Male HQ

After a futile 4-month job hunt, I have decided to return to school at 42

Guest Guest

2 hours ago, sgmaven said:

As numerous HR studies have shown, most successful job candidates actually land jobs through their network, some even before the vacancy is officially advertised.

You talking about the network where locals has been displaced and the same ones which has been infiltrated by all those foreigners to the extent that the HR are also foreigners now? Good luck. 

2 hours ago, sgmaven said:

Let's face it, some of your want the cake and eat it as well. Singapore has benefited from global trade and the global economy by being competitive. The fact is, Singaporeans are losing their competitive edge, and real productivity has been plummeting.

Aren't those who want their 1st world lifestyle, but shun foreign PMETs, akin to the Americans who want their middle class lifestyle with just a highschool diploma?

What's wrong with having out cake and eating it? Isn't that what the government is paid top dollars to do? No? If they can't do the job, then don't take the salary. And by the way, real productivity has been plummeting for what reasons? Is it for the reason of more foreigners coming in, or less? You tell me. 

And why look down on Americans with only high school diplomas? https://www.kiwireport.com/29-billionaires-graduated-high-school

Guest Mid-career Job Seeker

“As numerous HR studies have shown, most successful job candidates actually land jobs through their network, some even before the vacancy is officially advertised.”

Many decent mid to high level managerial positions posted on job portals are just for show, to appease the public or authority. Some or most of these so-called vacancies were already pre-filled base on internal transfers or through pally recommendations internally. 

Guest Deluded
2 minutes ago, Guest Mid-career Job Seeker said:

“As numerous HR studies have shown, most successful job candidates actually land jobs through their network, some even before the vacancy is officially advertised.”

Job Bank is called JOKE BANKHR Agencies is called PR AgenciesTripatite is called mutual patting tribe.

The World is created for the delusional.  Wake up, and seek your own path and under your own terms and conditions.

8 minutes ago, sgmaven said:

I think you are the one who is seriously deluded!

Like what has been said: " If they can't do the job, then don't take the salary." They are not paid just hundred thousands of dollars. They are paid MILLIONS of dollars. If they want to take the easy way out and gets forced into a trade-off, anyone can do that type of a job at a fraction of the salary.

It's you who has been drugged and brainwashed for too long.

7 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I don't understand why the topic of cleaners and construction work jobs kept coming up for debates.

When we are talking or debating about foreigners...we are talking about PMET jobs!

Stop trying to divert attention.

it's the same with the government, everytime this topic of PMET jobs going to foreigners comes up, they will pretend and talk about how we need the foreign workers for construction and cleaning jobs etc... seriously, it's getting lame....do they even listen to what the issues are in the first place??

Agreed, they still could not get it right on the foreigners working in sg. They always say why sporeans cannot accept foreigners because we cannot do without them for construction and cleaning jobs?! Everytime hear the debate on the foreigners really sian. Talk for so many donkey years still the same.

22 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

They are not paid just hundred thousands of dollars. They are paid MILLIONS of dollars. If they want to take the easy way out and gets forced into a trade-off, anyone can do that type of a job at a fraction of the salary.

I would be interested to see who you support to take office, and what "magic" they can do...

Слава Україні!

12 minutes ago, sgmaven said:

Anyway, I think we are all straying from the topic of the thread, which is about going back to school as a 40+ yo...

It is still on topic 100% of the way. The topic is about going back to school as a 40+ yo. And the discussion is how it will turn out to be a completely useless endeavor for him at the end of his studies, especially with all the pro-foreigner employment climate. It's even worse now that he has to sell off his flat to do that. It's going to be a very bitter lessons for him to learn very soon. 

16 minutes ago, sgmaven said:

I would be interested to see who you support to take office, and what "magic" they can do...

That type of decision to lead to that type of trade-off, even limpeh can decide.

Come! I give you discount. I don't need you to pay me $1 million dollars. Just $500k will do. Great Singapore Sale already, OK?? Otherwise your trade off is to pay someone $1 million to get to those decision. That's your trade-off. Happy?  

Just now, Guest Guest said:

That type of decision to lead to that type of trade-off, even limpeh can decide.

Come! I give you discount. I don't need you to pay me $1 million dollars. Just $500k will do. Great Singapore Sale already, OK?? Otherwise your trade off is to pay someone $1 million to get to those decision. That's your trade-off. Happy?  

You are evading the fact that no one will fulfill what you are asking... Having the cake and eating it. Do not try to shift the topic to ministerial compensation. You said there is nothing wrong with wanting the cake and eating it. So who may I ask, will allow you to do that (political candidate)?

Слава Україні!

Guest harping wrong song
1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Wow ... just imagine each and every one of jobs which went into those EP, S-Pass holders gets thrown back to Singaporeans. I think our unemployment rate will be down to ZERO even in this climate. In fact, if only 10% to 20% of those S-pass numbers goes to the fresh grads, I think there will be no fresh grads who are without jobs already. But yet, look at this article in June 2020: https://www.todayonline.com/big-read/big-read-short-job-woes-class-2020

If you had taken any effort to read and understand the article you quoted you would have seen how dumb your post is:

Quote from the article in Today:

Normally, the 24-year-old who is fluent in both English and Thai and has internship experience at six firms, will be highly sought after.

But these are not normal circumstances.

After sending out more than 20 job applications in the last two months, his job search pretty much drew a blank amid the Covid-19 pandemic which has pummelled economies around the world.

For months you simply ignore the situation Singapore is currently facing is due to the Covid-19 crisis.

Second your point is dumb because it would mean you want graduates to work in substandard and lower paid jobs in the service sector, which constitutes the S-Pass sector.

You tend to ignore for most of the S-Pass categories being in the service industry such as customer relations, receptionist, front desk admin, telephone/hotline customer services, retail jobs and a big amount in the medical services.

Do you seriously want to tell Singaporean fresh graduates to work in these areas?

And do you think the fresh graduates intend to work in these area, for which they are not trained for?

And do you seriously want to tell Employers in Singapore they should sack their top management EP-Pass Holders to replace them with fresh inexperienced graduates or unemployed Singaporeans who in most cases would not have the qualification or expertise to work in these jobs???

This amount to asking fresh graduates to work as pilots without ever having received any pilot training...

You have a good talent at 99% of your posts to show everyone here in perfect display for not being able to intellectually understand common backgrounds.

Guest harping wrong song
8 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

As usual, the deliberate attempt to divert our attention away from the choicer PMETs jobs by trying to bring the topic into those low-end jobs. This is getting to be so lame ... only the attention-deficit people will keep falling into this trap over and over again. 

Dunno what u talking about this 14.5% figure and this faking of what 29% figure. But HOLY COW! If the entire population holds 14.5% foreigners in EP and S-Pass categories, it'd be a piece of cake to fire all of them and give the jobs to the local Singaporeans! There will be no local unemployment in Singapore and those foreigners can go look for jobs in their own home country!!! 

No clue what type of grammatical and logical crap you are talking about here.... 

Of course, just pay a good enough salary and anyone will do any jobs. But I guess foreigners are cheaper? 

DBS, StanChart, SIA ... all too small ... yeah right ... what did I say just now?  "the deliberate attempt to divert our attention away from the choicer PMETs jobs by trying to bring the topic into those low-end jobs. This is getting to be so lame ... only the attention-deficit people will keep falling into this trap over and over again. "

Gosh ... this is soooooo stupid!!! Not enough jobs for Singaporeans but got enough jobs for FOREIGNERS?? Looks who's talking about something "not only denial but dumb ignorance. now??

On a note: since when is Standard Chartered a Singaporean bank?

On 10/5/2020 at 8:37 PM, Guest Guest said:

How many "developed" countries allow almost the foreign population increase to get to almost 50% of the entire population?

The purpose for bringing the Foreign Workers in manual jobs into the picture was in response to your above statement.

You are the one who is harping on these Foreigners, who 95 % are working in Singapore. It was you who was diverting from the topic and drawing a false picture.

I just intended to make clear again, you should not bring up this number as Singaporeans are not willing to work on these 1 million manual jobs in the "dirty industries".  So leave these foreign workers in manual jobs out of the picture.

If we discuss on the just 14.5 % Foreign Employees (to the total workforce) in Singapore, then don't come with irrelevant numbers.

It is noted for you ignoring the link between job creation in Singapore and the influx of FDI. Further, you ignore the competitive situation in the region. Singapore has already a much higher level of salaries as all surrounding countries. By increasing salaries for Singaporeans employees (to attract locals working in these jobs) do you think companies would operate more competitive compared to the direct competitors?

And for certain jobs in the service sector did you waste any thought what would be the result of increasing the salaries in such service sectors to attract Singaporeans to work in these areas (medical, customer service, retail, hospitality...).

The result will be higher costs to use any such services in Singapore which would result in a further increase of living costs here.

If you think you can disengage Singapore from attracting FDI, then go ahead. But I don't think you are going to persuade anyone here.

Thank you for your above response to my post.

This was exactly the response I intended to receive from you following my post as it vastly reflects to all readers at BW the lack of intelligence on your part to understand the issues involved.

Guest anti - never pro
On 10/5/2020 at 11:00 AM, Guest Guest said:

So just go India and buy a degree for yourself. It will save you the time to study, and in the meanwhile you can do a job search. 

On 10/5/2020 at 8:37 PM, Guest Guest said:

How many "developed" countries allow almost the foreign population increase to get to almost 50% of the entire population? 

On 10/5/2020 at 9:01 PM, Guest Mid-career Job Seeker said:

Few of my Singaporean friends attended interviews conducted by hiring managers who are foreigners. Such an irony... whose the host now??

On 10/5/2020 at 9:47 PM, Guest Guest said:

Remember "Jobs for FTs, NS for Singaporeans"? And yet, by sitting on the issue for so many years, it is the government's implicit and explicit consent to sideline the local workforce. And even right now, our ministers are still treating trash to be talents. Why? Just because a few talents came in the past, so they open the floodgates to all the rest of the trash that flooded in as well. There's no filtration system in place, as we can see from all those fake degrees and unqualified workforce. The damage has long been done, and is still going on. There's no way to put Humpty Dumpty together ever again, no matter what we do now. Whatever that was created by LKY, is going to be completely destroyed by the son very soon, if not already so.

On 10/5/2020 at 10:41 PM, Guest guest said:

I think it have been long time many companies hiring managers and HR are foreigners. I don't know why it is so easy for foreigners to become HR in sg?

10 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

But HOLY COW! If the entire population holds 14.5% foreigners in EP and S-Pass categories, it'd be a piece of cake to fire all of them and give the jobs to the local Singaporeans! There will be no local unemployment in Singapore and those foreigners can go look for jobs in their own home country!!!

Of course, just pay a good enough salary and anyone will do any jobs. But I guess foreigners are cheaper

Gosh ... this is soooooo stupid!!! Not enough jobs for Singaporeans but got enough jobs for FOREIGNERS?? Looks who's talking about something "not only denial but dumb ignorance. now??

6 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

, when all these propaganda are nothing more than just illusions to give the masses false hopes, while the choicer jobs are given to other foreigners.

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

You talking about the network where locals has been displaced and the same ones which has been infiltrated by all those foreigners to the extent that the HR are also foreigners now? Good luck. 

What's wrong with having out cake and eating it? Isn't that what the government is paid top dollars to do? No? If they can't do the job, then don't take the salary. And by the way, real productivity has been plummeting for what reasons? Is it for the reason of more foreigners coming in, or less? You tell me.

And the discussion is how it will turn out to be a completely useless endeavor for him at the end of his studies, especially with all the pro-foreigner employment climate.

@sgmaven

It is wasted time to discuss in lengthy exchanges with this person and will lead to no solution.

If you take a look at the post, at every corner they are just aimed to paint on Foreigners.

The Guest person has this obsessive view, Singapore could be self reliant without any Foreigners and he parts the view to resolve any issues in sending all foreigners in Singapore back to their home countries (and any jobs should be just taken up by locals). 

The Guest person is followed by a second obsession for his view being the only correct one. He will continue fighting your point of view with no end in sight (the same as this same Guest person does in the US election thread) and even sidetracking once he has been caught for just posting illogical nonsense.

His third obsession derives from his style to lace all threads with government critic and link the threads with his political statements.

It is clear for any sound minded person as you SGmaven are: any extended discussion on the basis of the views of this Guest person is futile.

I don't want to interfere here as a foreigner talking about the SG job market,  but I have something to comment.

All I read here is about jobs in business, involving sitting in an office behind a monitor doing entry level work or with a little more responsibility that of a MBA.  Clean neat business attire and free coffee at will. 

Have you ever researched opportunities in JOBS THAT NO ONE WANTS TO DO OR THINKS ABOUT DOING?  There are many of these which fulfill real needs.  Many are technical jobs,  and there is nothing that disqualifies us gays from doing these from vocational schools: plumbing, electricity, air conditioning, car mechanics, aeronautical mechanic (not in demand due to pandemic), etc.  and from normal schooling but in tougher service positions.

I can speak of personal experience. After I got my engineering degree in Buenos Aires, I found out that there were no true engineering jobs available.  This city has an excellent free state university cranking out good professionals, but there was no industry that needed designers, for example.  All what engineers did was sales, customer service, installations of imported equipment, etc.   Then my uncles found an ad by an oil service company looking for young engineers, single, willing to work around the country in oil fields.  Work in oil fields?  This must be in the middle in nowhere, the dirtiest of jobs on oil rigs, with no fixed hours, removed from civilization... yuck!  And so it was!!  Five years as a field engineer, multiple assignments all over the country and in other South American countries. Working during Christmas, sometimes 48 hours straight... on offshore rigs... and... NO GAY SEX.   But this was just the beginning that opened my doors to a respectable engineering career in Houston, and I ended up working for 35 years at this multinational company.  That initial hard work when I was young, has been thereafter a source of satisfaction of being tough, like what a regular military service does. I hate to think what my destiny would have been, had I settled for some cozy jobs like most of my peers from engineering school did.

So my suggestion is:  life is long, so look also for opportunities in jobs that are overseen by those who want something splendid right away.  We can languish in a desirable job, or we can grow and triumph in some work that is out of the common path. 

But not everyone needs to do this.  I just want to remind that not all what shines is gold, and conversely, something that is unattractive can be a gold mine. :) 

Edited by Steve5380

12 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

All I read here is about jobs in business, involving sitting in an office behind a monitor doing entry level work or with a little more responsibility that of a MBA.  Clean neat business attire and free coffee at will.

I think part of the discussion about MBAs , is due to the fact that the person in the original article sold his flat to pursue his MBA.

That said, many in Singapore prefer to pursue office jobs in the heart of town, than more technical jobs like you mention. Not just Singaporean gays, but Singaporeans as a whole. When I took up my technical job in the industrial area of Singapore, after my grad school, my boss actually thought that I wouldn't want the job (due to the nature of the job and the location of work). I know some employers have had to resort to offering potential hires extra pay to work in Jurong Island, for example.

The unique part about Singapore, is that the government has resorted to using foreign labour to fill the majority of the places in less desirable work locations. Honestly, I do think Singaporeans are very pampered - Singapore is not a big country, but most object to commuting for an hour to go to work.

Not unique to Singapore, is the fact that many are drawn by the high pay of "city jobs". The US is not alone in losing many trained Scientists and Engineers to the banking and consulting industries.  What I guess is more unique to Singapore, is the disdain for more "manual" roles. That is why most jobs like carpenters, plumbers and service personnel for AC units, etc., have gone to foreigners (since hardly any Singaporean wants that kind of job). I even know of a friend who has problems finding crane operators in Singapore. A job, though "manual", can earn quite a good wage once you include the overtime pay (Singapore is always wanting to complete construction projects in double-quick time).

Слава Україні!

Guest I love Pandemic
9 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Have you ever researched opportunities in JOBS THAT NO ONE WANTS TO DO OR THINKS ABOUT DOING?  There are many of these which fulfill real needs.  Many are technical jobs,  and there is nothing that disqualifies us gays from doing these from vocational schools: plumbing, electricity, air conditioning, car mechanics, aeronautical mechanic (not in demand due to pandemic), etc.  and from normal schooling but in tougher service positions.

I think when people said JOBS NO ONE WILLING TO TAKE UP,  is a rather superficial statement.  It has became a political slogan used by our government to justify certain policies or agreement signed with India to allow our political holder to have network in India at the expense of local citizens. 

Briefly, the government ultimate intention is to blame Singaporeans, for not wanting to do cheap and laborious jobs, as a justification to bring in foreigners (to do high paying office jobs).  All done in enmasse.  There lie the root of the whole problems in Singapore job market.  That brings me to the next point.

JOBS NO ONE WILLING TO TAKE UP,  was not being fully understood enough.  The definition was often one-sided by the govenment and employers, who were often, the only people, granted Interviews on prime time news,  to allow them to shed tears and hurl contemptuous statements towards our people.   Our main-stream media do not have the freedom, nor courage to interview Singaporeans for a fair view on the matter.   Now back to the main issue.

JOBS NO ONE WILLING TO TAKE UP, ,  do they pay enough to cover the basic expenses. Are they even considered a living wage at all, that provide sustenance in this most expensive city in the world?  How do employers see these group of workers, and were they even being treated like human?   Cheap foreign labours, earn very little to bring home. They live in run-down quarter, infested with bed bugs, borrowed money, eat on cheap rice and plain soup, just to get by on long working hours. The paltry savings (if any), they send back to feed their family in village.  If that is the kind of JOBS SINGAPOREANS SHOULD DO, something is very wrong in this country, the way it treated its own citizen.  Singaporeans don't stay in village, but an overly inflated HDB with lenghty years of expensive mortgage to service and other living cost that government collected monthly.   If taking such JOBS NO ONE WILLING can still make you bankrupt eventually, what is the point to start with?

JOBS NO ONE WILLING TO TAKE UP, in PAP narrative, wasn't specific for a reason, to mislead investors into believing that those jobs include high paying, livable wages Singaporeans were not willing to take up and then sign agreement with foreign countries to import office workers, en-masse, to steal the jobs Singaporeans were willing to do.  As a result, all local agencies opened up its door, to foreign applications of different kind, with eyes closed. 

Proof is already in the Pudding.  Big tall skyscrappers, everywhere, built upon cheap, back-breaking effort of poor workers.   Developers became billionaires for making huge profit at the expensese of those cheap labour.  Foreign "talent" breeze freely into these new offices to steal job, living many jobless Singaporeans to become new poor of the century. Resulted in power shift to the rich people, including the government and weakening the rights of the less priviledge.  If you dare to speak up against such exploitation, meet the rich one in court with, if only you could afford.  

The rest became history, over the past 20 years,  until the arrival of Covit-19 which brought everything to its knees.    

• 2 months later...
Guest harping wrong song

Here are clear facts against the previous myth building by stating untrue facts:

Beware of these unsubstantiated propaganda and untrue slogan shouters here at BW

*********************************************************************************

The Independent Singapore - 17/12/2020

Foreigners account for total employment decline

Singapore—The latest labour market report from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) showed that foreigners composed almost nine out of ten of the total employment contraction for the first three quarters of this year.

This figure excludes foreign domestic workers, however. Moreover, things are looking up for resident employment, which the report says has experienced a “strong rebound.”

That the vast majority of total employment contortion involved foreign workers was the key observation from the report, which affirmed an earlier assessment made in the Labour Market Advance Release that signs of improvement can be seen in the third quarter of 2020.

MOM’s labour market report, published on Thursday, Dec 17, showed that while Singapore’s total number of employed persons still fell in the third quarter of the year, but it occurred at a markedly slower place.

Employment for residents has risen to levels close to what they were before the pandemic, at 2.34 million people employed.

MOM said that this “strong rebound in resident employment” in the third quarter “offset most of the declines we saw in the first two quarters of the year.”

The report, released by MOM’s Research and Statistics Department, said that the rebound in the employment of Singaporean residents is a reflection of the strong support measures for local employment, which include the Jobs Support Scheme and programmes under the SGUnited Jobs and Skills Package.

The third quarter of 2020 did not bring good tidings for non-residents, however, whose employment declined in this period at an even swifter pace than in the first and second quarters of the year.

MOM’s labour market report also outlined other indicators that showed an uptick on labour market activity, including:

“Significantly fewer” workers being placed on short workweek or temporary layoff in the third quarter of the year (34,240) compared to the previous quarter (81,720).

A rise in average paid hours worked from 43.4 hours per week in June 2020 to 43.8 hours in September 2020, which the report says is indicative of more overtime hours served.

An increase in job vacancies for the first time in 2020, to 49,600 in September of this year. This has resulted in an improvement in Singapore’s job vacancy to unemployed ratio, from 0.60 to 0.57 from the second quarter to the third quarter.

In the conclusion of the report, it was warned that the “labour market recovery may remain protracted beyond the immediate rebound.” However, the National Jobs Council will continue to concentrate on matching local jobseekers to available openings, as well as provide re-skilling as needed. Almost 60,000 locals had been matched with jobs by the end of October.

Another boost to local employment has been the S$1 billion Jobs Growth Incentive that provides up to 50 per cent salary support for eligible new local hires from September 2020 to February 2021.

Finally, it will be much more convenient for jobseekers since Workforce Singapore (WSG) set up the SGUnited Jobs and Skills Centres in all HDB towns as well as deployed the mobile Careers Connect On-the-Go (CCOTG) to bring career coaching services close to where people are. Sites such as MyCareersFuture.gov.sg also provide resources to aid jobseekers. —/TISG

Straits Times 17/12/2020

Foreigners made up 9 in 10 of Singapore's total employment decline in Jan-Sept

SINGAPORE - Foreigners accounted for almost nine in 10 of Singapore's total employment contraction in the first three quarters of this year, according to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM)'s labour market report out on Thursday (Dec 17).

This was due to a strong rebound in the employment of residents, namely Singaporeans and permanent residents, said the MOM. Its employment figures do not include foreign domestic workers.

The MOM said other indicators also point to a gradual pickup in the labour market, although the number of retrenched workers rose in the third quarter compared with the preceding three months.

From January to September this year, the total number of people working, excluding foreign domestic workers, fell by 158,700.

Non-residents made up 139,100 of this figure, while resident employment declined by a significantly slimmer margin of 19,600.

The MOM said the rebound in resident employment in the third quarter offset most of the earlier declines for this segment of workers.

Resident employment rose by 43,200 to 2.34 million in September, only 0.4 per cent lower than the same month last year.

Manpower Minister Josephine Teo said: "The strong support measures for local employment played a key part in stabilising the job market and employment situation."

These include the Jobs Support Scheme and guidelines provided by the National Wages Council, which went towards preserving a strong Singaporean core across all sectors, she said.

Non-resident employment, excluding foreign domestic workers, continued to slide in the third quarter. The 72,300 drop was sharper than in the first two quarters of the year.

The non-resident employment declines were seen most strongly in construction, manufacturing, transportation and storage, and administrative and support services.

But the arts, entertainment and recreation sector saw resident employment declines as well.

On the other hand, the public administration and education, health and social services, and information and communications sectors saw increases in resident employment.

There was also a rebound in food and beverage services, reversing two straight quarters of decline.

Other indicators also point to labour market improvement, with seasonally adjusted unemployment rates still rising in September by 3.6 per cent, but at a slower pace than before, the MOM said.

"Residents in their 40s and 50s, and residents with secondary and below education saw relatively larger increases in their unemployment rates compared to other age and education groups," the report noted.

More Retrenchments

The number of retrenchments rose to 9,120 to in the third quarter from 8,130 in the second quarter.

"This was due to higher retrenchments in arts, entertainment and recreation, and air transport-related industries," the MOM said.

However, retrenchments declined in other sectors such as financial services, wholesale trade and food and beverage services.

Among resident employees, the incidence of retrenchments among professionals, managers, executives and technicians (PMETs) rose, from 2.7 to 3.7 laid off per 1,000 PMET employees.

The incidence for non-PMETs held steady over the quarter, at 4.3 retrenched per 1,000 non-PMET employees.

But Ms Teo cautioned: “We are mindful that moving forward, we will still see retrenchments and people making transitions as transformation efforts continue. The challenge for us now is looking forward into the future and identifying priorities for all agencies to work on together.”

Permanent Secretary for Manpower Aubeck Kam said: “Looking ahead, uncertainties in the economic environment and weak demand conditions will continue to weigh on the recovery of the labour market. 

“Covid-19 has also accelerated the pace of business transformation and we have to prepare that unlike cyclical downturns, some jobs may not return. As such, labour market recovery may continue well beyond the immediate rebound but may remain protracted.”

“For employers, there is a strong need to focus on building the local workforce,” said Ms Teo, noting that this will also mean the ability to create new and better jobs as firms transform.

She added: ”We want job seekers to have greater awareness of where the opportunities are, and we want to give them strong support to transit into new roles and industries.”

13 minutes ago, Guest harping wrong song said:

Here are clear facts against the previous myth building by stating untrue facts:

Beware of these unsubstantiated propaganda and untrue slogan shouters here at BW

*********************************************************************************

The Independent Singapore - 17/12/2020

Foreigners account for total employment decline

Singapore—The latest labour market report from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) showed that foreigners composed almost nine out of ten of the total employment contraction for the first three quarters of this year.

This figure excludes foreign domestic workers, however. Moreover, things are looking up for resident employment, which the report says has experienced a “strong rebound.”

That the vast majority of total employment contortion involved foreign workers was the key observation from the report, which affirmed an earlier assessment made in the Labour Market Advance Release that signs of improvement can be seen in the third quarter of 2020.

MOM’s labour market report, published on Thursday, Dec 17, showed that while Singapore’s total number of employed persons still fell in the third quarter of the year, but it occurred at a markedly slower place.

Employment for residents has risen to levels close to what they were before the pandemic, at 2.34 million people employed.

MOM said that this “strong rebound in resident employment” in the third quarter “offset most of the declines we saw in the first two quarters of the year.”

The report, released by MOM’s Research and Statistics Department, said that the rebound in the employment of Singaporean residents is a reflection of the strong support measures for local employment, which include the Jobs Support Scheme and programmes under the SGUnited Jobs and Skills Package.

The third quarter of 2020 did not bring good tidings for non-residents, however, whose employment declined in this period at an even swifter pace than in the first and second quarters of the year.

MOM’s labour market report also outlined other indicators that showed an uptick on labour market activity, including:

“Significantly fewer” workers being placed on short workweek or temporary layoff in the third quarter of the year (34,240) compared to the previous quarter (81,720).

A rise in average paid hours worked from 43.4 hours per week in June 2020 to 43.8 hours in September 2020, which the report says is indicative of more overtime hours served.

An increase in job vacancies for the first time in 2020, to 49,600 in September of this year. This has resulted in an improvement in Singapore’s job vacancy to unemployed ratio, from 0.60 to 0.57 from the second quarter to the third quarter.

In the conclusion of the report, it was warned that the “labour market recovery may remain protracted beyond the immediate rebound.” However, the National Jobs Council will continue to concentrate on matching local jobseekers to available openings, as well as provide re-skilling as needed. Almost 60,000 locals had been matched with jobs by the end of October.

Another boost to local employment has been the S$1 billion Jobs Growth Incentive that provides up to 50 per cent salary support for eligible new local hires from September 2020 to February 2021.

Finally, it will be much more convenient for jobseekers since Workforce Singapore (WSG) set up the SGUnited Jobs and Skills Centres in all HDB towns as well as deployed the mobile Careers Connect On-the-Go (CCOTG) to bring career coaching services close to where people are. Sites such as MyCareersFuture.gov.sg also provide resources to aid jobseekers. —/TISG

Straits Times 17/12/2020

Foreigners made up 9 in 10 of Singapore's total employment decline in Jan-Sept

SINGAPORE - Foreigners accounted for almost nine in 10 of Singapore's total employment contraction in the first three quarters of this year, according to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM)'s labour market report out on Thursday (Dec 17).

This was due to a strong rebound in the employment of residents, namely Singaporeans and permanent residents, said the MOM. Its employment figures do not include foreign domestic workers.

The MOM said other indicators also point to a gradual pickup in the labour market, although the number of retrenched workers rose in the third quarter compared with the preceding three months.

From January to September this year, the total number of people working, excluding foreign domestic workers, fell by 158,700.

Non-residents made up 139,100 of this figure, while resident employment declined by a significantly slimmer margin of 19,600.

The MOM said the rebound in resident employment in the third quarter offset most of the earlier declines for this segment of workers.

Resident employment rose by 43,200 to 2.34 million in September, only 0.4 per cent lower than the same month last year.

Manpower Minister Josephine Teo said: "The strong support measures for local employment played a key part in stabilising the job market and employment situation."

These include the Jobs Support Scheme and guidelines provided by the National Wages Council, which went towards preserving a strong Singaporean core across all sectors, she said.

Non-resident employment, excluding foreign domestic workers, continued to slide in the third quarter. The 72,300 drop was sharper than in the first two quarters of the year.

The non-resident employment declines were seen most strongly in construction, manufacturing, transportation and storage, and administrative and support services.

But the arts, entertainment and recreation sector saw resident employment declines as well.

On the other hand, the public administration and education, health and social services, and information and communications sectors saw increases in resident employment.

There was also a rebound in food and beverage services, reversing two straight quarters of decline.

Other indicators also point to labour market improvement, with seasonally adjusted unemployment rates still rising in September by 3.6 per cent, but at a slower pace than before, the MOM said.

"Residents in their 40s and 50s, and residents with secondary and below education saw relatively larger increases in their unemployment rates compared to other age and education groups," the report noted.

More Retrenchments

The number of retrenchments rose to 9,120 to in the third quarter from 8,130 in the second quarter.

"This was due to higher retrenchments in arts, entertainment and recreation, and air transport-related industries," the MOM said.

However, retrenchments declined in other sectors such as financial services, wholesale trade and food and beverage services.

Among resident employees, the incidence of retrenchments among professionals, managers, executives and technicians (PMETs) rose, from 2.7 to 3.7 laid off per 1,000 PMET employees.

The incidence for non-PMETs held steady over the quarter, at 4.3 retrenched per 1,000 non-PMET employees.

But Ms Teo cautioned: “We are mindful that moving forward, we will still see retrenchments and people making transitions as transformation efforts continue. The challenge for us now is looking forward into the future and identifying priorities for all agencies to work on together.”

Permanent Secretary for Manpower Aubeck Kam said: “Looking ahead, uncertainties in the economic environment and weak demand conditions will continue to weigh on the recovery of the labour market. 

“Covid-19 has also accelerated the pace of business transformation and we have to prepare that unlike cyclical downturns, some jobs may not return. As such, labour market recovery may continue well beyond the immediate rebound but may remain protracted.”

“For employers, there is a strong need to focus on building the local workforce,” said Ms Teo, noting that this will also mean the ability to create new and better jobs as firms transform.

She added: ”We want job seekers to have greater awareness of where the opportunities are, and we want to give them strong support to transit into new roles and industries.”

Then ... then .... why is @singalion still around ah ???? 

You still failed to realise?

To make you identify  your lack of skill and knowledge which you have displayed so prominently at BW and to improve your skill sets, knowledge and understanding and enhance your abilities to take on the challenges waiting for you in the future...

Simple as that...

But I admit there are some creatures which are hopeless and every effort would be probably wasted...

4 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

There are occasions like this one that prove the difference between the regular performers and the very good ones. 

Agree. Like in this case, Foreigners made up 9 in 10 of Singapore's total employment decline in Jan-Sept. There's your proof that there are too many foreign trash with us. 

44 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Agree. Like in this case, Foreigners made up 9 in 10 of Singapore's total employment decline in Jan-Sept. There's your proof that there are too many foreign trash with us. 

But the very good foreigners are still around, like you commented about.

8 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

But the very good foreigners are still around, like you commented about.

Errrrr.... you mean like the angmoh prata-man who would obscure out some facts about the year of population statistics to win his argumens, and also the same one who forgot that he spoke about the SGD:MYR exchange rates just a few post prior? If that is the type of very "good foreigners" left hanging around, then really ..... errrrrrrrrrrrr.

There's still a lot of housecleaning to do. 

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Smart right ?
1 hour ago, Dart said:

There's no edge to learning. It's better to take up a course than to idle about. It's a window of opportunity to a new career.

I did intercourse, in case you think I am idling. 

9 hours ago, Dart said:

There's no edge to learning. It's better to take up a course than to idle about. It's a window of opportunity to a new career.

Cannot agree with this statement "It's better to take up a course than to idle about". What's the point of taking up a course which will not do you any good in the future, and instead it will just be a waste of your time and effort. Look at how business and engineering graduates are now looking high and low for jobs, while the foreigners just comes in to undercut them on salaries demand. Even a recent position listed by Tesla Singapore requires the candidate to speak HINDI https://mothership.sg/2021/01/tesla-ad-singapore-fluent-in-hindi/ What does this say? You can learn any skills that you think you want. But employers can use any excuse not to hire you if they don't want you. 

And all these are done blatantly right under the nose of MOM. 

Guest SGDream

That’s why now poly/ite offer course to let you be hawkers, stick to your coolie genes and serve your masters food, then they feature multi millionaire hawkers in the media to tease and bait you into thinking you may be the next one. Better luck buying toto.

Cannot agree with this statement "It's better to take up a course than to idle about". What's the point of taking up a course which will not do you any good in the future, and instead it will just be a waste of your time and effort. Look at how business and engineering graduates are now looking high and low for jobs, while the foreigners just comes in to undercut them on salaries demand. Even a recent position listed by Tesla Singapore requires the candidate to speak HINDI https://mothership.sg/2021/01/tesla-ad-singapore-fluent-in-hindi/ What does this say? You can learn any skills that you think you want. But employers can use any excuse not to hire you if they don't want you. 

And all these are done blatantly right under the nose of MOM. 

This is so so true

About the Hindi language  requirement in the Tesla job ad is probably an error done by a very educated American or an ignorant Singaporean (maybe a clueless one in one of the HR search companies) not knowing the Indian workers being mostly from Tamil speaking areas in India or Bangladeshi.

But you can’t say the job advertisement was discriminatory because Singaporeans were able to apply for the job! You just needed knowledge of Hindi. 

The job ad made clear knowing other local languages was a bonus such as Hokkien, Cantonese  or Teochew (or maybe Tagalog and Burmese...)

Just wonder what a logistics analyst with Tesla does? 

The stunning point was more the request for someone with tertiary education looking at the job tasks , is ITE already considered “tertiary”?  but could have been understood as having made a skills future course in Indian cuisine with attendance confirmation ...

The job ad screams to me it was the draft for the 1 month jobs bank mandatory posting... post it there and expect no one to apply... then you can hire whom you want. 

That is what happens if you come up with such protective requirements...

32 minutes ago, Guest Job ad said:

About the Hindi language  requirement in the Tesla job ad is probably an error done by a very educated American or an ignorant Singaporean (maybe a clueless one in one of the HR search companies) not knowing the Indian workers being mostly from Tamil speaking areas in India or Bangladeshi.

But you can’t say the job advertisement was discriminatory because Singaporeans were able to apply for the job! You just needed knowledge of Hindi. 

The job ad made clear knowing other local languages was a bonus such as Hokkien, Cantonese  or Teochew (or maybe Tagalog and Burmese...)

The stunning point was more the request for someone with tertiary education looking at the job tasks , is ITE already considered “tertiary”?  but could have been understood as having made a skills future course in Indian cuisine with attendance confirmation ...

The job ad screams to me it was the draft for the 1 month jobs bank mandatory posting... post it there and expect no one to apply... then you can hire whom you want. 

How to Whitewash Wood - Maison de Pax

Best Scrubbing GIFs | Gfycat

1 hour ago, Guest Job ad said:

Some people here are not fit or lack the intelligence to spot a humouristic approach to the subject...

Laughing is healthy!

Be optimistic, don’t be negative. Learn to gain strength even if you are at a downpoint. 

I wonder how this guy who sold away his HDB to further his studies is to feel right now, knowing that our Minister of Education just said this:  Lawrence Wong: Pandemic raises questions on the value of university education (msn.com) 

Lawrence Wong: Pandemic raises questions on the value of university education

"The Education Minister also emphasised that getting a university education is not a prerequisite for work."

"In his interview, he added that the skills learned in university may grow irrelevant quickly, due to rapid developments."

I can almost hear the students all quitting schools now. I guess that's why they are encouraging Singaporean to go into hawker life, so that they can bring in foreigners by plane loads to fill up the positions in the Finance, Engineering and other industries in Singapore. 

Guest sniggers

Come on! So negative again...

With so many one * Michelin Hawkers in Singapore and nowhere else in the world.

And now Hawker culture is even UNESCO World Heritage.

One time (if crossing the border had been allowed) the Malaysian immigration officer (if crossing the border had been allowed) had not given you any sniggers but thumbs up and you're so damn negative on the prospects of young entrepreneurial hawker start ups... especially those with post graduate degrees!

And I guess the Minister is just realistic, no big players coming to Singapore and setting up big here, then you need to shift your focus to the domestic market...

Isn't that the Minister from the Covid-19 panel of wisdom? You can't even say he did not learn during the Covid-19 crisis...
At least he is coming down rock bottom...

Guest let locals do the jobs
2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I wonder how this guy who sold away his HDB to further his studies is to feel right now, knowing that our Minister of Education just said this:  Lawrence Wong: Pandemic raises questions on the value of university education (msn.com) 

"The Education Minister also emphasised that getting a university education is not a prerequisite for work."

"In his interview, he added that the skills learned in university may grow irrelevant quickly, due to rapid developments."

I can almost hear the students all quitting schools now. I guess that's why they are encouraging Singaporean to go into hawker life, so that they can bring in foreigners by plane loads to fill up the positions in the Finance, Engineering and other industries in Singapore. 

But it is just the opposite!!!

For years you have been preaching here, Foreigners should not steal jobs from locals and then the first Minister is starting on the program to reduce the amount of foreign workers and you have nothing better to do and complain again.

There is nothing to do right with you.

How to reduce the amount of foreign workers if locals are not filling the posts for those type of jobs where you don't require university education, such as Customer service managers, retail assistants, construction and street building workers, rubbish collectors,  if you don't get Singaporeans doing these jobs???

And even for exciting jobs such as counting the amount of pedestrians on a road or cars passing by at a traffic light to later get the algorithms right for Artificial Intelligence and big tech, you don't need a university degree. Let's be honest.

The Minister is just preparing everyone for what you have been asking for all these years. Less foreigners and less foreign workers in Singapore and more jobs for locals!

And look where you got the biggest numbers of Foreigners.

Yes, exactly. nearly a million at these job sectors.

Can you once start to think logic?

This is the fastest way to achieve lower numbers of Foreigners and Foreign workers in Singapore.

The Minister is just smart...

15 hours ago, Guest let locals do the jobs said:

But it is just the opposite!!!

For years you have been preaching here, Foreigners should not steal jobs from locals and then the first Minister is starting on the program to reduce the amount of foreign workers and you have nothing better to do and complain again.

There is nothing to do right with you.

How to reduce the amount of foreign workers if locals are not filling the posts for those type of jobs where you don't require university education, such as Customer service managers, retail assistants, construction and street building workers, rubbish collectors,  if you don't get Singaporeans doing these jobs???

And even for exciting jobs such as counting the amount of pedestrians on a road or cars passing by at a traffic light to later get the algorithms right for Artificial Intelligence and big tech, you don't need a university degree. Let's be honest.

The Minister is just preparing everyone for what you have been asking for all these years. Less foreigners and less foreign workers in Singapore and more jobs for locals!

And look where you got the biggest numbers of Foreigners.

Yes, exactly. nearly a million at these job sectors.

Can you once start to think logic?

This is the fastest way to achieve lower numbers of Foreigners and Foreign workers in Singapore.

The Minister is just smart...

Thank you so much for proving to everyone here how much foreign trash is pushing for the local Singaporeans to go into jobs that don't require university education, while the PMET jobs all go to the foreign trash. 

Guest misrepresentation
19 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Anyhow, as usual your post was misleading and posting false things: 

This is what the Minister said: 

Traditional degree route not a must before going out to work: Lawrence Wong

Straits Times Jan 18, 2021

Education Minister Lawrence Wong, who released the figures in an interview with The Straits Times, said if the situation continues, his ministry is willing to make more places available this year as well.

Going forward though, Mr Wong said now that the Government is encouraging Singaporeans to keep learning and upgrading their skills throughout their life, planning for university places based on the cohort participation rate of 40 per cent - as is currently the case - becomes less relevant.

"We have been talking about SkillsFuture and lifelong learning. So, there's no need to front-load four years of education before you go out to work. You can have a chance to get a university degree or further education any time through your working life.

"I expect some proportion of students will still do that - to go to university for their first degree before going out to work, but increasingly you will see more pathways for students to go for further studies when they are older, in the course of their working life."

He also stressed that those aspiring for a degree need not take the traditional four-year route but consider other routes including alternating between work and study.

While saying that Singapore must further improve its technical and vocational education, he also had good advice for young people on how to make the most of their university education.

You can do nothing else than mislead people here with your wrong propaganda statements. Even need to resort to misquote the Ministers so it can fit your image in placarding the situation as you believe it to be. What you do is a misrepresentation.

With such posts you only cause to discredit yourself even further resulting for no one taking your post seriously.

At no point the minister said students should not pursue any university degrees and take up hawker jobs.

The picture and speech from Minister Wong fits more to the 42y old Singaporean to take up a Master course at his advanced age...

On 1/19/2021 at 4:38 PM, Guest misrepresentation said:

"We have been talking about SkillsFuture and lifelong learning. So, there's no need to front-load four years of education before you go out to work. You can have a chance to get a university degree or further education any time through your working life.

Yeah lor .... no need to front-load 4 years of education before you go to work. You can always try studying part time. This way, you can let your CECA bosses have the excuse to fire you cos you need to take leave to study or take exam, just like reservist like that. Even if they don't fire you, they show their black black face. 

While saying that Singapore must further improve its technical and vocational education, he also had good advice for young people on how to make the most of their university education.

"further improve its technical and vocational education" for what? As long as got CECA and PRC, no need for anyone to "further improve its technical and vocational education" at all. Just import them will do. 

The picture and speech from Minister Wong fits more to the 42y old Singaporean to take up a Master course at his advanced age...

Take up Masters course for what? Better to study Hindi. Masters degree no longer a requirement. Knowledge of Hindi is a job criteria now. 

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately, his situation is common today.  In the US,  nearly 10 million people lost their employment due to the pandemic.

He should not have withheld notification to his parents.  They may have been able to retrench too.  And what is wrong with his sisters helping with parents when he cannot work?    And maybe one of his parents could have found a job too?  He washing dishes, she doing menial work or whatever?

But he did right in not sacrificing his education, but continued his studies towards the MBA.  There is no age limit to learn, and with the degree he should be able to make up for what the degree did cost him.

It seems that so many BW gays are in business!   Business have ups and downs.   Not only a pandemic but a recession can wipe out their jobs.   It may help to have some abilities that are essential to society, no matter what.  These abilities fall in the medical and technical categories.  If instead of business he had chosen nursing, medical technology, doctor assistant, and, why not if he is smart, medicine...  people get sick all the time and their medical attention is their first priority. A technical vocational field is equally important:  car mechanic,  electrician, plumber, air conditioning technician, etc.  Society always needs these services,  and to do them is not as attractive as to work in a nice office with suit and tie, flirting with the secretaries...  ( there are male secretaries too ), so there may be some worker shortages in this field.

The best could be if he is flexible, if he pursues an intellectual career yet he has inclination for mechanics, electricity, fixes his own car, repairs everything at home, changes his light bulbs... 

Guest You do not understand
On 1/27/2022 at 11:00 PM, Steve5380 said:

Unfortunately, his situation is common today.  In the US,  nearly 10 million people lost their employment due to the pandemic.

But he did right in not sacrificing his education, but continued his studies towards the MBA.  There is no age limit to learn, and with the degree he should be able to make up for what the degree did cost him.

You have no idea about Singapore.  Your unemployment rate in America is just 3%, while Singapore love to massage its statistic to look politically correct but in reality, the unemployment rate is so much higher here.   Furthermore, the work "employment" is poorly defined in Singapore, to bring up the "employment" rate.

On 1/28/2022 at 8:35 AM, Guest You do not understand said:

You have no idea about Singapore.  Your unemployment rate in America is just 3%, while Singapore love to massage its statistic to look politically correct but in reality, the unemployment rate is so much higher here.   Furthermore, the work "employment" is poorly defined in Singapore, to bring up the "employment" rate.

Well said. Someone has the cheek to compare spore with US. My toes are laughing.

Edited by cutejack

On 1/27/2022 at 7:32 PM, cutejack said:

Well said. Someone has the check to compare spore with US. My toes are laughing.

How nice that your toes are laughing.  But there are millions of  Americans who lost their jobs and are not laughing, the same as Singaporeans who lost theirs.  So the two cases cannot be TOO different.  And Americans are spoiled, so if they cannot move on to bigger houses and more expensive cars,  they feel that they are victimized.

On 1/28/2022 at 12:24 AM, fab said:

If same guy, why open a new thread?

Why so kaypo? Different topic right.

Everytime a thread is combined, the discussion becomes dead.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.