?

In other countries things are not different with such corporations: SAP had an American CEO for nearly 10 years, Daimler has a Swedish CEO, Google's CEO is Indian.

Your post is as stupid as plenty of your other posts at BW.

In fact it is already stupid because this guy you are hitting at has a Singaporean passport.

In any case there are always exceptions.

But it would interesting if you can dig out any other local corporations who have Foreigner as CEO...

Guest flawed maths
11 minutes ago, Guest Talking to Nuts said:

The above passes are not necessary. All those positions, Singaporeans can do and would have driven down the rate of unemployment if those passes dissappeared. During LKY era, we don't even need those stuffs and LKY forbade too many foreigners here to saturate the job market.   According to statistic, those passes formed nearly 2/3 of the working population.  2/3 of job vacancies can go to Singaporeans willing to take up those position, why the need to issue EP & S passes and kept rising every year prior to the pandemic? Don't forget, we are not including the PR here, otherwise the equation is 60/40.  Do your maths.

Just wonder who is talking nuts?

A)

How can the number of EP Holders and S Pass Holders make up 2/3 of the working population?

The total work force in Singapore is 3,740,8000 (inclusive of Foreign Workers (FDW, construction workers)

Singaporeans and PRs are at 2,328,500  (PRs at 530,000 but note not all of them are in the workforce = you can't deduct this number from the 2.3 mil)

EP at 193,700

S-Pass at 200,000

Total workforce: Singaporean, PRs, EP and S-Pass = 2,721,500

EP and SPass Holders just come up to just around 14.5% of the workforce.

Foreign Workers on work passes have been left out from the calculation, as Singaporeans don't want to work in those jobs.

Data: https://www.singstat.gov.sg/find-data/search-by-theme/economy/labour-employment-wages-and-productivity/latest-data

33 minutes ago, Guest Talking to Nuts said:

1 hour ago, Guest hate instigator said:

According to statistic, those passes formed nearly 2/3 of the working population. 

This statement made by this Guest is clearly false as per the statistics and simply intended to mislead from actual numbers and take things totally out of proportion to actual facts.

=> fake statement

B)

why the need to issue EP & S passes and kept rising every year prior to the pandemic?

Because the economy was growing and more demand for workforce to cater to the increase of business/employment and not any local Singaporean left to cater for rising job growth!

C)

Better re-do your maths.

On 9/16/2020 at 5:50 PM, Guest Guest FT can’t make it said:

I observed some FT can’t make it. Can’t speak proper English can’t write minutes can’t blend into our culture can’t produce results. I rather employ local. These FT should only do things that local not doing. Then it’s fair and square. 

These FT can't make it and yet they are able to survive here, able to get a job and work big bucks.

Guest flawed maths
44 minutes ago, Guest Talking to Nuts said:

A)

How can the number of EP Holders and S Pass Holders make up 2/3 of the working population?

The total work force in Singapore is 3,740,8000 (inclusive of Foreign Workers (FDW, construction workers)

Singaporeans and PRs are at 2,328,500  (PRs at 530,000 but note not all of them are in the workforce = you can't deduct this number from the 2.3 mil)

EP at 193,700

S-Pass at 200,000

Foreign Workers on work passes have been left out from the calculation, as Singaporeans don't want to work in those jobs.

Data: https://www.singstat.gov.sg/find-data/search-by-theme/economy/labour-employment-wages-and-productivity/latest-data

46 minutes ago, Guest Talking to Nuts said:
1 hour ago, Guest hate instigator said:

According to statistic, those passes formed nearly 2/3 of the working population.

This statement:

made by this Guest is clearly false as per the statistics and simply intended to mislead from actual numbers and take things totally out of proportion to actual facts.

=> fake statement

B)

why the need to issue EP & S passes and kept rising every year prior to the pandemic?

Because the economy was growing and more demand for workforce to cater to the increase of business/employment and not any local Singaporean left to cater for rising job growth!

C)

Better re-do your maths.

23 hours ago, tyan said:

Not true. I have at least 2 males friends. 1 is a former SQ cabin crew. Been in & out of several relationship. He is 45 now. Still single, looking great and good shape. Now setting up a company as boss. 

Another also 45, he is into horticulture. Every weekend and ph. He will spend his time at cck farm. No intention to settle down. He is committed his life to plants. 

Still can find such examples but percentage is not very high. Guys who is not married and stay single looks weird. Many people default would think all guys would get married, unless you are gay. Haha.

11 hours ago, mate69 said:

best to be single esp in singapore

u manage yr own finances and not have anyone leech on u in any way

Single is good if you are a high earner, at least you no need to worry much on money. If not being single, if anything happen in financially, there would be no one there to help you.

15 hours ago, Guest Passerby said:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/financial-independence-retire-early-fire.asp

16 hours ago, Guest flawed maths said:

A)

(PRs at 530,000 but note not all of them are in the workforce = you can't deduct this number from the 2.3 mil)

EP at 193,700

S-Pass at 200,000

Wow ... even your own numbers stated are quite alarming: 

Based on your own numbers stated above, the total work force in Singapore is 3,740,800, with Singaporeans and PRs totaling at 2,328,500 . This means that  Singaporeans stands at 1,798,500 if PRs stands at 530,000. And why should we assume that the PRs are not all in the workforce? If they are not, then why are they here in Singapore?? The entire number of PRs should be included as non-Singaporeans workers as well)

So based on your own numbers here, since there are only 1,798,500 Singaporeans in a workforce totaling 3,740,800, Singaporeans account for less than 50% of the workforce, at only 48%. And even at 48%, the authenticity of the numbers has always been questionable. For example, did the number of workforce take into consideration those who are working under the Training Employment Pass, Work Holiday Pass (under Work Holiday Programme), Training Work Permit, Dependant's Pass, Long Term Visit Pass, Pre-approved Letter of Consent, Letter of Consent, Miscellaneous Work Pass etc. If you throw all those inside, will the percentage really hits 2/3?  

And even if I am to say that my numbers are wrong, and your number that "EP and SPass Holders just come up to just around 14.5% of the workforce" is right. With such a large number of foreigners working in Singapore, we actually still have this local Singaporean here who has not been able to find a job for 4 months and need to sell off his HDB to go further his studies. So much for having a Singaporean "core". I guess it depends on where does people want to find the "Core". 

18 hours ago, Guest flawed maths said:

To make it worse, it was quite damning to hear the Minister going out to tell the entire nation that the foreigners in the banks are earning more than the locals. And his excuse is that these foreigners were specifically hired for high level jobs. Like what Leong Mun Wai had expressed, it is deeply disappointing that some of our own local banks did not even have a homegrown CEO after so many years. Why? Singaporeans do not want to take up the job? After so many decades of making Singapore into a financial hub, no Singaporeans are trained enough to become a top notch banker here? 

So what gives? And yet we still have people here in this country trying to fight for the foreign trash to stay here in Singapore. I wonder if our ancestors will be flipping in their graves if they knew this was the government they had allowed to take power for so many decades.

Guest 有何屁用?

Recently, kept seeing ads with the following being mentioned:

1)  Must be able to speak Arabic

2)  Must be able to speak Korean

3)  Must be able to speak French

4)  Must be able to speak this and that.

When you look at the job title and the qualification.  It is no brainer that local talent can do all the job, but because of the above mentioned "specific" requirements, it threw everyone into the trash bin.  Your MBA, 有何屁用?

Once you graduated, your apply for higher paying job, high position job, will come with possibility of regular overseas business, and even relocation.  Your motive of looking after your parents, became impossible to fulfill.  Your MBA, 有何屁用?

What if the above is strike off your list and you left with only few choices. Suddently, you found a job and report to a CED, son of a founder of the company, but your CEO only have "A" level qualification and dictate how your should work.  Your MBA, 有何屁用?

There isn't much of a choice, and you are not the only MBA in Singapore, all competing each other while most job advertisments prefer "Junior", "Fresh grads", "fresh from army",  "youngster environment" setting.  You, 47yo, with MBA 有何屁用?

I am not trying to put people trying to pursue higher qualification, that may come at a price later.  Not the price you paid for your study, but the price of being left out in the job market even with MBA.  If you think I am 在放屁, you have better think again.  I am speaking from experience

35 minutes ago, Guest 有何屁用? said:

Recently, kept seeing ads with the following being mentioned:

1)  Must be able to speak Arabic

2)  Must be able to speak Korean

3)  Must be able to speak French

4)  Must be able to speak this and that.

When you look at the job title and the qualification.  It is no brainer that local talent can do all the job, but because of the above mentioned "specific" requirements, it threw everyone into the trash bin.  Your MBA, 有何屁用?

Once you graduated, your apply for higher paying job, high position job, will come with possibility of regular overseas business, and even relocation.  Your motive of looking after your parents, became impossible to fulfill.  Your MBA, 有何屁用?

What if the above is strike off your list and you left with only few choices. Suddently, you found a job and report to a CED, son of a founder of the company, but your CEO only have "A" level qualification and dictate how your should work.  Your MBA, 有何屁用?

There isn't much of a choice, and you are not the only MBA in Singapore, all competing each other while most job advertisments prefer "Junior", "Fresh grads", "fresh from army",  "youngster environment" setting.  You, 47yo, with MBA 有何屁用?

I am not trying to put people trying to pursue higher qualification, that may come at a price later.  Not the price you paid for your study, but the price of being left out in the job market even with MBA.  If you think I am 在放屁, you have better think again.  I am speaking from experience

Bit like 读死书 already ~ 

Guest flawed maths
2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Wow ... even your own numbers stated are quite alarming: 

Based on your own numbers stated above, the total work force in Singapore is 3,740,800, with Singaporeans and PRs totaling at 2,328,500 . This means that  Singaporeans stands at 1,798,500 if PRs stands at 530,000. And why should we assume that the PRs are not all in the workforce? If they are not, then why are they here in Singapore?? The entire number of PRs should be included as non-Singaporeans workers as well)

So based on your own numbers here, since there are only 1,798,500 Singaporeans in a workforce totaling 3,740,800, Singaporeans account for less than 50% of the workforce, at only 48%. And even at 48%, the authenticity of the numbers has always been questionable. For example, did the number of workforce take into consideration those who are working under the Training Employment Pass, Work Holiday Pass (under Work Holiday Programme), Training Work Permit, Dependant's Pass, Long Term Visit Pass, Pre-approved Letter of Consent, Letter of Consent, Miscellaneous Work Pass etc. If you throw all those inside, will the percentage really hits 2/3?  

You can't take the number of all PRs and add to the workforce because not all are having jobs.

Please stop falsifying numbers just to make your initial point to look better or as if you wrote something correct.

Your statement was clearly false.

Reason:

You can be a PR and not in the workforce and must not be unemployed. Because you can be PR but housewife, child of a PR, non working Director or Shareholder, property owner, artist, mother, father...)

Result: Your number on the Singaporeans only in the workforce is wrong. The amount should be much higher.

Please stop taking some numbers from somewhere in my post to justify your false statements.

Even if you wrongly add the PRs of 530,000 to EP and SPass Holders against the public data, the foreigners* would still not amount to 2/3 of the workforce.

This was a clear misleading statement made by you in your first post.

*(Foreigner in this context = PRs, EP, and SPass)

Ask the Government or MOM why they don't publish the details of Singaporeans and PRs for each group in the workforce and publish how many Singaporeans and how many PRs there are in the workforce.

If you find the number of PRs in the workforce from official data, then publish it please.

And you can write to your MP to query on the number.

At the moment you can only guess on the number of Singaporeans in the workforce.

The others passes (Work Holiday Pass, Training Work Permit, Dependant's Pass, Long Term Visit Pass, Pre-approved Letter of Consent, Letter of Consent, Miscellaneous Work Pass) which you listed are placed to the main category. E.g.: The Training Employment Pass will be under the numbers of the EP holders.

Dependant's Pass Holders are children or spouse, in most cases (probably 90%) they do not work.

The number of workforce include all these Foreigners under the mentioned passes in the workforce data.

Miscellaneous work Passes are given to technical "visitors" from overseas parent companies, e.g. if there is a project from one company in Singapore and only one certain specialist, who works at the headquarter from overseas can perform some tasks or service a machine, he would be given this pass. The pass is only valid for 3 months in total.

There is one data sheet from MOM giving details on all different passes, but search it for yourself.

If you start attacking the PRs in Singapore, then you cut off a huge amount of Malaysian Chinese who convert to Singaporeans later on. They make up to about 2/3 of all PRs and 2/3 of all new citizens. I m not sure if it is a good move to shy away these people. Singaporeans just don't have sufficient kids for past 15 years and Malaysian Chinese seem quite close in culture, habits, belief and mindset to Singaporeans.

And again: Leave the Foreign Workers and Foreign Domestic Workers out of the discussion, or do you seriously want to say, these manual workers take jobs of locals???

And: If you don't have these manual Foreign Workers (Foreign Work Pass Holders in construction, marine, Shipping etc) who in Singapore will do the dirty jobs?

Singaporeans???

Guest flawed maths
2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

And even if I am to say that my numbers are wrong, and your number that "EP and SPass Holders just come up to just around 14.5% of the workforce" is right. With such a large number of foreigners working in Singapore, we actually still have this local Singaporean here who has not been able to find a job for 4 months and need to sell off his HDB to go further his studies. So much for having a Singaporean "core". I guess it depends on where does people want to find the "Core".

You are trying to make a connection that this James Ching Chee Keng did not find a job in 4 months because a foreigner had taken away his job or is sitting on his job.

It is his personal decision to sell his flat if he thinks he can increase his professional chances in finding a job by doing a MBA. We are not even sure he will be doing this.

But his motive is not because just 14.5 % of EP and SPass holders are taking his job or preventing him from getting a job.

To draw this conclusion seems a bit too much.

BECAUSE: You simply tend to ignore the Covid-19 crisis and consequences. The article clearly spelt out he lost his job as his former Employer closed down the business totally in Singapore due to Covid-19.

Don't try to create a blame into something which has no base at what is happening or what caused this James Ching to lose his job. And don't start blaming some 14.5 % of foreigners keeping him off from finding employment. Surely he doesn't seem to be in competition with S-Pass Holders.

And how can you say 14.5 % Foreigners  as EP and SPass Holders in the workforce that to be a large number?

In the US it is 18%, Luxembourg 48%, Switzerland 24%, ... Even Hongkong with a declining expat community due to business shifting away in the past 10 years still has a rate of 12%.

Guest flawed maths
3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

To make it worse, it was quite damning to hear the Minister going out to tell the entire nation that the foreigners in the banks are earning more than the locals. And his excuse is that these foreigners were specifically hired for high level jobs. Like what Leong Mun Wai had expressed, it is deeply disappointing that some of our own local banks did not even have a homegrown CEO after so many years. Why? Singaporeans do not want to take up the job? After so many decades of making Singapore into a financial hub, no Singaporeans are trained enough to become a top notch banker here? 

So what gives? And yet we still have people here in this country trying to fight for the foreign talent trash  to stay here in Singapore. I wonder if our ancestors will be flipping in their graves if they knew this was the government they had allowed to take power for so many decades.

a) You seem to ignore again (deliberately) Singapore was built as an immigrant society. Your own roots are those of an immigrant. Forgot???

Your ancestors will be flipping their graves because they are angry for having created such stupid and ignorant offspring.

b) Regarding the foreigners working in these banks: the headquarters implant the expertise into Singapore. It is very natural to have certain experts at the top level.

and you ignore global factors. Banks are joining their companies who spread out to Singapore. To keep this companies as clients and service the subsidiary, certain professionals from the origin countries are here. Third: Banks follow different strategies, someone from the headquarter must implement this.

Lastly, you forget: the higher the pay of Foreigners, the higher the income tax revenue for IRAS (again: 100% of Foreigners pay income tax in Singapore, for locals the rate is at 25%)

c) For very long DBS bank had a homegrown local CEO. You forget how it was.

In my view taking this person of Indian origin (who has always been a Singaporean since he joined DBS)  was a simple business motive. DBS started to enter into the Indian market and had an internationalisation drive.

If you look at his previous job, he did at Citibank what he exactly created for DBS to build DBS into a major regional bank covering South East Asia, South Asia and Pacific.

I assume, he must have been successful otherwise he would not have been on top of this bank for 11 years. I m sure the first 5 years the Board of Management from DBS watched him very closely. And it seems, this guys was quite successful in shaping DBS what it is now.

Early career and Citigroup

In 1982, Gupta started his career at Citibank India at the age of 22, as a management trainee.[8] He did several assignments with Citibank India, eventually being chief of staff to the India head, responsible for finance, technology, human resources and strategy. Gupta then moved to Singapore in 1991, as chief of staff to the Asia head. Gupta held positions of increasing responsibilities, moving into various senior management roles across Citi's corporate and consumer banking businesses, including head of strategic planning for emerging markets and regional director for global transaction services for Asia Pacific,[9] before being posted to Indonesia in 1998, as Citi's country manager. In 2000, he left Citigroup to start up a dot-com company, an internet portal called GO4i.com but closed his venture and re-joined Citigroup in 2001.[10] Gupta served as country officer in Malaysia from 2002 to 2007, where he helped built up Citigroup's branch network, before assuming the role of country officer in Singapore and the head of the Corporate and Investment Bank in ASEAN. In 2008, Gupta was appointed the chief executive officer of Citibank in South East Asia, Australia and New Zealand. In 2009, he left Citigroup to join DBS Group as chief executive officer.

«Harvard Business Review» has named DBS CEO Piyush Gupta in its 2019 edition of «The CEO 100», the publication's annual list of the world’s top chief executives.

Guest Gay detector
6 hours ago, Guest guest said:

You mean he is obviously gay just because he is single at 42 year old?

He look gay. He has that regular gym guy look and gym is where all the gay are. Then his singlehood became a double nail to seal the truth of our suspicion .

3 hours ago, Guest Gay detector said:

He look gay. He has that regular gym guy look and gym is where all the gay are. Then his singlehood became a double nail to seal the truth of our suspicion .

A guy who is in his 40s, single and gym regularly, and have a gym bod, equal to gay? Lucky i do not gym, do not have gym bod, maybe this is the reason no one suspect i am gay even i am single and 40s! Haha.

On 9/20/2020 at 12:33 AM, Guest guest said:

You mean he is obviously gay just because he is single at 42 year old?

On 9/20/2020 at 6:49 AM, Guest Gay detector said:

On 9/20/2020 at 10:16 AM, Guest guest said:

A guy who is in his 40s, single and gym regularly, and have a gym bod, equal to gay? Lucky i do not gym, do not have gym bod, maybe this is the reason no one suspect i am gay even i am single and 40s! Haha.

I always have to listen to so many complaints from gays in Singapore or Malaysia, once the Lunar New Year is approaching and the fear of going home  because all relatives will ask when you will marry and where your current girlfriend is and your fear they could judge you being gay or even gossip behind your back.

Somehow, here you behave the same like these of your aunties and uncles, cousins....

Even if he is gay, so what? It is his decision to be openly gay or not.

And for an interview at the local mainstream media, would you disclose you are gay???

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.